|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Koski tell his Executive Officer?
2. What is one of the mysteries Pitt wants to solve?
3. What could the sea probe Fyrie's company discovered do?
4. Why does Pitt meet with an Admiral after he wakes?
5. What has Koski puzzled about the landing of the helicopter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sandecker tell Pitt about Kristjan's twin sister?
2. What do Pitt and Hunnewell do when the cutter gets close to the iceberg?
3. What happens to Pitt and Hunnewell immediately after the crash?
4. What allayed Koski's concerns about Pitt and Hunnewell?
5. How does Pitt feel towards Sandecker and the Admiral towards Pitt?
6. What had Fyrie's company invented and what did he plan to do with it?
7. What do Pitt and those with him find when they get on a boat?
8. What causes Koski suspicions when Pitt is being shown around the ship?
9. Describe the scene between Pitt and the boat chasing him.
10. What favor does Pitt ask of Rondheim and how does he respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The danger increases as Pitt is rescued only to face more threats from an impostor policemen. Here the warm characters of the native Icelanders is shown in their passions for their townspeople and for strangers.
1. As the danger to Pitt increases the tension in the novel increases. Discuss how a subtle increase in danger and tension is used to prod readers to continue reading the book.
2. The Icelanders seem to be compassionate people. Discuss why compassion and a willingness to help others might be valuable in a climate like the one on Iceland.
3. In most major religions hospitality towards strangers is a basic tenet of the religion. Discuss why this would be true especially in view of the survival of the species.
Essay Topic 2
Pitt's character is revealed as that of an officer who is greatly respected and admired but operates outside the normal rules and regulations. He is a maverick who gets things done.
1. What have you read of Pitt in the first few chapters that explain him being admired and respected? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. What do you think the word maverick means in the context of the above statement? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Do you think someone in the military should be allowed to operate outside the normal rules and regulations? What types of situations can that type of behavior incur?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Compare and contrast the characters Dirk Pitt and Oskar Rondheim.
2. Compare and contrast the characters Tidi and Kirsti.
3. Compare and contrast the characters James Kelly and Sam Kelly.
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)