|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Coleman's father believed that education was the more important thing in life, especially for a __________.
2. Who calls up Coleman and forbids him from ever contacting the family again?
3. What kind of Classics teacher is Delphine Roux, the one who helped Coleman Silk with his investigation?
4. On the day she died, Iris was in perfect health aside from a __________ that would not leave her alone.
5. Coleman realizes that if he had taken the more _________ Steena to his house, things might have gone better.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Coleman reveal to Iris his racial background when they are getting married?
2. Describe Iris' health on the day that she died, according to the book's description.
3. What happened during the course of the investigation into Coleman Silk's accusations?
4. What did Coleman do on the day he went to the funeral parlor to make arrangements for a funeral?
5. What is the problem with Nathan's health which has changed him forever?
6. What does the lawyer tell Coleman in regards to the restraining order against Farley?
7. What does Ellie do when Coleman reveals to her his racial background?
8. What makes Iris a strong woman, according to the descriptions in the book?
9. What is Coleman's religious background and why is this an important detail to note?
10. What did the nice letter that Coleman found in his personal belongings say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One's history is often the driving force in one's present day actions and decisions.
Part 1: Do you think Coleman is driven by his past? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think Les is somehow driven by his past? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the past should influence decision making? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Coleman's determination to live a life the way he wanted to live it had effects on everyone, even if that wasn't his intention.
Part 1: Why do you think Coleman was all right with the idea that his family basically disowned him?
Part 2: Why do you think that Coleman decided to choose to be white instead of black?
Part 3: How do you think Coleman's friends would have reacted had they known he was part black?
Essay Topic 3
Delphine is an interesting character, one who seems to want to help Coleman and yet hurt him, too.
Part 1: Why do you think the Delphine is so quick to attack Coleman?
Part 2: Do you believe Delphine might have feelings toward Coleman? Why or why not?
Part 3: What do you think might happen if Delphine were to confess her true feelings about Coleman?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)