|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Two men ask Kirsti what?
2. What does Pitt realize James will use in his assassination efforts?
3. What does Pitt mention to Kelly that spoils his speech?
4. Why is Kelly going to assassinate some people?
5. What does Pitt do at the home of the Icelander who found him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sandecker's response to the man in his office and what does Pitt say?
2. What does Pitt realize as he is talking to Sandecker about rescue efforts?
3. How does Pitt feel about what happened to Sam Kelly and how does he feel towards Rondheim?
4. How does Pitt act when he first arrives at the party and how is he dressed?
5. What does Pitt do when James is talking? How does James respond?
6. Why does Rondheim recite the Rime of the Ancient Mariner? What is Pitt's reaction?
7. What does Pitt do in order to get help?
8. Why was the crash site chosen? What does Pitt find out as he talks to the others?
9. Where does Kirsti take Pitt at the party and what does Pitt do during the event?
10. What does Sam Kelly ask his brother and what does his brother tell him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The contrast of an ancient plane beating the plans of a madman's computers is enjoyed by Pitt immensely.
1. Explain in detail, using examples, why you think Pitt enjoyed the irony in the above situation.
2. Discuss what irony is and why the above situation is an example of it.
3. Is the most modern technology always the best choice for solving a problem? Discuss why or why not this is true and a situation which illustrates your position.
Essay Topic 2
As they hash out the circumstances and evidence, it is clear there is a strong bond that runs deeper than Admiral and Major between the men. They trust each other's opinions, and respect the intelligence displayed there.
1. How do you think trust between two individuals is built? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss what parts of Pitt's and Sandecker's conversation demonstrate their intelligence and why the reader can see that they both respect the other's intelligence.
3. What do you think the normal bond between a superior officer and a subordinate would look like? How does that compare with the bond between Pitt and Sandecker?
Essay Topic 3
The danger increases as Pitt is rescued only to face more threats from an impostor policemen. Here the warm characters of the native Icelanders is shown in their passions for their townspeople and for strangers.
1. As the danger to Pitt increases the tension in the novel increases. Discuss how a subtle increase in danger and tension is used to prod readers to continue reading the book.
2. The Icelanders seem to be compassionate people. Discuss why compassion and a willingness to help others might be valuable in a climate like the one on Iceland.
3. In most major religions hospitality towards strangers is a basic tenet of the religion. Discuss why this would be true especially in view of the survival of the species.
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)