|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the boy that appeared to be missing?
2. Who is murdered by several youths who he offended?
3. Who becomes smitten with Amaranta Ursula?
4. Who does Aureliano see at a strange brothel?
5. What do Meme's skills allows her to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Santa Sofia de la Piedad just walk away one day?
2. What is Jose Arcadio Segundo doing as he's locked in the laboratory?
3. Who is helping to pay for the essentials (e.g., food) for Fernanda?
4. When the child is missing from his crib, what has happened to the child?
5. What does Aureliano Segundo do because Fernanda is impossible to live with?
6. What happens when Amaranta Ursula delivers her child?
7. Why does Meme play the clavichord?
8. Who is the woman that Aureliano Segundo finally chooses?
9. What does Jose Arcadio leave home to do?
10. What are some of the signs that Macondo is becoming more modern?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the story progresses, Macondo begins to have more new technology than it did in the beginning. How does this new technology affect everyday life in the town? Does technology affect the town at all? List specific examples of either side as well as examples of the different pieces of technology that were introduced.
Essay Topic 2
The love that is described in this novel is a bit different from most readers' traditional ideas about love. It seems the family is quite hindered by their lack of ability to love. Describe three reasons why the Buendia family might have had such a hard time creating love in their lives.
Essay Topic 3
The weather is another strong theme in this book, often changing along with the events in the story. Give specific examples of different weather patterns in this book as well as related examples of how the story is mirroring the weather, and vice versa.
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)