|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Mrs. Benshoff pair John in Home Economics class?
2. What does John throw as far away as he can?
3. What does Henri do to get John used to the heat from John's talent?
4. About what does John lie to Henri?
5. Why is Henri pushing John harder than usual in his training?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John explain Henri's disappearance?
2. What does John say he needs and how does Sam respond?
3. What happens when Henri hands John a Loric crystal?
4. What happens when John goes inside the house where Henri is being held?
5. Describe John's encounter with some of Mark's friends.
6. Who waves and then comes over to talk with John and Henri at the parade, and what does she do when John and Mark start taunting each other?
7. What does John ask Henri about in the wake of the incident at school when John's hand glows?
8. Why does John go over to Sam's house and what happens there?
9. What are the "rules" of engagement between Gardes and the Mogadorians?
10. What do John and Sarah discuss in home economics class?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Pittacus Lore.
2. What in Lore's background may have helped him in writing I Am Number Four? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in I Am Number Four.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of I Am Number Four. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of I Am Number Four. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss I Am Number Four based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if I Am Number Four is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider I Am Number Four a successful novel? What about young teens?
This section contains 1,284 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)