|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Ursula's house at this point of the story?
2. Who does Amaranta Ursula return to the house with?
3. Who does Aureliano meet outside of the home?
4. Who is the traveler that prowls around Macondo, investigating insects and bananas?
5. How many people are massacred?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jose Arcadio Segundo doing as he's locked in the laboratory?
2. When does Amaranta believe she will die?
3. What does the banana company do when people begin to complain of unfair working conditions?
4. What is the secret that Aureliano Amador doesn't know about Amaranta Ursula?
5. What continues to occur for five long years in Macondo?
6. When Amaranta Ursula returns to Macondo, who does she bring with her?
7. What does Jose Arcadio leave home to do?
8. Who is the woman that Aureliano Segundo finally chooses?
9. Why does Santa Sofia de la Piedad just walk away one day?
10. What happens when Amaranta Ursula delivers her child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Government seems to play a significant role in this novel. How does the government positively affect Macondo? How does the government negatively affect Macondo? Give at least two specific examples of each.
Essay Topic 2
The idea of religion is not something that's overlooked in this novel. From the many spiritual advisers to the idea of alternative religions and belief systems, it seems the author is just as interested in creating confusion as he is interested in creating order. What does this novel seem to say about religion in general and its usefulness in family life, home life, and politics?
Essay Topic 3
From the very beginning of this novel, the idea of time is an important theme. Because time seems to be cyclical in nature, it's difficult to tell when events happen - or if they even happen at all. Describe three events in the novel where time seems to affect the memory of the event as well as how time affects those involved in the event: the banana factory massacre, the political turn of events, and the deeds of Colonel Aureliano Buendia.
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)