|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Pitt know which way to go?
2. What does Rondheim do to Pitt?
3. What does Pitt learn that saddens him?
4. What corporation does James Kelly talk about?
5. Where does Pitt go at the airport?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the pilot of the rescue vehicle and what did he bring with him?
2. Where is Sandecker at the beginning of Chapter 20; who is with him; and what does that person say?
3. What does Pitt do when James is talking? How does James respond?
4. How does Pitt act when he first arrives at the party and how is he dressed?
5. What does Sam Kelly ask his brother and what does his brother tell him?
6. Why does Rondheim recite the Rime of the Ancient Mariner? What is Pitt's reaction?
7. What does the person at the hanger tell Pitt?
8. What does James Kelly explain to the group about Hermit Limited?
9. What does Rondheim ask Pitt and and do he and Tidi handle the question?
10. What happened in the confrontation between Pitt and Lillie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jerome P. Lillie is introduced. His role as a National Security agent who is working with Pitt now allows Pitt to access information from another, wider-reaching source. Typical of Pitt, threats and physical action must occur before the two men can respect each other, but once Lillie earns Pitt's trust, Pitt tells him everything.
1. What do you think the fact that Pitt has to have threats and physical action before he can respect a man says about his character?
2. In your opinion, discuss whether you believe the author is trying too hard to make Pitt look really masculine and tough. Include in your discussion whether you believe Pitt would be just as likable a character if he was less macho.
3. Discuss whether you think the job in which Lillie works and Pitt must have highly masculine, tough people in order to do the job.
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Hunnewell chastises Pitt for telling the Lt. Cmdr a lie about the reason for tracking down the iceberg.
1. Why do you think Hunnewell chastises Pitt for lying to Koski? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss, with examples, what you can infer about Hunnewell's character from his chastisement of Pitt.
3. Do you think there are situations in life, especially in the military that require being secretive or dishonest? Why or why not? Use examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The danger increases as Pitt is rescued only to face more threats from an impostor policemen. Here the warm characters of the native Icelanders is shown in their passions for their townspeople and for strangers.
1. As the danger to Pitt increases the tension in the novel increases. Discuss how a subtle increase in danger and tension is used to prod readers to continue reading the book.
2. The Icelanders seem to be compassionate people. Discuss why compassion and a willingness to help others might be valuable in a climate like the one on Iceland.
3. In most major religions hospitality towards strangers is a basic tenet of the religion. Discuss why this would be true especially in view of the survival of the species.
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)