|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is about to happen as Number Four is settling in?
2. What does John do about Mark and his friends?
3. What is sitting on the table when John and Henri arrive home?
4. What happens when Sarah tries to photograph John with her family?
5. From where did the pamphlets come about aliens?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does John receive his third ring and what does it mean?
2. What does Henri tell John about his newly-emerged Legacy, and is John entirely successful in doing what Henri tells him?
3. What do John and Sarah discuss in home economics class?
4. What happens after the students get on the tractor and it pulls into the woods?
5. What option does John give the young men and what happens after they men choose?
6. Why does John run after Sarah and what do they discuss?
7. What are the "rules" of engagement between Gardes and the Mogadorians?
8. What does Henri say to John when John goes outside to find Henri when Sarah is over there?
9. What happens when John goes inside the house where Henri is being held?
10. What is wrong with Sam and John's lockers and what is Sam reading?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss I Am Number Four based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if I Am Number Four is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider I Am Number Four a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in I Am Number Four? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in I Am Number Four including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from I Am Number Four and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in I Am Number Four. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in I Am Number Four. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in I Am Number Four. Consider the death of Lorien as a type of death and possibly John having to keep moving as small deaths in his life.
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)