|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the best definition of insanity as used by O'Brien to describe some of his fellow soldiers in chapter four?
2. In what branch of the military does O'Brien serve?
3. Which of the following is the best definition of the term shorn as used in the following sentence? Everyone is sober, shaven and shorn after raising their hands and reciting an oath.
4. What does O'Brien develop an interest in during high school?
5. What is O'Brien's job with Alpha Company?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Vietnamese people go everywhere the men of Alpha Company go?
2. What do the soldiers often do on the long routine marches that sometimes alerts the enemy to their location?
3. What philosophical conversation does O'Brien attempt to hold with the captain?
4. Describe the backdrop for O'Brien's upbringing.
5. What does O'Brien rebel against during basic training?
6. How does O'Brien spend his last summer before starting basic training?
7. To whom does O'Brien write as he continues his plan to desert to Sweden?
8. How does O'Brien see himself during basic training?
9. Why didn't O'Brien sign up for two years?
10. What are the soldiers constantly fighting to find?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a biography of O'Brien's time in Vietnam. Why was O'Brien opposed to the Vietnam war? How did his feelings change? In what ways did they remain the same?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the changes O'Brien went through throughout all of his time in Vietnam. In what ways did he become a better person? In what ways was he too hard on himself? Use specific examples from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing Captain Smith and Major Callicles. In what ways are they similar? In what ways are they different? Which character do you believe you are most like? Why? Use specific examples from the text to support your writing.
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)