|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which symphony's open rehearsal are Nathan and Coleman attending?
2. Despite a broken __________ and a tattoo from his experience, Coleman survived.
3. Who does Coleman stop spending time with after July, though the other person does not know why?
4. What did Coleman visit in Norfolk while he was in the military, causing him to be recognized for his heritage?
5. How many chairs are left empty in the field to show how many guys who died from Pittsfield?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the complaint that Coleman refused to listen to from a student, which made Delphine an adversary?
2. What happens to the personal ad Delphine sends out in order to find love?
3. How does Nathan encounter Coleman and Faunia at the open rehearsal of the Boston Symphony?
4. What does Coleman think when he sees the members of the Elderhostel classes walking to the dining hall?
5. What is one of the lessons that Les has to endure as a part of his new therapy with a fellow Vietnam vet?
6. What is the rumor that Jeff tells Coleman Lisa has heard, causing the rift in their relationship?
7. What does Faunia end up doing with the ring Coleman gave to her?
8. What does Les think he has to do in order to be able to feel things again?
9. What did Coleman tell his children about his own parents when his children were much younger?
10. Why did Coleman decide to never tell his children or his wife about his racial heritage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even in his darkest times, with rumors swirling about him, no one seems to stick up for Coleman.
Part 1: Why do you think none of his academic colleagues stood up for Coleman?
Part 2: Why do you think Coleman's children instantly believed the rumors instead of giving their father a chance to explain?
Part 3: Do you think anyone likes Coleman enough to help him? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
When it's discovered that Faunia has a diary, it seems that her claims of illiteracy may not be true.
Part 1: Why would someone hide the fact that they could read?
Part 2: Why do you think that Faunia decided to pretend that she was illiterate?
Part 3: Why do you think Coleman never realized Faunia was indeed literate?
Essay Topic 3
One's history is often the driving force in one's present day actions and decisions.
Part 1: Do you think Coleman is driven by his past? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think Les is somehow driven by his past? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the past should influence decision making? Why or why not?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)