|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dies on Good Friday?
2. Which woman assumes she would be royalty?
3. Who does Meme meet and begin to have an affair with?
4. Who decides never to speak again as a result of her loss?
5. What happens to Jose Arcadio Segundo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the woman that Aureliano Segundo finally chooses?
2. Who is the stranger who arrives at the door?
3. What happens when Amaranta Ursula delivers her child?
4. What does Jose Arcadio leave home to do?
5. When Amaranta Ursula returns to Macondo, who does she bring with her?
6. What continues to occur for five long years in Macondo?
7. Who is Aureliano Segundo trying to placate in his life?
8. When does Amaranta believe she will die?
9. What is Jose Arcadio Segundo doing as he's locked in the laboratory?
10. What is the secret that Aureliano Amador doesn't know about Amaranta Ursula?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A running theme in this novel is the idea of fantasy. Many characters do things and say things that aren't necessarily grounded in fact. Choose three examples of how the fantasy elements in this story affect the actions and the outcomes of the story.
Essay Topic 2
Jose Arcadio Buendia and Ursula do not want to consummate their marriage. Why not? Are their fears practical? Why do they choose to consummate their marriage anyway?
Essay Topic 3
Why is the parchment so important for the characters in the book? What makes this parchment something important to the family? What happens when the parchment is finally deciphered? Who is the one who deciphers it? Why is it so important that this character be the one who deciphers the parchment?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)