|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pitt hear when he wakes up?
2. What does Kippman tell Pitt and Sandecker?
3. What does Pitt realize as he talks to all the victims?
4. What does James say he will do with everyone in the room who is not part of the plan?
5. What does Pitt mention to Kelly that spoils his speech?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pitt act when he first arrives at the party and how is he dressed?
2. What lands near the Andursson's home?
3. Who is the man in Sandecker's office and what does he tell Pitt?
4. What does Rondheim ask Pitt and and do he and Tidi handle the question?
5. What does Pitt do in order to get help?
6. What does the person at the hanger tell Pitt?
7. What does Kippman reveal about Hermit Limited?
8. What happens right as Pitt is looking for a way to leave the trophy room?
9. Who is the pilot of the rescue vehicle and what did he bring with him?
10. What does Pitt do when James is talking? How does James respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pitt arrives at the party, which is held at Rondheim's huge mansion. Pitt is dressed in red velvet and continues his masquerade as a homosexual.
1. Do you think all homosexuals dress a certain way? What kind of thinking is this? Does Pitt dressing this way imply that if you see a man in cowboy boots and blue jeans he must be heterosexual? Why or why not?
2. Discuss what other kinds of other stereotypes and labels you see in this book.
3. Discuss, with examples why you believe people label others and group certain individuals together as if they were not separate from the group. Explain why the idea of lumping people into groups is dangerous to society as a whole.
Essay Topic 2
As they hash out the circumstances and evidence, it is clear there is a strong bond that runs deeper than Admiral and Major between the men. They trust each other's opinions, and respect the intelligence displayed there.
1. How do you think trust between two individuals is built? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss what parts of Pitt's and Sandecker's conversation demonstrate their intelligence and why the reader can see that they both respect the other's intelligence.
3. What do you think the normal bond between a superior officer and a subordinate would look like? How does that compare with the bond between Pitt and Sandecker?
Essay Topic 3
The danger increases as Pitt is rescued only to face more threats from an impostor policemen. Here the warm characters of the native Icelanders is shown in their passions for their townspeople and for strangers.
1. As the danger to Pitt increases the tension in the novel increases. Discuss how a subtle increase in danger and tension is used to prod readers to continue reading the book.
2. The Icelanders seem to be compassionate people. Discuss why compassion and a willingness to help others might be valuable in a climate like the one on Iceland.
3. In most major religions hospitality towards strangers is a basic tenet of the religion. Discuss why this would be true especially in view of the survival of the species.
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)