|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who likes to bathe a lot and walk around nude?
2. Who wants to see better working conditions at the banana factory?
3. What happens when Amaranta Ursula delivers her boy?
4. What gets in the way of Amaranta's restoration of the house?
5. What happens to Meme's lover as mentioned in #141?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Meme do after her lover Mauricio Babilonia is shot and killed?
2. When does Amaranta believe she will die?
3. What are some of the signs that Macondo is becoming more modern?
4. Why does Meme play the clavichord?
5. What continues to occur for five long years in Macondo?
6. What happens when Amaranta Ursula delivers her child?
7. What does Aureliano Segundo do because Fernanda is impossible to live with?
8. Who is the stranger who arrives at the door?
9. What does the banana company do when people begin to complain of unfair working conditions?
10. When the child is missing from his crib, what has happened to the child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the story progresses, Macondo begins to have more new technology than it did in the beginning. How does this new technology affect everyday life in the town? Does technology affect the town at all? List specific examples of either side as well as examples of the different pieces of technology that were introduced.
Essay Topic 2
The recurring role of incest in this novel creates a bit of a moral quandary for the reader, but the characters in the story don't seem to see it that way. How is their solitary location increasing their chances of incest? Why is incest a constant threat to their family? What effects does incest have on the family ? Give at least three consequences, describing exactly how the act of incest affects those involved as well as those around them.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the climax of the banana factor massacre. What does this have to say about organized business? What does this have to say about someone coming into an isolated setting? Is this a metaphor for a larger issue that the family has to contend with?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)