|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is different about the timing of chapter two as compared to chapter one?
(a) It is after he is discharged from the military
(b) It is in the past
(c) It stays in the present
(d) It is in the future
2. Which of the following is the best definition for bellicose?
3. What does O'Brien learn about his military future at the beginning of chapter six?
(a) O'Brien learns he will not be sent to Vietnam
(b) O'Brien learns that he will be sent to the foxholes of Vietnam
(c) O'Brien learns he is an excellent shot
(d) O'Brien learns that he will be able to get out of the military
4. What does O'Brien struggle with throughout the summer?
(a) Moral dilemma
(b) State versus individual rights
(c) Underage drinking
(d) Love of God
5. Which of the following is the name of O'Brien's only friend during basic training?
Short Answer Questions
1. In which of the following states did O'Brien complete his basic training?
2. What seems to happen to the jungle as the soldiers stare at it into the darkness?
3. Who warned Alpha Company of an incoming explosive ordinance?
4. Which word best describes the length of the meeting O'Brien has with the battalion commander?
5. What game do O'Brien and Captain Johansen play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the soldiers learn how to do at the combat center?
2. What is sometimes the cause of the explosive ordinance attacks?
3. What do the soldiers do that provokes a few Viet Cong hiding in the jungle to open fire before disappearing into the jungle?
4. Why does the Chaplain disappoint O'Brien?
5. What provides O'Brien with his only intellectual connection?
6. Describe the message O'Brien wishes to convey through chapter ten.
7. Describe O'Brien's childhood and adolescence.
8. In what way do Erik and O'Brien catch the attention of the drill sergeant?
9. What are the soldiers constantly fighting to find?
10. Why didn't O'Brien sign up for two years?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)