|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom must any soldier who wishes to meet with the battalion commander meet with prior to being allowed to meet with the battalion commander?
2. Which term means to march with items such as a pack or some military supplies?
3. In which of the following wars did O'Brien's parents serve?
4. What do the soldiers decide to do when they discover a tunnel in a village rather than sending a soldier down?
5. On which peninsula does chapter eleven occur?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does O'Brien do on his long nocturnal walks?
2. When does O'Brien become a true soldier?
3. Why do the Vietnamese people go everywhere the men of Alpha Company go?
4. What are the soldiers constantly fighting to find?
5. What provides O'Brien with his only intellectual connection?
6. The Starlight scope is what kind of technology?
7. Describe the message O'Brien wishes to convey through chapter ten.
8. Describe the backdrop for O'Brien's upbringing.
9. Why didn't O'Brien sign up for two years?
10. After he starts his interest in politics, what does O'Brien begin to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about why O'Brien went through most of Vietnam feeling alone and isolated when he was surrounded by people. Should he have felt alone? Do you think O'Brien isolated himself, events isolated him, or his peers isolated him? Why do you feel that way?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining why O'Brien continued his friendship with Erik throughout his tour. Then add a portion explaining why or why not you believe this friendship would continue. Do you think O'Brien would want to be your friend? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay sharing your point of view on the war in Vietnam after reading O'Brien's account. Did your point of view change from what it was before you read his account? Why do you think it did/did not change? Use examples from the text to support your writing.
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)