|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is a witness to a military executions that then scars him for life?
2. Who is the eleven-year-old girl who arrives at the Buendia house?
3. Who begins to squander his wealth?
4. What occasionally visits the town?
5. What does Colonel Aureliano Buendia return to Macondo to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Pietro Crespi a master at doing?
2. What happens to prevent the execution of Colonel Aureliano Buendia?
3. How many children does Santa Sofia de la Piedad have? And what are their names?
4. Who are identical twins?
5. What happens to the murderer of Aureliano Jose?
6. Arcadio becomes enthralled with Pilar, but since they are related, when they are supposed to meet, Pilar sends someone else in her place - who?
7. Describe Jose Arcadio Segundo.
8. What happens to Pietro when Amaranta finally rejects his long proposal and courtship?
9. What horrible thing happens when Colonel Aureliano Buendia takes up a brief residence in Macondo again?
10. What is the gypsies' latest wonder that they share with Jose Arcadio Buendia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of religion is not something that's overlooked in this novel. From the many spiritual advisers to the idea of alternative religions and belief systems, it seems the author is just as interested in creating confusion as he is interested in creating order. What does this novel seem to say about religion in general and its usefulness in family life, home life, and politics?
Essay Topic 2
How does the banana factory affect the town? Give specific examples as to how the factory affects the town structure, the families, the women, the men, and the progress of Macondo.
Essay Topic 3
The weather is another strong theme in this book, often changing along with the events in the story. Give specific examples of different weather patterns in this book as well as related examples of how the story is mirroring the weather, and vice versa.
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)