|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Amaranta see a vision of?
2. Who does not like Fernanda del Carpio?
3. Whose wealth washes away?
4. Which woman assumes she would be royalty?
5. What happens to Remedios the Beauty when she is out doing the laundry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Aureliano Segundo trying to placate in his life?
2. What devastation does the five-year-long event cause?
3. What is Jose Arcadio Segundo doing as he's locked in the laboratory?
4. What happens when Amaranta Ursula delivers her child?
5. What does Aureliano Segundo do because Fernanda is impossible to live with?
6. Why does Meme play the clavichord?
7. When the child is missing from his crib, what has happened to the child?
8. What continues to occur for five long years in Macondo?
9. What does Jose Arcadio leave home to do?
10. What are some of the signs that Macondo is becoming more modern?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The recurring role of incest in this novel creates a bit of a moral quandary for the reader, but the characters in the story don't seem to see it that way. How is their solitary location increasing their chances of incest? Why is incest a constant threat to their family? What effects does incest have on the family ? Give at least three consequences, describing exactly how the act of incest affects those involved as well as those around them.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the characters in this book take on lovers to help them with their loneliness, it seems. Describe the necessity of Pilar, Remedios the Beauty, Santa Sofia de la Piedad, and other women in the novel. What do they give to the lovers they take? What do these relationships take away from those who are in them?
Essay Topic 3
From the very beginning of this novel, the idea of time is an important theme. Because time seems to be cyclical in nature, it's difficult to tell when events happen - or if they even happen at all. Describe three events in the novel where time seems to affect the memory of the event as well as how time affects those involved in the event: the banana factory massacre, the political turn of events, and the deeds of Colonel Aureliano Buendia.
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)