|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would happen if Coleman decided to do poorly in a few classes?
(a) The other family's son would be valedictorian.
(b) He would fail out of school.
(c) He could go to Harvard.
(d) He would get a new house.
2. What does Coleman Silk receive that tells him that others know about his affair with a younger woman?
(a) A bouquet of flowers.
(b) An email.
(c) An envelope of pictures.
(d) A letter in the mail.
3. What did Coleman Silk do first as a boy when he went to Newark Boys Club in his neighborhood?
(a) Play hoops.
(b) Hide and read.
4. What does Coleman sign on to buy from the farm in order to see Faunia every week?
5. What does Coleman do when he realizes that the woman from the Midwest is someone he wants to be with forever?
(a) Breaks up with her.
(b) Tells her he wants to marry her.
(c) Proposes to her.
(d) Takes her to Sunday dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Coleman suffer for the first time upon his arrival at Howard College?
2. What kind of school did Coleman's father attend which led to his owning his own shop?
3. How many days does Coleman wait before seeing Faunia after the incident with her husband stalking her?
4. At what college did Coleman Silk teach before his hasty departure from the college?
5. ____________ was also an abstract painter and a poet.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the current and past status of Coleman Silk's employment in this novel?
2. What does Coleman do after his father dies when he is a student at Howard?
3. What did Coleman do on the day he went to the funeral parlor to make arrangements for a funeral?
4. What makes Iris a strong woman, according to the descriptions in the book?
5. What happened during the course of the investigation into Coleman Silk's accusations?
6. What is Coleman's religious background and why is this an important detail to note?
7. Why did Coleman and Iris marry if they were complete opposites without passion for each other?
8. What does Doc Chizner tell Coleman not to tell the Pitt coach when he is applying for a scholarship?
9. How does Coleman reveal his family secret to the woman he loves while he's in college?
10. What does Ellie do when Coleman reveals to her his racial background?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)