|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aureliano Segundo do with his wealth?
2. The eldest daughter of Fernanda Del Carpio takes up the __________?
3. What happens when Amaranta Ursula delivers her boy?
4. Who dies during this chapter?
5. What happens to the boy that appeared to be missing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the odd behaviors of Remedios the Beauty?
2. When does Amaranta believe she will die?
3. What happens when Amaranta Ursula delivers her child?
4. What does Aureliano Segundo do because Fernanda is impossible to live with?
5. What continues to occur for five long years in Macondo?
6. Why does Santa Sofia de la Piedad just walk away one day?
7. What devastation does the five-year-long event cause?
8. What is the secret that Aureliano Amador doesn't know about Amaranta Ursula?
9. What are some of the signs that Macondo is becoming more modern?
10. What does the banana company do when people begin to complain of unfair working conditions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters in this book take on lovers to help them with their loneliness, it seems. Describe the necessity of Pilar, Remedios the Beauty, Santa Sofia de la Piedad, and other women in the novel. What do they give to the lovers they take? What do these relationships take away from those who are in them?
Essay Topic 2
Again and again in the novel, a reader sees characters running away from their problems and running away from danger. List three examples in which this happens in the novel as well as why this choice works or doesn't work for the individual characters. Are the characters running out of self preservation or out of fear? Or is there another reason to run away?
Essay Topic 3
From the very beginning of this novel, the idea of time is an important theme. Because time seems to be cyclical in nature, it's difficult to tell when events happen - or if they even happen at all. Describe three events in the novel where time seems to affect the memory of the event as well as how time affects those involved in the event: the banana factory massacre, the political turn of events, and the deeds of Colonel Aureliano Buendia.
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)