|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wants to see better working conditions at the banana factory?
2. Why did Fernanda del Carpio accept the marriage proposal from Aureliano Segundo?
3. What helps increase the modernization of Macondo?
4. Who is murdered by several youths who he offended?
5. Who dies, and is left dressed as a queen in repose?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Amaranta believe she will die?
2. What are some of the odd behaviors of Remedios the Beauty?
3. Who is the woman that Aureliano Segundo finally chooses?
4. Who is the stranger who arrives at the door?
5. What devastation does the five-year-long event cause?
6. What happens when Amaranta Ursula delivers her child?
7. What does the banana company do when people begin to complain of unfair working conditions?
8. What does Jose Arcadio leave home to do?
9. Why does Meme play the clavichord?
10. When the child is missing from his crib, what has happened to the child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Government seems to play a significant role in this novel. How does the government positively affect Macondo? How does the government negatively affect Macondo? Give at least two specific examples of each.
Essay Topic 2
How does the banana factory affect the town? Give specific examples as to how the factory affects the town structure, the families, the women, the men, and the progress of Macondo.
Essay Topic 3
Men and women have vastly different parts to play in this novel. Using characters from each generation as examples, describe the role of men in this novel as well as the roles of women. How do they differ? How are they the same?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)