Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was not an accurate description, according to O'Brien, of the men who make up Alpha company?
2. Which of the following does Erik read intently?
3. Which of the following is the best definition of the term lethargy?
4. Which of the following is the best definition of the term shorn as used in the following sentence? Everyone is sober, shaven and shorn after raising their hands and reciting an oath.
5. Which of the following describes the nickname for the time period in which O'Brien was born?
Short Essay Questions
1. The Starlight scope is what kind of technology?
2. What does O'Brien admit to the reader at the end of chapter three?
3. Why does the Chaplain disappoint O'Brien?
4. What causes fear and paranoia in the soldiers?
5. Describe the message O'Brien wishes to convey through chapter ten.
6. What are the soldiers constantly fighting to find?
7. Why didn't O'Brien sign up for two years?
8. Why doesn't Bates or O'Brien do anything about the old men being tied to the trees?
9. When does O'Brien become a true soldier?
10. Why are the soldiers so angry?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay sharing your point of view on the war in Vietnam after reading O'Brien's account. Did your point of view change from what it was before you read his account? Why do you think it did/did not change? Use examples from the text to support your writing.
Essay Topic 2
Complete an analysis of why women and children would be used as soldiers by the Viet Cong. Why would women and children make good soldiers? If you were in charge of an army, would you use women and children? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay making a personal judgment on the Vietnam War based on O'Brien's experience. Do you believe O'Brien feels the war was justified? Do you believe that O'Brien feels his own actions were justified? Do you believe O'Brien feels the actions of the others he knew during his time in the war were justified?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)