|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Amaranta Ursula delivers her boy?
2. Where is Meme take by Fernanda del Carpio?
3. Who does Aureliano meet outside of the home?
4. Why does Amaranta Ursula not realize her heritage?
5. Who leaves home for papal training in Rome?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aureliano Segundo do because Fernanda is impossible to live with?
2. What does the banana company do when people begin to complain of unfair working conditions?
3. When Amaranta Ursula returns to Macondo, who does she bring with her?
4. What does Jose Arcadio leave home to do?
5. What are some of the signs that Macondo is becoming more modern?
6. Who is Aureliano Segundo trying to placate in his life?
7. Why does Santa Sofia de la Piedad just walk away one day?
8. What devastation does the five-year-long event cause?
9. What are some of the odd behaviors of Remedios the Beauty?
10. What does Meme do after her lover Mauricio Babilonia is shot and killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The recurring role of incest in this novel creates a bit of a moral quandary for the reader, but the characters in the story don't seem to see it that way. How is their solitary location increasing their chances of incest? Why is incest a constant threat to their family? What effects does incest have on the family ? Give at least three consequences, describing exactly how the act of incest affects those involved as well as those around them.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the presence of solitude in this story. How does it affect the lives of each generation? How does this solitude affect the physical health of the characters? How does it affect the mental health of the characters? Cite at least two characters as an example of each.
Essay Topic 3
Again and again in the novel, a reader sees characters running away from their problems and running away from danger. List three examples in which this happens in the novel as well as why this choice works or doesn't work for the individual characters. Are the characters running out of self preservation or out of fear? Or is there another reason to run away?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)