|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of markings does the black jet Pitt sees approaching them have?
2. Why does Hunnewell chastise Pitt?
3. What was Kirsti doing before Kristjan died?
4. What did Kirsti do about the company after Kristjan died?
5. Why is it difficult for the helicopter to land on Koski's cutter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had Fyrie's company invented and what did he plan to do with it?
2. What does Koski tell his subordinate to do about the new people on his ship? Why is Koski puzzled?
3. Who is Lee Koski and what is he watching on his deck during a storm?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 9 where is Pitt going, how is he dressed and who is with him?
5. Who is on patrol in the beginning of the book and what do they find?
6. What do the people in Question #1 do about their find? Who sees them do this?
7. What do Pitt and Hunnewell do when the cutter gets close to the iceberg?
8. Describe the scene between Pitt and the boat chasing him.
9. Where is Pitt when he awakens after leaving the doctor's village?
10. What do Pitt and Hunnewell find on the embedded ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Hunnewell chastises Pitt for telling the Lt. Cmdr a lie about the reason for tracking down the iceberg.
1. Why do you think Hunnewell chastises Pitt for lying to Koski? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss, with examples, what you can infer about Hunnewell's character from his chastisement of Pitt.
3. Do you think there are situations in life, especially in the military that require being secretive or dishonest? Why or why not? Use examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Pitt goes to the general transient aviation hanger, and locates the mechanic who scratched his initials into the hydraulic pump Pitt found. The mechanic tells Pitt about a couple men who contracted with him to do some work and would not sign off on the job. Cashman found a way to cover himself by making out a report and he was able to record the call numbers for the jet.
1. Amazing coincidence, isn't it? Narrative contrivance is the term used when barely plausible events occur in order to advance the plot. Explain why, with examples, this situation with the black jet could be a narrative contrivance.
2. The mechanic certainly sounds like he's on the ball. What do you think, in real life the chances are that most mechanics would do what Cashman did? Explain your answer.
3. Why do you think a mechanic would give Pitt the information he gave him? Explain your answer using text from the book to support it.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of one man making a difference is displayed here, as there is no one but Pitt who can save them all.
1. What do you think is meant by the theme expressed above?
2. Discuss and incident in depth you have seen or read about in which one person made a difference.
3. Although most people think of one person making a difference for the good of all, there have been many incidences in history in which one person made a negative impact. Discuss one of these people and how their character compared to Pitt's.
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)