|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does John find himself as Henri is training him?
2. What does John yell when he and Sam are close to their destination?
3. Where is Number Four settling?
4. What does John tell Sam that Henri loves?
5. What does Henri give John?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to John in the woods before his friends arrive?
2. Why does Henri not think the beings John sees in his vision survived?
3. What does Number Four have to do when the novel opens?
4. What does John learn with the aid of fire and how does he learn a painful lesson?
5. What does John do without thinking when he is in Mr. Harris' office?
6. What do Sarah, John and Henri do during the Christmas break?
7. What follow-up does Henri mention to John when he picks John up after the first day back to school?
8. How do John's friends help him?
9. What does John ask Henri about in the wake of the incident at school when John's hand glows?
10. What does Six first believe about their situation at the school, what does she realize, what happens when she kills a scout and who arrives when she and John are talking?
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of John and Mark. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of John and Henri. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in I Am Number Four help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in I Am Number Four? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in I Am Number Four including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from I Am Number Four and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
I Am Number Four belongs to the science fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the science fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a science fiction and a historical novel?
This section contains 3,865 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)