|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What procedure does Caitlin have done after Christmas?
(a) Bunions removed.
(b) Wisdom teeth pulled.
(c) Ingrown toenails removed.
(d) Teeth polished.
2. What kind of work does Martin do at the market to earn money?
(a) He makes rope bracelets and sells them.
(b) He carries luggage and washed cars.
(c) He plucks chickens for a butcher.
(d) He catches monkeys and sells them.
3. Why does Simba get in trouble in school?
(a) Simba is sick and vomits on the floor.
(b) Simba is tired and falling asleep during lessons.
(c) Simba is bullying other kids for food because he is hungry.
(d) Simba is skipping classes because he hates school.
4. What is "hot-sitting"?
(a) The practice of putting a misbehaving student on a seat that is painted red.
(b) The practice of studying outside half the day because the classrooms were too crowded to hold all the students.
(c) The practice of sitting on warm seats to keep the students warm in the winter.
(d) The practice of moving from seat to seat during a lesson in order to stay focused.
5. What does Martin say is a popular snack in Zimbabwe?
(a) Poached guinea eggs.
(b) Toasted ricecakes.
(c) Baked yams.
(d) Roasted mice.
6. How many inches does Caitlin say she grew the summer of 1998?
(a) Five inches.
(b) Four inches.
(c) Three inches.
(d) Six inches.
7. Why does RIchie move back home?
(a) Because he partied at school instead of attending classes.
(b) Because he is ill and needs medical attention.
(c) Because his roommate is mean and dirty.
(d) Because he cannot afford tuition.
8. When Martin does not have any paper for his letter to Caitlin, what does he use to write on?
(a) A discarded ice cream wrapper.
(b) An old piece of newspaper.
(c) A page from his school textbook.
(d) A colorful piece of gift wrap.
9. What item do Caitlin and Lauren fight about in December of 1998? (Chapter 11)
(a) A Janet Jackson CD.
(b) A bottle of nail polish.
(c) A pair of gold hoop earrings.
(d) A sparkly keyring.
10. How does Martin catch up on his studies after he is reinstated in school?
(a) He sneaks into the Teacher's College Library to study at night.
(b) He goes to his father's office to study.
(c) He goes to stay with his cousin while he is studying.
(d) He lives with a friend who is also studying.
11. How many Zimbabwean dollars are equal to one American dollar when Caitlin sends the first dollar to Martin? (Chapter 6)
12. What gift in the Christmas box allows Martin's mother "to be counted in society"?
13. What country is the foreign exchange student that stays with Caitlin's family from?
14. How long has Martin had his toothbrush?
(a) Thirty months.
(b) Seven years.
(c) Six months.
(d) Three years.
15. What is Caitlin's brother's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Martin do with the first dollar bill that Caitlin sent to him?
2. In the seventh grade, what sport does Caitlin sign up to play?
3. What color are Martin's school uniforms?
4. What does Caitlin want to do with the extra pizza left over from a luncheon at her mother's college?
5. What is the native language of Martin's family?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)