|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Susan Calvin takes Herbie two kinds of books in “Liar!” What is the second type of books?
2. Bogert asks Dr. Calvin if they could find the lost robot by questioning the robots about what in “Little Lost Robot”?
3. The personality instilled in The Brain is described as being like what?
4. What is the Capital of the European Region in “The Evitable Conflict”?
5. What does the Co-ordinator say “reports an overproduction of twenty thousand long tons” in the beginning of “The Evitable Conflict”?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom does Stephen Byerley care for secretly in “Evidence”? How does this character respond to the information about the interview?
2. What thought does Herbie read of Dr. Calvin’s in “Liar!”?
3. What is foreshadowed through the plot of “Liar!”?
4. What is the basis of Dr. Calvin’s fear of the robots and their capabilities in “Little Lost Robot”?
5. How does Stephen Byerley attempt to disprove the allegation against him in the interview with Calvin and Lanning in “Evidence”? How does Dr. Calvin respond?
6. How does the story “Liar!” mark a turning point in I, Robot?
7. What is significant about the conclusions of Byerley’s identity in “Evidence”?
8. What conclusion does The Brain reach upon analyzing all of the data in “Escape!”? Why does this concern Dr. Calvin?
9. What do Dr. Calvin and Dr. Lanning relate to Francis Quinn after their interview with Stephen Byerley in “Evidence”?
10. What does Dr. Calvin tell The Brain about its coming project in “Escape!”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the setting of “Robbie.” Is this setting a realistic one? How does Isaac Asimov’s vision of the future relate to the reality of 1996 in America? Where does Gloria’s family live in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the interstellar ship built by The Brain in “Escape!” based upon the description in the narrative, what do you envision the ship to look like? How fast does it travel? What do Donovan and Powell remark about the ship upon seeing it?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the NS-2 model of robots introduced in “Little Lost Robot.” What capabilities do these machines have? How do they differ from robots in the previous stories? What makes Nestor 10 stand out among this model? How are the robots described? How large are they?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)