|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hunnewell do while they are walking on the iceberg?
2. The morning after Pitt arrives on the cutter where does Dover take him and Hunnewell?
3. What does Pitt tell Koski about Hunnewell's request?
4. How does Rondheim feel about Pitt when they meet?
5. Where do Pitt and Hunnewell end up after the helicopter crashes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pitt do when Rondheim joins them and how does Rondheim respond?
2. What causes Koski suspicions when Pitt is being shown around the ship?
3. Who is Lee Koski and what is he watching on his deck during a storm?
4. What had Fyrie's company invented and what did he plan to do with it?
5. How does Pitt feel towards Sandecker and the Admiral towards Pitt?
6. What does Pitt do while Hunnewell probes the iceberg for the ship?
7. What does Sandecker order Pitt and how does he respond?
8. What do Pitt and Hunnewell do when they depart the first iceberg? What does Pitt think when they land?
9. At the beginning of Chapter 9 where is Pitt going, how is he dressed and who is with him?
10. What do Pitt and those with him find when they get on a boat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tidi reacts hysterically to the fact the men in the hydrofoil are killed, but this gives Sandecker and Pitt a chance to explain their motives and their philosophy that it is better for them to survive than be killed by Oskar's henchmen.
1. Explain why one might judge the above statement to be sexist. Use examples from the book and real life to support your answer.
2. Realistically, shouldn't everyone, man or woman, get upset when people are killed? Do you agree with this statement? Explain why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Pitt's character is revealed as that of an officer who is greatly respected and admired but operates outside the normal rules and regulations. He is a maverick who gets things done.
1. What have you read of Pitt in the first few chapters that explain him being admired and respected? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. What do you think the word maverick means in the context of the above statement? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Do you think someone in the military should be allowed to operate outside the normal rules and regulations? What types of situations can that type of behavior incur?
Essay Topic 3
As they hash out the circumstances and evidence, it is clear there is a strong bond that runs deeper than Admiral and Major between the men. They trust each other's opinions, and respect the intelligence displayed there.
1. How do you think trust between two individuals is built? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss what parts of Pitt's and Sandecker's conversation demonstrate their intelligence and why the reader can see that they both respect the other's intelligence.
3. What do you think the normal bond between a superior officer and a subordinate would look like? How does that compare with the bond between Pitt and Sandecker?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)