|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Arcadio after town violence erupts?
2. Who is being sentenced to be shot to death?
3. Who is the new leader of Macondo as a result of #91?
4. How many children do Jose Arcadio and Ursula have?
5. How does the girl prove she is related to Jose Arcadio Buendia and Ursula?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Ursula and Jose Arcadio Buendia learn that Rebeca is related to them?
2. What is the gypsies' latest wonder that they share with Jose Arcadio Buendia?
3. How many children does Santa Sofia de la Piedad have? And what are their names?
4. What other event prevents Rebeca and Pietro's wedding from happening?
5. Describe Jose Arcadio Segundo.
6. What is Colonel Aureliano Buendia's final request when he is caught and court martialed?
7. When Jose Arcadio Buendia becomes obsessed with mechanical animals, what do Aureliano and some townspeople do?
8. How do Pilar Ternera and Jose Arcadio meet?
9. What happens to the murderer of Aureliano Jose?
10. What happens to Pietro when Amaranta finally rejects his long proposal and courtship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Government seems to play a significant role in this novel. How does the government positively affect Macondo? How does the government negatively affect Macondo? Give at least two specific examples of each.
Essay Topic 2
Why is the parchment so important for the characters in the book? What makes this parchment something important to the family? What happens when the parchment is finally deciphered? Who is the one who deciphers it? Why is it so important that this character be the one who deciphers the parchment?
Essay Topic 3
Again and again in the novel, a reader sees characters running away from their problems and running away from danger. List three examples in which this happens in the novel as well as why this choice works or doesn't work for the individual characters. Are the characters running out of self preservation or out of fear? Or is there another reason to run away?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)