|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose wealth washes away?
2. Who does Meme meet and begin to have an affair with?
3. What do Aureliano Segundo and Petra Cotes do to make money?
4. What happens to Meme's lover as mentioned in #141?
5. How many people are massacred?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the child is missing from his crib, what has happened to the child?
2. When does Amaranta believe she will die?
3. What is the secret that Aureliano Amador doesn't know about Amaranta Ursula?
4. Why does Meme play the clavichord?
5. Who is the woman that Aureliano Segundo finally chooses?
6. What continues to occur for five long years in Macondo?
7. When Amaranta Ursula returns to Macondo, who does she bring with her?
8. What are some of the signs that Macondo is becoming more modern?
9. Who is Aureliano Segundo trying to placate in his life?
10. What are some of the odd behaviors of Remedios the Beauty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From the very beginning of this novel, the idea of time is an important theme. Because time seems to be cyclical in nature, it's difficult to tell when events happen - or if they even happen at all. Describe three events in the novel where time seems to affect the memory of the event as well as how time affects those involved in the event: the banana factory massacre, the political turn of events, and the deeds of Colonel Aureliano Buendia.
Essay Topic 2
As the story progresses, Macondo begins to have more new technology than it did in the beginning. How does this new technology affect everyday life in the town? Does technology affect the town at all? List specific examples of either side as well as examples of the different pieces of technology that were introduced.
Essay Topic 3
Again and again in the novel, a reader sees characters running away from their problems and running away from danger. List three examples in which this happens in the novel as well as why this choice works or doesn't work for the individual characters. Are the characters running out of self preservation or out of fear? Or is there another reason to run away?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)