|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the crew see in the iceberg?
(a) A burned out ship.
(b) An American and French flag.
(c) Some frozen people.
(d) A mastodon.
2. What kind of markings does Pitt find on the jet?
(a) A call sign and the flag of Iceland.
(c) A call sign and a woman's name painted on the wing.
(d) Two eagles painted on the top side.
3. How does Rondheim feel about Pitt when they meet?
(a) He thinks he's interesting.
(b) He thinks Pitt is too intense.
(c) He thinks he's funny.
(d) He dislikes him immediately.
4. What do Pitt and Kirsti do at first at the table in the restaurant?
(a) Talk about the probe.
(b) Exchange sarcasm.
(d) Ignore each other.
5. What leads Sandecker to believe they have been spotted?
(a) Lights flashing Morse code.
(b) Another boat passed close by.
(d) A flash of binoculars.
6. What does Koski decide to do after talking with Pitt and Hunnewell?
(a) Put them in the brig.
(b) Let them know in a couple of hours his decision.
(c) Radio Washington.
(d) Change course.
7. How did Hunnewell feel about Fyrie?
(a) He was skeptical about him.
(b) He was afraid of him.
(c) He admired him.
(d) He didn't know him.
8. What is the Coast Guard plane doing at the beginning of this novel?
(a) Looking for survivors of a ship wreck.
(b) Trying to find the north pole.
(c) Tracking drug runners.
(d) It's on standard iceberg patrol.
9. How well known was Kirsti before Kristjan died?
(a) No one knew she existed.
(b) She was known only as his sister.
(c) She was in the paper a few times.
(d) She was quite active in churches in Iceland.
10. What did Hunnewell say was one of the big changes in Fyrie's life?
(a) His wife died very young.
(b) He went from poor to rich.
(c) He moved from Iceland to New York.
(d) He went from rich to poor.
11. Who did Sandecker send Pitt to find?
(a) Kristjan Fyrie.
(b) The captain of the ship.
(c) Kirsti Fyrie.
(d) A Russian spy the ship was bringing to the U.S.
12. What could the sea probe Fyrie's company discovered do?
(a) Find pockets of magnum.
(b) Find any sunken ship.
(c) Find fresh water pockets.
(d) Find anything on the bottom of the ocean.
13. What does Pitt do after seeing Koski?
(a) Go to bed.
(b) Tour the cutter.
(c) Go to eat dinner.
(d) Call Sandecker.
14. What does Hunnewell give Koski when he sees him?
(a) A piece of paper.
(b) A small, locked metal box.
(c) A cassette tape.
(d) A sealed envelope.
15. What does Kirsti do when she sees her fiance at the restaurant?
(a) Asks him to leave.
(b) Tells him to meet him later at her house.
(c) Asks him to join them.
(d) Ignores him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pitt begin to suspect as Hunnewell works?
2. In the opening of Chapter Five where are Pitt and Hunnewell flying?
3. What does Tidi do when Pitt goes in the water?
4. What did Kirsti do about the company after Kristjan died?
5. Why is it difficult for the helicopter to land on Koski's cutter?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)