|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The electric energy that stimulates the heart occurs where?
2. Horace Giddens is a character in a play written by whom?
3. From what author does the following quote come that opens the Introduction: “… death hath ten thousand several doors / For men to make their exits”?
4. The human heart has a mass between how many grams?
5. Dr. Nuland compares the metabolic changes of aging to what in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the progression of Alzheimer’s in Chapter 5?
2. How does the author describe the metabolic changes of aging in Chapter 3?
3. What differences does the author cite between the young and the old in dealing with the seven causes of death in Chapter 4?
4. What medical progress has been made in the diagnosis and treatment of Alzheimer’s disease, according to the author in Chapter 5?
5. What seven primary causes of death does the author cite for elderly patients in Chapter 4?
6. How does the author explain man’s need for oxygen in Chapter 6?
7. What does the author beseech of the reader in his Introduction to How We Die?
8. What is related of Irv Lipsiner in Chapter 1? What was Lipsiner’s medical history?
9. How does the author begin his Introduction? What does he say of the primary avenues leading to death in this section of the book?
10. How is “legal death” defined by the author in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the mythology of dying. What authors, mythologies and religions does the author cite in his discussion of rituals and customs surrounding death? How has death been perceived by different cultures? Are any of these customs and beliefs considered more attainable than others? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the major viruses affecting humankind as well as the discovery of the virus and its components. When was the first virus discovered? How? How do viruses replicate? What are common, nonlethal viruses? What are the most deadly viruses?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the works of William Osler and Lewis Thomas. What theories and philosophies did these individuals present? What were the Ingersoll Lectures? Why does the author view the philosophies of William Osler and Lewis Thomas to be deceiving?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)