|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the best definition of the term shorn as used in the following sentence? Everyone is sober, shaven and shorn after raising their hands and reciting an oath.
2. Which of the following terms best describes how O'Brien feels during basic training?
3. Where did O'Brien meet a Vietnamese student who was also a Viet Cong officer?
4. Which of the following is the name of O'Brien's only friend during basic training?
5. What is located in Chu Lai?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the members of Alpha Company do that is ignoring the orders from their officers?
2. How does O'Brien spend his last summer before starting basic training?
3. Describe the backdrop for O'Brien's upbringing.
4. Why does the Chaplain disappoint O'Brien?
5. Why do the Vietnamese people go everywhere the men of Alpha Company go?
6. What is sometimes the cause of the explosive ordinance attacks?
7. Describe the message O'Brien wishes to convey through chapter ten.
8. To whom does O'Brien write as he continues his plan to desert to Sweden?
9. What philosophical conversation does O'Brien attempt to hold with the captain?
10. What overwhelms O'Brien's opposition to the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Complete an analysis of why women and children would be used as soldiers by the Viet Cong. Why would women and children make good soldiers? If you were in charge of an army, would you use women and children? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about Captain Johansan as the leader of Alpha Company as if he had remained throughout all of O'Brien's tour in Vietnam. Do you think some of the actions that the members of Alpha Company did after he had left would still have happened if Captain Johansan had stayed? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing how you are similar to O'Brien. Use many complete details and include a personal response as to why you feel that way.
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)