|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people are massacred?
2. What does Amaranta see a vision of?
3. Who begins to work at decoding the Melqunades manuscript?
4. What has been happening in the town for nearly five years?
5. After many days of consumption, who seems to be dying, yet recovers completely?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Aureliano Segundo trying to placate in his life?
2. Who is the stranger who arrives at the door?
3. When does Amaranta believe she will die?
4. What is Jose Arcadio Segundo doing as he's locked in the laboratory?
5. What are some of the signs that Macondo is becoming more modern?
6. Why does Santa Sofia de la Piedad just walk away one day?
7. What does the banana company do when people begin to complain of unfair working conditions?
8. What devastation does the five-year-long event cause?
9. What continues to occur for five long years in Macondo?
10. Who is helping to pay for the essentials (e.g., food) for Fernanda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the banana factory affect the town? Give specific examples as to how the factory affects the town structure, the families, the women, the men, and the progress of Macondo.
Essay Topic 2
The town of Macondo changes throughout the course of the novel - describe the life cycle of this town from its beginnings, changes, and to its eventual end. Why do these changes make sense for the novel and for the town itself?
Essay Topic 3
Some readers find it confusing that this novel isn't told in chronological order. But could the story work any other way? Why does the refusal to stick to a straight timeline help the story be more accessible and more entertaining for the reader? Or would a chronological timeline be a stronger choice?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)