|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What task does the squad leader make the squad do?
(a) Follow around drill sergeant Blyton around
(b) Clean the urinals with their toothbrushes
(c) Practice shooting
(d) Buff and wax the floor
2. What is the most frightening mission for the soldiers?
(a) Coming face-to-face with an insurgent
(b) Searching empty villages
(c) Walking through the forest
(d) Clearing underground tunnels
3. Where does O'Brien say is the only place that Alpha Companies friendships are deep?
(a) While on R&R
(b) When someone is killed
(d) While marching
4. Which of the following is different about the timing of chapter two as compared to chapter one?
(a) It is after he is discharged from the military
(b) It is in the future
(c) It stays in the present
(d) It is in the past
5. Which of the following terms does Blyton call Erik when he voices his opposition to the war?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the soldiers decide to do when they discover a tunnel in a village rather than sending a soldier down?
2. Which of the following terms best describes how O'Brien feels during basic training?
3. Which of the following is the best definition of insanity as used by O'Brien to describe some of his fellow soldiers in chapter four?
4. How do the men of Alpha Company react to the nighttime attack?
5. After the attack on which village does O'Brien lose a buddy?
Short Essay Questions
1. After he starts his interest in politics, what does O'Brien begin to do?
2. Why do the Vietnamese people go everywhere the men of Alpha Company go?
3. How does O'Brien see himself during basic training?
4. What are the first few days like for O'Brien?
5. Why does the Chaplain disappoint O'Brien?
6. When does O'Brien become a true soldier?
7. Describe Alpha Company as O'Brien first meets them.
8. What are the soldiers constantly fighting to find?
9. To whom does O'Brien write as he continues his plan to desert to Sweden?
10. What overwhelms O'Brien's opposition to the war?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)