|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jose Arcadio Buendia become obsessed with?
2. What is happening with Santa Sofia de la Piedad when Arcadio is taken away?
3. Who is the town's magistrate?
4. What did Melqunades seemingly die of?
5. What does Pietro Crespi set up when he returns to town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Colonel Aureliano Buendia's final request when he is caught and court martialed?
2. Describe what is going to happen to Colonel Buendia in the not too distant past.
3. What does Don Apolinar Moscote, a magistrate from the distant government, require that Ursula do for her home, but she then ignores the ruling?
4. How many illegitimate sons does Colonel Aureliano Buendia have and why?
5. How does Ursula help to prevent the marriage of Rebeca and Pietro?
6. How do Pilar Ternera and Jose Arcadio meet?
7. Arcadio becomes enthralled with Pilar, but since they are related, when they are supposed to meet, Pilar sends someone else in her place - who?
8. Why won't Ursula have sex with Jose?
9. What happens to prevent the execution of Colonel Aureliano Buendia?
10. What is the gypsies' latest wonder that they share with Jose Arcadio Buendia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jose Arcadio Buendia and Ursula do not want to consummate their marriage. Why not? Are their fears practical? Why do they choose to consummate their marriage anyway?
Essay Topic 2
The town of Macondo changes throughout the course of the novel - describe the life cycle of this town from its beginnings, changes, and to its eventual end. Why do these changes make sense for the novel and for the town itself?
Essay Topic 3
A running theme in this novel is the idea of fantasy. Many characters do things and say things that aren't necessarily grounded in fact. Choose three examples of how the fantasy elements in this story affect the actions and the outcomes of the story.
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)