|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when a rich man comes into town?
2. Who needs a ten foot circle drawn around him?
3. Who is now twenty years of age without being able to take care of herself?
4. Who is finally married?
5. What did Melqunades seemingly die of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the murderer of Aureliano Jose?
2. How many children does Santa Sofia de la Piedad have? And what are their names?
3. Why does Meme play the clavichord?
4. What devastation does the five-year-long event cause?
5. Describe Melqunades.
6. What are some of the signs that Macondo is becoming more modern?
7. Who are identical twins?
8. What other event prevents Rebeca and Pietro's wedding from happening?
9. Describe Jose Arcadio Segundo.
10. When a messenger arrives from the Liberal Revolutionary Forces, what does Arcadio do?
Essay Topic 1
A running theme in this novel is the idea of fantasy. Many characters do things and say things that aren't necessarily grounded in fact. Choose three examples of how the fantasy elements in this story affect the actions and the outcomes of the story.
Essay Topic 2
The town of Macondo changes throughout the course of the novel - describe the life cycle of this town from its beginnings, changes, and to its eventual end. Why do these changes make sense for the novel and for the town itself?
Essay Topic 3
Men and women have vastly different parts to play in this novel. Using characters from each generation as examples, describe the role of men in this novel as well as the roles of women. How do they differ? How are they the same?
This section contains 1,406 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)