|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which emotion term best describes how the scout feels after leaving the Captain and being refused leave?
(d) Scoffed at
2. Why does the Vietnamese scout want request leave?
(a) To earn money for his family
(b) Help his family overcome an illness
(c) To take care of his children after his wife was killed
(d) Join the Viet Cong
3. To what does O'Brien liken Johansen's leaving Alpha Company?
(a) Overthrow of a king
(b) Vietnam War
(c) President Kennedy's assassination
(d) Trojans losing Hector
4. In which part of her body had she been shot?
5. How do the soldiers take vengeance?
(a) Hiding in the jungle
(b) Raping any women
(c) Setting fire to villages
(d) Setting up their own mine fields
6. Where does O'Brien sleep?
(a) In an apartment with Bates
(b) In the barracks
(c) In his office
(d) In a tent on the base
7. How many times is the base attacked while O'Brien works there?
8. Which of the following is the best definition for the term paralyzing as used in the following sentence?
They fight paralyzing fear with each step they take.
(a) Make somebody temporarily unable to move
(b) Deprive somebody of voluntary movement
(c) Inability to move and think
(d) Bring to a standstill
9. What does Alpha company come across in chapter twelve?
(a) Injured Viet Cong female soldier
(b) Safe place to rest for the night
(c) Hidden mine field
(d) Previously unknown of beach
10. What new job does O'Brien finally earn at the end of August?
(c) Radio man
(d) Munitions expert
11. Which of the following phrases is why O'Brien decides that Johansen is a real leader?
(a) Courage is more than being in charge
(b) Courage without wisdom is not true courage
(c) Laches makes him the perfect Platonic Republic soldier
(d) Wisdom of character is most important
12. What do the men of Alpha Company use to fight the constant fear?
13. Why are the men of Alpha Company in disarray?
(a) Overwhelmed by too many enemy soldiers
(b) Bad leadership
(c) Too many losses
(d) Poor planning
14. O'Brien believes that Johansen is the perfect guard for what?
(a) Any army
(b) Him (O'Brien)
(d) Platonic Republic
15. Which of the following is the best synonym for treacherous as used in the following sentence?
The coral reefs and sandy beaches are a treacherous paradise.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not an accurate description of guerrilla warfare?
2. Which type of mine scares the soldiers the most?
3. Which of the following is the best definition for the term sycophantic?
4. Which of the following events takes place about one hour after the new commander takes charge of Alpha Company?
5. What is Alpha Company looking for on their marches in chapter 17?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)