|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Pitt see a Russian submarine?
2. What is the Coast Guard plane doing at the beginning of this novel?
3. What did Kirsti do about the company after Kristjan died?
4. What do Pitt and Kirsti do at first at the table in the restaurant?
5. What does Hunnewell do after they land on the iceberg?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pitt do while Hunnewell probes the iceberg for the ship?
2. Who is the man in Sandecker's office and what does he tell Pitt?
3. Where does Pitt go after their boating incident? Who takes him and how does Pitt feel about that person? Who does Pitt find?
4. What do Pitt and Hunnewell find on the embedded ship?
5. What does Rondheim ask Pitt and and do he and Tidi handle the question?
6. Describe Pitt's fight with the Hermit henchmen and with Rondheim.
7. What does Sam Kelly ask his brother and what does his brother tell him?
8. What do Pitt and Hunnewell do when they depart the first iceberg? What does Pitt think when they land?
9. What do the people in Question #1 do about their find? Who sees them do this?
10. What had Fyrie's company invented and what did he plan to do with it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tidi reacts hysterically to the fact the men in the hydrofoil are killed, but this gives Sandecker and Pitt a chance to explain their motives and their philosophy that it is better for them to survive than be killed by Oskar's henchmen.
1. Explain why one might judge the above statement to be sexist. Use examples from the book and real life to support your answer.
2. Realistically, shouldn't everyone, man or woman, get upset when people are killed? Do you agree with this statement? Explain why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Jerome P. Lillie is introduced. His role as a National Security agent who is working with Pitt now allows Pitt to access information from another, wider-reaching source. Typical of Pitt, threats and physical action must occur before the two men can respect each other, but once Lillie earns Pitt's trust, Pitt tells him everything.
1. What do you think the fact that Pitt has to have threats and physical action before he can respect a man says about his character?
2. In your opinion, discuss whether you believe the author is trying too hard to make Pitt look really masculine and tough. Include in your discussion whether you believe Pitt would be just as likable a character if he was less macho.
3. Discuss whether you think the job in which Lillie works and Pitt must have highly masculine, tough people in order to do the job.
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Hunnewell chastises Pitt for telling the Lt. Cmdr a lie about the reason for tracking down the iceberg.
1. Why do you think Hunnewell chastises Pitt for lying to Koski? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss, with examples, what you can infer about Hunnewell's character from his chastisement of Pitt.
3. Do you think there are situations in life, especially in the military that require being secretive or dishonest? Why or why not? Use examples to support your answer.
This section contains 2,854 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)