|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following ways is not one of the ways O'Brien and Bates get through the holidays?
(a) Taking a 3-day leave
(d) Attending a strip tease
2. Courage without wisdom is what, according to O'Brien's interpretation of Plato?
(a) A sign of weakness
(c) Not true courage
(d) Showing an inability to follow through
3. What practice seems to afford the soldiers some protection from nighttime Viet Cong attacks?
(a) Taking prisoners
(b) Destroying property
(c) Hiding in wells
(d) Stealing Viet Cong rifles
4. What does the letters AWOL stand for?
(a) Absent While on Leave
(b) Away While on Leave
(c) Absent Without Leave
(d) Away Without Leave
5. Which of the following is the best synonym for the term mocks as used in the following sentence?
The Captain mocks his fear.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Alpha Company assigned to protect on the beaches of a lagoon?
2. O'Brien believes that Johansen is the perfect guard for what?
3. What consumes Major Callicles?
4. Which of the following is the best definition for the term paralyzing as used in the following sentence? They fight paralyzing fear with each step they take.
5. Which of the following is the best definition of a scout?
Short Essay Questions
1. When do the men of the village go fishing?
2. What surprised the soldiers about the way the female Viet Cong soldier died?
3. Why can't the soldiers easily recognize the enemy?
4. Why are the soldiers so angry?
5. Why doesn't Bates or O'Brien do anything about the old men being tied to the trees?
6. O'Brien seems to like to enjoy what type of reading?
7. Why is the white first sergeant fragged?
8. Why are the soldiers bitter?
9. How does the Vietnamese scout feel about the soldiers for which he is scouting?
10. How does O'Brien feel about his new job?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)