|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with John that makes Henri have to help him to the car?
2. What is required to open John's inheritance?
3. With whom does Mrs. Benshoff pair John in Home Economics class?
4. What do the "Numbers" carry when separated from each other?
5. How long has Sam's father been gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Henri hands John a Loric crystal?
2. What does Henri tell John about his newly-emerged Legacy, and is John entirely successful in doing what Henri tells him?
3. What happens when John goes inside the house where Henri is being held?
4. What does John say he needs and how does Sam respond?
5. What is wrong with Sam and John's lockers and what is Sam reading?
6. What happens to Sarah's camera and why?
7. What does Henri do when he observes John's hands when he picks him up at school?
8. Why does Henri increase John's exercise regimen?
9. What do Sam, John and Henri talk about at the Halloween parade and how does Sam shock the other two?
10. Why does John run after Sarah and what do they discuss?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in I Am Number Four. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Lore chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Lore chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Lore's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Lore use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 2
I Am Number Four belongs to the science fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the science fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a science fiction and a historical novel?
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of interesting questions raised by I Am Number Four. Questions that Lore most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Lore' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Lore' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Lore and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
This section contains 1,254 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)