|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What email does Henri send?
2. What do the two boys find along Richland Avenue?
3. Where is Number Four settling?
4. What has Number Four just received?
5. What does Sam think happened to his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is wrong with Sam and John's lockers and what is Sam reading?
2. What do John and Sarah discuss in home economics class?
3. What option does John give the young men and what happens after they men choose?
4. What does Henri say to John when John goes outside to find Henri when Sarah is over there?
5. What does John see in the vision facilitated by the Loric crystal?
6. What happens to Sarah's camera and why?
7. Why does John run after Sarah and what do they discuss?
8. Why does Sam run over to John's house and what does John tell Sam?
9. What are the "rules" of engagement between Gardes and the Mogadorians?
10. When does John receive his third ring and what does it mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
He calls Sam and tells him that something is wrong and he needs his help. Sam says he'll be right there. Sam arrives twenty-five minutes later, streaked with sweat. John tells Sam that he thinks Henri has been captured. Sam grins at first, but the look on John's face changes his demeanor quickly. John explains that Henri tracked the writer of one of the articles in "They Walk Among Us" and drove there earlier that day. John is convinced that something bad has happened, but Sam doesn't understand. John tells him that Henri loves the alien and conspiracy theories just like Sam does, and John believes the people he went to see are holding him hostage. It is the only thing that explains his lack of contact all day. John tells Sam he needs to get to Athens. Sam immediately offers his father's truck, still parked in the garage where it has sat since his father's disappearance eight years earlier. Neither has a license but Sam points out that if Henri is really in trouble, it doesn't matter. Five minutes later, John is ready to go.
1. Discuss what you think is the foundation of a friendship between John and Sam based on Sam's response to John's call. Use examples from your life and the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think it is wise of John and Sam to drive to Athens in search of Henri? Why or why not? Use examples from your life and the book to support your answer.
3. Do you think it is morally wrong of John to involve Sam, a human from Earth, into his alien difficulties? Why or why not? Use examples from your life and the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
I Am Number Four belongs to the science fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the science fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a science fiction and a historical novel?
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of John and Mark. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of John and Henri. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in I Am Number Four help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 1,261 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)