|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lily ultimately do with the letters between Bertha Dorset and Lawrence Selden?
(a) She hides the letters on a shelf.
(b) She gives the letters to Simon Rosedale for safekeeping.
(c) She burns the letters.
(d) She gives the letters back to Lawrence Selden.
2. What does the exhaustion and the stress of the day cause Lily to do when she tries to sleep the night she visited Nettie Struther?
(a) She speaks to the chemist about strengthening her sleeping medication.
(b) She increases the dosage of the sleeping medication.
(c) She steals another prescription for the sleeping medication.
(d) She renews her prescription for the sleeping medication.
3. In book 1, chapter 15, how does Lily respond to Simon Rosedale's marriage proposal ?
(a) She flatly refuses.
(b) She immediately accepts it.
(c) She laughs at him.
(d) She asks for time to think about it.
4. Other than a vacation from work, why is Lawrence Selden in Monte Carlo in book 2, chapter 1?
(a) To close an important business deal.
(b) To meet a group from the New York City social circle.
(c) To get over Lily.
(d) To find Lily and persuade her to marry him.
5. In book 2, chapter 2, who does Lily decide to become friends with after Carry Fischer warns Lily about her behavior the previous night ?
(a) The Duchess.
(c) Mrs. Bry.
(d) Ned Silverton.
6. What is Lily concerned about when she wakes up at Gerty's the morning after her argument with Gus Trenor?
(a) She is worried that she will miss her meeting with Lawrence Selden.
(b) She is concerned that she will be seen leaving Gerty's which could risk her social standing.
(c) She is concerned that Gerty will think that Lily is now her best friend.
(d) She is worried that her aunt noticed that she was not home.
7. In book 1, chapter 1, what concerns Lawrence Selden and Lord Hubert Dacey about Lily?
(a) Her travel plans.
(b) Her future husband.
(c) Her financial situation.
(d) Her moral health.
8. How does Lily relate Ned Silverton's situation with Bertha Dorset to her own life?
(a) Lily is afraid she will become poor and need to support herself.
(b) Lily is excited that she is now free to marry George Dorset.
(c) Lily thinks it is quite romantic and wishes the same from her future husband.
(d) Lily is relieved that Ned Silverton occupies Bertha's time, so Bertha leaves Lily alone.
9. In Carry Fischer's opinion, what will George Dorset do if he finds out his wife is having an affair?
(a) He will marry Lily.
(b) He will ask Lawrence Selden to represent him in the divorce.
(c) He will kill Bertha's lover.
(d) He will kill Bertha.
10. Who does Lily visit the morning after Simon Rosedale makes his offer to her?
(a) Gus Trenor.
(b) Bertha Dorset.
(c) Simon Rosedale.
(d) Lawrence Selden.
11. When does Mrs. Gormer's attitude change toward Lily?
(a) When Lily announces she is returning to New York City.
(b) When Mrs. Gormer discovers Lily asked George Dorset to come to their house.
(c) When Lily forgets to send a party invitation to an important member of their social circle.
(d) After Bertha Dorset speaks with Mrs. Gormer.
12. What is Lily's alternative to her new position?
(a) Working for Gus Trenor.
(b) Working as a cleaning woman in an orphanage.
(c) Marriage to George Dorset.
(d) The run-down hotel in which she previously resided.
13. When Lily sits in the park to rest, what is she thinking about her sleep medication?
(a) She is concerned about her addiction.
(b) She is afraid the chemist will discontinue the prescription.
(c) She is afraid Mrs. Hatch will discover that she stole the prescription.
(d) She is worried that it is no longer working.
14. When Lily finds Simon Rosedale waiting for her at her room in book 2, chapter 11, what does he offer Lily?
(a) A job working for him.
(b) A new place to live.
(c) A loan to repay Gus Trenor.
(d) Intevening for her with Bertha Dorset.
15. In book 2, chapter 8, what does Lawrence Selden find when he goes to see Lily at her hotel?
(a) Lily is gone.
(b) George Dorset is visiting Lily.
(c) Lily attempted suicide.
(d) A large group of friends from Lily's new social circle is visiting her.
Short Answer Questions
1. At four o'clock in the afternoon, who is supposed to visit Lily, but doesn't show ?
2. How does Lily feel in her new position in book 2, chapter 9?
3. In book 2, chapter 2, how does Bertha Dorset intend to clear her own name regarding the rumors about her and Ned Silverton?
4. In book 2, chapter 5, why does Carry Fischer apologize to Lily ?
5. What is Lily's reaction after aunt's will is read?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)