|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is the best synonym for the term mocks as used in the following sentence?
The Captain mocks his fear.
2. Why does the Vietnamese scout want request leave?
(a) Join the Viet Cong
(b) Help his family overcome an illness
(c) To take care of his children after his wife was killed
(d) To earn money for his family
3. What does Captain Johansen tell O'Brien he would rather be than anything else?
4. What does Major Callicles feel is infecting the US military?
5. Which emotion term best describes how the scout feels after leaving the Captain and being refused leave?
(a) Scoffed at
Short Answer Questions
1. What stands in the center of the refugee camp?
2. Which of the following characters believes it is wrong to tie the old men to trees?
3. Which of the following phrases is why O'Brien decides that Johansen is a real leader?
4. How much are the refugees paid for each death?
5. Which of the following is the best synonym for treacherous as used in the following sentence? The coral reefs and sandy beaches are a treacherous paradise.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does chapter twelve illustrate about the character of the soldiers in Vietnam?
2. Why are the soldiers so angry?
3. What event does O'Brien tell Erik he witnessed recently in the letter he sends him?
4. Why are the soldiers bitter?
5. What accident occurs which kills or injures dozens of refugees?
6. What does Alpha Company do for protection at night?
7. What is the major difference between Captain Johansen and Mad Mark as O'Brien sees it?
8. How would you classify Major Callicles mental state?
9. What does O'Brien say ruins a man's psyche?
10. When do the men of the village go fishing?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)