|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pitt say is the reason he needs to pursue the mystery of the ship and the probe?
2. Who has taken over Kristjan's company?
3. How does Pitt feel about Oskar Rondheim when he meets him?
4. What are Pitt's next orders?
5. Where is Pitt when he wakes up the morning after he crashes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Lt. Dover bring first to Koski and what does that person do? What is Koski's response?
2. How does Pitt feel towards Sandecker and the Admiral towards Pitt?
3. Who shows up at the doctor's house where Pitt has been taken and what happens to them?
4. What favor does Pitt ask of Rondheim and how does he respond?
5. Who is on patrol in the beginning of the book and what do they find?
6. What situation is explained to Koski?
7. What does Sandecker tell Pitt about the Lax and what was on it?
8. What do Pitt and those with him find when they get on a boat?
9. What happens to Pitt and Hunnewell immediately after the crash?
10. Who is with Pitt when he awakens? How does he feel about her and she about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kelly speaks of goodness, of re-writing history, of compassion for the masses; yet his actions are tinged with violence. James Kelly has worthy goals and ideals, but he has surrounded himself with ruthless killers in order to accomplish these ideals.
1. James Kelly seems to believe the end justifies the means. Discuss what this concept means in relationship to what James Kelly says he is trying to do.
2. Discuss the concept that good which associates itself with evil cannot long survive in view of the above statement.
3. Throughout history there have been people who believe they know what is best for everyone and attempt to impose their will on the "masses." Following research, compare an incident in history of this type of situation to the one James Kelly is attempting.
Essay Topic 2
Pitt's character is revealed as that of an officer who is greatly respected and admired but operates outside the normal rules and regulations. He is a maverick who gets things done.
1. What have you read of Pitt in the first few chapters that explain him being admired and respected? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. What do you think the word maverick means in the context of the above statement? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Do you think someone in the military should be allowed to operate outside the normal rules and regulations? What types of situations can that type of behavior incur?
Essay Topic 3
This novel is an adventure/suspense novel. Discuss one of the following:
1. Why are these types of novels popular?
2. What can a reader learn from this type of novel especially about how to deal with difficult situations?
3. Discuss how this adventure/suspense novel, written in the 1970's differs from those written in the 21st. century.
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)