|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is the best definition of a scout?
2. What consumes Major Callicles?
(a) Sense of right and fairness
(d) My Lai scandal
3. How many times is the base attacked while O'Brien works there?
4. When does O'Brien say that bitterness sets in for soldiers?
(a) Every time they face death
(b) After they have joined a unit
(c) When they see their first combat death
(d) Once they have returned safely home
5. Which of the following describes how the female Viet Cong soldier died?
(b) With female hysterics
(c) She survives
(d) In extreme pain
6. Courage without wisdom is what, according to O'Brien's interpretation of Plato?
(a) Not true courage
(b) A sign of weakness
(d) Showing an inability to follow through
7. What is Alpha Company looking for on their marches in chapter 17?
(a) A place to rest
(d) Viet Cong
8. Which of the following phrases is why O'Brien decides that Johansen is a real leader?
(a) Wisdom of character is most important
(b) Courage is more than being in charge
(c) Laches makes him the perfect Platonic Republic soldier
(d) Courage without wisdom is not true courage
9. In what do the Viet Cong hide the booby-trapped grenades?
(a) Tin cans
(d) Under thatched huts floors
10. What new job does O'Brien finally earn at the end of August?
(b) Radio man
(c) Munitions expert
11. Which of the following is the best synonym for the term mocks as used in the following sentence?
The Captain mocks his fear.
12. Why are the men of Alpha Company in disarray?
(a) Too many losses
(b) Poor planning
(c) Bad leadership
(d) Overwhelmed by too many enemy soldiers
13. Which of the following is the best synonym for treacherous as used in the following sentence?
The coral reefs and sandy beaches are a treacherous paradise.
14. What do some of the soldiers give to the dying female Viet Cong soldier?
15. Which of the following is O'Brien's boss at camp LZ Gator?
(a) Major Callicles
(b) Mad Mark
(c) Captain Johansen
(d) Captain Smith
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Pinkville referred to by this name?
2. What surrounds the perimeter of the refugee camp on the lagoon side?
3. For what event is Major Callicles asked to leave the base camp permanently?
4. Which type of mine scares the soldiers the most?
5. What is O'Brien's dream war job?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)