|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pitt do at the home of the Icelander who found him?
2. Why was this site chosen for the people?
3. Who is in Sandecker's office when Pitt arrives?
4. What does Pitt do with Tidi?
5. Where is the party Pitt attends held?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sandecker's response to the man in his office and what does Pitt say?
2. What does Sam Kelly ask his brother and what does his brother tell him?
3. What happened in the confrontation between Pitt and Lillie?
4. Where does Pitt go after their boating incident? Who takes him and how does Pitt feel about that person? Who does Pitt find?
5. How does Pitt act when he first arrives at the party and how is he dressed?
6. Why was the crash site chosen? What does Pitt find out as he talks to the others?
7. What does Pitt do in order to get help?
8. What does Pitt realize as he is talking to Sandecker about rescue efforts?
9. Why does Rondheim recite the Rime of the Ancient Mariner? What is Pitt's reaction?
10. What does Pitt see when he first wakes up after the poetry party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Danger increases as the Pitt realizes he can't even trust his own military with the truth and must continue spinning lies to keep them off balance.
1. Discuss what has occurred in the first four chapters of the book that would make Pitt believe he can't trust the U.S. military.
2. Do you think the military can be trusted in real life? Why or why not?
3. Pitt seems to be fighting lies with lies? Does this seem to be the best way to go about this? Use examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The contrast of an ancient plane beating the plans of a madman's computers is enjoyed by Pitt immensely.
1. Explain in detail, using examples, why you think Pitt enjoyed the irony in the above situation.
2. Discuss what irony is and why the above situation is an example of it.
3. Is the most modern technology always the best choice for solving a problem? Discuss why or why not this is true and a situation which illustrates your position.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Compare and contrast the characters Dirk Pitt and Oskar Rondheim.
2. Compare and contrast the characters Tidi and Kirsti.
3. Compare and contrast the characters James Kelly and Sam Kelly.
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)