|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Lily visit the morning after Simon Rosedale makes his offer to her?
(a) Lawrence Selden.
(b) Simon Rosedale.
(c) Gus Trenor.
(d) Bertha Dorset.
2. How does Gerty Farish feel about Lily's trip to Alaska?
(a) She encourages Lily to go.
(b) She disapproves.
(c) She doesn't voice her opinion.
(d) She is envious of Lily.
3. At four o'clock in the afternoon, who is supposed to visit Lily, but doesn't show ?
(a) Gerty Farish.
(b) Simon Rosedale.
(c) Gus Trenor.
(d) Lawrence Selden.
4. Why does Lawrence Selden spend so much time working since he visited the Trenor home three months ago?
(a) Lawrence Selden is working to pay off Lily's debt to Gus Trenor.
(b) To get over Lily.
(c) Lawrence Selden is Mrs. Trenor's divorce lawyer.
(d) He and Gus Trenor are involved in a real estate business deal.
5. In book 2, chapter 9, what does Lawrence Selden want Lily to do regarding her new position and living situation?
(a) Quit and move in with Gerty Farish.
(b) Continue the work and move to a more desirable location.
(c) Quit and marry him.
(d) Continue the work and keep her current living arrangements.
6. Why does Lily decide she can't give Bertha Dorset the letters that Bertha and Lawrence Selden wrote to each other?
(a) She doesn't want to betray Bertha Dorset.
(b) Lily can't betray Lawrence Selden.
(c) She is afraid the letters will create a relationship between Bertha Dorset and Lawrence Selden.
(d) She is afraid of revenge from Bertha Dorset.
7. Why is George Dorset at the Gormer's home at the same time Lily was there?
(a) The Gormers are having a party.
(b) Lily asked him to come.
(c) George Dorset is involved in a business deal with Mr. Gormer.
(d) Bertha Dorset is visiting Mrs. Gormer.
8. In book 2, chapter 12, what experience with Lawrence Selden does Lily say she will always remember?
(a) Seeing each other in Europe.
(b) Seeing each other at the wedding of Lily's cousin, Jack Stepney.
(c) Meeting at the train on the way to Bellomont.
(d) Their conversation at Bellomont.
9. In book 2, chapter 11, why doesn't Lily have a job?
(a) She was fired.
(b) She quit.
(c) The place at which she worked closed down.
(d) She took a leave of absence.
10. What is the emotional atmosphere on the yacht when rumors of Bertha and Ned Silverton, and Lily and George are have spread?
11. What does Lily receive when she returns home after leaving Nettie Struther?
(a) An eviction notice for not paying the rent.
(b) A delivery of additional sleeping medication from the chemist.
(c) A long letter from Simon Rosedale begging her to marry him.
(d) Her inheritance check for $10,000.
12. At the beginning of book 2, chapter 13, how does Lily feel about the decisions she made regarding Simon Rosedale and Bertha Dorset?
13. In Carry Fischer's opinion, what will George Dorset do if he finds out his wife is having an affair?
(a) He will marry Lily.
(b) He will kill Bertha.
(c) He will kill Bertha's lover.
(d) He will ask Lawrence Selden to represent him in the divorce.
14. What does Lily confess to Lawrence Selden in book 2, chapter 12?
(a) Her need for wealth, material possessions, and social status.
(b) She realizes too late that she loves him.
(c) Her financial arrangement with Gus Trenor.
(d) She never really loved him.
15. What does Simon Rosedale tell Lily to do with the letters she purchased from Lawrence Selden's cleaning woman?
(a) Give the letters back to Lawrence Selden.
(b) Use the letters to blackmail George and Bertha Dorset into clearing her name.
(c) Burn the letters.
(d) Give the letters to him for safekeeping.
Short Answer Questions
1. In book 2, chapter 3, how does Bertha betray Lily at the end of the dinner party ?
2. What is Lily's alternative to her new position?
3. What happens in book 1, chapter 15, as Lily is about to accept Simon Rosedale's marriage proposal?
4. Why is George Dorset upset when Lily meets him on her way back to the yacht from the casino?
5. On what terms does Lily want to part with Simon Rosedale in book 2, chapter 7?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)