|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Pitt get the men into another room?
2. What does Pitt smell when they land on another iceberg?
3. How do Pitt and his boss feel about his immediate plans?
4. How does the crew mark the position of the iceberg?
5. Who was in the boat that left the submarine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had Fyrie's company invented and what did he plan to do with it?
2. What does Koski tell his subordinate to do about the new people on his ship? Why is Koski puzzled?
3. Who is with Pitt when he awakens? How does he feel about her and she about him?
4. Describe the scene between Pitt and the boat chasing him.
5. How does Hunnewell feel about Fyrie and what does he tell Pitt about the man?
6. What favor does Pitt ask of Rondheim and how does he respond?
7. What does Sandecker order Pitt and how does he respond?
8. How does Pitt respond to Kirsti when she arrives at the restaurant?
9. What allayed Koski's concerns about Pitt and Hunnewell?
10. How does Pitt feel towards Sandecker and the Admiral towards Pitt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pitt's dedication to his job and his sense of survival never allows him to consider Kirsti as a potential lover. Pitt uses Oskar's confusion about Pitt's masculinity to maneuver a boat from Kirsti and Oskar so he can begin looking for the jet.
1. Discuss what could occur in a situation like Pitt's if he had not set aside his attraction to Kirsti and had pursued it.
2. The prevailing consensus in work places is to never have an affair with a co-worker or boss. How do you think this idea would support Pitt's turning away from Kirsti?
3. Why do you think Pitt pretending to be a homosexual could confuse a person to the point of conceding a favor to a stranger? Use examples to illustrate your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Pitt's superior physical strength and abilities are demonstrated as he saves Hunnewell's life on the iceberg.
1. Do you think Cussler's portrayal of Pitt is unrealistic for any human? Why or why not?
2. How do you think Pitt was able to develop his strength and abilities? Use examples from the book and/or real life to illustrate your answer.
3. Do you believe the incident with Pitt and Hunnewell, with Pitt saving Hunnewell is a demonstration of why most women would not do well in these types of military positions? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Pitt arrives at the party, which is held at Rondheim's huge mansion. Pitt is dressed in red velvet and continues his masquerade as a homosexual.
1. Do you think all homosexuals dress a certain way? What kind of thinking is this? Does Pitt dressing this way imply that if you see a man in cowboy boots and blue jeans he must be heterosexual? Why or why not?
2. Discuss what other kinds of other stereotypes and labels you see in this book.
3. Discuss, with examples why you believe people label others and group certain individuals together as if they were not separate from the group. Explain why the idea of lumping people into groups is dangerous to society as a whole.
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)