Chapter 1, Days
• The novel is narrated by O'Brien, a college-educated foot soldier.
• Alpha company is the name of the company in which O'Brien is a member.
• They spend their day marching (a.k.a. humping) which becomes very boring and routine for the soldiers. Barney tries to keep it interesting by cracking jokes.
• Sometimes the soldiers send out unintentional signals to the enemy by lighting cigarettes or daydreaming instead of paying attention.
• The soldiers have to check tunnels, which is scary for them all. When they discover some tunnels in a village, they decide to throw down grenades instead of sending a soldier down.
• This leads to a fire fight with some Viet Cong who were hiding in the jungle. The soldiers fire bullets everywhere without direction.
• Eventually, they heat up their rations, clean up a little and prepare for the night.
Chapter 2, Pro Patria
• A flashback happens...
This section contains 2,517 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)