|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT one of Rebeca's symptoms?
2. What was Jose Arcadio Buendia's previous occupation?
3. Who is the head of the gypsies?
4. Who realizes he has no valid cause to fight?
5. What happens five months after Arcadio's execution?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jose Arcadio Segundo doing as he's locked in the laboratory?
2. What happens to Pietro when Amaranta finally rejects his long proposal and courtship?
3. Who is helping to pay for the essentials (e.g., food) for Fernanda?
4. What has Melqunades left behind after his sudden death?
5. What does Colonel Aureliano Buendia do with his newfound solitude?
6. What does Don Apolinar Moscote, a magistrate from the distant government, require that Ursula do for her home, but she then ignores the ruling?
7. What does Colonel Aureliano Buendia begin to realize?
8. How does the reader know that Colonel Aureliano Buendia has become distant?
9. Where has Jose Arcadio been? And how can he be described?
10. How does Ursula help to prevent the marriage of Rebeca and Pietro?
Essay Topic 1
How does the banana factory affect the town? Give specific examples as to how the factory affects the town structure, the families, the women, the men, and the progress of Macondo.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the climax of the banana factor massacre. What does this have to say about organized business? What does this have to say about someone coming into an isolated setting? Is this a metaphor for a larger issue that the family has to contend with?
Essay Topic 3
A running theme in this novel is the idea of fantasy. Many characters do things and say things that aren't necessarily grounded in fact. Choose three examples of how the fantasy elements in this story affect the actions and the outcomes of the story.
This section contains 1,472 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)