Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was not an accurate description, according to O'Brien, of the men who make up Alpha company?
2. Which of the following does Erik read intently?
3. Which of the following is the best definition of the term lethargy?
4. Which of the following is the best definition of the term shorn as used in the following sentence? Everyone is sober, shaven and shorn after raising their hands and reciting an oath.
5. Which of the following describes the nickname for the time period in which O'Brien was born?
Short Essay Questions
1. The Starlight scope is what kind of technology?
2. What does O'Brien admit to the reader at the end of chapter three?
3. Why does the Chaplain disappoint O'Brien?
4. What causes fear and paranoia in the soldiers?
5. Describe the message O'Brien wishes to convey through chapter ten.
6. What are the soldiers constantly fighting to find?
7. Why didn't O'Brien sign up for two years?
8. Why doesn't Bates or O'Brien do anything about the old men being tied to the trees?
9. When does O'Brien become a true soldier?
10. Why are the soldiers so angry?
Describe the changes O'Brien went through throughout all of his time in Vietnam. In what ways did he become a better person? In what ways was he too hard on himself? Use specific examples from the novel to support your answer.
Write about the character Mad Mark. Include an explanation for his behavior with the Vietnamese he came across throughout this time in Alpha Company. Do you believe his actions throughout the novel were justified or unjustified? Why or why not?
Write an essay on how the Vietnamese people must have felt about Americans during the war, especially those that were on the same side as the Americans. What lead the Vietnamese people to feel this way? Do you believe their feelings were justified? How would you feel in the same situation?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)