Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes fixated on Amaranta as a sexual object?
2. Where did Jose Arcadio Buendia and Ursula originally live?
3. Where is the story located?
4. When the town becomes infected with insomnia, what do they discover?
5. Who is the town's magistrate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the woman that Aureliano Segundo finally chooses?
2. What happens to the murderer of Aureliano Jose?
3. What has Melqunades left behind after his sudden death?
4. What are some of the odd behaviors of Remedios the Beauty?
5. How does the reader know that Colonel Aureliano Buendia has become distant?
6. How do Ursula and Jose Arcadio Buendia learn that Rebeca is related to them?
7. Describe Melqunades.
8. When Amaranta Ursula returns to Macondo, who does she bring with her?
9. What is Jose Arcadio Segundo doing as he's locked in the laboratory?
10. When a messenger arrives from the Liberal Revolutionary Forces, what does Arcadio do?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the presence of solitude in this story. How does it affect the lives of each generation? How does this solitude affect the physical health of the characters? How does it affect the mental health of the characters? Cite at least two characters as an example of each.
Essay Topic 2
As the story progresses, Macondo begins to have more new technology than it did in the beginning. How does this new technology affect everyday life in the town? Does technology affect the town at all? List specific examples of either side as well as examples of the different pieces of technology that were introduced.
Essay Topic 3
Again and again in the novel, a reader sees characters running away from their problems and running away from danger. List three examples in which this happens in the novel as well as why this choice works or doesn't work for the individual characters. Are the characters running out of self preservation or out of fear? Or is there another reason to run away?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)