|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes lazy and dissipated and plays the accordion?
2. Who steps in to stop the execution in Macondo?
3. Why do Ursula and Jose Arcadio Buendia leave their town?
4. What does Aureliano have to wait for before he can be with the answer of #40?
5. Who is now twenty years of age without being able to take care of herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the ailments of Rebeca?
2. When a messenger arrives from the Liberal Revolutionary Forces, what does Arcadio do?
3. What happens after Aureliano Jose after the rejection of his affections?
4. What other event prevents Rebeca and Pietro's wedding from happening?
5. Describe Melqunades.
6. Why doesn't Colonel Aureliano Buendia die when he shoots himself through the chest?
7. Who are identical twins?
8. Who vies for the attention of Pietro Crespi?
9. When Colonel Aureliano Buendia leaves Macondo, who takes his place? Describe this leader's leadership style.
10. Where has Jose Arcadio been? And how can he be described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the climax of the banana factor massacre. What does this have to say about organized business? What does this have to say about someone coming into an isolated setting? Is this a metaphor for a larger issue that the family has to contend with?
Essay Topic 2
It could be said that the novel is comparable to the Book of Genesis in the Bible. Give some examples of how this could be the case, keeping in mind that Genesis' story begins with the creation of paradise and the eventual downfall and alteration of Paradise because of one person's choice to create the world in the first place. Cite at least four examples of similarities and differences between Genesis and the story of Macondo.
Essay Topic 3
The recurring role of incest in this novel creates a bit of a moral quandary for the reader, but the characters in the story don't seem to see it that way. How is their solitary location increasing their chances of incest? Why is incest a constant threat to their family? What effects does incest have on the family ? Give at least three consequences, describing exactly how the act of incest affects those involved as well as those around them.
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)