|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the forest symbolize to O'Brien?
2. Which of the following does O'Brien begin reading?
3. Which of the following is not a synonym for spry?
4. Who gives the soldiers of Alpha Company back rubs?
5. In which state was O'Brien raised?
Short Essay Questions
1. What similarity to the soldiers' situation does the Captain draw for the scout?
2. What does O'Brien have to do at the processing center to be discharged from the army?
3. After he starts his interest in politics, what does O'Brien begin to do?
4. What event does O'Brien tell Erik he witnessed recently in the letter he sends him?
5. Why does Major Callicles try to humiliate O'Brien?
6. What accident occurs which kills or injures dozens of refugees?
7. Why do the Vietnamese people go everywhere the men of Alpha Company go?
8. What do the soldiers learn how to do at the combat center?
9. What does O'Brien rebel against during basic training?
10. O'Brien seems to like to enjoy what type of reading?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing how Plato's writing can be considered the backbone of this novel. Do you believe the writing of Plato is still relevant in today's society? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about why O'Brien went through most of Vietnam feeling alone and isolated when he was surrounded by people. Should he have felt alone? Do you think O'Brien isolated himself, events isolated him, or his peers isolated him? Why do you feel that way?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing Captain Smith and Major Callicles. In what ways are they similar? In what ways are they different? Which character do you believe you are most like? Why? Use specific examples from the text to support your writing.
This section contains 1,273 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)