|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Arcadio after town violence erupts?
2. What does Pilar Ternera tell Jose Arcadio?
3. What happens five months after Arcadio's execution?
4. What happens to the solider who shoots the person in #89?
5. What do the townspeople do when Jose Arcadio Buendia seems to go mad?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ursula help to prevent the marriage of Rebeca and Pietro?
2. What happens when Gerineldo Mbrquez disagrees with the decision of Colonel Aureliano Buendia?
3. What happens after Aureliano Jose after the rejection of his affections?
4. What has Melqunades left behind after his sudden death?
5. When Jose Arcadio Buendia becomes obsessed with mechanical animals, what do Aureliano and some townspeople do?
6. What does Colonel Aureliano Buendia begin to realize?
7. What is so extraordinary about Jose Arcadio's anatomy, so much so that he gets the attention of many gypsies and even terrifies his own mother?
8. Who vies for the attention of Pietro Crespi?
9. What is Pietro Crespi a master at doing?
10. Describe what is going to happen to Colonel Buendia in the not too distant past.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The town of Macondo changes throughout the course of the novel - describe the life cycle of this town from its beginnings, changes, and to its eventual end. Why do these changes make sense for the novel and for the town itself?
Essay Topic 2
Jose Arcadio Buendia and Ursula do not want to consummate their marriage. Why not? Are their fears practical? Why do they choose to consummate their marriage anyway?
Essay Topic 3
The love that is described in this novel is a bit different from most readers' traditional ideas about love. It seems the family is quite hindered by their lack of ability to love. Describe three reasons why the Buendia family might have had such a hard time creating love in their lives.
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)