|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does it mean to the members of Alpha Company to be getting short?
(a) Loss of a limb
(b) 5-6 months left in Vietnam
(c) Out of ammunition
(d) Injured but not incapacitated
2. Which of the following is the best definition of the term lethargy?
3. In which state was O'Brien raised?
4. Which of the following is the best definition of the term shorn as used in the following sentence? Everyone is sober, shaven and shorn after raising their hands and reciting an oath.
(a) Deprived of something
(b) Closely guarded
(d) Short hair cut
5. Who warned Alpha Company of an incoming explosive ordinance?
(a) No one
(b) A Lieutenant
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did O'Brien meet a Vietnamese student who was also a Viet Cong officer?
2. What name do the soldiers give to the Starlight scope?
3. What do the soldiers decide to do when they discover a tunnel in a village rather than sending a soldier down?
4. Which term means to march with items such as a pack or some military supplies?
5. Which of the following is true about O'Brien's parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the old men after they are tied to the tree all night?
2. Why doesn't Bates or O'Brien do anything about the old men being tied to the trees?
3. What accident occurs which kills or injures dozens of refugees?
4. Why are the soldiers bitter?
5. Why do the Vietnamese people go everywhere the men of Alpha Company go?
6. Why does the Chaplain disappoint O'Brien?
7. What philosophical conversation does O'Brien attempt to hold with the captain?
8. What does chapter twelve illustrate about the character of the soldiers in Vietnam?
9. To whom does O'Brien write as he continues his plan to desert to Sweden?
10. Why are the soldiers so angry?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)