|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the soldiers feel about the jungle?
2. Which term means to march with items such as a pack or some military supplies?
3. Which term best describes how O'Brien's basic training went?
4. What does O'Brien learn about his military future at the beginning of chapter six?
5. After the attack on which village does O'Brien lose a buddy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Alpha Company as O'Brien first meets them.
2. Why does the Chaplain disappoint O'Brien?
3. Describe how the soldiers feel during the fire fight.
4. Describe at least three activities O'Brien did during his last summer at home before the war.
5. How does O'Brien spend his last summer before starting basic training?
6. In what way do Erik and O'Brien catch the attention of the drill sergeant?
7. How does O'Brien obtain his passport and shot records?
8. What is available at the combat center for entertainment?
9. What do the members of Alpha Company do that is ignoring the orders from their officers?
10. What do the soldiers often do on the long routine marches that sometimes alerts the enemy to their location?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about Captain Johansan as the leader of Alpha Company as if he had remained throughout all of O'Brien's tour in Vietnam. Do you think some of the actions that the members of Alpha Company did after he had left would still have happened if Captain Johansan had stayed? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay comparing Captain Smith and Major Callicles. In what ways are they similar? In what ways are they different? Which character do you believe you are most like? Why? Use specific examples from the text to support your writing.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay expressing your own personal feelings about O'Brien's experience in Vietnam in relation to his own feelings. How has your understanding of the Vietnam war changed? In what ways can you relate to how O'Brien felt during his time in the war?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)