|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens five months after Arcadio's execution?
2. Who rejects the Buendia name?
3. What does Ursula use to cure Rebeca?
4. What happens to Arcadio after town violence erupts?
5. What does Ursula think about her husband's fascination with science?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Colonel Aureliano Buendia do with his newfound solitude?
2. What makes Jose Arcadio Buendia and Ursula outcasts in their society?
3. The plague of Rebeca spreads across the town - who helps to save the people?
4. What happens after Aureliano Jose after the rejection of his affections?
5. How do Pilar Ternera and Jose Arcadio meet?
6. What has Melqunades left behind after his sudden death?
7. What is so extraordinary about Jose Arcadio's anatomy, so much so that he gets the attention of many gypsies and even terrifies his own mother?
8. What are some of the ailments of Rebeca?
9. How many children does Santa Sofia de la Piedad have? And what are their names?
10. Why won't Ursula have sex with Jose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the banana factory affect the town? Give specific examples as to how the factory affects the town structure, the families, the women, the men, and the progress of Macondo.
Essay Topic 2
Men and women have vastly different parts to play in this novel. Using characters from each generation as examples, describe the role of men in this novel as well as the roles of women. How do they differ? How are they the same?
Essay Topic 3
Government seems to play a significant role in this novel. How does the government positively affect Macondo? How does the government negatively affect Macondo? Give at least two specific examples of each.
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)