|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Courage without wisdom is what, according to O'Brien's interpretation of Plato?
(a) Showing an inability to follow through
(b) Not true courage
(c) A sign of weakness
2. What do some of the soldiers give to the dying female Viet Cong soldier?
3. Which of the following is the best definition for the term paralyzing as used in the following sentence?
They fight paralyzing fear with each step they take.
(a) Make somebody temporarily unable to move
(b) Inability to move and think
(c) Bring to a standstill
(d) Deprive somebody of voluntary movement
4. Which of the following is the best synonym for the term mocks as used in the following sentence?
The Captain mocks his fear.
5. Which of the following ways is not one of the ways O'Brien and Bates get through the holidays?
(b) Taking a 3-day leave
(d) Attending a strip tease
6. Who orders the village to be searched after they find a Viet Cong rifle?
(c) Mad Mark
(d) Captain Johansen
7. What is Alpha Company looking for on their marches in chapter 17?
(a) Viet Cong
(d) A place to rest
8. When does O'Brien say that bitterness sets in for soldiers?
(a) Once they have returned safely home
(b) After they have joined a unit
(c) When they see their first combat death
(d) Every time they face death
9. What do the men of Alpha Company use to fight the constant fear?
10. Which of the following characters replaces Captain Johansen?
11. How many times is the base attacked while O'Brien works there?
12. What new job does O'Brien finally earn at the end of August?
(a) Radio man
(d) Munitions expert
13. Which of the following terms does not accurately describe Captain Smith?
14. Which type of mine would detonate under vehicles?
(a) Booby-trapped mortar rounds
(b) M-14 anti-personnel mines
(c) Bouncing Betty
(d) Soviet TMB
15. In what do the Viet Cong hide the booby-trapped grenades?
(a) Under thatched huts floors
(b) Tin cans
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Vietnamese scout want request leave?
2. Which of the following describes how the female Viet Cong soldier died?
3. What does Major Callicles feel is infecting the US military?
4. Which area of Vietnam is one of the most heavily mined areas?
5. Which of the following events takes place about one hour after the new commander takes charge of Alpha Company?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)