|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henri wonder about John on Halloween night?
2. What does Henri give John?
3. What is Henri's position in regard to John?
4. Who is wearing a Superman cape?
5. How must the "Numbers" be eliminated?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John explain Henri's disappearance?
2. What does John ask Henri about in the wake of the incident at school when John's hand glows?
3. Who waves and then comes over to talk with John and Henri at the parade, and what does she do when John and Mark start taunting each other?
4. What does Henri say to John when John goes outside to find Henri when Sarah is over there?
5. What happens when Henri hands John a Loric crystal?
6. What has Henri been doing all night?
7. What do John and Sarah discuss in home economics class?
8. Why is John pleased about his home economics class, and how does he get his phone back?
9. What do Sam, John and Henri talk about at the Halloween parade and how does Sam shock the other two?
10. What happens after the students get on the tractor and it pulls into the woods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss I Am Number Four based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if I Am Number Four is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider I Am Number Four a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think I Am Number Four is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as I Am Number Four help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading I Am Number Four? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in I Am Number Four to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
This section contains 1,155 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)