|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which state was O'Brien raised?
2. When does O'Brien execute his plan to desert infantry training?
3. What task does the squad leader make the squad do?
4. In what way does O'Brien classify himself?
5. Which of the following best describes the weather during Chapter four?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the members of Alpha Company do that is ignoring the orders from their officers?
2. How do the soldiers react to these self-induced injuries caused by soldiers tossing about their own grenades?
3. O'Brien seems to like to enjoy what type of reading?
4. In what way do Erik and O'Brien catch the attention of the drill sergeant?
5. What happens to the old men after they are tied to the tree all night?
6. Describe O'Brien's childhood and adolescence.
7. How have things changed for Alpha Company?
8. What does O'Brien say ruins a man's psyche?
9. Describe the message O'Brien wishes to convey through chapter ten.
10. What similarity to the soldiers' situation does the Captain draw for the scout?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about Captain Johansan as the leader of Alpha Company as if he had remained throughout all of O'Brien's tour in Vietnam. Do you think some of the actions that the members of Alpha Company did after he had left would still have happened if Captain Johansan had stayed? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing in what way you believe O'Brien demonstrated courage. Do you believe he would characterize the same events as courageous? Why or why not? Use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Describe why Captain Johansen can be considered a hero. What is your definition of a hero? Does O'Brien meet your personal definition of a hero at any time throughout this novel? Do you believe your definition is universal or unique?Uses examples from the story to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,330 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)