|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Iris' father never married her mother because he is highly distrustful of ____________.
2. What did Coleman Silk do first as a boy when he went to Newark Boys Club in his neighborhood?
3. Where has Lester Farley already tried to get help after his service in the military?
4. Who asked Coleman's family to encourage Coleman to do less well in a few classes?
5. As a result of the problem in the classroom, Coleman decides to return to the __________ and to resign as the dean.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened on the day that Nathan found Coleman in only his shorts?
2. What does the lawyer tell Coleman in regards to the restraining order against Farley?
3. What does Doc Chizner tell Coleman not to tell the Pitt coach when he is applying for a scholarship?
4. How does Coleman reveal his family secret to the woman he loves while he's in college?
5. Why were Iris' parents never officially married, though they conceived and raised Iris as their daughter?
6. What does Ellie do when Coleman reveals to her his racial background?
7. How does Coleman reveal to Iris his racial background when they are getting married?
8. What makes Iris a strong woman, according to the descriptions in the book?
9. Describe Iris' health on the day that she died, according to the book's description.
10. What does the doctor who visits Coleman's family when Coleman is in high school want from Coleman and his family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Race is a large part of this story, even when it isn't directly discussed. But race becomes the motivating force behind many decisions.
Part 1: How is race defined within this story by its characters?
Part 2: Is race only a matter of the color of one's skin? Why or why not?
Part 3: If you could change the way you look to others, would you? Would you present yourself as a different race? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Coleman's determination to live a life the way he wanted to live it had effects on everyone, even if that wasn't his intention.
Part 1: Why do you think Coleman was all right with the idea that his family basically disowned him?
Part 2: Why do you think that Coleman decided to choose to be white instead of black?
Part 3: How do you think Coleman's friends would have reacted had they known he was part black?
Essay Topic 3
The shame Coleman seems to feel about his background causes him to hide from his life and from others.
Part 1: Why do you think Coleman decides not to tell Iris about his family background?
Part 2: Do you think Coleman made the right decision in not telling anyone about his racial background? Why or why not?
Part 3: What might have happened had Coleman not hidden from his racial background?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)