|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters often spends time telling jokes?
2. Which of the following terms best describes they type of explosive attack which occurred in Chapter four?
(a) Enemy waged
(b) Weapon malfunction
(d) Misaimed weapon
3. How do the men of Alpha Company react to the nighttime attack?
(a) Take cover
(c) Hide in foxholes
(d) Organize themselves to counter attack
4. What does it mean to the members of Alpha Company to be getting short?
(a) Loss of a limb
(b) 5-6 months left in Vietnam
(c) Out of ammunition
(d) Injured but not incapacitated
5. Where do the members of Alpha Company go when faced with an incoming explosive ordinance?
(a) Into the forest
(c) Dive to the ground with no cover
(d) Scatter into abandoned homes
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does O'Brien's plane land in Vietnam?
2. What is the goal of the soldiers in relation to the insurgents?
3. Where did O'Brien meet a Vietnamese student who was also a Viet Cong officer?
4. On which peninsula does chapter eleven occur?
5. Which of the following is the literary term for when O'Brien keeps adding elements from events which happened prior to those he is describing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the soldiers do that provokes a few Viet Cong hiding in the jungle to open fire before disappearing into the jungle?
2. Describe at least three activities O'Brien did during his last summer at home before the war.
3. What are the soldiers constantly fighting to find?
4. When does O'Brien become a true soldier?
5. How does O'Brien see himself during basic training?
6. How does O'Brien obtain his passport and shot records?
7. Describe O'Brien's childhood and adolescence.
8. What do the soldiers often do on the long routine marches that sometimes alerts the enemy to their location?
9. To whom does O'Brien write as he continues his plan to desert to Sweden?
10. How many scenes does the author use in chapter ten?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)