|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of aircraft does Pitt see at the airport?
2. How did the worker cover himself?
3. Why is Kelly going to assassinate some people?
4. How does Pitt feel towards Rondheim as he watches the rescue efforts?
5. When were the people injured?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pitt realize as he is talking to Sandecker about rescue efforts?
2. What does Rondheim ask Pitt and and do he and Tidi handle the question?
3. Who is Pitt pleased to see on the rescue vehicle and what happens after Pitt boards?
4. What happened in the confrontation between Pitt and Lillie?
5. What plane does Pitt see in the hanger and what is interesting about it?
6. Where is Sandecker at the beginning of Chapter 20; who is with him; and what does that person say?
7. What does Sam Kelly ask his brother and what does his brother tell him?
8. What does Kippman reveal about Hermit Limited?
9. What is Sandecker's response to the man in his office and what does Pitt say?
10. What does the person at the hanger tell Pitt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pitt arrives at the party, which is held at Rondheim's huge mansion. Pitt is dressed in red velvet and continues his masquerade as a homosexual.
1. Do you think all homosexuals dress a certain way? What kind of thinking is this? Does Pitt dressing this way imply that if you see a man in cowboy boots and blue jeans he must be heterosexual? Why or why not?
2. Discuss what other kinds of other stereotypes and labels you see in this book.
3. Discuss, with examples why you believe people label others and group certain individuals together as if they were not separate from the group. Explain why the idea of lumping people into groups is dangerous to society as a whole.
Essay Topic 2
The danger increases as Pitt is rescued only to face more threats from an impostor policemen. Here the warm characters of the native Icelanders is shown in their passions for their townspeople and for strangers.
1. As the danger to Pitt increases the tension in the novel increases. Discuss how a subtle increase in danger and tension is used to prod readers to continue reading the book.
2. The Icelanders seem to be compassionate people. Discuss why compassion and a willingness to help others might be valuable in a climate like the one on Iceland.
3. In most major religions hospitality towards strangers is a basic tenet of the religion. Discuss why this would be true especially in view of the survival of the species.
Essay Topic 3
Pitt's character is revealed as that of an officer who is greatly respected and admired but operates outside the normal rules and regulations. He is a maverick who gets things done.
1. What have you read of Pitt in the first few chapters that explain him being admired and respected? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. What do you think the word maverick means in the context of the above statement? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Do you think someone in the military should be allowed to operate outside the normal rules and regulations? What types of situations can that type of behavior incur?
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)