|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following phrases is why O'Brien decides that Johansen is a real leader?
(a) Courage without wisdom is not true courage
(b) Courage is more than being in charge
(c) Wisdom of character is most important
(d) Laches makes him the perfect Platonic Republic soldier
2. Why does the Vietnamese scout want request leave?
(a) Help his family overcome an illness
(b) To take care of his children after his wife was killed
(c) Join the Viet Cong
(d) To earn money for his family
3. Which of the following words best describes life at LZ Gator?
(a) Changing constantly
4. What does the letters AWOL stand for?
(a) Absent While on Leave
(b) Absent Without Leave
(c) Away Without Leave
(d) Away While on Leave
5. Which of the following is the best definition for the term sycophantic?
(d) Back stabbing
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does O'Brien sleep?
2. What practice seems to afford the soldiers some protection from nighttime Viet Cong attacks?
3. Which area of Vietnam is one of the most heavily mined areas?
4. Which of the following ways is not one of the ways O'Brien and Bates get through the holidays?
5. What do the men of Alpha Company use to fight the constant fear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alpha Company do for protection at night?
2. What does chapter twelve illustrate about the character of the soldiers in Vietnam?
3. How have things changed for Alpha Company?
4. Why doesn't Bates or O'Brien do anything about the old men being tied to the trees?
5. How does O'Brien feel about himself?
6. What happens to the old men after they are tied to the tree all night?
7. Why can't the soldiers easily recognize the enemy?
8. O'Brien seems to like to enjoy what type of reading?
9. Why are the soldiers bitter?
10. What event does O'Brien tell Erik he witnessed recently in the letter he sends him?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)