|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who needs a ten foot circle drawn around him?
2. Why does Colonel Aureliano Buendia have so many illegitimate children?
3. Who is the first unofficial mayor of Macondo?
4. What does Aureliano have to wait for before he can be with the answer of #40?
5. When the town becomes infected with insomnia, what do they discover?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Colonel Aureliano Buendia leaves Macondo, who takes his place? Describe this leader's leadership style.
2. What happens to prevent the execution of Colonel Aureliano Buendia?
3. What happens to Pietro when Amaranta finally rejects his long proposal and courtship?
4. How does the reader know that Colonel Aureliano Buendia has become distant?
5. Describe Melqunades.
6. What happens to the murderer of Aureliano Jose?
7. What is the gypsies' latest wonder that they share with Jose Arcadio Buendia?
8. Why doesn't Colonel Aureliano Buendia die when he shoots himself through the chest?
9. Describe Aureliano Segundo.
10. Describe Jose Arcadio Segundo.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jose Arcadio Buendia and Ursula do not want to consummate their marriage. Why not? Are their fears practical? Why do they choose to consummate their marriage anyway?
Essay Topic 2
The love that is described in this novel is a bit different from most readers' traditional ideas about love. It seems the family is quite hindered by their lack of ability to love. Describe three reasons why the Buendia family might have had such a hard time creating love in their lives.
Essay Topic 3
A running theme in this novel is the idea of fantasy. Many characters do things and say things that aren't necessarily grounded in fact. Choose three examples of how the fantasy elements in this story affect the actions and the outcomes of the story.
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)