|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hunnewell do while they are walking on the iceberg?
2. How does Koski feel about Pitt after talking with him?
3. How is Pitt dressed when he goes to borrow one of Rondheim's boats?
4. Why do Pitt and Hunnewell depart in the helicopter?
5. What happens to Hunnewell as a result of the crash?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Pitt when he awakens after leaving the doctor's village?
2. What does Sandecker tell Pitt about Kristjan's twin sister?
3. Who is on patrol in the beginning of the book and what do they find?
4. What does Pitt see when he first wakes up after the poetry party?
5. What does Sandecker tell Pitt about the Lax and what was on it?
6. What causes Koski suspicions when Pitt is being shown around the ship?
7. What does Rondheim ask Pitt and and do he and Tidi handle the question?
8. Who is the man in Sandecker's office and what does he tell Pitt?
9. At the beginning of Chapter 9 where is Pitt going, how is he dressed and who is with him?
10. What do Pitt and Hunnewell do when they depart the first iceberg? What does Pitt think when they land?
Essay Topic 1
Pitt's character is revealed as that of an officer who is greatly respected and admired but operates outside the normal rules and regulations. He is a maverick who gets things done.
1. What have you read of Pitt in the first few chapters that explain him being admired and respected? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. What do you think the word maverick means in the context of the above statement? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Do you think someone in the military should be allowed to operate outside the normal rules and regulations? What types of situations can that type of behavior incur?
Essay Topic 2
Hunnewell's death greatly affects Pitt, who feels he has lost a friend due to his own failures.
1. What does Pitt's believing his failure caused Hunnewell's death seem to suggest about his character? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. The above sentence suggest that Pitt and Hunnewell were friends. Discuss their friendship using examples from the text to illustrate your answer.
3. The death of a friend would affect anyone. Discuss how you think that would affect a person and what a person can do to deal with the grief.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Compare and contrast the characters Dirk Pitt and Oskar Rondheim.
2. Compare and contrast the characters Tidi and Kirsti.
3. Compare and contrast the characters James Kelly and Sam Kelly.
This section contains 2,787 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)