|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is George Dorset upset when Lily meets him on her way back to the yacht from the casino?
(a) Bertha and Ned Silverton did not come back to the yacht until morning.
(b) The bank foreclosed on the yacht.
(c) Bertha asked George for a divorce.
(d) He is afraid Bertha will hear the rumor about him and Lily.
2. In book 2, chapter 5, why does Carry Fischer apologize to Lily ?
(a) For not defending her to Bertha Dorset.
(b) For telling Lawrence Selden about the situation with the Italian prince in Europe.
(c) For having lunch alone with Lawrence Selden in Monte Carlo.
(d) For making Lily take care of the Welly Brys.
3. Why does Lawrence Selden spend so much time working since he visited the Trenor home three months ago?
(a) He and Gus Trenor are involved in a real estate business deal.
(b) To get over Lily.
(c) Lawrence Selden is Mrs. Trenor's divorce lawyer.
(d) Lawrence Selden is working to pay off Lily's debt to Gus Trenor.
4. In book 2, chapter 8, what does the situation with Bertha Dorset cause Ned Silverton to do?
(a) Ned spends all his money on expensive gifts for Bertha.
(b) Ned commits suicide.
(c) Ned resorts to gambling and causes his family to look for ways to support themselves.
(d) Ned threatens George Dorset.
5. In book 2, chapter 2, who does Lily decide to become friends with after Carry Fischer warns Lily about her behavior the previous night ?
(b) Ned Silverton.
(c) Mrs. Bry.
(d) The Duchess.
6. Why does Nettie Struther invite Lily to her home after seeing Lily in the park?
(a) Nettie wants Lily to see how well she has done.
(b) Lily wants to see Nettie's husband.
(c) Lily looks ill.
(d) Nettie needs help caring for her house and child.
7. What is the emotional atmosphere on the yacht when rumors of Bertha and Ned Silverton, and Lily and George are have spread?
8. Who does Lily visit the morning after Simon Rosedale makes his offer to her?
(a) Gus Trenor.
(b) Lawrence Selden.
(c) Bertha Dorset.
(d) Simon Rosedale.
9. In book 2, chapter 9, what is the condition of Lily's surroundings when she begins her new job?
10. What problem does Lily forget about as she spends time in Europe?
(a) Her aunt's disappointment in her.
(b) Her situation with Lawrence Selden.
(c) Her troubles with Gus Trenor.
(d) Simon Rosedale's marriage proposal.
11. What does Simon Rosedale think about Lily's reaction to his suggestion of what she should do with the letters she purchased from Lawrence Selden's cleaning woman?
(a) He thinks it is because she doesn't trust Simon Rosedale.
(b) He thinks it is because she still wants the Dorsets as friends.
(c) He thinks she is tired of dealing with the situation.
(d) He thinks it is because she loves Lawrence Selden.
12. What problem does Lily develop because of her insomnia?
(a) Drug addiction.
(b) Falling asleep around dangerous machinery at her job.
(c) Memory loss.
(d) Severe mood swings.
13. What happens in book 1, chapter 15, as Lily is about to accept Simon Rosedale's marriage proposal?
(a) She accepts an invitation from the Dorsets to cruise the Mediterranean.
(b) Drunk, Gus Trenor shows up at Lily's door.
(c) Lawrence Selden proposes to Lily.
(d) Lily's aunt discovers the truth about Lily's debt and asks her to leave the house.
14. How does Lily react to Bertha's betrayal of her at the dinner party ?
(a) She laughs at Bertha's feeble attempt to blame Lily for her problems.
(b) She calmly asks Lawrence Selden to walk with her to her cab.
(c) She attempts to defend herself.
(d) She bursts into tears and flees the party.
15. How does Lily feel when she wakes up on the Dorset's yacht the morning after she sees Lawrence Selden in Nice?
(a) Ashamed of herself.
(b) Frightened of George Dorset.
(c) Proud of herself.
(d) Envious of Bertha Dorset.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lawrence Selden tell Lily about the Dorsets' possible divorce?
2. What does Gerty Farish tell Ned Silverton's relatives about his relationship with Bertha Dorset?
3. Who does Lily see at Carry Fischer's home playing with her daughter one evening?
4. In book 2, chapter 12, what experience with Lawrence Selden does Lily say she will always remember?
5. When does Mrs. Gormer's attitude change toward Lily?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)