|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who scratched his initials into the black jet?
2. What has been formed in South America that concerns the cab driver?
3. How does Pitt see Rondheim's actions?
4. Where is the party Pitt attends held?
5. What is Pitt told at the airport about the black jet and who wanted work done?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the person at the hanger tell Pitt?
2. Where does Kirsti take Pitt at the party and what does Pitt do during the event?
3. What lands near the Andursson's home?
4. Who is Pitt pleased to see on the rescue vehicle and what happens after Pitt boards?
5. What does Rondheim ask Pitt and and do he and Tidi handle the question?
6. What does Kippman reveal about Hermit Limited?
7. What does Pitt realize as he is talking to Sandecker about rescue efforts?
8. What does Pitt do when James is talking? How does James respond?
9. Who is the pilot of the rescue vehicle and what did he bring with him?
10. Who is the man in Sandecker's office and what does he tell Pitt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jerome P. Lillie is introduced. His role as a National Security agent who is working with Pitt now allows Pitt to access information from another, wider-reaching source. Typical of Pitt, threats and physical action must occur before the two men can respect each other, but once Lillie earns Pitt's trust, Pitt tells him everything.
1. What do you think the fact that Pitt has to have threats and physical action before he can respect a man says about his character?
2. In your opinion, discuss whether you believe the author is trying too hard to make Pitt look really masculine and tough. Include in your discussion whether you believe Pitt would be just as likable a character if he was less macho.
3. Discuss whether you think the job in which Lillie works and Pitt must have highly masculine, tough people in order to do the job.
Essay Topic 2
This novel is an adventure/suspense novel. Discuss one of the following:
1. Why are these types of novels popular?
2. What can a reader learn from this type of novel especially about how to deal with difficult situations?
3. Discuss how this adventure/suspense novel, written in the 1970's differs from those written in the 21st. century.
Essay Topic 3
Pitt is a consummate ladies man with few boundaries or shame, but he holds his friendships dearer than his desire for the beautiful Tidi. Pitt's loyalty to Sandecker runs deep, and it is obvious the old man considers Pitt to be like a son to him.
1. What do you think is meant by the first sentence above? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss in depth what loyalty to an individual means in terms of various relationships such as superior officer, friend, sibling, etc.
3. How do you think the fact that Sandecker considers Pitt to be like a son to him has been demonstrated in this book? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)