|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lily tell her aunt the debt is for?
(a) A vacation.
2. In book 2, chapter 2, who does Lily decide to become friends with after Carry Fischer warns Lily about her behavior the previous night ?
(b) Ned Silverton.
(c) Mrs. Bry.
(d) The Duchess.
3. In book 2, chapter 6, what does Carry Fischer tell Lily about Bertha Dorset ?
(a) Bertha Dorset is interested in becoming friends with Lily again.
(b) Bertha Dorset will lose everything if George Dorset divorces her.
(c) Bertha Dorset is gossiping about Lily to the Gormers.
(d) Lily should attempt to mend her relationship with Bertha Dorset.
4. When Lily finds Simon Rosedale waiting for her at her room in book 2, chapter 11, what does he offer Lily?
(a) A loan to repay Gus Trenor.
(b) A new place to live.
(c) Intevening for her with Bertha Dorset.
(d) A job working for him.
5. What does Simon Rosedale tell Lily to do with the letters she purchased from Lawrence Selden's cleaning woman?
(a) Give the letters back to Lawrence Selden.
(b) Use the letters to blackmail George and Bertha Dorset into clearing her name.
(c) Burn the letters.
(d) Give the letters to him for safekeeping.
6. Which friend remains faithful to Lily after her aunt dies?
(a) George Dorset.
(b) Gerty Farish.
(c) Bertha Dorset.
(d) Judy Trenor.
7. When Lily returns from Alaska, what advice does Carry Fischer give her ?
(a) Lily needs to tell everyone the truth about what happened in Europe.
(b) Lily needs to stay away from George Dorset.
(c) Lily must marry as soon as possible.
(d) Lily must pay back her loan to Gus Trenor as soon as possible.
8. What is Lily concerned about when she wakes up at Gerty's the morning after her argument with Gus Trenor?
(a) She is worried that her aunt noticed that she was not home.
(b) She is worried that she will miss her meeting with Lawrence Selden.
(c) She is concerned that Gerty will think that Lily is now her best friend.
(d) She is concerned that she will be seen leaving Gerty's which could risk her social standing.
9. What causes Lily's insomnia?
(a) Her surroundings are noisy.
(b) She is worried about Bertha Dorset.
(c) The women at her job have threatened her life.
(d) She worries about her debt to Gus Trenor.
10. What does George Dorset ask Lily to do while at the Gormers?
(a) Marry him.
(b) Defend herself against Bertha's gossip.
(c) Return to New York City to get away from Bertha.
(d) Renew her friendship with Bertha Dorset.
11. In book 2, chapter 6, why does George Dorset apologize to Lily while at the Gormers ?
(a) Wanting to divorce Bertha.
(b) Repeatedly asking Lily to marry him.
(c) Bertha Dorset's behavior toward her.
(d) Helping to oust her from her social circle.
12. At the beginning of book 2, chapter 13, how does Lily feel about the decisions she made regarding Simon Rosedale and Bertha Dorset?
13. Why does Lawrence Selden spend so much time working since he visited the Trenor home three months ago?
(a) He and Gus Trenor are involved in a real estate business deal.
(b) To get over Lily.
(c) Lawrence Selden is Mrs. Trenor's divorce lawyer.
(d) Lawrence Selden is working to pay off Lily's debt to Gus Trenor.
14. How does Lily feel in her new position in book 2, chapter 9?
15. In book 2, chapter 12, what experience with Lawrence Selden does Lily say she will always remember?
(a) Meeting at the train on the way to Bellomont.
(b) Seeing each other in Europe.
(c) Seeing each other at the wedding of Lily's cousin, Jack Stepney.
(d) Their conversation at Bellomont.
Short Answer Questions
1. In book 2, chapter 11, why doesn't Lily have a job?
2. Why is George Dorset at the Gormer's home at the same time Lily was there?
3. Out of fear for her safety from Bertha Dorset, what does Lawrence Selden want Lily to do ?
4. What is the emotional atmosphere on the yacht when rumors of Bertha and Ned Silverton, and Lily and George are have spread?
5. What does Grace Stepney say is the reason for her aunt's death?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)