Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does John find himself as Henri is training him?
2. What does John yell when he and Sam are close to their destination?
3. Where is Number Four settling?
4. What does John tell Sam that Henri loves?
5. What does Henri give John?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to John in the woods before his friends arrive?
2. Why does Henri not think the beings John sees in his vision survived?
3. What does Number Four have to do when the novel opens?
4. What does John learn with the aid of fire and how does he learn a painful lesson?
5. What does John do without thinking when he is in Mr. Harris' office?
6. What do Sarah, John and Henri do during the Christmas break?
7. What follow-up does Henri mention to John when he picks John up after the first day back to school?
8. How do John's friends help him?
9. What does John ask Henri about in the wake of the incident at school when John's hand glows?
10. What does Six first believe about their situation at the school, what does she realize, what happens when she kills a scout and who arrives when she and John are talking?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in I Am Number Four. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in I Am Number Four. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in I Am Number Four. Consider the death of Lorien as a type of death and possibly John having to keep moving as small deaths in his life.
Essay Topic 2
I Am Number Four belongs to the science fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the science fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a science fiction and a historical novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of I Am Number Four, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in I Am Number Four. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,214 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)