|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Jade Gates focus on in "And Now"?
2. What form is the poem "First Time: 1950" written in?
3. How old is Ann Simonton in the story "Trophy Girl"?
4. What color is the bedroom of Naomi Schwartz's parents?
5. What is the name of the man who wins both races in "Trophy Girl"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Honor Moore's childhood like?
2. What analogy does Lillian Kelly use to describe how the pain of the molestation affected her life?
3. Why is the idea of innocence important to Jake Gates in "And Now"?
4. Why did Karen Asherah not tell her mother about Daddy Kanagy's unwanted touches?
5. What happens to the little girl in Martha Roger's story "Street Fair"?
6. What happens to Pat Parker in her story "Shoes"?
7. Who molests Honor Moore?
8. What is the main thing Lois Phillips Hudson laments in her essay "Why Aren't There More Creative Women""?
9. Who is Patsy in the poem "Peaches of My Childhood"?
10. Who were the Kanagys to Karen Asherah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did these experiences serve as a lens for both how these women saw the world and themselves? What did these women gain from these experiences?
Essay Topic 2
According to Ellen Bass in the Introduction, why is there such a stigma associated with childhood sexual abuse? Why does Bass contend that openly discussing sexual abuse will help diminish this stigma and perhaps even the frequency with which the abuse is perpetrated? Do you agree or disagree?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the more brutal stories of abuse in "It Began for Me" and "A Totally White World" in terms of tone and thematic content.
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)