Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes fixated on Amaranta as a sexual object?
2. Where did Jose Arcadio Buendia and Ursula originally live?
3. Where is the story located?
4. When the town becomes infected with insomnia, what do they discover?
5. Who is the town's magistrate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the woman that Aureliano Segundo finally chooses?
2. What happens to the murderer of Aureliano Jose?
3. What has Melqunades left behind after his sudden death?
4. What are some of the odd behaviors of Remedios the Beauty?
5. How does the reader know that Colonel Aureliano Buendia has become distant?
6. How do Ursula and Jose Arcadio Buendia learn that Rebeca is related to them?
7. Describe Melqunades.
8. When Amaranta Ursula returns to Macondo, who does she bring with her?
9. What is Jose Arcadio Segundo doing as he's locked in the laboratory?
10. When a messenger arrives from the Liberal Revolutionary Forces, what does Arcadio do?
Essay Topic 1
For many characters in the book, they learn of their fate long before the fate comes to pass. Give three examples of how this has happened to characters in the novel, including a full description of the foreshadowing, the way the character reacted, and whether the fate came true.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the climax of the banana factor massacre. What does this have to say about organized business? What does this have to say about someone coming into an isolated setting? Is this a metaphor for a larger issue that the family has to contend with?
Essay Topic 3
From the very beginning of this novel, the idea of time is an important theme. Because time seems to be cyclical in nature, it's difficult to tell when events happen - or if they even happen at all. Describe three events in the novel where time seems to affect the memory of the event as well as how time affects those involved in the event: the banana factory massacre, the political turn of events, and the deeds of Colonel Aureliano Buendia.
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)