|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is required to open John's inheritance?
2. What is Kevin wearing as he steps out?
3. How does Sam react at first?
4. How long has Sam's father been gone?
5. What does John tell Sam that Henri was doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Henri increase John's exercise regimen?
2. What happens when John goes inside the house where Henri is being held?
3. What do Sam, John and Henri talk about at the Halloween parade and how does Sam shock the other two?
4. What does Henri say to John when John goes outside to find Henri when Sarah is over there?
5. What does Henri tell John about his newly-emerged Legacy, and is John entirely successful in doing what Henri tells him?
6. Why is John pleased about his home economics class, and how does he get his phone back?
7. Describe John's encounter with some of Mark's friends.
8. Why does John go over to Sam's house and what happens there?
9. What happens when Henri hands John a Loric crystal?
10. What has Henri been doing all night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of John and Mark. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of John and Henri. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in I Am Number Four help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss I Am Number Four based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if I Am Number Four is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider I Am Number Four a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in I Am Number Four.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of I Am Number Four. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of I Am Number Four. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,250 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)