Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was not an accurate description, according to O'Brien, of the men who make up Alpha company?
2. Which of the following does Erik read intently?
3. Which of the following is the best definition of the term lethargy?
4. Which of the following is the best definition of the term shorn as used in the following sentence? Everyone is sober, shaven and shorn after raising their hands and reciting an oath.
5. Which of the following describes the nickname for the time period in which O'Brien was born?
Short Essay Questions
1. The Starlight scope is what kind of technology?
2. What does O'Brien admit to the reader at the end of chapter three?
3. Why does the Chaplain disappoint O'Brien?
4. What causes fear and paranoia in the soldiers?
5. Describe the message O'Brien wishes to convey through chapter ten.
6. What are the soldiers constantly fighting to find?
7. Why didn't O'Brien sign up for two years?
8. Why doesn't Bates or O'Brien do anything about the old men being tied to the trees?
9. When does O'Brien become a true soldier?
10. Why are the soldiers so angry?
Write an essay on how the Vietnamese people must have felt about Americans during the war, especially those that were on the same side as the Americans. What lead the Vietnamese people to feel this way? Do you believe their feelings were justified? How would you feel in the same situation?
Write a biography of O'Brien's time in Vietnam. Why was O'Brien opposed to the Vietnam war? How did his feelings change? In what ways did they remain the same?
Describe why Captain Johansen can be considered a hero. What is your definition of a hero? Does O'Brien meet your personal definition of a hero at any time throughout this novel? Do you believe your definition is universal or unique?Uses examples from the story to support your ideas.
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)