|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the man Pitt talked to at the airport?
2. How does Pitt feel towards many of the people on the plane?
3. Who does Lippman think James Kelly is going to assassinate?
4. What does Pitt do about his pain as he goes for help?
5. How did the worker cover himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rondheim ask Pitt and and do he and Tidi handle the question?
2. What plane does Pitt see in the hanger and what is interesting about it?
3. What does Pitt do in order to get help?
4. What does Pitt see when he first wakes up after the poetry party?
5. What does James Kelly explain to the group about Hermit Limited?
6. What does the person at the hanger tell Pitt?
7. What does Kippman reveal about Hermit Limited?
8. Where does Kirsti take Pitt at the party and what does Pitt do during the event?
9. What happens right as Pitt is looking for a way to leave the trophy room?
10. Where is Sandecker at the beginning of Chapter 20; who is with him; and what does that person say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pitt goes to the general transient aviation hanger, and locates the mechanic who scratched his initials into the hydraulic pump Pitt found. The mechanic tells Pitt about a couple men who contracted with him to do some work and would not sign off on the job. Cashman found a way to cover himself by making out a report and he was able to record the call numbers for the jet.
1. Amazing coincidence, isn't it? Narrative contrivance is the term used when barely plausible events occur in order to advance the plot. Explain why, with examples, this situation with the black jet could be a narrative contrivance.
2. The mechanic certainly sounds like he's on the ball. What do you think, in real life the chances are that most mechanics would do what Cashman did? Explain your answer.
3. Why do you think a mechanic would give Pitt the information he gave him? Explain your answer using text from the book to support it.
Essay Topic 2
The contrast of an ancient plane beating the plans of a madman's computers is enjoyed by Pitt immensely.
1. Explain in detail, using examples, why you think Pitt enjoyed the irony in the above situation.
2. Discuss what irony is and why the above situation is an example of it.
3. Is the most modern technology always the best choice for solving a problem? Discuss why or why not this is true and a situation which illustrates your position.
Essay Topic 3
Pitt's character is revealed as that of an officer who is greatly respected and admired but operates outside the normal rules and regulations. He is a maverick who gets things done.
1. What have you read of Pitt in the first few chapters that explain him being admired and respected? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. What do you think the word maverick means in the context of the above statement? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Do you think someone in the military should be allowed to operate outside the normal rules and regulations? What types of situations can that type of behavior incur?
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)