|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Pitt told at the airport about the black jet and who wanted work done?
2. Why was this site chosen for the people?
3. What does Pitt realize as he talks to all the victims?
4. What does Pitt hear when he wakes up?
5. Who does James Kelly say can run the sea probe besides Hunnewell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kippman reveal about Hermit Limited?
2. What lands near the Andursson's home?
3. What does Pitt do when James is talking? How does James respond?
4. What does Sam Kelly ask his brother and what does his brother tell him?
5. How does Pitt act when he first arrives at the party and how is he dressed?
6. Why does Rondheim recite the Rime of the Ancient Mariner? What is Pitt's reaction?
7. What is Sandecker's response to the man in his office and what does Pitt say?
8. What does the person at the hanger tell Pitt?
9. What happened in the confrontation between Pitt and Lillie?
10. Where does Pitt go after their boating incident? Who takes him and how does Pitt feel about that person? Who does Pitt find?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Hunnewell chastises Pitt for telling the Lt. Cmdr a lie about the reason for tracking down the iceberg.
1. Why do you think Hunnewell chastises Pitt for lying to Koski? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss, with examples, what you can infer about Hunnewell's character from his chastisement of Pitt.
3. Do you think there are situations in life, especially in the military that require being secretive or dishonest? Why or why not? Use examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
While in the hangar, Pitt recognizes an old airplane, in excellent shape, an old Ford Tri-Motor known affectionately as the Tin Goose.
1. It was interesting the author threw in this brief account of this plane. Why could this be an example of foreshadow?
2. Here in the hanger is a plane which, because it was important enough to be noted, is probably going to come into use later in the book. Argue whether this information is a foreshadow or a narrative contrivance.
Essay Topic 3
Pitt has an immediate dislike for Rondheim and how he is treating Kirsti. Rondheim does not like Pitt either. Pitt decides to change his demeanor with Oskar; Pitt pretends, to the astonishment of Sandecker and Tidi, that he is a homosexual. Rondheim is disgusted and underestimates Pitt, which is part of Dirk's plan.
1. Do you think it is possible to dislike or like someone the moment one meets them? Why or why not?
2. Given the era in which this book was written, why do you think someone would underestimate a "homosexual?"
3. Discuss the various stereotypes and labels that occur in the above statement about homosexuals.
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)