|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henri give John?
2. What does Sarah do when Mark and his gang begin to taunt John?
3. With whom does Mrs. Benshoff pair John in Home Economics class?
4. What do the two boys find along Richland Avenue?
5. What is going on with Number Three?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sam run over to John's house and what does John tell Sam?
2. What happens when Henri hands John a Loric crystal?
3. Why does John go over to Sam's house and what happens there?
4. Why is John pleased about his home economics class, and how does he get his phone back?
5. What option does John give the young men and what happens after they men choose?
6. When does John receive his third ring and what does it mean?
7. What happens to Sarah's camera and why?
8. What happens after the students get on the tractor and it pulls into the woods?
9. What do Sam, John and Henri talk about at the Halloween parade and how does Sam shock the other two?
10. What does Henri do when he observes John's hands when he picks him up at school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
I Am Number Four belongs to the science fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the science fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a science fiction and a historical novel?
Essay Topic 2
He calls Sam and tells him that something is wrong and he needs his help. Sam says he'll be right there. Sam arrives twenty-five minutes later, streaked with sweat. John tells Sam that he thinks Henri has been captured. Sam grins at first, but the look on John's face changes his demeanor quickly. John explains that Henri tracked the writer of one of the articles in "They Walk Among Us" and drove there earlier that day. John is convinced that something bad has happened, but Sam doesn't understand. John tells him that Henri loves the alien and conspiracy theories just like Sam does, and John believes the people he went to see are holding him hostage. It is the only thing that explains his lack of contact all day. John tells Sam he needs to get to Athens. Sam immediately offers his father's truck, still parked in the garage where it has sat since his father's disappearance eight years earlier. Neither has a license but Sam points out that if Henri is really in trouble, it doesn't matter. Five minutes later, John is ready to go.
1. Discuss what you think is the foundation of a friendship between John and Sam based on Sam's response to John's call. Use examples from your life and the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think it is wise of John and Sam to drive to Athens in search of Henri? Why or why not? Use examples from your life and the book to support your answer.
3. Do you think it is morally wrong of John to involve Sam, a human from Earth, into his alien difficulties? Why or why not? Use examples from your life and the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in I Am Number Four.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of I Am Number Four. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of I Am Number Four. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,341 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)