|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hoyt want to take Charlotte?
2. What does Adam suggest when they get to Saint Ray house?
3. Who beats up the bodyguard in the Grove?
4. After Adam leaves Saint Ray house, how does Charlotte feel about the way she treated him?
5. In the beginning of Chapter 13, what does Charlotte wake up to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Charlotte using a fake ID to get into a bar?
2. When Charlotte first meets her roommate, what difference is apparent?
3. How does Charlotte feel about Beverly's attitude toward her?
4. How does Hoyt come to receive a partial scholarship based on his "deserving poor" status?
5. In the game against Cincinnati, why is Jojo's game off?
6. As Hoyt looks at himself in the mirror, how does he see himself?
7. Why were many fans excited to watch the pick-up basketball game?
8. What is Adam's story idea that he pitches for Dupont's alternative paper "The Wave"?
9. What is Mr. Quat's reaction to the paper handed in by Jojo?
10. How does Charlotte feel during lunch with Jojo in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The decline of academia is a major theme in this book. Provide a list of all examples of this theme. For each example, explain why it represents the decline of academia.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jojo's need to have the approval of the black players. What does Jojo assume the coaches think about the black players? Does Jojo feel equal to the black players? Why or why not? Provide examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Charlotte's concern for what others think of her. What does this obsession lead her to do? What problems does this obsession cause between the characters Charlotte interacts with as well as her own identity?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)