|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lawrence Selden tell Lily about the Dorsets' possible divorce?
(a) They want to divorce immediately.
(b) They will wait until they return home to finalize their divorce.
(c) They have made up and probably won't divorce.
(d) They both blame Lily for forcing them to consider divorce.
2. What does Simon Rosedale think about Lily's reaction to his suggestion of what she should do with the letters she purchased from Lawrence Selden's cleaning woman?
(a) He thinks she is tired of dealing with the situation.
(b) He thinks it is because she loves Lawrence Selden.
(c) He thinks it is because she doesn't trust Simon Rosedale.
(d) He thinks it is because she still wants the Dorsets as friends.
3. What causes Lily's insomnia?
(a) She is worried about Bertha Dorset.
(b) Her surroundings are noisy.
(c) The women at her job have threatened her life.
(d) She worries about her debt to Gus Trenor.
4. What does George Dorset decide to do after Lily finds him upset on her way back to the yacht?
(a) Speak to Lawrence Selden.
(b) Speak to Bertha.
(c) Ask Gus Trenor for a loan.
(d) Send Lily back to New York.
5. Why does Lily go to Alaska?
(a) Wealthy distant relatives of Lily live in Alaska.
(b) Carry Fischer suggests that Lily find a new place to start over.
(c) Carry Fischer suggests Lily take her place with Carry Fischer's new family.
(d) Carry Fischer suggests there will be wealthy bachelors on the trip.
6. In book 2, chapter 10, how does Lily react to Simon Rosedale's offer of help ?
(a) She asks for time to think about it.
(b) She refuses.
(c) She laughs at him.
(d) She tearfully and gratefully accepts.
7. How does Lily respond to what Simon Rosedale suggests she do with the letters she purchased from Lawrence Selden's cleaning woman?
(a) She laughs at the idea.
(b) She becomes angry and walks away from Simon Rosedale.
(c) She refuses to consider his idea.
(d) She agrees that it is a good idea.
8. In book 1, chapter 15, how does Lily respond to Simon Rosedale's marriage proposal ?
(a) She flatly refuses.
(b) She immediately accepts it.
(c) She laughs at him.
(d) She asks for time to think about it.
9. What happens in book 1, chapter 15, as Lily is about to accept Simon Rosedale's marriage proposal?
(a) She accepts an invitation from the Dorsets to cruise the Mediterranean.
(b) Lawrence Selden proposes to Lily.
(c) Lily's aunt discovers the truth about Lily's debt and asks her to leave the house.
(d) Drunk, Gus Trenor shows up at Lily's door.
10. What is Lily's alternative to her new position?
(a) The run-down hotel in which she previously resided.
(b) Marriage to George Dorset.
(c) Working as a cleaning woman in an orphanage.
(d) Working for Gus Trenor.
11. Why does Lawrence Selden spend so much time working since he visited the Trenor home three months ago?
(a) Lawrence Selden is Mrs. Trenor's divorce lawyer.
(b) He and Gus Trenor are involved in a real estate business deal.
(c) Lawrence Selden is working to pay off Lily's debt to Gus Trenor.
(d) To get over Lily.
12. What does Lily do because she doesn't have a job?
(a) She visits the friends in her new social circle.
(b) She volunteers at a soup kitchen.
(c) She sits in her shabby room and stares out the window.
(d) She takes walks.
13. In book 2, chapter 8, what does Lawrence Selden find when he goes to see Lily at her hotel?
(a) George Dorset is visiting Lily.
(b) A large group of friends from Lily's new social circle is visiting her.
(c) Lily attempted suicide.
(d) Lily is gone.
14. What does George Dorset ask Lily to do while at the Gormers?
(a) Renew her friendship with Bertha Dorset.
(b) Marry him.
(c) Defend herself against Bertha's gossip.
(d) Return to New York City to get away from Bertha.
15. What type of work does Carry Fischer find for Lily?
(a) Bank secretary.
(b) Social secretary.
(c) Executive secretary.
(d) Social worker.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lily fare at her new job?
2. In book 2, chapter 12, what experience with Lawrence Selden does Lily say she will always remember?
3. Who does Lily visit the morning after Simon Rosedale makes his offer to her?
4. In book 2, chapter 2, who does Lily decide to become friends with after Carry Fischer warns Lily about her behavior the previous night ?
5. What does Lily realize about the decisions she makes regarding Simon Rosedale and Bertha Dorset when she wakes up the morning after Simon Rosedale makes his offer to her?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)