|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What temperature is Robbie’s metal skin kept at by high resistance coils in Chapter One, “Robbie”?
2. What color is Mike Donovan’s hair in “Runaround”?
3. According to Powell, the first step of what is catching the rabbit in “Catch That Rabbit”?
4. In what year does Susan Calvin say that the mobile speaking robot was invented in Chapter One, “Robbie”?
5. What is the name of the general manager that takes Gloria’s family on a tour of a robot manufacturing company in Chapter One, “Robbie”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is taking place in the beginning of “Robbie”? How are the principle characters described?
2. What ultimatum does Gloria give Robbie in the beginning of “Robbie”? How does he respond?
3. What breakdown in the Three Laws of Robotics is indicated in “Runaround”?
4. Where are Donovan and Powell in the beginning of “Catch That Rabbit”? What robot are they testing in this story?
5. What theme is introduced in “Runaround”?
6. How does Cutie describe his conclusions of existence to Donovan and Powell as they discover the coming storm in “Reason”?
7. How is the theme of faith explored in “Reason”?
8. How is the robot Cutie described in the beginning of “Reason”? What objective does he state in the beginning of the story?
9. What is implied about the Interviewer in the book’s Introduction? Why is this significant?
10. What do Donovan and Powell observe when they first see Speedy in “Runaround”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the problem presented in the beginning of “Escape!” What does Lanning say caused the breakdown of the computer at Consolidated Robots? How is this conflict to be resolved? Who will be involved in the solution?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the setting of New York in the year 2057. How has robot development evolved in Asimov’s futuristic world? Given that Asimov wrote the book in 1950, what do you make of his vision of the future? Is it realistic?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of “Catch That Rabbit.” In what year does the story begin? Where are Powell and Donovan stationed in this story? How do they feel about the setting and their objectives?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)