|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives the person in #154 a long monologue of grief?
2. What do Meme's skills allows her to do?
3. What happens between Aureliano and Amaranta Ursula?
4. Why does Amaranta Ursula not realize her heritage?
5. Who likes to bathe a lot and walk around nude?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jose Arcadio Segundo doing as he's locked in the laboratory?
2. What does the banana company do when people begin to complain of unfair working conditions?
3. What is the secret that Aureliano Amador doesn't know about Amaranta Ursula?
4. What does Aureliano Segundo do because Fernanda is impossible to live with?
5. What are some of the odd behaviors of Remedios the Beauty?
6. When Amaranta Ursula returns to Macondo, who does she bring with her?
7. What happens when Amaranta Ursula delivers her child?
8. What does Meme do after her lover Mauricio Babilonia is shot and killed?
9. Who is the woman that Aureliano Segundo finally chooses?
10. Why does Meme play the clavichord?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some readers find it confusing that this novel isn't told in chronological order. But could the story work any other way? Why does the refusal to stick to a straight timeline help the story be more accessible and more entertaining for the reader? Or would a chronological timeline be a stronger choice?
Essay Topic 2
The weather is another strong theme in this book, often changing along with the events in the story. Give specific examples of different weather patterns in this book as well as related examples of how the story is mirroring the weather, and vice versa.
Essay Topic 3
The love that is described in this novel is a bit different from most readers' traditional ideas about love. It seems the family is quite hindered by their lack of ability to love. Describe three reasons why the Buendia family might have had such a hard time creating love in their lives.
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)