|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Sherwin B. Nuland, M.D. and his family currently live, according to the Introduction?
(a) Augusta, Maine.
(b) Providence, Rhode Island.
(c) Hamden, Connecticut.
(d) Utica, New York.
2. Dr. Nuland relates that cardiac events are what, if discovered soon enough in Chapter 1?
(a) “Officially treatable.”
(b) “Technically treatable.”
(c) “Eminently treatable.”
(d) “Physically treatable.”
3. What poet is quoted by the author in the Introduction with the line, “Oh Lord, give each of us his own death”?
(a) Rainer Maria Rilke.
(b) Dr. Kenneth Ring.
(d) Charles Kingsley.
4. At what age had Irv Lipsiner suffered a small heart attack, according to the author in Chapter 1?
5. How old was the author when his mother died of cancer?
Short Answer Questions
1. From what author does the following quote come that opens the Introduction: “… death hath ten thousand several doors / For men to make their exits”?
2. How many of the most common disease categories does the author intend to focus on, according to the Introduction?
3. All but how many names were changed in the stories shared by the author in How We Die: Reflections on Life's Final Chapter?
4. While in the midst of doing his admission paperwork, Dr. Nuland observed James McCarty begin to do what, according to the author in Chapter 1?
5. Irv Lipsiner is described as an athlete and what in Chapter 1?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)