|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is a new piece of equipment the soldiers break out in Chapter Four?
2. After the attack on which village does O'Brien lose a buddy?
3. What does it mean to get wasted to the members of Alpha Company?
4. Which of the following does O'Brien begin reading?
5. What is the name of O'Brien's company?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe at least three activities O'Brien did during his last summer at home before the war.
2. Describe Alpha Company as O'Brien first meets them.
3. What do the soldiers do that provokes a few Viet Cong hiding in the jungle to open fire before disappearing into the jungle?
4. What causes fear and paranoia in the soldiers?
5. What does O'Brien do on his long nocturnal walks?
6. How does O'Brien spend his last summer before starting basic training?
7. How does O'Brien obtain his passport and shot records?
8. Why does the Chaplain disappoint O'Brien?
9. What overwhelms O'Brien's opposition to the war?
10. What provides O'Brien with his only intellectual connection?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay expressing your own personal feelings about O'Brien's experience in Vietnam in relation to his own feelings. How has your understanding of the Vietnam war changed? In what ways can you relate to how O'Brien felt during his time in the war?
Essay Topic 2
Write a letter to a congressman penned by O'Brien after he returned to America from his tour in Vietnam. Be sure to include his strong feelings, beliefs and reasons behind these beliefs and feelings.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing what you believe is the most courageous act within the novel. Why do you consider this the most courageous act? What was the most cowardly act of the novel? Why do you consider this the most cowardly act?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)