|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another mystery about the probe Pitt wants to solve?
2. What does Pitt don to explore the wreck of the jet?
3. What does Pitt's boss say about his desire to solve the mystery?
4. What woman is with Pitt when he wakes in Chapter Seven?
5. What does Pitt begin to suspect as Hunnewell works?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is with Pitt when he awakens? How does he feel about her and she about him?
2. What does Sandecker tell Pitt about Kristjan's twin sister?
3. What had Fyrie's company invented and what did he plan to do with it?
4. What happens to Pitt and Hunnewell immediately after the crash?
5. Where is Pitt when he awakens after leaving the doctor's village?
6. What does Pitt do while Hunnewell probes the iceberg for the ship?
7. At the beginning of Chapter 9 where is Pitt going, how is he dressed and who is with him?
8. What do the people in Question #1 do about their find? Who sees them do this?
9. Who is on patrol in the beginning of the book and what do they find?
10. What allayed Koski's concerns about Pitt and Hunnewell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jerome P. Lillie is introduced. His role as a National Security agent who is working with Pitt now allows Pitt to access information from another, wider-reaching source. Typical of Pitt, threats and physical action must occur before the two men can respect each other, but once Lillie earns Pitt's trust, Pitt tells him everything.
1. What do you think the fact that Pitt has to have threats and physical action before he can respect a man says about his character?
2. In your opinion, discuss whether you believe the author is trying too hard to make Pitt look really masculine and tough. Include in your discussion whether you believe Pitt would be just as likable a character if he was less macho.
3. Discuss whether you think the job in which Lillie works and Pitt must have highly masculine, tough people in order to do the job.
Essay Topic 2
Pitt's superior physical strength and abilities are demonstrated as he saves Hunnewell's life on the iceberg.
1. Do you think Cussler's portrayal of Pitt is unrealistic for any human? Why or why not?
2. How do you think Pitt was able to develop his strength and abilities? Use examples from the book and/or real life to illustrate your answer.
3. Do you believe the incident with Pitt and Hunnewell, with Pitt saving Hunnewell is a demonstration of why most women would not do well in these types of military positions? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Hunnewell chastises Pitt for telling the Lt. Cmdr a lie about the reason for tracking down the iceberg.
1. Why do you think Hunnewell chastises Pitt for lying to Koski? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss, with examples, what you can infer about Hunnewell's character from his chastisement of Pitt.
3. Do you think there are situations in life, especially in the military that require being secretive or dishonest? Why or why not? Use examples to support your answer.
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)