|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is/are the names of Jose Arcadio and Ursula's child/children?
2. Who is a bony and thin adult who never amounts to much?
3. Who takes in Santa Sofia de la Piedad?
4. What do Ursula and Jose Arcadio believe will happen if they have children?
5. Who vies for the love of Pietro?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the reader know that Colonel Aureliano Buendia has become distant?
2. What was Jose Arcadio Buendia's original profession?
3. What other event prevents Rebeca and Pietro's wedding from happening?
4. How does Ursula help to prevent the marriage of Rebeca and Pietro?
5. What happens to prevent the execution of Colonel Aureliano Buendia?
6. What makes Jose Arcadio Buendia and Ursula outcasts in their society?
7. How do Pilar Ternera and Jose Arcadio meet?
8. Who are identical twins?
9. How does Amaranta raise her son Aureliano Jose, and why is this inappropriate?
10. What is Pietro Crespi a master at doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The love that is described in this novel is a bit different from most readers' traditional ideas about love. It seems the family is quite hindered by their lack of ability to love. Describe three reasons why the Buendia family might have had such a hard time creating love in their lives.
Essay Topic 2
Government seems to play a significant role in this novel. How does the government positively affect Macondo? How does the government negatively affect Macondo? Give at least two specific examples of each.
Essay Topic 3
Jose Arcadio Buendia and Ursula do not want to consummate their marriage. Why not? Are their fears practical? Why do they choose to consummate their marriage anyway?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)