|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does O'Brien want to write like when he leaves Vietnam?
2. Which of the following is the best definition for bellicose?
3. What seems to happen to the jungle as the soldiers stare at it into the darkness?
4. What does O'Brien hide behind?
5. Who leads the march in chapter nine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the members of Alpha Company do that is ignoring the orders from their officers?
2. What is available at the combat center for entertainment?
3. When does O'Brien become a true soldier?
4. What are the first few days like for O'Brien?
5. What does O'Brien rebel against during basic training?
6. What do the soldiers often do on the long routine marches that sometimes alerts the enemy to their location?
7. Describe the backdrop for O'Brien's upbringing.
8. What do the soldiers learn how to do at the combat center?
9. Describe how the soldiers feel during the fire fight.
10. In what way do Erik and O'Brien catch the attention of the drill sergeant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a letter to a congressman penned by O'Brien after he returned to America from his tour in Vietnam. Be sure to include his strong feelings, beliefs and reasons behind these beliefs and feelings.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay expressing your own personal feelings about O'Brien's experience in Vietnam in relation to his own feelings. How has your understanding of the Vietnam war changed? In what ways can you relate to how O'Brien felt during his time in the war?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about why O'Brien went through most of Vietnam feeling alone and isolated when he was surrounded by people. Should he have felt alone? Do you think O'Brien isolated himself, events isolated him, or his peers isolated him? Why do you feel that way?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)