|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who seizes Macondo again?
2. Why does Colonel Aureliano Buendia have so many illegitimate children?
3. When the town becomes infected with insomnia, what do they discover?
4. Who tries to prevent the killing of the answer in #93?
5. What does Pilar Ternera tell Jose Arcadio?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jose Arcadio Segundo.
2. How does the reader know that Colonel Aureliano Buendia has become distant?
3. Who are identical twins?
4. How does Ursula help to prevent the marriage of Rebeca and Pietro?
5. What other event prevents Rebeca and Pietro's wedding from happening?
6. What was Jose Arcadio Buendia's original profession?
7. The plague of Rebeca spreads across the town - who helps to save the people?
8. What is Pietro Crespi a master at doing?
9. What is the gypsies' latest wonder that they share with Jose Arcadio Buendia?
10. Why won't Ursula have sex with Jose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the banana factory affect the town? Give specific examples as to how the factory affects the town structure, the families, the women, the men, and the progress of Macondo.
Essay Topic 2
From the very beginning of this novel, the idea of time is an important theme. Because time seems to be cyclical in nature, it's difficult to tell when events happen - or if they even happen at all. Describe three events in the novel where time seems to affect the memory of the event as well as how time affects those involved in the event: the banana factory massacre, the political turn of events, and the deeds of Colonel Aureliano Buendia.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the presence of solitude in this story. How does it affect the lives of each generation? How does this solitude affect the physical health of the characters? How does it affect the mental health of the characters? Cite at least two characters as an example of each.
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)