|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What helps increase the modernization of Macondo?
2. Why does Meme continue to play her instrument even though she doesn't enjoy it?
3. Why does Amaranta Ursula not realize her heritage?
4. What happens between Aureliano and Amaranta Ursula?
5. What happens to Meme's lover as mentioned in #141?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Amaranta believe she will die?
2. What does Aureliano Segundo do because Fernanda is impossible to live with?
3. Why does Santa Sofia de la Piedad just walk away one day?
4. Who is the stranger who arrives at the door?
5. What is Jose Arcadio Segundo doing as he's locked in the laboratory?
6. What continues to occur for five long years in Macondo?
7. What devastation does the five-year-long event cause?
8. What does Meme do after her lover Mauricio Babilonia is shot and killed?
9. Who is helping to pay for the essentials (e.g., food) for Fernanda?
10. Who is Aureliano Segundo trying to placate in his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is the parchment so important for the characters in the book? What makes this parchment something important to the family? What happens when the parchment is finally deciphered? Who is the one who deciphers it? Why is it so important that this character be the one who deciphers the parchment?
Essay Topic 2
A running theme in this novel is the idea of fantasy. Many characters do things and say things that aren't necessarily grounded in fact. Choose three examples of how the fantasy elements in this story affect the actions and the outcomes of the story.
Essay Topic 3
It could be said that the novel is comparable to the Book of Genesis in the Bible. Give some examples of how this could be the case, keeping in mind that Genesis' story begins with the creation of paradise and the eventual downfall and alteration of Paradise because of one person's choice to create the world in the first place. Cite at least four examples of similarities and differences between Genesis and the story of Macondo.
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)