|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What task does the squad leader make the squad do?
2. What does O'Brien experience for the first time in chapter nine?
3. Which of the following is true about O'Brien's parents?
4. Which of the following is a synonym for "Charlie"?
5. What does humping mean in military lingo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the soldiers often do on the long routine marches that sometimes alerts the enemy to their location?
2. What are the soldiers constantly fighting to find?
3. What is sometimes the cause of the explosive ordinance attacks?
4. What do the soldiers do that provokes a few Viet Cong hiding in the jungle to open fire before disappearing into the jungle?
5. What is available at the combat center for entertainment?
6. What overwhelms O'Brien's opposition to the war?
7. What philosophical conversation does O'Brien attempt to hold with the captain?
8. What does O'Brien rebel against during basic training?
9. What are the first few days like for O'Brien?
10. What does O'Brien do on his long nocturnal walks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the changes O'Brien went through throughout all of his time in Vietnam. In what ways did he become a better person? In what ways was he too hard on himself? Use specific examples from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing how you are similar to O'Brien. Use many complete details and include a personal response as to why you feel that way.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing Captain Smith and Major Callicles. In what ways are they similar? In what ways are they different? Which character do you believe you are most like? Why? Use specific examples from the text to support your writing.
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)