|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is a witness to a military executions that then scars him for life?
2. Who does the answer in #113 finally choose?
3. What is one of the first thing Ursula buys for her ever expanding home?
4. Who is outraged by the inbreeding and young marriages?
5. Who does Pietro proclaim his love for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the murderer of Aureliano Jose?
2. Describe Aureliano Segundo.
3. Arcadio becomes enthralled with Pilar, but since they are related, when they are supposed to meet, Pilar sends someone else in her place - who?
4. What happens when Gerineldo Mbrquez disagrees with the decision of Colonel Aureliano Buendia?
5. When Jose Arcadio Buendia becomes obsessed with mechanical animals, what do Aureliano and some townspeople do?
6. What does Colonel Aureliano Buendia begin to realize?
7. Why doesn't Colonel Aureliano Buendia die when he shoots himself through the chest?
8. How do Pilar Ternera and Jose Arcadio meet?
9. What has Melqunades left behind after his sudden death?
10. What happens to prevent the execution of Colonel Aureliano Buendia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From the very beginning of this novel, the idea of time is an important theme. Because time seems to be cyclical in nature, it's difficult to tell when events happen - or if they even happen at all. Describe three events in the novel where time seems to affect the memory of the event as well as how time affects those involved in the event: the banana factory massacre, the political turn of events, and the deeds of Colonel Aureliano Buendia.
Essay Topic 2
The idea of religion is not something that's overlooked in this novel. From the many spiritual advisers to the idea of alternative religions and belief systems, it seems the author is just as interested in creating confusion as he is interested in creating order. What does this novel seem to say about religion in general and its usefulness in family life, home life, and politics?
Essay Topic 3
Jose Arcadio Buendia and Ursula do not want to consummate their marriage. Why not? Are their fears practical? Why do they choose to consummate their marriage anyway?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)