|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits Pitt where he is staying right after the crash?
2. What do Pitt and Hunnewell find on the surface of the iceberg?
3. What is obvious when they find the ship in the iceberg?
4. Who watches the Coast Guard ship fly away?
5. What does Koski tell his Executive Officer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pitt do while Hunnewell probes the iceberg for the ship?
2. How does Hunnewell feel about Fyrie and what does he tell Pitt about the man?
3. What favor does Pitt ask of Rondheim and how does he respond?
4. What do Pitt and Hunnewell do when the cutter gets close to the iceberg?
5. What does Pitt see coming near the helicopter and what happens to the helicopter after that?
6. What had Fyrie's company invented and what did he plan to do with it?
7. How does Pitt feel towards Sandecker and the Admiral towards Pitt?
8. Who is Lee Koski and what is he watching on his deck during a storm?
9. Describe the scene between Pitt and the boat chasing him.
10. What are Pitt and Hunnewell discussing as they fly towards Reykjavik in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The danger increases as Pitt is rescued only to face more threats from an impostor policemen. Here the warm characters of the native Icelanders is shown in their passions for their townspeople and for strangers.
1. As the danger to Pitt increases the tension in the novel increases. Discuss how a subtle increase in danger and tension is used to prod readers to continue reading the book.
2. The Icelanders seem to be compassionate people. Discuss why compassion and a willingness to help others might be valuable in a climate like the one on Iceland.
3. In most major religions hospitality towards strangers is a basic tenet of the religion. Discuss why this would be true especially in view of the survival of the species.
Essay Topic 2
This novel is an adventure/suspense novel. Discuss one of the following:
1. Why are these types of novels popular?
2. What can a reader learn from this type of novel especially about how to deal with difficult situations?
3. Discuss how this adventure/suspense novel, written in the 1970's differs from those written in the 21st. century.
Essay Topic 3
The contrast of an ancient plane beating the plans of a madman's computers is enjoyed by Pitt immensely.
1. Explain in detail, using examples, why you think Pitt enjoyed the irony in the above situation.
2. Discuss what irony is and why the above situation is an example of it.
3. Is the most modern technology always the best choice for solving a problem? Discuss why or why not this is true and a situation which illustrates your position.
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)