|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long do Ursula and Jose Arcadio Buendia wander across the mountains?
2. Who tries, though unsuccessfully, to court Amaranta?
3. What does Arcadio do with a messenger sent by the liberal revolutionary forces?
4. When the person in #42 dies, what does the town have to do?
5. What do Ursula and Jose Arcadio believe will happen if they have children?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Jose Arcadio Buendia becomes obsessed with mechanical animals, what do Aureliano and some townspeople do?
2. Who are identical twins?
3. What happens when Gerineldo Mbrquez disagrees with the decision of Colonel Aureliano Buendia?
4. Where has Jose Arcadio been? And how can he be described?
5. Why won't Ursula have sex with Jose?
6. What was Jose Arcadio Buendia's original profession?
7. What is so extraordinary about Jose Arcadio's anatomy, so much so that he gets the attention of many gypsies and even terrifies his own mother?
8. Describe Jose Arcadio Segundo.
9. What happens to Pietro when Amaranta finally rejects his long proposal and courtship?
10. How many illegitimate sons does Colonel Aureliano Buendia have and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some readers find it confusing that this novel isn't told in chronological order. But could the story work any other way? Why does the refusal to stick to a straight timeline help the story be more accessible and more entertaining for the reader? Or would a chronological timeline be a stronger choice?
Essay Topic 2
The town of Macondo changes throughout the course of the novel - describe the life cycle of this town from its beginnings, changes, and to its eventual end. Why do these changes make sense for the novel and for the town itself?
Essay Topic 3
The love that is described in this novel is a bit different from most readers' traditional ideas about love. It seems the family is quite hindered by their lack of ability to love. Describe three reasons why the Buendia family might have had such a hard time creating love in their lives.
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)