|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the man Pitt talked to at the airport?
2. Where does Kirsti take Pitt and Tidi?
3. What happens to Pitt right after the poetry reading?
4. What does Pitt realize as he talks to all the victims?
5. What can Pitt do that no one else can as far as the events in Iceland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens right as Pitt is looking for a way to leave the trophy room?
2. What does Kippman reveal about Hermit Limited?
3. What does Pitt realize as he is talking to Sandecker about rescue efforts?
4. What does Pitt do when James is talking? How does James respond?
5. How does Pitt act when he first arrives at the party and how is he dressed?
6. Why was the crash site chosen? What does Pitt find out as he talks to the others?
7. What does Pitt see when he first wakes up after the poetry party?
8. What lands near the Andursson's home?
9. What plane does Pitt see in the hanger and what is interesting about it?
10. What does Pitt do in order to get help?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hunnewell's death greatly affects Pitt, who feels he has lost a friend due to his own failures.
1. What does Pitt's believing his failure caused Hunnewell's death seem to suggest about his character? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. The above sentence suggest that Pitt and Hunnewell were friends. Discuss their friendship using examples from the text to illustrate your answer.
3. The death of a friend would affect anyone. Discuss how you think that would affect a person and what a person can do to deal with the grief.
Essay Topic 2
Pitt's character is revealed as that of an officer who is greatly respected and admired but operates outside the normal rules and regulations. He is a maverick who gets things done.
1. What have you read of Pitt in the first few chapters that explain him being admired and respected? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. What do you think the word maverick means in the context of the above statement? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Do you think someone in the military should be allowed to operate outside the normal rules and regulations? What types of situations can that type of behavior incur?
Essay Topic 3
The contrast of an ancient plane beating the plans of a madman's computers is enjoyed by Pitt immensely.
1. Explain in detail, using examples, why you think Pitt enjoyed the irony in the above situation.
2. Discuss what irony is and why the above situation is an example of it.
3. Is the most modern technology always the best choice for solving a problem? Discuss why or why not this is true and a situation which illustrates your position.
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)