|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Henri told when he calls the people who wrote the pamphlets?
2. What does John do about Mark and his friends?
3. What does Sarah do for the first time?
4. What is Henri's job concerning Number Four?
5. What does John tell Sam that Henri loves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Henri hands John a Loric crystal?
2. What happens when John goes inside the house where Henri is being held?
3. What does Henri decide to do before he and John go over to Sarah's house for Thanksgiving dinner and what happens to make John go on to Sarah's house alone?
4. What do Sam, John and Henri talk about at the Halloween parade and how does Sam shock the other two?
5. Why does John have difficulty blending in at his new school?
6. Why does Sam run over to John's house and what does John tell Sam?
7. What does John ask Henri about in the wake of the incident at school when John's hand glows?
8. What does John see in the vision facilitated by the Loric crystal?
9. Who waves and then comes over to talk with John and Henri at the parade, and what does she do when John and Mark start taunting each other?
10. Why is John pleased about his home economics class, and how does he get his phone back?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as I Am Number Four help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading I Am Number Four? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in I Am Number Four to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in I Am Number Four. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Lore chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Lore chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Lore's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Lore use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think I Am Number Four is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 1,477 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)