|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Kirsti take Pitt and Tidi?
2. Who do Sandecker and Pitt visit in the hospital?
3. Who is the pilot of the vehicle that picks up Pitt?
4. How does Pitt know which way to go?
5. What does Pitt learn that saddens him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Hunnewell chastises Pitt for telling the Lt. Cmdr a lie about the reason for tracking down the iceberg.
1. Why do you think Hunnewell chastises Pitt for lying to Koski? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss, with examples, what you can infer about Hunnewell's character from his chastisement of Pitt.
3. Do you think there are situations in life, especially in the military that require being secretive or dishonest? Why or why not? Use examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Pitt's superior physical strength and abilities are demonstrated as he saves Hunnewell's life on the iceberg.
1. Do you think Cussler's portrayal of Pitt is unrealistic for any human? Why or why not?
2. How do you think Pitt was able to develop his strength and abilities? Use examples from the book and/or real life to illustrate your answer.
3. Do you believe the incident with Pitt and Hunnewell, with Pitt saving Hunnewell is a demonstration of why most women would not do well in these types of military positions? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Pitt's character is revealed as that of an officer who is greatly respected and admired but operates outside the normal rules and regulations. He is a maverick who gets things done.
1. What have you read of Pitt in the first few chapters that explain him being admired and respected? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. What do you think the word maverick means in the context of the above statement? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Do you think someone in the military should be allowed to operate outside the normal rules and regulations? What types of situations can that type of behavior incur?
This section contains 2,243 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)