|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To which company is O'Brien first assigned?
2. Which of the following is a synonym for the term raucous as it is used to describe the bus ride to basic training?
3. What is the name of O'Brien's company?
4. Where do the members of Alpha Company go when faced with an incoming explosive ordinance?
5. What disability does the Vietnamese elderly man have?
Short Essay Questions
1. After he starts his interest in politics, what does O'Brien begin to do?
2. What does O'Brien do on his long nocturnal walks?
3. Describe the message O'Brien wishes to convey through chapter ten.
4. What do the members of Alpha Company do that is ignoring the orders from their officers?
5. When does O'Brien become a true soldier?
6. What does O'Brien rebel against during basic training?
7. What is available at the combat center for entertainment?
8. What causes fear and paranoia in the soldiers?
9. Why does the Chaplain disappoint O'Brien?
10. Why does the smoke from Tri Binh 4 trouble O'Brien?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay comparing Captain Smith and Major Callicles. In what ways are they similar? In what ways are they different? Which character do you believe you are most like? Why? Use specific examples from the text to support your writing.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about Captain Johansan as the leader of Alpha Company as if he had remained throughout all of O'Brien's tour in Vietnam. Do you think some of the actions that the members of Alpha Company did after he had left would still have happened if Captain Johansan had stayed? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing how you are similar to O'Brien. Use many complete details and include a personal response as to why you feel that way.
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)