|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does O'Brien's plane land in Vietnam?
(a) Ho Chi Min
(b) Chu Lai
(c) LZ Gator
(d) Cam Ranh Bay
2. How do the men of Alpha Company react to the nighttime attack?
(a) Hide in foxholes
(b) Take cover
(c) Organize themselves to counter attack
3. Which of the following is the best synonym for disdain as it is used in the following sentence?
He looks with disdain on those that flourish in basic training.
(d) Turns nose up at
4. Which of the following is the best definition of the term shorn as used in the following sentence? Everyone is sober, shaven and shorn after raising their hands and reciting an oath.
(a) Closely guarded
(b) Short hair cut
(c) Deprived of something
5. Which of the following is the best descriptor for the transition which O'Brien faces with daily life in Vietnam from his previous life?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following terms best describes they type of explosive attack which occurred in Chapter four?
2. Where did O'Brien meet a Vietnamese student who was also a Viet Cong officer?
3. Which of the following characters often spends time telling jokes?
4. What is different about chapter ten than the others?
5. In which of the following wars did O'Brien's parents serve?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes fear and paranoia in the soldiers?
2. In what way do Erik and O'Brien catch the attention of the drill sergeant?
3. Describe Alpha Company as O'Brien first meets them.
4. When does O'Brien become a true soldier?
5. What does O'Brien admit to the reader at the end of chapter three?
6. What are the soldiers constantly fighting to find?
7. What do the members of Alpha Company do that is ignoring the orders from their officers?
8. The Starlight scope is what kind of technology?
9. What is O'Brien's moral dilemma?
10. What philosophical conversation does O'Brien attempt to hold with the captain?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)