|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Caitlin want to do with the extra pizza left over from a luncheon at her mother's college?
(a) Give it to the poor girl in her English class.
(b) Pack slices separately and freeze them.
(c) Give it to a homeless Vietnam Vet.
(d) Take it home and eat the leftovers.
2. What kind of work does Martin do at the market to earn money?
(a) He catches monkeys and sells them.
(b) He carries luggage and washed cars.
(c) He plucks chickens for a butcher.
(d) He makes rope bracelets and sells them.
3. What job does Caitlin perform during the summer after her seventh grade year?
(a) She is a sales clerk.
(b) She is a camp counselor.
(c) She is a kid's softball coach.
(d) She is a piano teacher.
4. When Anne is finally able to talk to Martin's headmaster, how much money does she discover it will take to keep Martin and his siblings in school?
(a) $400 U.S. dollars.
(b) $50.00 U.S. dollars.
(c) $80 U.S. dollars.
(d) $200 U.S. dollars.
5. Where does Caitlin live when the book begins?
(a) Pennfield, Pennsylvania.
(b) Hatfield, Pennsylvania.
(c) Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
(d) Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
6. What do Caitlin and her mom use instead of packing peanuts in Martin's Christmas box?
(b) Bubble Wrap.
(d) Toilet Paper.
7. Which rock group do Caitlin and Martin both enjoy?
(a) The Beatles.
(b) Mumford and Sons.
(c) Spice Girls.
(d) Alabama Shakes.
8. What nickname does Caitlin's brother give her?
(a) The Queen.
(b) Mad Hatter.
(c) Ditzy Duchess.
(d) Crazy Woman.
9. What does Martin tell Caitlin about monkeys?
(a) Monkeys are red in color.
(b) Monkeys are really nasty.
(c) Monkeys are rare in Mutare.
(d) Monkeys make great pets.
10. When Martin returns from his winter break in Harare, what does he discover?
(a) His sister has dyed her hair.
(b) His mother has started to exercise.
(c) His father has lost his job.
(d) His brother has gotten taller.
11. Caitlin's mother knows Zimbabwe by another name. What is that name?
12. When the book begins, what grade is Caitlin in?
(a) Sixth grade.
(b) Eighth grade.
(c) Ninth grade.
(d) Seventh grade.
13. Why does RIchie move back home?
(a) Because he partied at school instead of attending classes.
(b) Because his roommate is mean and dirty.
(c) Because he is ill and needs medical attention.
(d) Because he cannot afford tuition.
14. Why does Caitlin stop playing with her kindergarten friend, Marlena?
(a) Caitlin slapped Marlena's face.
(b) Caitlin elbowed Marlena's nose.
(c) Cailin messed up Marlena's hair.
(d) Caitlin stepped on Marlena's foot.
15. What does "murungu" mean?
(a) A Shona word for electricity used during the night.
(b) A Shona word for people with white skin.
(c) A Shona word for a party with lots of food.
(d) A Shona word for students who cannot pay school fees.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country is the foreign exchange student that stays with Caitlin's family from?
2. What is "Chisamba Singles"?
3. When Caitlin sent Martin $20, what does the family buy for dinner?
4. What makes Caitlin more aware of the troubles Martin might be facing?
5. What government office is on strike in Zimbabwe?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)