Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes fixated on Amaranta as a sexual object?
2. Where did Jose Arcadio Buendia and Ursula originally live?
3. Where is the story located?
4. When the town becomes infected with insomnia, what do they discover?
5. Who is the town's magistrate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the woman that Aureliano Segundo finally chooses?
2. What happens to the murderer of Aureliano Jose?
3. What has Melqunades left behind after his sudden death?
4. What are some of the odd behaviors of Remedios the Beauty?
5. How does the reader know that Colonel Aureliano Buendia has become distant?
6. How do Ursula and Jose Arcadio Buendia learn that Rebeca is related to them?
7. Describe Melqunades.
8. When Amaranta Ursula returns to Macondo, who does she bring with her?
9. What is Jose Arcadio Segundo doing as he's locked in the laboratory?
10. When a messenger arrives from the Liberal Revolutionary Forces, what does Arcadio do?
Essay Topic 1
The town of Macondo changes throughout the course of the novel - describe the life cycle of this town from its beginnings, changes, and to its eventual end. Why do these changes make sense for the novel and for the town itself?
Essay Topic 2
It could be said that the novel is comparable to the Book of Genesis in the Bible. Give some examples of how this could be the case, keeping in mind that Genesis' story begins with the creation of paradise and the eventual downfall and alteration of Paradise because of one person's choice to create the world in the first place. Cite at least four examples of similarities and differences between Genesis and the story of Macondo.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters in this book take on lovers to help them with their loneliness, it seems. Describe the necessity of Pilar, Remedios the Beauty, Santa Sofia de la Piedad, and other women in the novel. What do they give to the lovers they take? What do these relationships take away from those who are in them?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)