|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Colonel Aureliano Buendia do that his intimates tell him not to do?
2. Who courts the twins?
3. What happens to Arcadio after town violence erupts?
4. Who is a witness to a military executions that then scars him for life?
5. How many children does Santa Sofia de la Piedad now have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Jose Arcadio Buendia's original profession?
2. Why doesn't Colonel Aureliano Buendia die when he shoots himself through the chest?
3. Where has Jose Arcadio been? And how can he be described?
4. What devastation does the five-year-long event cause?
5. How many children does Santa Sofia de la Piedad have? And what are their names?
6. How does Ursula help to prevent the marriage of Rebeca and Pietro?
7. What happens when Amaranta Ursula delivers her child?
8. How do Pilar Ternera and Jose Arcadio meet?
9. What makes Jose Arcadio Buendia and Ursula outcasts in their society?
10. Who are identical twins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Again and again in the novel, a reader sees characters running away from their problems and running away from danger. List three examples in which this happens in the novel as well as why this choice works or doesn't work for the individual characters. Are the characters running out of self preservation or out of fear? Or is there another reason to run away?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of religion is not something that's overlooked in this novel. From the many spiritual advisers to the idea of alternative religions and belief systems, it seems the author is just as interested in creating confusion as he is interested in creating order. What does this novel seem to say about religion in general and its usefulness in family life, home life, and politics?
Essay Topic 3
The town of Macondo changes throughout the course of the novel - describe the life cycle of this town from its beginnings, changes, and to its eventual end. Why do these changes make sense for the novel and for the town itself?
This section contains 1,427 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)