|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Colonel Aureliano Buendia have so many illegitimate children?
2. Who is being sentenced to be shot to death?
3. How does the girl prove she is related to Jose Arcadio Buendia and Ursula?
4. What does Ursula use to cure Rebeca?
5. What causes Jose Arcadio Buendia to stop believing in God?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Colonel Aureliano Buendia's final request when he is caught and court martialed?
2. What happens after Aureliano Jose after the rejection of his affections?
3. Describe what is going to happen to Colonel Buendia in the not too distant past.
4. Where has Jose Arcadio been? And how can he be described?
5. Describe Aureliano Segundo.
6. How does the reader know that Colonel Aureliano Buendia has become distant?
7. What does Colonel Aureliano Buendia begin to realize?
8. When Jose Arcadio Buendia becomes obsessed with mechanical animals, what do Aureliano and some townspeople do?
9. How many children does Santa Sofia de la Piedad have? And what are their names?
10. What other event prevents Rebeca and Pietro's wedding from happening?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Government seems to play a significant role in this novel. How does the government positively affect Macondo? How does the government negatively affect Macondo? Give at least two specific examples of each.
Essay Topic 2
For many characters in the book, they learn of their fate long before the fate comes to pass. Give three examples of how this has happened to characters in the novel, including a full description of the foreshadowing, the way the character reacted, and whether the fate came true.
Essay Topic 3
Why is the parchment so important for the characters in the book? What makes this parchment something important to the family? What happens when the parchment is finally deciphered? Who is the one who deciphers it? Why is it so important that this character be the one who deciphers the parchment?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)