|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Toinette say that Beline would never do to Argan?
(a) Have an affair.
(b) Set a trap for him.
(c) Steal his money.
(d) Lie to him.
2. What three characters discuss the arrival of the new doctor?
(a) Toinette, Argan and Mr. Purgon.
(b) Toinette, Argan and Beralde.
(c) Argan, Mr. Purgon and Beralde.
(d) Argan, Beralde and Angelique.
3. Who says, "And you have your daughters"?
4. What does Argan wish after Beline leaves the room?
(a) That he was dead.
(b) That his first wife was alive.
(c) That the doctor was there.
(d) That Beline was dead.
5. In Act 3, Scene 16, to prove Beline's love, what does Toinette ask Argan to pretend?
(a) To be a music teacher.
(b) To be healthy.
(c) To hate Beline.
(d) To be dead.
6. What does the new doctor tell Toinette he is not certain of?
(a) Argan's illness.
(b) The location of his coachman.
(c) The location of Argan's door.
(d) The laws of Paris.
7. What country is the setting of the play?
8. Who comments on all the mysterious doors in Argan's home?
(d) The new doctor.
9. Whom does Toinette say works a miracle?
(d) Mr. Purgon.
10. Through the use of non-verbal communication, what does Toinette try to tell Angelique?
(a) That Argan is not really dead.
(b) That Cleante is hiding.
(c) That Beline is in the next room.
(d) That Beralde is hiding.
11. What character is disguised as a doctor?
12. Why does Toinette say the new doctor has not returned?
(a) He is lost.
(b) Belarde offended him.
(c) He was called away.
(d) Argan offended him.
13. What action does the medical faculty do when entering Argan's room?
(a) They take Argan's pulse.
(b) They examine Argan's medicines.
(c) They lift Argan up.
(d) They circle Argan.
14. Why does Argan first refuse Cleante's proposal?
(a) He is too ill to make a decision.
(b) He promised Thomas Diaforus.
(c) He believes Cleante is a music teacher.
(d) Beline does not wish it.
15. Where does Toinette eventually get Argan's glass of water?
(a) From his table.
(b) From the well.
(c) She does not get him a glass of water.
(d) From the kitchen.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the new doctor leaves, why does Toinette say she returns?
2. Who calls for Toinette after Beralde hides?
3. How long does the new doctor tell Argan to remain resting in his room?
4. Who reassures Argan that the new doctor's disappearance is nothing to worry about?
5. Who says, "Don't talk such drivel"?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)