|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is Mrs. Jefferson's hair in "The Fourth of July"?
2. Where is the shoe store in Pat Parker's story "Shoes"?
3. Lois Phillips Hudson believes that the fear of ________ steals women's creative energy.
4. What does Lillian Kelly use to help her cope with the pain of being molested?
5. Naomi Schwartz is abandoned by her _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the main thing Lois Phillips Hudson laments in her essay "Why Aren't There More Creative Women""?
2. What were the effects of several occurrences of sexual abuse on Miriam Monasch when she was younger?
3. What happened to Lillian Kelly and how did she handle the pain that followed?
4. What further indignity does Billie Holiday suffer after nearly being raped?
5. What happens in "The Fourth of July"?
6. What did the priest's unwanted kiss cost Beverly Sky in "A Priest Kiss"?
7. Why does Jana Vincenti's mother want to help her deal with the pain of the rape?
8. Under what circumstances does Billie Holiday end up in a bedroom with the man who rapes her?
9. How is Lois Phillips Hudson molested in "Why Aren't There More Creative Women?"
10. What two incidents with the priest did Beverly Sky have conflicting feelings about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the allegorical implications of "A Totally White World." Compare the experience of Hummy to those of Maya Angelou and Billie Holiday.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss some of the things that these women lost, sometimes even through the next generation, as a result of childhood abuse.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss three pieces in the anthology in terms of the imagery used and how imagery impacts both the literary and thematic aspects of the work.
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)