|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the story located?
2. What does Jose Arcadio Buendia do when someone insults his marriage?
3. Who does Rebeca marry?
4. Who is Arcadio's mother?
5. What does Aureliano do when he heads about the conservatives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the murderer of Aureliano Jose?
2. What does Don Apolinar Moscote, a magistrate from the distant government, require that Ursula do for her home, but she then ignores the ruling?
3. When a messenger arrives from the Liberal Revolutionary Forces, what does Arcadio do?
4. Why doesn't Colonel Aureliano Buendia die when he shoots himself through the chest?
5. What was Jose Arcadio Buendia's original profession?
6. Describe what is going to happen to Colonel Buendia in the not too distant past.
7. Why won't Ursula have sex with Jose?
8. Describe Aureliano Segundo.
9. What makes Jose Arcadio Buendia and Ursula outcasts in their society?
10. What does Colonel Aureliano Buendia begin to realize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The weather is another strong theme in this book, often changing along with the events in the story. Give specific examples of different weather patterns in this book as well as related examples of how the story is mirroring the weather, and vice versa.
Essay Topic 2
The recurring role of incest in this novel creates a bit of a moral quandary for the reader, but the characters in the story don't seem to see it that way. How is their solitary location increasing their chances of incest? Why is incest a constant threat to their family? What effects does incest have on the family ? Give at least three consequences, describing exactly how the act of incest affects those involved as well as those around them.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the presence of solitude in this story. How does it affect the lives of each generation? How does this solitude affect the physical health of the characters? How does it affect the mental health of the characters? Cite at least two characters as an example of each.
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)