|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times is the base attacked while O'Brien works there?
2. What surrounds the perimeter of the refugee camp on the lagoon side?
(a) Barbed water
(d) Artillery rounds
3. In what do the Viet Cong hide the booby-trapped grenades?
(c) Tin cans
(d) Under thatched huts floors
4. What is Alpha Company looking for on their marches in chapter 17?
(a) A place to rest
(b) Viet Cong
5. What does Major Callicles feel is infecting the US military?
6. What do the men of Alpha Company use to fight the constant fear?
7. Why are the men of Alpha Company in disarray?
(a) Poor planning
(b) Overwhelmed by too many enemy soldiers
(c) Too many losses
(d) Bad leadership
8. Which of the following phrases is why O'Brien decides that Johansen is a real leader?
(a) Laches makes him the perfect Platonic Republic soldier
(b) Wisdom of character is most important
(c) Courage without wisdom is not true courage
(d) Courage is more than being in charge
9. When does O'Brien say that bitterness sets in for soldiers?
(a) Once they have returned safely home
(b) When they see their first combat death
(c) Every time they face death
(d) After they have joined a unit
10. O'Brien believes that Johansen is the perfect guard for what?
(b) Him (O'Brien)
(c) Any army
(d) Platonic Republic
11. What practice seems to afford the soldiers some protection from nighttime Viet Cong attacks?
(a) Taking prisoners
(b) Stealing Viet Cong rifles
(c) Hiding in wells
(d) Destroying property
12. Which of the following terms means someone with very little combat experience?
13. For what event is Major Callicles asked to leave the base camp permanently?
(b) Burning down a brothel
(c) Harassing the soldiers
(d) Taking Drugs
14. Which of the following is O'Brien's boss at camp LZ Gator?
(a) Mad Mark
(b) Major Callicles
(c) Captain Smith
(d) Captain Johansen
15. How much are the refugees paid for each death?
Short Answer Questions
1. Courage without wisdom is what, according to O'Brien's interpretation of Plato?
2. Which of the following is not an accurate description of guerrilla warfare?
3. Which of the following events takes place about one hour after the new commander takes charge of Alpha Company?
4. Which of the following is not a synonym for the term lament?
5. Which of the following is the best definition for the term sycophantic?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)