|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Pitt feel about Oskar Rondheim when he meets him?
2. Who has taken over Kristjan's company?
3. What was Fyrie going to do with his sea probe?
4. How do Pitt and his boss feel about his immediate plans?
5. What does Pitt notice when Kristi arrives at the restaurant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pitt see coming near the helicopter and what happens to the helicopter after that?
2. Where is Pitt when he awakens after leaving the doctor's village?
3. What does Sandecker order Pitt and how does he respond?
4. Who is on patrol in the beginning of the book and what do they find?
5. What does Sandecker tell Pitt about the Lax and what was on it?
6. What do the people in Question #1 do about their find? Who sees them do this?
7. What had Fyrie's company invented and what did he plan to do with it?
8. Who is with Pitt when he awakens? How does he feel about her and she about him?
9. Who does Lt. Dover bring first to Koski and what does that person do? What is Koski's response?
10. What does Pitt do when Rondheim joins them and how does Rondheim respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Hunnewell chastises Pitt for telling the Lt. Cmdr a lie about the reason for tracking down the iceberg.
1. Why do you think Hunnewell chastises Pitt for lying to Koski? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss, with examples, what you can infer about Hunnewell's character from his chastisement of Pitt.
3. Do you think there are situations in life, especially in the military that require being secretive or dishonest? Why or why not? Use examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Pitt is a consummate ladies man with few boundaries or shame, but he holds his friendships dearer than his desire for the beautiful Tidi. Pitt's loyalty to Sandecker runs deep, and it is obvious the old man considers Pitt to be like a son to him.
1. What do you think is meant by the first sentence above? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss in depth what loyalty to an individual means in terms of various relationships such as superior officer, friend, sibling, etc.
3. How do you think the fact that Sandecker considers Pitt to be like a son to him has been demonstrated in this book? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Pitt's superior physical strength and abilities are demonstrated as he saves Hunnewell's life on the iceberg.
1. Do you think Cussler's portrayal of Pitt is unrealistic for any human? Why or why not?
2. How do you think Pitt was able to develop his strength and abilities? Use examples from the book and/or real life to illustrate your answer.
3. Do you believe the incident with Pitt and Hunnewell, with Pitt saving Hunnewell is a demonstration of why most women would not do well in these types of military positions? Why or why not?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)