Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes fixated on Amaranta as a sexual object?
2. Where did Jose Arcadio Buendia and Ursula originally live?
3. Where is the story located?
4. When the town becomes infected with insomnia, what do they discover?
5. Who is the town's magistrate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the woman that Aureliano Segundo finally chooses?
2. What happens to the murderer of Aureliano Jose?
3. What has Melqunades left behind after his sudden death?
4. What are some of the odd behaviors of Remedios the Beauty?
5. How does the reader know that Colonel Aureliano Buendia has become distant?
6. How do Ursula and Jose Arcadio Buendia learn that Rebeca is related to them?
7. Describe Melqunades.
8. When Amaranta Ursula returns to Macondo, who does she bring with her?
9. What is Jose Arcadio Segundo doing as he's locked in the laboratory?
10. When a messenger arrives from the Liberal Revolutionary Forces, what does Arcadio do?
Essay Topic 1
Some readers find it confusing that this novel isn't told in chronological order. But could the story work any other way? Why does the refusal to stick to a straight timeline help the story be more accessible and more entertaining for the reader? Or would a chronological timeline be a stronger choice?
Essay Topic 2
Government seems to play a significant role in this novel. How does the government positively affect Macondo? How does the government negatively affect Macondo? Give at least two specific examples of each.
Essay Topic 3
For many characters in the book, they learn of their fate long before the fate comes to pass. Give three examples of how this has happened to characters in the novel, including a full description of the foreshadowing, the way the character reacted, and whether the fate came true.
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)