|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is different about chapter ten than the others?
2. What type of training does O'Brien have to go through after he leaves basic training?
3. In what branch of the military does O'Brien serve?
4. Which of the following terms best describes how O'Brien feels during basic training?
5. Which best describes how the soldiers feel about minor shrapnel injuries?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is O'Brien's moral dilemma?
2. What is available at the combat center for entertainment?
3. How do the soldiers react to these self-induced injuries caused by soldiers tossing about their own grenades?
4. What similarity to the soldiers' situation does the Captain draw for the scout?
5. What does O'Brien do on his long nocturnal walks?
6. What do the soldiers do that provokes a few Viet Cong hiding in the jungle to open fire before disappearing into the jungle?
7. The Starlight scope is what kind of technology?
8. What do the soldiers learn how to do at the combat center?
9. What do the soldiers often do on the long routine marches that sometimes alerts the enemy to their location?
10. How would you classify Major Callicles mental state?
Essay Topic 1
Complete an analysis of why women and children would be used as soldiers by the Viet Cong. Why would women and children make good soldiers? If you were in charge of an army, would you use women and children? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing what you believe is the most courageous act within the novel. Why do you consider this the most courageous act? What was the most cowardly act of the novel? Why do you consider this the most cowardly act?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining why O'Brien continued his friendship with Erik throughout his tour. Then add a portion explaining why or why not you believe this friendship would continue. Do you think O'Brien would want to be your friend? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,349 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)