|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following phrases is why O'Brien decides that Johansen is a real leader?
(a) Wisdom of character is most important
(b) Laches makes him the perfect Platonic Republic soldier
(c) Courage without wisdom is not true courage
(d) Courage is more than being in charge
2. What do the soldiers do to the well in the village where they found the Viet Cong rifle?
(a) Poison it
(b) Dump sand in it
(c) Close it over with rocks
(d) Hide explosives in it
3. When does O'Brien say that bitterness sets in for soldiers?
(a) When they see their first combat death
(b) Once they have returned safely home
(c) Every time they face death
(d) After they have joined a unit
4. Why is Pinkville referred to by this name?
(a) Areas on military maps are shaded pink
(b) There is much blood here because so many have been killed
(c) A derogatory term for the people that live here
(d) The soil is pink in this region
5. What consumes Major Callicles?
(a) Sense of right and fairness
(d) My Lai scandal
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the best antonym to the term lewd?
2. What is O'Brien's dream war job?
3. What do the men of Alpha Company use to fight the constant fear?
4. Which of the following is the best definition for the term sycophantic?
5. How do the prisoners sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. When do the men of the village go fishing?
2. How does O'Brien feel about himself?
3. Why can't the soldiers easily recognize the enemy?
4. What surprised the soldiers about the way the female Viet Cong soldier died?
5. Why is the white first sergeant fragged?
6. What happens to the old men after they are tied to the tree all night?
7. What event does O'Brien tell Erik he witnessed recently in the letter he sends him?
8. Why doesn't Bates or O'Brien do anything about the old men being tied to the trees?
9. What similarity to the soldiers' situation does the Captain draw for the scout?
10. O'Brien seems to like to enjoy what type of reading?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)