|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Arcadio do with a messenger sent by the liberal revolutionary forces?
2. Who is left in charge of Macondo when the answer from #61 leaves?
3. Who vies for the love of Pietro?
4. Who is the eleven-year-old girl who arrives at the Buendia house?
5. What did Melqunades seemingly die of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are identical twins?
2. How many children does Santa Sofia de la Piedad have? And what are their names?
3. How do Pilar Ternera and Jose Arcadio meet?
4. How many illegitimate sons does Colonel Aureliano Buendia have and why?
5. Describe Aureliano Segundo.
6. Describe what is going to happen to Colonel Buendia in the not too distant past.
7. How does Amaranta raise her son Aureliano Jose, and why is this inappropriate?
8. How does Ursula help to prevent the marriage of Rebeca and Pietro?
9. Why doesn't Colonel Aureliano Buendia die when he shoots himself through the chest?
10. When a messenger arrives from the Liberal Revolutionary Forces, what does Arcadio do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of religion is not something that's overlooked in this novel. From the many spiritual advisers to the idea of alternative religions and belief systems, it seems the author is just as interested in creating confusion as he is interested in creating order. What does this novel seem to say about religion in general and its usefulness in family life, home life, and politics?
Essay Topic 2
It could be said that the novel is comparable to the Book of Genesis in the Bible. Give some examples of how this could be the case, keeping in mind that Genesis' story begins with the creation of paradise and the eventual downfall and alteration of Paradise because of one person's choice to create the world in the first place. Cite at least four examples of similarities and differences between Genesis and the story of Macondo.
Essay Topic 3
For many characters in the book, they learn of their fate long before the fate comes to pass. Give three examples of how this has happened to characters in the novel, including a full description of the foreshadowing, the way the character reacted, and whether the fate came true.
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)