|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the new leader of Macondo as a result of #91?
2. What does Colonel Aureliano Buendia do when he visits the jail?
3. Who leaves Macondo to join the revolution?
4. Who is always engaged in productive work?
5. What does Jose Arcadio Buendia do when someone insults his marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Melqunades.
2. The plague of Rebeca spreads across the town - who helps to save the people?
3. What was Jose Arcadio Buendia's original profession?
4. Describe what is going to happen to Colonel Buendia in the not too distant past.
5. What happens after Aureliano Jose after the rejection of his affections?
6. What happens to prevent the execution of Colonel Aureliano Buendia?
7. Why doesn't Colonel Aureliano Buendia die when he shoots himself through the chest?
8. When Jose Arcadio Buendia becomes obsessed with mechanical animals, what do Aureliano and some townspeople do?
9. What happens to Pietro when Amaranta finally rejects his long proposal and courtship?
10. What happens to the murderer of Aureliano Jose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The weather is another strong theme in this book, often changing along with the events in the story. Give specific examples of different weather patterns in this book as well as related examples of how the story is mirroring the weather, and vice versa.
Essay Topic 2
Some readers find it confusing that this novel isn't told in chronological order. But could the story work any other way? Why does the refusal to stick to a straight timeline help the story be more accessible and more entertaining for the reader? Or would a chronological timeline be a stronger choice?
Essay Topic 3
A running theme in this novel is the idea of fantasy. Many characters do things and say things that aren't necessarily grounded in fact. Choose three examples of how the fantasy elements in this story affect the actions and the outcomes of the story.
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)