|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where did the pamphlets come about aliens?
2. What does John yell when he and Sam are close to their destination?
3. Who goes with Henri and John to the Halloween parade?
4. What does Sarah invite Henri and John to do?
5. What does John throw as far away as he can?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does John go over to Sam's house and what happens there?
2. What does Henri say to John when John goes outside to find Henri when Sarah is over there?
3. What does John ask Henri about in the wake of the incident at school when John's hand glows?
4. What has Henri been doing all night?
5. What option does John give the young men and what happens after they men choose?
6. Who waves and then comes over to talk with John and Henri at the parade, and what does she do when John and Mark start taunting each other?
7. What does Henri do when he observes John's hands when he picks him up at school?
8. Why does Sam run over to John's house and what does John tell Sam?
9. Why does Henri increase John's exercise regimen?
10. What happens when Henri hands John a Loric crystal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in I Am Number Four.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of I Am Number Four. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of I Am Number Four. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as I Am Number Four help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading I Am Number Four? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in I Am Number Four to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 3
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of I Am Number Four and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why I Am Number Four is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)