|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Latin term does the author use to describe the “art of dying” in the Introduction?
(b) Sub divo.
(d) Manibus date liliaplenis.
2. How many years had Dr. Nuland spent in the medical profession when How We Die: Reflections on Life's Final Chapter was published?
(a) Over 40.
(b) Over 20.
(c) Over 30.
(d) Over 50.
3. Dr. Nuland relates that cardiac events are what, if discovered soon enough in Chapter 1?
(a) “Physically treatable.”
(b) “Officially treatable.”
(c) “Eminently treatable.”
(d) “Technically treatable.”
4. What poet is quoted by the author in the Introduction with the line, “Oh Lord, give each of us his own death”?
(a) Charles Kingsley.
(c) Dr. Kenneth Ring.
(d) Rainer Maria Rilke.
5. What was the profession of James McCarty?
(a) A plumber.
(b) An auto mechanic.
(c) A construction executive.
(d) A real estate agent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the university hospital where Dr. Nuland worked when James McCarty was admitted?
2. What does Dr. Nuland discuss that is also called also called coronary artery or coronary heart disease in Chapter 1?
3. According to the author in the Introduction, “Everyone wants to know the details of dying, though few are willing to” what?
4. What fifteenth century printer is quoted in the Introduction as having described the art of dying as “the craft for to deye for the helthe of mannessowle”?
5. How old was the woman that the author described having operated on for early-stage breast cancer in the Introduction?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)