|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Amaranta Ursula return to the house with?
2. What happens between Aureliano and Amaranta Ursula?
3. Who leaves home for papal training in Rome?
4. What does Amaranta see a vision of?
5. Who does not like Fernanda del Carpio?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Meme play the clavichord?
2. When Amaranta Ursula returns to Macondo, who does she bring with her?
3. When does Amaranta believe she will die?
4. What continues to occur for five long years in Macondo?
5. Who is the stranger who arrives at the door?
6. Who is the woman that Aureliano Segundo finally chooses?
7. What is Jose Arcadio Segundo doing as he's locked in the laboratory?
8. What does Meme do after her lover Mauricio Babilonia is shot and killed?
9. Who is Aureliano Segundo trying to placate in his life?
10. What are some of the odd behaviors of Remedios the Beauty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For many characters in the book, they learn of their fate long before the fate comes to pass. Give three examples of how this has happened to characters in the novel, including a full description of the foreshadowing, the way the character reacted, and whether the fate came true.
Essay Topic 2
The weather is another strong theme in this book, often changing along with the events in the story. Give specific examples of different weather patterns in this book as well as related examples of how the story is mirroring the weather, and vice versa.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters in this book take on lovers to help them with their loneliness, it seems. Describe the necessity of Pilar, Remedios the Beauty, Santa Sofia de la Piedad, and other women in the novel. What do they give to the lovers they take? What do these relationships take away from those who are in them?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)