|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can Hadley do?
2. Towards whom does Kevin charge?
3. Who is restraining Sam?
4. What does Henri give John?
5. What does Sarah realize she needs to sell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does John say he needs and how does Sam respond?
2. Why is John pleased about his home economics class, and how does he get his phone back?
3. Why does John go over to Sam's house and what happens there?
4. What happens when John goes inside the house where Henri is being held?
5. What do John and Sarah discuss in home economics class?
6. What does Henri tell John about his newly-emerged Legacy, and is John entirely successful in doing what Henri tells him?
7. What are the "rules" of engagement between Gardes and the Mogadorians?
8. How does John explain Henri's disappearance?
9. Describe John's encounter with some of Mark's friends.
10. Why does John have difficulty blending in at his new school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John is a spectator at the last battle on Lorien. He sees the Mogadore land and hears Henri tell him that carelessness is the reason they were defeated. Though as many Mogadorians are being killed as Loric, the Loriens do not have the numbers necessary to defeat them. A scratching at the door interrupts them, and on the other side is the same beagle that John had seen at school the previous day. Henri reaches down to pet him, and wagging his tail, he pushes past him and into the house. His collar identifies him as Bernie Kosar. Henri tells John that the Mogadorians are on Earth as well but they are different. They tend to be gregarious and though they have certain powers, they stand out in small towns but thrive in cities where they can be anonymous. Henri believes they are seeking to take Earth as their new home.
1. Putting yourself in John's place and pretending you are watching the same situation happening to Earth, describe how you feel and think at the moment. Use examples from your life and the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss ways in which what is known of the carelessness that lost Lorein to the Mogadore, is the same type of carelessness that could occur on Earth because of how human societies interact in the present day. what is known of
3. The Mogadorians came to Lorien because they destroyed their own planet. Discuss ways in which the Mogadorians' behavior and consequences could occur on earth and what symptoms are already seen on Earth. Use examples from your life and the book to support your answer.
4. Discuss, in depth, what you believe needs to happen on Earth to avoid the same fate as the Mogadorians. Use examples from your life and the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in I Am Number Four.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of I Am Number Four. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of I Am Number Four. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think I Am Number Four is? Explain your response.
This section contains 1,456 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)