|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who returns home with crude manners and many tattoos?
2. Who does the answer in #92 kill as a result of a disagreement?
3. What happens when a rich man comes into town?
4. Who criticized this decision the most?
5. Who is finally married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Pietro Crespi a master at doing?
2. How do Ursula and Jose Arcadio Buendia learn that Rebeca is related to them?
3. Who does Aureliano Buendia marry?
4. What is Colonel Aureliano Buendia's final request when he is caught and court martialed?
5. What does Don Apolinar Moscote, a magistrate from the distant government, require that Ursula do for her home, but she then ignores the ruling?
6. What is the gypsies' latest wonder that they share with Jose Arcadio Buendia?
7. When a messenger arrives from the Liberal Revolutionary Forces, what does Arcadio do?
8. Where has Jose Arcadio been? And how can he be described?
9. Describe Melqunades.
10. Why won't Ursula have sex with Jose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jose Arcadio Buendia and Ursula do not want to consummate their marriage. Why not? Are their fears practical? Why do they choose to consummate their marriage anyway?
Essay Topic 2
A running theme in this novel is the idea of fantasy. Many characters do things and say things that aren't necessarily grounded in fact. Choose three examples of how the fantasy elements in this story affect the actions and the outcomes of the story.
Essay Topic 3
The recurring role of incest in this novel creates a bit of a moral quandary for the reader, but the characters in the story don't seem to see it that way. How is their solitary location increasing their chances of incest? Why is incest a constant threat to their family? What effects does incest have on the family ? Give at least three consequences, describing exactly how the act of incest affects those involved as well as those around them.
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)