|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When were the people injured?
2. Where does the captain take the vehicle with Pitt?
3. Where does Pitt go at the airport?
4. What is Pitt told at the airport about the black jet and who wanted work done?
5. What does Pitt hear when he wakes up?
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Hunnewell chastises Pitt for telling the Lt. Cmdr a lie about the reason for tracking down the iceberg.
1. Why do you think Hunnewell chastises Pitt for lying to Koski? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss, with examples, what you can infer about Hunnewell's character from his chastisement of Pitt.
3. Do you think there are situations in life, especially in the military that require being secretive or dishonest? Why or why not? Use examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Hunnewell's death greatly affects Pitt, who feels he has lost a friend due to his own failures.
1. What does Pitt's believing his failure caused Hunnewell's death seem to suggest about his character? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. The above sentence suggest that Pitt and Hunnewell were friends. Discuss their friendship using examples from the text to illustrate your answer.
3. The death of a friend would affect anyone. Discuss how you think that would affect a person and what a person can do to deal with the grief.
Essay Topic 3
Pitt's dedication to his job and his sense of survival never allows him to consider Kirsti as a potential lover. Pitt uses Oskar's confusion about Pitt's masculinity to maneuver a boat from Kirsti and Oskar so he can begin looking for the jet.
1. Discuss what could occur in a situation like Pitt's if he had not set aside his attraction to Kirsti and had pursued it.
2. The prevailing consensus in work places is to never have an affair with a co-worker or boss. How do you think this idea would support Pitt's turning away from Kirsti?
3. Why do you think Pitt pretending to be a homosexual could confuse a person to the point of conceding a favor to a stranger? Use examples to illustrate your answer.
This section contains 2,278 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)