|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who warned Alpha Company of an incoming explosive ordinance?
2. What does O'Brien think will happen to him in the rainforest in Vietnam?
3. Which of the following is the best definition for insurgent?
4. What does O'Brien learn about his military future at the beginning of chapter six?
5. Which term means to march with items such as a pack or some military supplies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the soldiers feel during the fire fight.
2. What is sometimes the cause of the explosive ordinance attacks?
3. What provides O'Brien with his only intellectual connection?
4. How do the soldiers react to these self-induced injuries caused by soldiers tossing about their own grenades?
5. How does O'Brien see himself during basic training?
6. What is available at the combat center for entertainment?
7. Why does the smoke from Tri Binh 4 trouble O'Brien?
8. How many scenes does the author use in chapter ten?
9. In what way do Erik and O'Brien catch the attention of the drill sergeant?
10. After he starts his interest in politics, what does O'Brien begin to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe why Captain Johansen can be considered a hero. What is your definition of a hero? Does O'Brien meet your personal definition of a hero at any time throughout this novel? Do you believe your definition is universal or unique?Uses examples from the story to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing how Plato's writing can be considered the backbone of this novel. Do you believe the writing of Plato is still relevant in today's society? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write a biography of O'Brien's time in Vietnam. Why was O'Brien opposed to the Vietnam war? How did his feelings change? In what ways did they remain the same?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)