|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jose Arcadio Buendia invent to help with the plague?
2. Who decides to make gold fish?
3. Who is finally married?
4. What has the answer in #42 left behind?
5. Who realizes he has no valid cause to fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Aureliano Segundo.
2. Describe Jose Arcadio Segundo.
3. How many children does Santa Sofia de la Piedad have? And what are their names?
4. Who are identical twins?
5. What has Melqunades left behind after his sudden death?
6. Where has Jose Arcadio been? And how can he be described?
7. How does Amaranta raise her son Aureliano Jose, and why is this inappropriate?
8. Describe what is going to happen to Colonel Buendia in the not too distant past.
9. What horrible thing happens when Colonel Aureliano Buendia takes up a brief residence in Macondo again?
10. What makes Jose Arcadio Buendia and Ursula outcasts in their society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The town of Macondo changes throughout the course of the novel - describe the life cycle of this town from its beginnings, changes, and to its eventual end. Why do these changes make sense for the novel and for the town itself?
Essay Topic 2
A running theme in this novel is the idea of fantasy. Many characters do things and say things that aren't necessarily grounded in fact. Choose three examples of how the fantasy elements in this story affect the actions and the outcomes of the story.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters in this book take on lovers to help them with their loneliness, it seems. Describe the necessity of Pilar, Remedios the Beauty, Santa Sofia de la Piedad, and other women in the novel. What do they give to the lovers they take? What do these relationships take away from those who are in them?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)