|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has the answer in #42 left behind?
2. What happens when Amaranta rejects Pietro?
3. What happens to Arcadio after town violence erupts?
4. How many illegitimate children of Colonel Aureliano Buendia are introduced to Ursula?
5. What does Jose Arcadio Buendia like to study?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jose Arcadio Segundo.
2. How does Ursula help to prevent the marriage of Rebeca and Pietro?
3. How many children does Santa Sofia de la Piedad have? And what are their names?
4. What happens after Aureliano Jose after the rejection of his affections?
5. What makes Jose Arcadio Buendia and Ursula outcasts in their society?
6. What happens when Gerineldo Mbrquez disagrees with the decision of Colonel Aureliano Buendia?
7. What happens to prevent the execution of Colonel Aureliano Buendia?
8. Why won't Ursula have sex with Jose?
9. What does Colonel Aureliano Buendia begin to realize?
10. When Jose Arcadio Buendia becomes obsessed with mechanical animals, what do Aureliano and some townspeople do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some readers find it confusing that this novel isn't told in chronological order. But could the story work any other way? Why does the refusal to stick to a straight timeline help the story be more accessible and more entertaining for the reader? Or would a chronological timeline be a stronger choice?
Essay Topic 2
How does the banana factory affect the town? Give specific examples as to how the factory affects the town structure, the families, the women, the men, and the progress of Macondo.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the presence of solitude in this story. How does it affect the lives of each generation? How does this solitude affect the physical health of the characters? How does it affect the mental health of the characters? Cite at least two characters as an example of each.
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)