|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the lake which O'Brien likes to ride around?
2. With whom must any soldier who wishes to meet with the battalion commander meet with prior to being allowed to meet with the battalion commander?
3. To which company is O'Brien first assigned?
4. What is different about chapter ten than the others?
5. Where do the members of Alpha Company go when faced with an incoming explosive ordinance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the members of Alpha Company do that is ignoring the orders from their officers?
2. After he starts his interest in politics, what does O'Brien begin to do?
3. What do the soldiers learn how to do at the combat center?
4. What causes fear and paranoia in the soldiers?
5. What do the soldiers do that provokes a few Viet Cong hiding in the jungle to open fire before disappearing into the jungle?
6. What philosophical conversation does O'Brien attempt to hold with the captain?
7. What do the soldiers often do on the long routine marches that sometimes alerts the enemy to their location?
8. How does O'Brien spend his last summer before starting basic training?
9. What does O'Brien rebel against during basic training?
10. In what way do Erik and O'Brien catch the attention of the drill sergeant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about Captain Johansan as the leader of Alpha Company as if he had remained throughout all of O'Brien's tour in Vietnam. Do you think some of the actions that the members of Alpha Company did after he had left would still have happened if Captain Johansan had stayed? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe why Captain Johansen can be considered a hero. What is your definition of a hero? Does O'Brien meet your personal definition of a hero at any time throughout this novel? Do you believe your definition is universal or unique?Uses examples from the story to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the changes O'Brien went through throughout all of his time in Vietnam. In what ways did he become a better person? In what ways was he too hard on himself? Use specific examples from the novel to support your answer.
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)