|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wants his throat slashed when he dies?
2. What is NOT a result of the event in #151?
3. Who decides never to speak again as a result of her loss?
4. Who does Amaranta Ursula return to the house with?
5. How many people are massacred?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the woman that Aureliano Segundo finally chooses?
2. What does the banana company do when people begin to complain of unfair working conditions?
3. When Amaranta Ursula returns to Macondo, who does she bring with her?
4. What does Aureliano Segundo do because Fernanda is impossible to live with?
5. What are some of the odd behaviors of Remedios the Beauty?
6. When the child is missing from his crib, what has happened to the child?
7. What continues to occur for five long years in Macondo?
8. When does Amaranta believe she will die?
9. Why does Santa Sofia de la Piedad just walk away one day?
10. What devastation does the five-year-long event cause?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The town of Macondo changes throughout the course of the novel - describe the life cycle of this town from its beginnings, changes, and to its eventual end. Why do these changes make sense for the novel and for the town itself?
Essay Topic 2
Again and again in the novel, a reader sees characters running away from their problems and running away from danger. List three examples in which this happens in the novel as well as why this choice works or doesn't work for the individual characters. Are the characters running out of self preservation or out of fear? Or is there another reason to run away?
Essay Topic 3
It could be said that the novel is comparable to the Book of Genesis in the Bible. Give some examples of how this could be the case, keeping in mind that Genesis' story begins with the creation of paradise and the eventual downfall and alteration of Paradise because of one person's choice to create the world in the first place. Cite at least four examples of similarities and differences between Genesis and the story of Macondo.
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)