|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What poet is quoted by the author in the Introduction with the line, “Oh Lord, give each of us his own death”?
(a) Dr. Kenneth Ring.
(b) Charles Kingsley.
(c) Rainer Maria Rilke.
2. At what age had Irv Lipsiner suffered a small heart attack, according to the author in Chapter 1?
3. What was the name of the university hospital where Dr. Nuland worked when James McCarty was admitted?
(a) The Shriner's Hospital.
(b) St. Paul's Hospital.
(c) St. Joseph’s Hospital.
(d) The Yale-New Haven Hospital.
4. According to the Introduction author Sherwin B. Nuland, M.D. is the literary editor of what periodical?
(a) The East Coast Journal of Medicine.
(b) The Journal of Atlantic Medicine.
(c) Connecticut Medicine.
(d) The New York Medical Review.
5. How many years had Dr. Nuland spent in the medical profession when How We Die: Reflections on Life's Final Chapter was published?
(a) Over 50.
(b) Over 30.
(c) Over 20.
(d) Over 40.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. Nuland was in what year of his medical studies when he encountered James McCarty?
2. What medical procedure did Dr. Nuland perform on James McCarty, according to the author in Chapter 1?
3. At the time the book was written, Dr. Nuland claimed that nearly how many Americans would die every day of ischemia?
4. According to the author in the Introduction, “Everyone wants to know the details of dying, though few are willing to” what?
5. What is the title of Chapter 1?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)