|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who watches the Coast Guard ship fly away?
2. In the opening of Chapter Five where are Pitt and Hunnewell flying?
3. What does Pitt find in the jet?
4. Who has taken over Kristjan's company?
5. What does Hunnewell give Koski when he sees him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Pitt when he awakens after leaving the doctor's village?
2. Who is on patrol in the beginning of the book and what do they find?
3. What allayed Koski's concerns about Pitt and Hunnewell?
4. What do Pitt and Hunnewell find on the embedded ship?
5. What do the people in Question #1 do about their find? Who sees them do this?
6. What do Pitt and Hunnewell do when the cutter gets close to the iceberg?
7. What does Pitt do when Rondheim joins them and how does Rondheim respond?
8. What favor does Pitt ask of Rondheim and how does he respond?
9. What does Sandecker order Pitt and how does he respond?
10. Who shows up at the doctor's house where Pitt has been taken and what happens to them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pitt is a consummate ladies man with few boundaries or shame, but he holds his friendships dearer than his desire for the beautiful Tidi. Pitt's loyalty to Sandecker runs deep, and it is obvious the old man considers Pitt to be like a son to him.
1. What do you think is meant by the first sentence above? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss in depth what loyalty to an individual means in terms of various relationships such as superior officer, friend, sibling, etc.
3. How do you think the fact that Sandecker considers Pitt to be like a son to him has been demonstrated in this book? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Hunnewell chastises Pitt for telling the Lt. Cmdr a lie about the reason for tracking down the iceberg.
1. Why do you think Hunnewell chastises Pitt for lying to Koski? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss, with examples, what you can infer about Hunnewell's character from his chastisement of Pitt.
3. Do you think there are situations in life, especially in the military that require being secretive or dishonest? Why or why not? Use examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The danger increases as Pitt is rescued only to face more threats from an impostor policemen. Here the warm characters of the native Icelanders is shown in their passions for their townspeople and for strangers.
1. As the danger to Pitt increases the tension in the novel increases. Discuss how a subtle increase in danger and tension is used to prod readers to continue reading the book.
2. The Icelanders seem to be compassionate people. Discuss why compassion and a willingness to help others might be valuable in a climate like the one on Iceland.
3. In most major religions hospitality towards strangers is a basic tenet of the religion. Discuss why this would be true especially in view of the survival of the species.
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)