|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the final request of the person in #73?
2. Who returns home with crude manners and many tattoos?
3. Who realizes he has no valid cause to fight?
4. Who can see the future?
5. When Moncada's widow doesn't let Colonel Aureliano Buendia in the door, what does he do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What horrible thing happens when Colonel Aureliano Buendia takes up a brief residence in Macondo again?
2. Why doesn't Colonel Aureliano Buendia die when he shoots himself through the chest?
3. What does Colonel Aureliano Buendia begin to realize?
4. How do Pilar Ternera and Jose Arcadio meet?
5. What happens when Gerineldo Mbrquez disagrees with the decision of Colonel Aureliano Buendia?
6. What are some of the ailments of Rebeca?
7. The plague of Rebeca spreads across the town - who helps to save the people?
8. Describe Aureliano Segundo.
9. When a messenger arrives from the Liberal Revolutionary Forces, what does Arcadio do?
10. What makes Jose Arcadio Buendia and Ursula outcasts in their society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For many characters in the book, they learn of their fate long before the fate comes to pass. Give three examples of how this has happened to characters in the novel, including a full description of the foreshadowing, the way the character reacted, and whether the fate came true.
Essay Topic 2
Men and women have vastly different parts to play in this novel. Using characters from each generation as examples, describe the role of men in this novel as well as the roles of women. How do they differ? How are they the same?
Essay Topic 3
Jose Arcadio Buendia and Ursula do not want to consummate their marriage. Why not? Are their fears practical? Why do they choose to consummate their marriage anyway?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)