|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What famous mountain was in the state and near where O'Brien completed his basic training?
(a) Mount Rainier
(b) St. Thomas
(c) Mount Shasta
(d) Pike's Peak
2. What does O'Brien struggle with throughout the summer?
(a) Underage drinking
(b) Moral dilemma
(c) State versus individual rights
(d) Love of God
3. What does O'Brien think will happen to him in the rainforest in Vietnam?
(b) Bullied by his commanders
(c) Lose his morals
(d) Forced to complete activities he disagrees with
4. In what year does chapter three take place?
5. Which of the following presidents is not referred to in this chapter?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of O'Brien's company?
2. Where do the members of Alpha Company go when faced with an incoming explosive ordinance?
3. What does O'Brien experience for the first time in chapter nine?
4. Where did O'Brien meet a Vietnamese student who was also a Viet Cong officer?
5. What game do O'Brien and Captain Johansen play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the smoke from Tri Binh 4 trouble O'Brien?
2. What do the soldiers often do on the long routine marches that sometimes alerts the enemy to their location?
3. How do the soldiers react to these self-induced injuries caused by soldiers tossing about their own grenades?
4. What do the soldiers do that provokes a few Viet Cong hiding in the jungle to open fire before disappearing into the jungle?
5. What causes fear and paranoia in the soldiers?
6. What does O'Brien rebel against during basic training?
7. How does O'Brien see himself during basic training?
8. Describe O'Brien's childhood and adolescence.
9. Describe at least three activities O'Brien did during his last summer at home before the war.
10. After he starts his interest in politics, what does O'Brien begin to do?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)