|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John notice is missing when he gets home?
2. How is Bernie Kosar when John gets home from Sarah's house?
3. What does Sarah do when Mark and his gang begin to taunt John?
4. What does Number Four begin to call himself?
5. What publication does Sam cite for his source of information?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Sarah's camera and why?
2. What happens after the students get on the tractor and it pulls into the woods?
3. Why does John go over to Sam's house and what happens there?
4. Why does Sam run over to John's house and what does John tell Sam?
5. What does Henri tell John about his newly-emerged Legacy, and is John entirely successful in doing what Henri tells him?
6. What do John and Sarah discuss in home economics class?
7. How does John explain Henri's disappearance?
8. What happens when Henri hands John a Loric crystal?
9. What does John say he needs and how does Sam respond?
10. What does John see in the vision facilitated by the Loric crystal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think I Am Number Four is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in I Am Number Four. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in I Am Number Four. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in I Am Number Four. Consider the death of Lorien as a type of death and possibly John having to keep moving as small deaths in his life.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss I Am Number Four based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if I Am Number Four is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider I Am Number Four a successful novel? What about young teens?
This section contains 1,201 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)