|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Pitt and the crew of the vehicle do?
2. Who does Tidi recognize in the crowd?
3. What does Pitt do at the home of the Icelander who found him?
4. What does Rondheim ask Pitt when Pitt first arrives?
5. What does Pitt do when Rondheim is finished with his poem fragment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the person at the hanger tell Pitt?
2. What does Kippman reveal about Hermit Limited?
3. What does James Kelly explain to the group about Hermit Limited?
4. What does Pitt do when James is talking? How does James respond?
5. What does Sam Kelly ask his brother and what does his brother tell him?
6. What happens right as Pitt is looking for a way to leave the trophy room?
7. What does Pitt see when he first wakes up after the poetry party?
8. What lands near the Andursson's home?
9. Why does Rondheim recite the Rime of the Ancient Mariner? What is Pitt's reaction?
10. What does Rondheim ask Pitt and and do he and Tidi handle the question?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Danger increases as the Pitt realizes he can't even trust his own military with the truth and must continue spinning lies to keep them off balance.
1. Discuss what has occurred in the first four chapters of the book that would make Pitt believe he can't trust the U.S. military.
2. Do you think the military can be trusted in real life? Why or why not?
3. Pitt seems to be fighting lies with lies? Does this seem to be the best way to go about this? Use examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The contrast of an ancient plane beating the plans of a madman's computers is enjoyed by Pitt immensely.
1. Explain in detail, using examples, why you think Pitt enjoyed the irony in the above situation.
2. Discuss what irony is and why the above situation is an example of it.
3. Is the most modern technology always the best choice for solving a problem? Discuss why or why not this is true and a situation which illustrates your position.
Essay Topic 3
The danger increases as Pitt is rescued only to face more threats from an impostor policemen. Here the warm characters of the native Icelanders is shown in their passions for their townspeople and for strangers.
1. As the danger to Pitt increases the tension in the novel increases. Discuss how a subtle increase in danger and tension is used to prod readers to continue reading the book.
2. The Icelanders seem to be compassionate people. Discuss why compassion and a willingness to help others might be valuable in a climate like the one on Iceland.
3. In most major religions hospitality towards strangers is a basic tenet of the religion. Discuss why this would be true especially in view of the survival of the species.
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)