|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does John introduce Henri?
2. How is Henri when John finds him?
3. Where do Mogadorians tend to thrive on Earth?
4. What does Henri think will help John develop his legacy?
5. What does John notice is missing when he gets home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does John go over to Sam's house and what happens there?
2. How does Sam react to seeing John use his Legacy?
3. Describe John's encounter with some of Mark's friends.
4. What happens after John is called out of Home Economics class?
5. What is wrong with Sam and John's lockers and what is Sam reading?
6. What option does John give the young men and what happens after they men choose?
7. Why does Henri increase John's exercise regimen?
8. Why does John run after Sarah and what do they discuss?
9. What follow-up does Henri mention to John when he picks John up after the first day back to school?
10. Why does Henri not think the beings John sees in his vision survived?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in I Am Number Four. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Lore chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Lore chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Lore's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Lore use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 2
He calls Sam and tells him that something is wrong and he needs his help. Sam says he'll be right there. Sam arrives twenty-five minutes later, streaked with sweat. John tells Sam that he thinks Henri has been captured. Sam grins at first, but the look on John's face changes his demeanor quickly. John explains that Henri tracked the writer of one of the articles in "They Walk Among Us" and drove there earlier that day. John is convinced that something bad has happened, but Sam doesn't understand. John tells him that Henri loves the alien and conspiracy theories just like Sam does, and John believes the people he went to see are holding him hostage. It is the only thing that explains his lack of contact all day. John tells Sam he needs to get to Athens. Sam immediately offers his father's truck, still parked in the garage where it has sat since his father's disappearance eight years earlier. Neither has a license but Sam points out that if Henri is really in trouble, it doesn't matter. Five minutes later, John is ready to go.
1. Discuss what you think is the foundation of a friendship between John and Sam based on Sam's response to John's call. Use examples from your life and the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think it is wise of John and Sam to drive to Athens in search of Henri? Why or why not? Use examples from your life and the book to support your answer.
3. Do you think it is morally wrong of John to involve Sam, a human from Earth, into his alien difficulties? Why or why not? Use examples from your life and the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in I Am Number Four.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of I Am Number Four. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of I Am Number Four. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 3,771 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)