|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disability does the Vietnamese elderly man have?
2. Which of the following is the best definition for bellicose?
3. In which of the following wars did O'Brien's parents serve?
4. Which of the following is the best descriptor for the transition which O'Brien faces with daily life in Vietnam from his previous life?
5. When is O'Brien due to report for basic training?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does O'Brien do on his long nocturnal walks?
2. What is available at the combat center for entertainment?
3. Describe the backdrop for O'Brien's upbringing.
4. What is sometimes the cause of the explosive ordinance attacks?
5. Describe O'Brien's childhood and adolescence.
6. What do the soldiers do that provokes a few Viet Cong hiding in the jungle to open fire before disappearing into the jungle?
7. How does O'Brien obtain his passport and shot records?
8. Why didn't O'Brien sign up for two years?
9. What overwhelms O'Brien's opposition to the war?
10. What provides O'Brien with his only intellectual connection?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining why O'Brien continued his friendship with Erik throughout his tour. Then add a portion explaining why or why not you believe this friendship would continue. Do you think O'Brien would want to be your friend? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write a biography of O'Brien's time in Vietnam. Why was O'Brien opposed to the Vietnam war? How did his feelings change? In what ways did they remain the same?
Essay Topic 3
Choose two characters from the novel and write a comparative essay about these two characters using information from the novel as the basis for your comparison. At the end of your comparison, choose one of the characters which you feel you are most like and why you believe that is the case.
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)