|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henri do to get John used to the heat from John's talent?
2. How is Bernie Kosar when John gets home from Sarah's house?
3. Why can't the Mogadorians harm the female Number whose location they know?
4. What does John's hand do on his first day of school?
5. For what is Henri searching the Internet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What option does John give the young men and what happens after they men choose?
2. What is wrong with Sam and John's lockers and what is Sam reading?
3. What do John and Sarah discuss in home economics class?
4. How does John explain Henri's disappearance?
5. Why does John have difficulty blending in at his new school?
6. Who waves and then comes over to talk with John and Henri at the parade, and what does she do when John and Mark start taunting each other?
7. What does Henri say to John when John goes outside to find Henri when Sarah is over there?
8. What happens after the students get on the tractor and it pulls into the woods?
9. Why does John run after Sarah and what do they discuss?
10. What does John see in the vision facilitated by the Loric crystal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Pittacus Lore.
2. What in Lore's background may have helped him in writing I Am Number Four? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
John is a spectator at the last battle on Lorien. He sees the Mogadore land and hears Henri tell him that carelessness is the reason they were defeated. Though as many Mogadorians are being killed as Loric, the Loriens do not have the numbers necessary to defeat them. A scratching at the door interrupts them, and on the other side is the same beagle that John had seen at school the previous day. Henri reaches down to pet him, and wagging his tail, he pushes past him and into the house. His collar identifies him as Bernie Kosar. Henri tells John that the Mogadorians are on Earth as well but they are different. They tend to be gregarious and though they have certain powers, they stand out in small towns but thrive in cities where they can be anonymous. Henri believes they are seeking to take Earth as their new home.
1. Putting yourself in John's place and pretending you are watching the same situation happening to Earth, describe how you feel and think at the moment. Use examples from your life and the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss ways in which what is known of the carelessness that lost Lorein to the Mogadore, is the same type of carelessness that could occur on Earth because of how human societies interact in the present day. what is known of
3. The Mogadorians came to Lorien because they destroyed their own planet. Discuss ways in which the Mogadorians' behavior and consequences could occur on earth and what symptoms are already seen on Earth. Use examples from your life and the book to support your answer.
4. Discuss, in depth, what you believe needs to happen on Earth to avoid the same fate as the Mogadorians. Use examples from your life and the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in I Am Number Four.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of I Am Number Four. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of I Am Number Four. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,351 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)