|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John throw as far away as he can?
2. What does John tell Sam when John calls him?
3. How does Sam react at first?
4. What does John find in his locker the next day?
5. What does John's hand do on his first day of school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does John see Henri doing a couple days later after the flame training session?
2. How does Sam react to seeing John use his Legacy?
3. How do John, Six and Bernie end up in a motel and what do they do with Henri's remains?
4. What do the Mogadarians do to secure the school, what does Six do and what does she think about the scouts?
5. What does Number Four have to do when the novel opens?
6. How do John's friends help him?
7. What happens after John is called out of Home Economics class?
8. Why does John run after Sarah and what do they discuss?
9. Why does Henri not think the beings John sees in his vision survived?
10. How do Henri, John and Number Six get out of the school building and where do they go and who attacks them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in I Am Number Four. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in I Am Number Four. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in I Am Number Four. Consider the death of Lorien as a type of death and possibly John having to keep moving as small deaths in his life.
Essay Topic 2
I Am Number Four belongs to the science fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the science fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a science fiction and a historical novel?
Essay Topic 3
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as I Am Number Four help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading I Am Number Four? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in I Am Number Four to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
This section contains 3,917 words
(approx. 14 pages at 300 words per page)