|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who joins the revolutionary forces as a result of rejection?
2. Where is the story located?
3. Who is being sentenced to be shot to death?
4. What does Colonel Aureliano Buendia do when he visits the jail?
5. Who is the eleven-year-old girl who arrives at the Buendia house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who vies for the attention of Pietro Crespi?
2. What was Jose Arcadio Buendia's original profession?
3. What is the gypsies' latest wonder that they share with Jose Arcadio Buendia?
4. Describe Melqunades.
5. Who does Aureliano Buendia marry?
6. Describe Aureliano Segundo.
7. What is Colonel Aureliano Buendia's final request when he is caught and court martialed?
8. The plague of Rebeca spreads across the town - who helps to save the people?
9. Where has Jose Arcadio been? And how can he be described?
10. What makes Jose Arcadio Buendia and Ursula outcasts in their society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From the very beginning of this novel, the idea of time is an important theme. Because time seems to be cyclical in nature, it's difficult to tell when events happen - or if they even happen at all. Describe three events in the novel where time seems to affect the memory of the event as well as how time affects those involved in the event: the banana factory massacre, the political turn of events, and the deeds of Colonel Aureliano Buendia.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the climax of the banana factor massacre. What does this have to say about organized business? What does this have to say about someone coming into an isolated setting? Is this a metaphor for a larger issue that the family has to contend with?
Essay Topic 3
Men and women have vastly different parts to play in this novel. Using characters from each generation as examples, describe the role of men in this novel as well as the roles of women. How do they differ? How are they the same?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)