|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who saves Dr. Calvin from being attacked by the robot in the end of “Little Lost Robot”?
2. Where does Donovan suggest the ship be sent in the end of “Escape!”?
3. When did Stephen Byerley first enter public office, according to Dr. Calvin in “Evidence”?
4. Herbie reads Calvin’s thoughts and discovers that she is attracted to whom in “Liar!”?
5. Dr. Calvin says in the end of “Evidence” that when Stephen Byerley decided to die, he had himself what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Calvin and Bogert discover to be the reason behind the missing robot in “Little Lost Robot”?
2. How does Stephen Byerley attempt to disprove the allegation against him in the interview with Calvin and Lanning in “Evidence”? How does Dr. Calvin respond?
3. What is significant about the conclusions of Byerley’s identity in “Evidence”?
4. Who issues the orders for the process of investigation in “Liar!”?
5. What types of books does Dr. Calvin bring to Herbie in “Liar!” Which does he prefer?
6. What conclusion does The Brain reach upon analyzing all of the data in “Escape!”? Why does this concern Dr. Calvin?
7. What is the basis of Dr. Calvin’s fear of the robots and their capabilities in “Little Lost Robot”?
8. What thought does Herbie read of Dr. Calvin’s in “Liar!”?
9. What does Stephen Byerley tell Dr. Calvin and Dr. Lanning upon their departure from the interview in “Evidence”?
10. What does Stephen Byerley communicate to Dr. Calvin in the beginning of “The Evitable Conflict”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the role of U.S. Robots and Mechanical Men Corporation in the novel. How is this company involved in the story of “Robbie”? What is related about the goals of the company by Dr. Susan Calvin? How does Calvin feel about U.S. Robotics upon retiring?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the NS-2 model of robots introduced in “Little Lost Robot.” What capabilities do these machines have? How do they differ from robots in the previous stories? What makes Nestor 10 stand out among this model? How are the robots described? How large are they?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of “Catch That Rabbit.” In what year does the story begin? Where are Powell and Donovan stationed in this story? How do they feel about the setting and their objectives?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)