Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was not an accurate description, according to O'Brien, of the men who make up Alpha company?
2. Which of the following does Erik read intently?
3. Which of the following is the best definition of the term lethargy?
4. Which of the following is the best definition of the term shorn as used in the following sentence? Everyone is sober, shaven and shorn after raising their hands and reciting an oath.
5. Which of the following describes the nickname for the time period in which O'Brien was born?
Short Essay Questions
1. The Starlight scope is what kind of technology?
2. What does O'Brien admit to the reader at the end of chapter three?
3. Why does the Chaplain disappoint O'Brien?
4. What causes fear and paranoia in the soldiers?
5. Describe the message O'Brien wishes to convey through chapter ten.
6. What are the soldiers constantly fighting to find?
7. Why didn't O'Brien sign up for two years?
8. Why doesn't Bates or O'Brien do anything about the old men being tied to the trees?
9. When does O'Brien become a true soldier?
10. Why are the soldiers so angry?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about why O'Brien went through most of Vietnam feeling alone and isolated when he was surrounded by people. Should he have felt alone? Do you think O'Brien isolated himself, events isolated him, or his peers isolated him? Why do you feel that way?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about Captain Johansan as the leader of Alpha Company as if he had remained throughout all of O'Brien's tour in Vietnam. Do you think some of the actions that the members of Alpha Company did after he had left would still have happened if Captain Johansan had stayed? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the changes O'Brien went through throughout all of his time in Vietnam. In what ways did he become a better person? In what ways was he too hard on himself? Use specific examples from the novel to support your answer.
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)