|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of markings does the black jet Pitt sees approaching them have?
2. How does Pitt get the men into another room?
3. What does Pitt smell when they land on another iceberg?
4. What does Pitt begin to suspect as Hunnewell works?
5. What does Pitt say is the reason he needs to pursue the mystery of the ship and the probe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pitt do off the boat? What does Sandecker see? What does Pitt discover?
2. What lands near the Andursson's home?
3. What does Pitt realize as he is talking to Sandecker about rescue efforts?
4. How does Pitt feel towards Sandecker and the Admiral towards Pitt?
5. What causes Koski suspicions when Pitt is being shown around the ship?
6. What does Sandecker tell Pitt about Kristjan's twin sister?
7. What do Pitt and Hunnewell do when the cutter gets close to the iceberg?
8. What does Kippman reveal about Hermit Limited?
9. How does Hunnewell feel about Fyrie and what does he tell Pitt about the man?
10. What does Pitt do after he wakes up?
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Hunnewell chastises Pitt for telling the Lt. Cmdr a lie about the reason for tracking down the iceberg.
1. Why do you think Hunnewell chastises Pitt for lying to Koski? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss, with examples, what you can infer about Hunnewell's character from his chastisement of Pitt.
3. Do you think there are situations in life, especially in the military that require being secretive or dishonest? Why or why not? Use examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
As they hash out the circumstances and evidence, it is clear there is a strong bond that runs deeper than Admiral and Major between the men. They trust each other's opinions, and respect the intelligence displayed there.
1. How do you think trust between two individuals is built? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss what parts of Pitt's and Sandecker's conversation demonstrate their intelligence and why the reader can see that they both respect the other's intelligence.
3. What do you think the normal bond between a superior officer and a subordinate would look like? How does that compare with the bond between Pitt and Sandecker?
Essay Topic 3
Pitt has an immediate dislike for Rondheim and how he is treating Kirsti. Rondheim does not like Pitt either. Pitt decides to change his demeanor with Oskar; Pitt pretends, to the astonishment of Sandecker and Tidi, that he is a homosexual. Rondheim is disgusted and underestimates Pitt, which is part of Dirk's plan.
1. Do you think it is possible to dislike or like someone the moment one meets them? Why or why not?
2. Given the era in which this book was written, why do you think someone would underestimate a "homosexual?"
3. Discuss the various stereotypes and labels that occur in the above statement about homosexuals.
This section contains 2,781 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)