|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does John see Sam and they laugh about the previous day?
2. About what does John lie to Henri?
3. What does John do with his hands to the things that are restraining Sam?
4. How must the "Numbers" be eliminated?
5. What does Henri think will help John develop his legacy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John explain Henri's disappearance?
2. When does John receive his third ring and what does it mean?
3. Why is John pleased about his home economics class, and how does he get his phone back?
4. What does Henri decide to do before he and John go over to Sarah's house for Thanksgiving dinner and what happens to make John go on to Sarah's house alone?
5. What does John see in the vision facilitated by the Loric crystal?
6. Describe John's encounter with some of Mark's friends.
7. What does Number Four have to do when the novel opens?
8. What are the "rules" of engagement between Gardes and the Mogadorians?
9. What happens after the students get on the tractor and it pulls into the woods?
10. What happens when Henri hands John a Loric crystal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an important part of what makes I Am Number Four interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze John. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Sarah. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Henri. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in I Am Number Four? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in I Am Number Four including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from I Am Number Four and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
He calls Sam and tells him that something is wrong and he needs his help. Sam says he'll be right there. Sam arrives twenty-five minutes later, streaked with sweat. John tells Sam that he thinks Henri has been captured. Sam grins at first, but the look on John's face changes his demeanor quickly. John explains that Henri tracked the writer of one of the articles in "They Walk Among Us" and drove there earlier that day. John is convinced that something bad has happened, but Sam doesn't understand. John tells him that Henri loves the alien and conspiracy theories just like Sam does, and John believes the people he went to see are holding him hostage. It is the only thing that explains his lack of contact all day. John tells Sam he needs to get to Athens. Sam immediately offers his father's truck, still parked in the garage where it has sat since his father's disappearance eight years earlier. Neither has a license but Sam points out that if Henri is really in trouble, it doesn't matter. Five minutes later, John is ready to go.
1. Discuss what you think is the foundation of a friendship between John and Sam based on Sam's response to John's call. Use examples from your life and the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think it is wise of John and Sam to drive to Athens in search of Henri? Why or why not? Use examples from your life and the book to support your answer.
3. Do you think it is morally wrong of John to involve Sam, a human from Earth, into his alien difficulties? Why or why not? Use examples from your life and the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,521 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)