|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of weather was coming in on the rescue efforts?
2. What has been formed in South America that concerns the cab driver?
3. What lands near the house where Pitt used the radio?
4. What does Pitt do with Tidi?
5. What does Rondheim intend to do that Kelly doesn't know?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pitt feel about what happened to Sam Kelly and how does he feel towards Rondheim?
2. What lands near the Andursson's home?
3. Why does Rondheim recite the Rime of the Ancient Mariner? What is Pitt's reaction?
4. How does Pitt act when he first arrives at the party and how is he dressed?
5. Where is Sandecker at the beginning of Chapter 20; who is with him; and what does that person say?
6. What does Kippman reveal about Hermit Limited?
7. Why was the crash site chosen? What does Pitt find out as he talks to the others?
8. What does Pitt do in order to get help?
9. What plane does Pitt see in the hanger and what is interesting about it?
10. What happens right as Pitt is looking for a way to leave the trophy room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pitt has an immediate dislike for Rondheim and how he is treating Kirsti. Rondheim does not like Pitt either. Pitt decides to change his demeanor with Oskar; Pitt pretends, to the astonishment of Sandecker and Tidi, that he is a homosexual. Rondheim is disgusted and underestimates Pitt, which is part of Dirk's plan.
1. Do you think it is possible to dislike or like someone the moment one meets them? Why or why not?
2. Given the era in which this book was written, why do you think someone would underestimate a "homosexual?"
3. Discuss the various stereotypes and labels that occur in the above statement about homosexuals.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of one man making a difference is displayed here, as there is no one but Pitt who can save them all.
1. What do you think is meant by the theme expressed above?
2. Discuss and incident in depth you have seen or read about in which one person made a difference.
3. Although most people think of one person making a difference for the good of all, there have been many incidences in history in which one person made a negative impact. Discuss one of these people and how their character compared to Pitt's.
Essay Topic 3
This novel is an adventure/suspense novel. Discuss one of the following:
1. Why are these types of novels popular?
2. What can a reader learn from this type of novel especially about how to deal with difficult situations?
3. Discuss how this adventure/suspense novel, written in the 1970's differs from those written in the 21st. century.
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)