|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the boy that appeared to be missing?
2. Who is murdered by several youths who he offended?
3. Whose wealth washes away?
4. What is Fernanda del Carpio's daughter's name?
5. Who does not like Fernanda del Carpio?
Short Essay Questions
1. What continues to occur for five long years in Macondo?
2. When the child is missing from his crib, what has happened to the child?
3. What devastation does the five-year-long event cause?
4. What are some of the signs that Macondo is becoming more modern?
5. What happens when Amaranta Ursula delivers her child?
6. Who is Aureliano Segundo trying to placate in his life?
7. When Amaranta Ursula returns to Macondo, who does she bring with her?
8. Who is the stranger who arrives at the door?
9. Who is helping to pay for the essentials (e.g., food) for Fernanda?
10. When does Amaranta believe she will die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the story progresses, Macondo begins to have more new technology than it did in the beginning. How does this new technology affect everyday life in the town? Does technology affect the town at all? List specific examples of either side as well as examples of the different pieces of technology that were introduced.
Essay Topic 2
A running theme in this novel is the idea of fantasy. Many characters do things and say things that aren't necessarily grounded in fact. Choose three examples of how the fantasy elements in this story affect the actions and the outcomes of the story.
Essay Topic 3
For many characters in the book, they learn of their fate long before the fate comes to pass. Give three examples of how this has happened to characters in the novel, including a full description of the foreshadowing, the way the character reacted, and whether the fate came true.
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)