|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Meme take by Fernanda del Carpio?
2. What describes Fernanda del Carpio's family?
3. Who is murdered by several youths who he offended?
4. What does the banana factory do to lure workers for the massacre?
5. The eldest daughter of Fernanda Del Carpio takes up the __________?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the banana company do when people begin to complain of unfair working conditions?
2. Who is Aureliano Segundo trying to placate in his life?
3. What does Meme do after her lover Mauricio Babilonia is shot and killed?
4. Why does Santa Sofia de la Piedad just walk away one day?
5. Who is helping to pay for the essentials (e.g., food) for Fernanda?
6. When the child is missing from his crib, what has happened to the child?
7. What does Jose Arcadio leave home to do?
8. Who is the stranger who arrives at the door?
9. When does Amaranta believe she will die?
10. What is the secret that Aureliano Amador doesn't know about Amaranta Ursula?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The town of Macondo changes throughout the course of the novel - describe the life cycle of this town from its beginnings, changes, and to its eventual end. Why do these changes make sense for the novel and for the town itself?
Essay Topic 2
How does the banana factory affect the town? Give specific examples as to how the factory affects the town structure, the families, the women, the men, and the progress of Macondo.
Essay Topic 3
For many characters in the book, they learn of their fate long before the fate comes to pass. Give three examples of how this has happened to characters in the novel, including a full description of the foreshadowing, the way the character reacted, and whether the fate came true.
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)