|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What describes Fernanda del Carpio's family?
2. Which woman assumes she would be royalty?
3. Who wants to see better working conditions at the banana factory?
4. What happens to Meme's lover as mentioned in #141?
5. Who leaves home for papal training in Rome?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the child is missing from his crib, what has happened to the child?
2. What devastation does the five-year-long event cause?
3. What does Meme do after her lover Mauricio Babilonia is shot and killed?
4. Who is the woman that Aureliano Segundo finally chooses?
5. Why does Meme play the clavichord?
6. What is the secret that Aureliano Amador doesn't know about Amaranta Ursula?
7. Why does Santa Sofia de la Piedad just walk away one day?
8. What are some of the signs that Macondo is becoming more modern?
9. Who is helping to pay for the essentials (e.g., food) for Fernanda?
10. Who is the stranger who arrives at the door?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the presence of solitude in this story. How does it affect the lives of each generation? How does this solitude affect the physical health of the characters? How does it affect the mental health of the characters? Cite at least two characters as an example of each.
Essay Topic 2
Jose Arcadio Buendia and Ursula do not want to consummate their marriage. Why not? Are their fears practical? Why do they choose to consummate their marriage anyway?
Essay Topic 3
Why is the parchment so important for the characters in the book? What makes this parchment something important to the family? What happens when the parchment is finally deciphered? Who is the one who deciphers it? Why is it so important that this character be the one who deciphers the parchment?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)