|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which of the following wars did O'Brien's parents serve?
2. Which best describes how the soldiers feel about minor shrapnel injuries?
3. Which of the following was not an accurate description, according to O'Brien, of the men who make up Alpha company?
4. What does the man offer to the soldiers?
5. Which person with whom O'Brien meets to share his opposition to the war curses regularly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is sometimes the cause of the explosive ordinance attacks?
2. What does O'Brien rebel against during basic training?
3. Why does the Chaplain disappoint O'Brien?
4. How do the soldiers react to these self-induced injuries caused by soldiers tossing about their own grenades?
5. Describe the backdrop for O'Brien's upbringing.
6. What does O'Brien admit to the reader at the end of chapter three?
7. After he starts his interest in politics, what does O'Brien begin to do?
8. How does O'Brien spend his last summer before starting basic training?
9. How does O'Brien obtain his passport and shot records?
10. Describe how the soldiers feel during the fire fight.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing how you are similar to O'Brien. Use many complete details and include a personal response as to why you feel that way.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the changes O'Brien went through throughout all of his time in Vietnam. In what ways did he become a better person? In what ways was he too hard on himself? Use specific examples from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay expressing your own personal feelings about O'Brien's experience in Vietnam in relation to his own feelings. How has your understanding of the Vietnam war changed? In what ways can you relate to how O'Brien felt during his time in the war?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)