|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ashe’s first name in the novel?
2. According to Calvin in “Liar!,” the kind of harm referred to in the First Law is expanding to include the concept of what in Herbie?
3. How many days have Donovan and Powell been on the ship when the encounter the interstellar jump in “Escape!”?
4. The personality instilled in The Brain is described as being like what?
5. When Lanning and Calvin interview Byerley, he consumes what to disprove Quinn’s theory in “Evidence”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problem is presented in the beginning of “Little Lost Robot”?
2. How are the Three Laws of Robotics explored thematically in “Little Lost Robot”?
3. What is related of the Northern Region in “The Evitable Conflict”?
4. What is decided as the course of action among the executives in the beginning of “Escape!”?
5. What thought does Herbie read of Dr. Calvin’s in “Liar!”?
6. Where are Dr. Calvin and Dr. Bogert in the beginning of “Little Lost Robot”? Who greets them?
7. How does Dr. Calvin react to the information about the modified First Law in the robots in “Little Lost Robot”?
8. What is related of the problems in the Tropic Region in “The Evitable Conflict”?
9. What do Dr. Calvin and Dr. Lanning relate to Francis Quinn after their interview with Stephen Byerley in “Evidence”?
10. What information does Francis Quinn present to Dr. Lanning in the beginning of “Evidence”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the setting of “Little Lost Robot.” How does this setting relate to others in the collection? In what year does the story begin? How many hears had passed since the hyperatomic motor had been invented and what significance does this have in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the point of view of the narrative and the role of the narrator in the novel. How does the narrator’s point of view affect the reader? Do you empathize with the narrator? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of The Brain in “Escape!” Technically speaking, what is The Brain? How does this “robot” compare to central computing systems? What are the characteristics of The Brain’s personality?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)