|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is required to open John's inheritance?
2. What does Henri believe about the Mogadorians' ambition concerning Earth?
3. Where do Mogadorians tend to thrive on Earth?
4. What does Henri do to get John used to the heat from John's talent?
5. What does John tell Sam when John calls him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Henri been doing all night?
2. What does John ask Henri about in the wake of the incident at school when John's hand glows?
3. What is wrong with Sam and John's lockers and what is Sam reading?
4. What happens after the students get on the tractor and it pulls into the woods?
5. Why does John run after Sarah and what do they discuss?
6. Why does John go over to Sam's house and what happens there?
7. Why does Henri increase John's exercise regimen?
8. How does John explain Henri's disappearance?
9. Why is John pleased about his home economics class, and how does he get his phone back?
10. What do Sam, John and Henri talk about at the Halloween parade and how does Sam shock the other two?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in I Am Number Four.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of I Am Number Four. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of I Am Number Four. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of I Am Number Four and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why I Am Number Four is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of John and Mark. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of John and Henri. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in I Am Number Four help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 1,192 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)