|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is outraged by the inbreeding and young marriages?
2. What happens five months after Arcadio's execution?
3. Who leaves Macondo to join the revolution?
4. Who is tampering with Rebeca's impending wedding?
5. Who can see the future?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Aureliano Segundo.
2. What is Colonel Aureliano Buendia's final request when he is caught and court martialed?
3. What is so extraordinary about Jose Arcadio's anatomy, so much so that he gets the attention of many gypsies and even terrifies his own mother?
4. Why won't Ursula have sex with Jose?
5. How do Ursula and Jose Arcadio Buendia learn that Rebeca is related to them?
6. How does Ursula help to prevent the marriage of Rebeca and Pietro?
7. Where has Jose Arcadio been? And how can he be described?
8. When a messenger arrives from the Liberal Revolutionary Forces, what does Arcadio do?
9. What happens when Gerineldo Mbrquez disagrees with the decision of Colonel Aureliano Buendia?
10. How does the reader know that Colonel Aureliano Buendia has become distant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of religion is not something that's overlooked in this novel. From the many spiritual advisers to the idea of alternative religions and belief systems, it seems the author is just as interested in creating confusion as he is interested in creating order. What does this novel seem to say about religion in general and its usefulness in family life, home life, and politics?
Essay Topic 2
Men and women have vastly different parts to play in this novel. Using characters from each generation as examples, describe the role of men in this novel as well as the roles of women. How do they differ? How are they the same?
Essay Topic 3
The weather is another strong theme in this book, often changing along with the events in the story. Give specific examples of different weather patterns in this book as well as related examples of how the story is mirroring the weather, and vice versa.
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)