|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name do the soldiers give to the Starlight scope?
2. To which company is O'Brien first assigned?
3. What game do O'Brien and Captain Johansen play?
4. What does the battalion commander believe is O'Brien's problem?
5. Which of the following does O'Brien use to describe the way Alpha company came out of the jungle?
Short Essay Questions
1. After he starts his interest in politics, what does O'Brien begin to do?
2. Why does the smoke from Tri Binh 4 trouble O'Brien?
3. In what way do Erik and O'Brien catch the attention of the drill sergeant?
4. Why do the Vietnamese people go everywhere the men of Alpha Company go?
5. How many scenes does the author use in chapter ten?
6. How does O'Brien obtain his passport and shot records?
7. What do the members of Alpha Company do that is ignoring the orders from their officers?
8. What do the soldiers often do on the long routine marches that sometimes alerts the enemy to their location?
9. How does O'Brien spend his last summer before starting basic training?
10. The Starlight scope is what kind of technology?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing which event in the story struck you as being the most horrible and why. How does this event compare to any event in your own life which you had previously considered horrible? Describe how levels of horror may change throughout one's life.
Essay Topic 2
Choose two characters from the novel and write a comparative essay about these two characters using information from the novel as the basis for your comparison. At the end of your comparison, choose one of the characters which you feel you are most like and why you believe that is the case.
Essay Topic 3
Write a letter to a congressman penned by O'Brien after he returned to America from his tour in Vietnam. Be sure to include his strong feelings, beliefs and reasons behind these beliefs and feelings.
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)