|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Number Four just received?
2. What does John notice is missing when he gets home?
3. What does John do after Mark walks off?
4. What does John throw as far away as he can?
5. From where did the pamphlets come about aliens?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does John say he needs and how does Sam respond?
2. What has Henri been doing all night?
3. What do John and Sarah discuss in home economics class?
4. Who waves and then comes over to talk with John and Henri at the parade, and what does she do when John and Mark start taunting each other?
5. Why does Sam run over to John's house and what does John tell Sam?
6. What does John see in the vision facilitated by the Loric crystal?
7. How does John explain Henri's disappearance?
8. What option does John give the young men and what happens after they men choose?
9. What is wrong with Sam and John's lockers and what is Sam reading?
10. What does Number Four have to do when the novel opens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
I Am Number Four belongs to the science fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the science fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a science fiction and a historical novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in I Am Number Four.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of I Am Number Four. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of I Am Number Four. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in I Am Number Four? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in I Am Number Four including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from I Am Number Four and your own live to support your opinion.
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)