|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the traveler in #128 return to build?
2. What happens to Jose Arcadio Segundo?
3. Where is Meme take by Fernanda del Carpio?
4. Who is the traveler that prowls around Macondo, investigating insects and bananas?
5. What describes Fernanda del Carpio's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the woman that Aureliano Segundo finally chooses?
2. What happens when Amaranta Ursula delivers her child?
3. What devastation does the five-year-long event cause?
4. Who is the stranger who arrives at the door?
5. What is the secret that Aureliano Amador doesn't know about Amaranta Ursula?
6. When Amaranta Ursula returns to Macondo, who does she bring with her?
7. Who is Aureliano Segundo trying to placate in his life?
8. What is Jose Arcadio Segundo doing as he's locked in the laboratory?
9. What are some of the signs that Macondo is becoming more modern?
10. Who is helping to pay for the essentials (e.g., food) for Fernanda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The love that is described in this novel is a bit different from most readers' traditional ideas about love. It seems the family is quite hindered by their lack of ability to love. Describe three reasons why the Buendia family might have had such a hard time creating love in their lives.
Essay Topic 2
How does the banana factory affect the town? Give specific examples as to how the factory affects the town structure, the families, the women, the men, and the progress of Macondo.
Essay Topic 3
Why is the parchment so important for the characters in the book? What makes this parchment something important to the family? What happens when the parchment is finally deciphered? Who is the one who deciphers it? Why is it so important that this character be the one who deciphers the parchment?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)