|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name do the soldiers give to the Starlight scope?
2. Which of the following best describes how O'Brien feels about the war?
3. What is the name of O'Brien's company?
4. What does O'Brien experience for the first time in chapter nine?
5. Where does O'Brien say is the only place that Alpha Companies friendships are deep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does O'Brien do on his long nocturnal walks?
2. What are the soldiers constantly fighting to find?
3. What do the soldiers often do on the long routine marches that sometimes alerts the enemy to their location?
4. What do the members of Alpha Company do that is ignoring the orders from their officers?
5. What do the soldiers learn how to do at the combat center?
6. Why does the smoke from Tri Binh 4 trouble O'Brien?
7. Describe at least three activities O'Brien did during his last summer at home before the war.
8. What does O'Brien rebel against during basic training?
9. Describe the backdrop for O'Brien's upbringing.
10. What is available at the combat center for entertainment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on how the Vietnamese people must have felt about Americans during the war, especially those that were on the same side as the Americans. What lead the Vietnamese people to feel this way? Do you believe their feelings were justified? How would you feel in the same situation?
Essay Topic 2
Choose two characters from the novel and write a comparative essay about these two characters using information from the novel as the basis for your comparison. At the end of your comparison, choose one of the characters which you feel you are most like and why you believe that is the case.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about Captain Johansan as the leader of Alpha Company as if he had remained throughout all of O'Brien's tour in Vietnam. Do you think some of the actions that the members of Alpha Company did after he had left would still have happened if Captain Johansan had stayed? Why or why not?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)