|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What procedure does Caitlin have done after Christmas?
(a) Bunions removed.
(b) Ingrown toenails removed.
(c) Teeth polished.
(d) Wisdom teeth pulled.
2. What town does Martin live in at the start of the book?
(c) Chisamba Singles.
(d) Cape Town.
3. What is "hot-sitting"?
(a) The practice of sitting on warm seats to keep the students warm in the winter.
(b) The practice of studying outside half the day because the classrooms were too crowded to hold all the students.
(c) The practice of putting a misbehaving student on a seat that is painted red.
(d) The practice of moving from seat to seat during a lesson in order to stay focused.
4. When Martin returns from his winter break in Harare, what does he discover?
(a) His mother has started to exercise.
(b) His brother has gotten taller.
(c) His father has lost his job.
(d) His sister has dyed her hair.
5. How does Martin's mom's behavior change after she receives the gifts in the Christmas box?
(a) She begins to study with Martin.
(b) She starts singing all the time.
(c) She stops working in the garden.
(d) She invites friends into her home.
6. What does Martin do with the first dollar bill that Caitlin sent to him?
(a) He uses it to buy a new Nike shirt.
(b) He hides it in the oil can stove.
(c) He puts it behind Caitlin's picture and saves it for his trip to America.
(d) He gives it to his mother to buy groceries with.
7. When Martin does not have any paper for his letter to Caitlin, what does he use to write on?
(a) A discarded ice cream wrapper.
(b) A page from his school textbook.
(c) A colorful piece of gift wrap.
(d) An old piece of newspaper.
8. What kind of work does Martin do at the market to earn money?
(a) He carries luggage and washed cars.
(b) He makes rope bracelets and sells them.
(c) He catches monkeys and sells them.
(d) He plucks chickens for a butcher.
9. What does Martin say Caitlin is wearing on her teeth?
10. What is the native language of Martin's family?
11. What does Martin's name mean in his native language?
(a) Be Well.
(c) Not Enough.
(d) Thank You.
12. When Martin's family cannot pay for his tuition for Marist Brothers, and Alois can only pay the deposit, what does Martin decide to do?
(a) Martin takes a third job cleaning the stalls at the market.
(b) Martin steals four chickens and sells them to neighbors.
(c) Martin sells his family's television set.
(d) Martin decides to write directly to Caitlin's parents and ask them for help.
13. What is the name of the foreign exchange student that comes to stay with Caitlin's family?
14. What food is the staple of Martin's diet?
15. When Caitlin sent Martin $20, what does the family buy for dinner?
(a) 6 pork chops.
(b) A chicken.
(c) Some hamburger.
(d) A pizza.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of pets does Caitlin's family have when she first writes to Martin?
2. Where does Caitlin's family vacation the summer after her seventh grade year?
3. When the book begins, what grade is Caitlin in?
4. What gift does Martin send to Caitlin in Chapter 9?
5. When Caitlin and Lisa meet two guys at the mall, where do the guys take them?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)