|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Pitt's boss?
2. What does Pitt begin to suspect as Hunnewell works?
3. What is the Coast Guard plane doing at the beginning of this novel?
4. What happens to Hunnewell as a result of the crash?
5. How much older than Kristjan is Kirsti?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Pitt when he awakens after leaving the doctor's village?
2. What had Fyrie's company invented and what did he plan to do with it?
3. What do the people in Question #1 do about their find? Who sees them do this?
4. How does Pitt respond to Kirsti when she arrives at the restaurant?
5. What do Pitt and those with him find when they get on a boat?
6. What does Sandecker tell Pitt about the Lax and what was on it?
7. Who is on patrol in the beginning of the book and what do they find?
8. What causes Koski suspicions when Pitt is being shown around the ship?
9. What does Koski tell his subordinate to do about the new people on his ship? Why is Koski puzzled?
10. What does Pitt do after he wakes up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pitt's superior physical strength and abilities are demonstrated as he saves Hunnewell's life on the iceberg.
1. Do you think Cussler's portrayal of Pitt is unrealistic for any human? Why or why not?
2. How do you think Pitt was able to develop his strength and abilities? Use examples from the book and/or real life to illustrate your answer.
3. Do you believe the incident with Pitt and Hunnewell, with Pitt saving Hunnewell is a demonstration of why most women would not do well in these types of military positions? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Pitt is a consummate ladies man with few boundaries or shame, but he holds his friendships dearer than his desire for the beautiful Tidi. Pitt's loyalty to Sandecker runs deep, and it is obvious the old man considers Pitt to be like a son to him.
1. What do you think is meant by the first sentence above? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss in depth what loyalty to an individual means in terms of various relationships such as superior officer, friend, sibling, etc.
3. How do you think the fact that Sandecker considers Pitt to be like a son to him has been demonstrated in this book? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
As they hash out the circumstances and evidence, it is clear there is a strong bond that runs deeper than Admiral and Major between the men. They trust each other's opinions, and respect the intelligence displayed there.
1. How do you think trust between two individuals is built? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss what parts of Pitt's and Sandecker's conversation demonstrate their intelligence and why the reader can see that they both respect the other's intelligence.
3. What do you think the normal bond between a superior officer and a subordinate would look like? How does that compare with the bond between Pitt and Sandecker?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)