|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was not an accurate description, according to O'Brien, of the men who make up Alpha company?
2. Which of the following is the best synonym for disdain as it is used in the following sentence? He looks with disdain on those that flourish in basic training.
3. After the attack on which village does O'Brien lose a buddy?
4. Which of the following adjectives best describes O'Brien's childhood?
5. To which company is O'Brien first assigned?
Short Essay Questions
1. What provides O'Brien with his only intellectual connection?
2. What do the soldiers often do on the long routine marches that sometimes alerts the enemy to their location?
3. How do the soldiers react to these self-induced injuries caused by soldiers tossing about their own grenades?
4. What causes fear and paranoia in the soldiers?
5. After he starts his interest in politics, what does O'Brien begin to do?
6. To whom does O'Brien write as he continues his plan to desert to Sweden?
7. What do the soldiers learn how to do at the combat center?
8. Describe how the soldiers feel during the fire fight.
9. What philosophical conversation does O'Brien attempt to hold with the captain?
10. What do the soldiers do that provokes a few Viet Cong hiding in the jungle to open fire before disappearing into the jungle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing how Plato's writing can be considered the backbone of this novel. Do you believe the writing of Plato is still relevant in today's society? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay making a personal judgment on the Vietnam War based on O'Brien's experience. Do you believe O'Brien feels the war was justified? Do you believe that O'Brien feels his own actions were justified? Do you believe O'Brien feels the actions of the others he knew during his time in the war were justified?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about why O'Brien went through most of Vietnam feeling alone and isolated when he was surrounded by people. Should he have felt alone? Do you think O'Brien isolated himself, events isolated him, or his peers isolated him? Why do you feel that way?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)