|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Pilar won't sleep with Arcadio, who does she send?
2. How does the girl prove she is related to Jose Arcadio Buendia and Ursula?
3. Who does Jose Arcadio tell of his affair with Pilar Ternera?
4. Who does the answer in #92 kill as a result of a disagreement?
5. Why do Ursula and Jose Arcadio Buendia leave their town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Jose Arcadio Buendia's original profession?
2. Why won't Ursula have sex with Jose?
3. What happens to prevent the execution of Colonel Aureliano Buendia?
4. What is so extraordinary about Jose Arcadio's anatomy, so much so that he gets the attention of many gypsies and even terrifies his own mother?
5. When a messenger arrives from the Liberal Revolutionary Forces, what does Arcadio do?
6. How do Ursula and Jose Arcadio Buendia learn that Rebeca is related to them?
7. What has Melqunades left behind after his sudden death?
8. Who does Aureliano Buendia marry?
9. Who vies for the attention of Pietro Crespi?
10. What does Don Apolinar Moscote, a magistrate from the distant government, require that Ursula do for her home, but she then ignores the ruling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The recurring role of incest in this novel creates a bit of a moral quandary for the reader, but the characters in the story don't seem to see it that way. How is their solitary location increasing their chances of incest? Why is incest a constant threat to their family? What effects does incest have on the family ? Give at least three consequences, describing exactly how the act of incest affects those involved as well as those around them.
Essay Topic 2
Why is the parchment so important for the characters in the book? What makes this parchment something important to the family? What happens when the parchment is finally deciphered? Who is the one who deciphers it? Why is it so important that this character be the one who deciphers the parchment?
Essay Topic 3
As the story progresses, Macondo begins to have more new technology than it did in the beginning. How does this new technology affect everyday life in the town? Does technology affect the town at all? List specific examples of either side as well as examples of the different pieces of technology that were introduced.
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)