|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which person with whom O'Brien meets to share his opposition to the war curses regularly?
(b) Drill sergeant
(d) Battalion commander
2. What is different about chapter ten than the others?
(a) It is the longest
(b) It shows the most compassion
(c) It is only one scene
(d) It was not written by O'Brien
3. In which state was O'Brien raised?
4. Which of the following does O'Brien use to describe the way Alpha company came out of the jungle?
(a) As if they were being chased
(b) Carefully and quietly
(c) So silently that he missed their exit
(d) Like mad men
5. What task does the squad leader make the squad do?
(a) Clean the urinals with their toothbrushes
(b) Follow around drill sergeant Blyton around
(c) Practice shooting
(d) Buff and wax the floor
Short Answer Questions
1. Which best describes how the soldiers feel about minor shrapnel injuries?
2. What does the term ingratiate mean?
3. In what year does O'Brien go for basic training?
4. What does it mean to the members of Alpha Company to be getting short?
5. Which of the following is the best synonym for disdain as it is used in the following sentence? He looks with disdain on those that flourish in basic training.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the soldiers constantly fighting to find?
2. What do the soldiers do that provokes a few Viet Cong hiding in the jungle to open fire before disappearing into the jungle?
3. Why do the Vietnamese people go everywhere the men of Alpha Company go?
4. Describe Alpha Company as O'Brien first meets them.
5. When does O'Brien become a true soldier?
6. What overwhelms O'Brien's opposition to the war?
7. What does O'Brien admit to the reader at the end of chapter three?
8. How many scenes does the author use in chapter ten?
9. After he starts his interest in politics, what does O'Brien begin to do?
10. How does O'Brien spend his last summer before starting basic training?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)