|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who seizes Macondo again?
2. Who needs a ten foot circle drawn around him?
3. What do the soldiers do when the execution is interrupted?
4. What happens when Amaranta rejects Pietro?
5. Who rejects the Buendia name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Melqunades left behind after his sudden death?
2. What happens after Aureliano Jose after the rejection of his affections?
3. When Colonel Aureliano Buendia leaves Macondo, who takes his place? Describe this leader's leadership style.
4. How do Ursula and Jose Arcadio Buendia learn that Rebeca is related to them?
5. How does Ursula help to prevent the marriage of Rebeca and Pietro?
6. Where has Jose Arcadio been? And how can he be described?
7. What is the gypsies' latest wonder that they share with Jose Arcadio Buendia?
8. Arcadio becomes enthralled with Pilar, but since they are related, when they are supposed to meet, Pilar sends someone else in her place - who?
9. What happens to prevent the execution of Colonel Aureliano Buendia?
10. What was Jose Arcadio Buendia's original profession?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The weather is another strong theme in this book, often changing along with the events in the story. Give specific examples of different weather patterns in this book as well as related examples of how the story is mirroring the weather, and vice versa.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the climax of the banana factor massacre. What does this have to say about organized business? What does this have to say about someone coming into an isolated setting? Is this a metaphor for a larger issue that the family has to contend with?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the presence of solitude in this story. How does it affect the lives of each generation? How does this solitude affect the physical health of the characters? How does it affect the mental health of the characters? Cite at least two characters as an example of each.
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)