Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was not an accurate description, according to O'Brien, of the men who make up Alpha company?
2. Which of the following does Erik read intently?
3. Which of the following is the best definition of the term lethargy?
4. Which of the following is the best definition of the term shorn as used in the following sentence? Everyone is sober, shaven and shorn after raising their hands and reciting an oath.
5. Which of the following describes the nickname for the time period in which O'Brien was born?
Short Essay Questions
1. The Starlight scope is what kind of technology?
2. What does O'Brien admit to the reader at the end of chapter three?
3. Why does the Chaplain disappoint O'Brien?
4. What causes fear and paranoia in the soldiers?
5. Describe the message O'Brien wishes to convey through chapter ten.
6. What are the soldiers constantly fighting to find?
7. Why didn't O'Brien sign up for two years?
8. Why doesn't Bates or O'Brien do anything about the old men being tied to the trees?
9. When does O'Brien become a true soldier?
10. Why are the soldiers so angry?
Choose two characters from the novel and write a comparative essay about these two characters using information from the novel as the basis for your comparison. At the end of your comparison, choose one of the characters which you feel you are most like and why you believe that is the case.
Write an essay describing what you believe is the most courageous act within the novel. Why do you consider this the most courageous act? What was the most cowardly act of the novel? Why do you consider this the most cowardly act?
Write about the character Mad Mark. Include an explanation for his behavior with the Vietnamese he came across throughout this time in Alpha Company. Do you believe his actions throughout the novel were justified or unjustified? Why or why not?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)