|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Pitt know which way to go?
2. Who is in Sandecker's office when Pitt arrives?
3. What does Pitt tell Sandecker when he arrives?
4. Who is the pilot of the vehicle that picks up Pitt?
5. Why is Kelly going to assassinate some people?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pitt act when he first arrives at the party and how is he dressed?
2. What lands near the Andursson's home?
3. Who is the pilot of the rescue vehicle and what did he bring with him?
4. What does Sam Kelly ask his brother and what does his brother tell him?
5. Why was the crash site chosen? What does Pitt find out as he talks to the others?
6. What does James Kelly explain to the group about Hermit Limited?
7. What does Pitt do when James is talking? How does James respond?
8. What plane does Pitt see in the hanger and what is interesting about it?
9. Who is Pitt pleased to see on the rescue vehicle and what happens after Pitt boards?
10. How does Pitt feel about what happened to Sam Kelly and how does he feel towards Rondheim?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Compare and contrast the characters Dirk Pitt and Oskar Rondheim.
2. Compare and contrast the characters Tidi and Kirsti.
3. Compare and contrast the characters James Kelly and Sam Kelly.
Essay Topic 2
This novel is an adventure/suspense novel. Discuss one of the following:
1. Why are these types of novels popular?
2. What can a reader learn from this type of novel especially about how to deal with difficult situations?
3. Discuss how this adventure/suspense novel, written in the 1970's differs from those written in the 21st. century.
Essay Topic 3
Pitt is a consummate ladies man with few boundaries or shame, but he holds his friendships dearer than his desire for the beautiful Tidi. Pitt's loyalty to Sandecker runs deep, and it is obvious the old man considers Pitt to be like a son to him.
1. What do you think is meant by the first sentence above? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss in depth what loyalty to an individual means in terms of various relationships such as superior officer, friend, sibling, etc.
3. How do you think the fact that Sandecker considers Pitt to be like a son to him has been demonstrated in this book? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)