|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is a new piece of equipment the soldiers break out in Chapter Four?
2. Which of the following was one of O'Brien's common summer activities?
3. What is different about chapter ten than the others?
4. In which state was O'Brien raised?
5. Which best describes how the soldiers feel about minor shrapnel injuries?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Chaplain disappoint O'Brien?
2. What are the first few days like for O'Brien?
3. How do the soldiers react to these self-induced injuries caused by soldiers tossing about their own grenades?
4. In what way do Erik and O'Brien catch the attention of the drill sergeant?
5. What do the soldiers learn how to do at the combat center?
6. What is sometimes the cause of the explosive ordinance attacks?
7. What does O'Brien rebel against during basic training?
8. Describe the backdrop for O'Brien's upbringing.
9. What overwhelms O'Brien's opposition to the war?
10. What do the members of Alpha Company do that is ignoring the orders from their officers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two characters from the novel and write a comparative essay about these two characters using information from the novel as the basis for your comparison. At the end of your comparison, choose one of the characters which you feel you are most like and why you believe that is the case.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining why O'Brien continued his friendship with Erik throughout his tour. Then add a portion explaining why or why not you believe this friendship would continue. Do you think O'Brien would want to be your friend? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the changes O'Brien went through throughout all of his time in Vietnam. In what ways did he become a better person? In what ways was he too hard on himself? Use specific examples from the novel to support your answer.
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)