|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pitt tell Sandecker when he arrives?
2. How many of the men in the room are in cahoots with Rondheim?
3. What corporation does James Kelly talk about?
4. Where does Pitt go at the airport?
5. What does Pitt realize on his way back from the airport?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rondheim ask Pitt and and do he and Tidi handle the question?
2. What lands near the Andursson's home?
3. Who is the pilot of the rescue vehicle and what did he bring with him?
4. How does Pitt feel about what happened to Sam Kelly and how does he feel towards Rondheim?
5. Where does Pitt go after their boating incident? Who takes him and how does Pitt feel about that person? Who does Pitt find?
6. Who is Pitt pleased to see on the rescue vehicle and what happens after Pitt boards?
7. Who is the man in Sandecker's office and what does he tell Pitt?
8. What does Sam Kelly ask his brother and what does his brother tell him?
9. Where is Sandecker at the beginning of Chapter 20; who is with him; and what does that person say?
10. What does Pitt realize as he is talking to Sandecker about rescue efforts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kelly speaks of goodness, of re-writing history, of compassion for the masses; yet his actions are tinged with violence. James Kelly has worthy goals and ideals, but he has surrounded himself with ruthless killers in order to accomplish these ideals.
1. James Kelly seems to believe the end justifies the means. Discuss what this concept means in relationship to what James Kelly says he is trying to do.
2. Discuss the concept that good which associates itself with evil cannot long survive in view of the above statement.
3. Throughout history there have been people who believe they know what is best for everyone and attempt to impose their will on the "masses." Following research, compare an incident in history of this type of situation to the one James Kelly is attempting.
Essay Topic 2
Pitt is a consummate ladies man with few boundaries or shame, but he holds his friendships dearer than his desire for the beautiful Tidi. Pitt's loyalty to Sandecker runs deep, and it is obvious the old man considers Pitt to be like a son to him.
1. What do you think is meant by the first sentence above? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss in depth what loyalty to an individual means in terms of various relationships such as superior officer, friend, sibling, etc.
3. How do you think the fact that Sandecker considers Pitt to be like a son to him has been demonstrated in this book? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Hunnewell chastises Pitt for telling the Lt. Cmdr a lie about the reason for tracking down the iceberg.
1. Why do you think Hunnewell chastises Pitt for lying to Koski? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss, with examples, what you can infer about Hunnewell's character from his chastisement of Pitt.
3. Do you think there are situations in life, especially in the military that require being secretive or dishonest? Why or why not? Use examples to support your answer.
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)