|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hunnewell say was one of the big changes in Fyrie's life?
(a) He moved from Iceland to New York.
(b) His wife died very young.
(c) He went from poor to rich.
(d) He went from rich to poor.
2. What does Pitt smell when they land on another iceberg?
(b) Beef stew.
(c) Burnt oil.
3. What does Hunnewell do after they land on the iceberg?
(a) Probes for the ship.
(b) Drinks some hot coffee.
(c) Sets up radio communications.
(d) Talks to the men in navy jumpsuits.
4. What does Koski do about Hunnewell's request?
(a) He resists complying.
(b) He begins to honor it immediately.
(c) He has Hunnewell arrested.
(d) He says it is impossible.
5. What does Pitt tell Koski about Hunnewell's request?
(a) It comes from the highest authority.
(b) It is not that difficult.
(c) He puts a gun to his head and tells him to do it.
(d) If he doesn't he could be bring up on a court martial.
6. How does the crew mark the position of the iceberg?
(a) Drops a red dye flare on it.
(b) Drops four yellow buoys around it.
(c) Drops a homing beacon on it.
(d) Shoots a harpoon on the top of it with a red flag.
7. What does Pitt's boss say about his desire to solve the mystery?
(a) Finally relents.
(b) He will go with Pitt.
(c) He will think about it.
(d) Absolutely not.
8. What was the first iceberg Pitt found to be lacking?
(a) An American base.
(b) Red dye.
(c) An American flag.
(d) A Chinese submarine.
9. How do Pitt and his boss feel about his immediate plans?
(a) They will take about a week to implement.
(b) They must be kept top secret.
(c) Ready to go.
10. Who did Sandecker send Pitt to find?
(a) The captain of the ship.
(b) Kirsti Fyrie.
(c) Kristjan Fyrie.
(d) A Russian spy the ship was bringing to the U.S.
11. When does Pitt see a Russian submarine?
(a) About five minutes away from the cutter.
(b) While flying to the second iceberg.
(c) Right after taking off from the cutter.
(d) Right before landing on an iceberg.
12. Where do Pitt and Hunnewell go after they leave the iceberg on which they landed?
(a) They fly over the Chinese sub and drop depth charges.
(b) Back to the first iceberg.
(c) They head north looking for another iceberg.
(d) Back to the ship.
13. How does Rondheim feel about Pitt when they meet?
(a) He thinks he's funny.
(b) He thinks he's interesting.
(c) He thinks Pitt is too intense.
(d) He dislikes him immediately.
14. What does Pitt take from the men?
(b) Their clothes.
(c) Their wallets.
(d) Their weapons.
15. How well known was Kirsti before Kristjan died?
(a) She was in the paper a few times.
(b) No one knew she existed.
(c) She was known only as his sister.
(d) She was quite active in churches in Iceland.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Hunnewell as a result of the crash?
2. What did Kirsti do about the company after Kristjan died?
3. How does Pitt feel about Oskar Rondheim when he meets him?
4. What do Pitt's actions in Chapter One suggest about the man?
5. What does Hunnewell do while they are walking on the iceberg?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)