|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is tampering with Rebeca's impending wedding?
2. Who is the Parisian woman who is taken in married by Aureliano Segundo?
3. What occasionally visits the town?
4. Who proposes to Amaranta?
5. Who begins to find Jose Arcadio irresistible?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the woman that Aureliano Segundo finally chooses?
2. Describe Melqunades.
3. What does Aureliano Segundo do because Fernanda is impossible to live with?
4. Who is the stranger who arrives at the door?
5. What happens when Gerineldo Mbrquez disagrees with the decision of Colonel Aureliano Buendia?
6. What is the gypsies' latest wonder that they share with Jose Arcadio Buendia?
7. How many illegitimate sons does Colonel Aureliano Buendia have and why?
8. How do Pilar Ternera and Jose Arcadio meet?
9. How many children does Santa Sofia de la Piedad have? And what are their names?
10. What makes Jose Arcadio Buendia and Ursula outcasts in their society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The recurring role of incest in this novel creates a bit of a moral quandary for the reader, but the characters in the story don't seem to see it that way. How is their solitary location increasing their chances of incest? Why is incest a constant threat to their family? What effects does incest have on the family ? Give at least three consequences, describing exactly how the act of incest affects those involved as well as those around them.
Essay Topic 2
Government seems to play a significant role in this novel. How does the government positively affect Macondo? How does the government negatively affect Macondo? Give at least two specific examples of each.
Essay Topic 3
The town of Macondo changes throughout the course of the novel - describe the life cycle of this town from its beginnings, changes, and to its eventual end. Why do these changes make sense for the novel and for the town itself?
This section contains 1,410 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)