Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the probe the last time it was seen?
2. How does the crew mark the position of the iceberg?
3. What is another mystery about the probe Pitt wants to solve?
4. In the opening of Chapter Five where are Pitt and Hunnewell flying?
5. Who was in the boat that left the submarine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Pitt go after their boating incident? Who takes him and how does Pitt feel about that person? Who does Pitt find?
2. What does Pitt do when James is talking? How does James respond?
3. What does James Kelly explain to the group about Hermit Limited?
4. Why does Rondheim recite the Rime of the Ancient Mariner? What is Pitt's reaction?
5. What does Sandecker tell Pitt about the Lax and what was on it?
6. How does Hunnewell feel about Fyrie and what does he tell Pitt about the man?
7. At the beginning of Chapter 9 where is Pitt going, how is he dressed and who is with him?
8. What favor does Pitt ask of Rondheim and how does he respond?
9. What had Fyrie's company invented and what did he plan to do with it?
10. What does Pitt do while Hunnewell probes the iceberg for the ship?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Compare and contrast the characters Dirk Pitt and Oskar Rondheim.
2. Compare and contrast the characters Tidi and Kirsti.
3. Compare and contrast the characters James Kelly and Sam Kelly.
Essay Topic 2
Pitt's character is revealed as that of an officer who is greatly respected and admired but operates outside the normal rules and regulations. He is a maverick who gets things done.
1. What have you read of Pitt in the first few chapters that explain him being admired and respected? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. What do you think the word maverick means in the context of the above statement? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Do you think someone in the military should be allowed to operate outside the normal rules and regulations? What types of situations can that type of behavior incur?
Essay Topic 3
As they hash out the circumstances and evidence, it is clear there is a strong bond that runs deeper than Admiral and Major between the men. They trust each other's opinions, and respect the intelligence displayed there.
1. How do you think trust between two individuals is built? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss what parts of Pitt's and Sandecker's conversation demonstrate their intelligence and why the reader can see that they both respect the other's intelligence.
3. What do you think the normal bond between a superior officer and a subordinate would look like? How does that compare with the bond between Pitt and Sandecker?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)