|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the traveler in #128 return to build?
2. What do Meme's skills allows her to do?
3. What does Gaston do when he realizes that Amaranta Ursula will never tire of Macondo?
4. The eldest daughter of Fernanda Del Carpio takes up the __________?
5. Where is Meme take by Fernanda del Carpio?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the signs that Macondo is becoming more modern?
2. Who is Aureliano Segundo trying to placate in his life?
3. What happens when Amaranta Ursula delivers her child?
4. Why does Meme play the clavichord?
5. What is the secret that Aureliano Amador doesn't know about Amaranta Ursula?
6. What are some of the odd behaviors of Remedios the Beauty?
7. Why does Santa Sofia de la Piedad just walk away one day?
8. What does Aureliano Segundo do because Fernanda is impossible to live with?
9. Who is helping to pay for the essentials (e.g., food) for Fernanda?
10. When the child is missing from his crib, what has happened to the child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The recurring role of incest in this novel creates a bit of a moral quandary for the reader, but the characters in the story don't seem to see it that way. How is their solitary location increasing their chances of incest? Why is incest a constant threat to their family? What effects does incest have on the family ? Give at least three consequences, describing exactly how the act of incest affects those involved as well as those around them.
Essay Topic 2
Some readers find it confusing that this novel isn't told in chronological order. But could the story work any other way? Why does the refusal to stick to a straight timeline help the story be more accessible and more entertaining for the reader? Or would a chronological timeline be a stronger choice?
Essay Topic 3
As the story progresses, Macondo begins to have more new technology than it did in the beginning. How does this new technology affect everyday life in the town? Does technology affect the town at all? List specific examples of either side as well as examples of the different pieces of technology that were introduced.
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)