|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ursula attempt to sell with her girls?
2. Who is being sentenced to be shot to death?
3. What happens when Amaranta rejects Pietro?
4. Who is Aureliano passionately in love with?
5. When Moncada's widow doesn't let Colonel Aureliano Buendia in the door, what does he do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the ailments of Rebeca?
2. What is Colonel Aureliano Buendia's final request when he is caught and court martialed?
3. What does Colonel Aureliano Buendia do with his newfound solitude?
4. What happens to Pietro when Amaranta finally rejects his long proposal and courtship?
5. What happens to the murderer of Aureliano Jose?
6. How many illegitimate sons does Colonel Aureliano Buendia have and why?
7. Arcadio becomes enthralled with Pilar, but since they are related, when they are supposed to meet, Pilar sends someone else in her place - who?
8. How many children does Santa Sofia de la Piedad have? And what are their names?
9. What makes Jose Arcadio Buendia and Ursula outcasts in their society?
10. How do Ursula and Jose Arcadio Buendia learn that Rebeca is related to them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the climax of the banana factor massacre. What does this have to say about organized business? What does this have to say about someone coming into an isolated setting? Is this a metaphor for a larger issue that the family has to contend with?
Essay Topic 2
Again and again in the novel, a reader sees characters running away from their problems and running away from danger. List three examples in which this happens in the novel as well as why this choice works or doesn't work for the individual characters. Are the characters running out of self preservation or out of fear? Or is there another reason to run away?
Essay Topic 3
Men and women have vastly different parts to play in this novel. Using characters from each generation as examples, describe the role of men in this novel as well as the roles of women. How do they differ? How are they the same?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)