|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the model of the robot that Speedy is in “Runaround”?
2. What surrounds the mining pool, causing danger to Speedy, in “Runaround”?
3. How long have Powell and Donovan been on Mercury in the beginning of “Runaround”?
4. What word from the Introduction refers to excessive growth or accumulation of any kind?
5. How much does Dave weight in “Catch That Rabbit”?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where are Donovan and Powell in the beginning of “Reason”? How much time has elapsed since “Runaround”?
2. What theme is established in the book’s Introduction?
3. What is discovered about the earlier generation robots in “Runaround”?
4. What principle purpose does the Introduction of I, Robot serve?
5. What is foreshadowed by Dr. Calvin’s comments about labor unions and religious groups in the Introduction?
6. What does Donovan do that leads to the main conflict in “Reason”?
7. How does Mrs. Weston explain Robbie’s absence when he is sent away in “Robbie”?
8. How is the robot Cutie described in the beginning of “Reason”? What objective does he state in the beginning of the story?
9. Why does Mrs. Weston interrupt Mr. Weston’s private time in his office in the beginning of “Robbie”?
10. What is implied about the Interviewer in the book’s Introduction? Why is this significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the interstellar ship built by The Brain in “Escape!” based upon the description in the narrative, what do you envision the ship to look like? How fast does it travel? What do Donovan and Powell remark about the ship upon seeing it?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the governmental system described in “Evidence.” Into what divisions is the Earth split up? How is each division governed? What current system does this most resemble? How does this system compare with our own governments today? Do you think Asimov was making a political statement with this story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the NS-2 model of robots introduced in “Little Lost Robot.” What capabilities do these machines have? How do they differ from robots in the previous stories? What makes Nestor 10 stand out among this model? How are the robots described? How large are they?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)