|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In book 2, chapter 12, what experience with Lawrence Selden does Lily say she will always remember?
(a) Their conversation at Bellomont.
(b) Meeting at the train on the way to Bellomont.
(c) Seeing each other in Europe.
(d) Seeing each other at the wedding of Lily's cousin, Jack Stepney.
2. Which friend remains faithful to Lily after her aunt dies?
(a) Judy Trenor.
(b) Bertha Dorset.
(c) George Dorset.
(d) Gerty Farish.
3. How does Lily relate Ned Silverton's situation with Bertha Dorset to her own life?
(a) Lily thinks it is quite romantic and wishes the same from her future husband.
(b) Lily is excited that she is now free to marry George Dorset.
(c) Lily is relieved that Ned Silverton occupies Bertha's time, so Bertha leaves Lily alone.
(d) Lily is afraid she will become poor and need to support herself.
4. In book 2, chapter 8, what is Lily's social situation when Lily returns to the city after Simon Rosesale refuses to marry her ?
(a) She is able to buy her way into a new social circle.
(b) She is socially isolated.
(c) She is accepted back into her old social circle with the Trenors and the VanOsburghs.
(d) She wants to sever her relationships with everyone in her former social circle.
5. Other than a vacation from work, why is Lawrence Selden in Monte Carlo in book 2, chapter 1?
(a) To find Lily and persuade her to marry him.
(b) To close an important business deal.
(c) To meet a group from the New York City social circle.
(d) To get over Lily.
6. When does Mrs. Gormer's attitude change toward Lily?
(a) When Lily forgets to send a party invitation to an important member of their social circle.
(b) When Lily announces she is returning to New York City.
(c) After Bertha Dorset speaks with Mrs. Gormer.
(d) When Mrs. Gormer discovers Lily asked George Dorset to come to their house.
7. In book 2, chapter 2, who does Lily decide to become friends with after Carry Fischer warns Lily about her behavior the previous night ?
(a) The Duchess.
(b) Mrs. Bry.
(c) Ned Silverton.
8. In book 2, chapter 9, what is the condition of Lily's surroundings when she begins her new job?
9. What is Lily exposed to as a result of her new position?
(a) Job responsibilites that she cannot perform.
(b) A very low class of acquaintances.
(c) A new social circle.
(d) New opportunities to acquire wealth.
10. What problem does Lily develop because of her insomnia?
(a) Memory loss.
(b) Severe mood swings.
(c) Drug addiction.
(d) Falling asleep around dangerous machinery at her job.
11. How does Lily treat her new friends, the Gormers?
(a) She ridicules them to others.
(b) She treasures them.
(c) She uses them.
(d) She avoids them as much as possible.
12. What brings Lily comfort even as she grieves for her aunt?
(a) Her impending inheritance.
(b) The knowledge that her aunt loved her very much.
(c) The realization that her social standing is intact.
(d) The thought that the rest of the family will receive nothing from her aunt.
13. How does Lily respond to what Simon Rosedale suggests she do with the letters she purchased from Lawrence Selden's cleaning woman?
(a) She refuses to consider his idea.
(b) She becomes angry and walks away from Simon Rosedale.
(c) She laughs at the idea.
(d) She agrees that it is a good idea.
14. What does George Dorset ask Lily to do while at the Gormers?
(a) Return to New York City to get away from Bertha.
(b) Renew her friendship with Bertha Dorset.
(c) Defend herself against Bertha's gossip.
(d) Marry him.
15. In book 2, chapter 10, how does Lily react to Simon Rosedale's offer of help ?
(a) She laughs at him.
(b) She tearfully and gratefully accepts.
(c) She refuses.
(d) She asks for time to think about it.
Short Answer Questions
1. In book 2, chapter 5, why does Carry Fischer apologize to Lily ?
2. Who does Lily see at Carry Fischer's home playing with her daughter one evening?
3. When Lily sits in the park to rest, what is she thinking about her sleep medication?
4. What does Lily say in her telegram to Lawrence Selden?
5. What does Lily's aunt assume Lily's debt is for?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)