|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the emotional atmosphere on the yacht when rumors of Bertha and Ned Silverton, and Lily and George are have spread?
2. In book 2, chapter 6, why does George Dorset apologize to Lily while at the Gormers ?
(a) Bertha Dorset's behavior toward her.
(b) Helping to oust her from her social circle.
(c) Wanting to divorce Bertha.
(d) Repeatedly asking Lily to marry him.
3. In book 2, chapter 9, what is the condition of Lily's surroundings when she begins her new job?
4. In book 2, chapter 12, what feeling does Lily think Lawrence Selden has about their time together?
5. What brings Lily comfort even as she grieves for her aunt?
(a) The thought that the rest of the family will receive nothing from her aunt.
(b) Her impending inheritance.
(c) The realization that her social standing is intact.
(d) The knowledge that her aunt loved her very much.
6. What new job does Lily acquire in book 2, chapter 10?
(a) Working with hats.
(b) Doing social work for the women in Gerty Farish's charity.
(c) Working as a secretary for Gus Trenor.
(d) Cleaning a children's orphanage.
7. In book 2, chapter 2, who does Lily decide to become friends with after Carry Fischer warns Lily about her behavior the previous night ?
(a) Ned Silverton.
(b) The Duchess.
(c) Mrs. Bry.
8. How does Lily respond to what Simon Rosedale suggests she do with the letters she purchased from Lawrence Selden's cleaning woman?
(a) She agrees that it is a good idea.
(b) She laughs at the idea.
(c) She refuses to consider his idea.
(d) She becomes angry and walks away from Simon Rosedale.
9. What is Lily concerned about when she wakes up at Gerty's the morning after her argument with Gus Trenor?
(a) She is worried that her aunt noticed that she was not home.
(b) She is concerned that Gerty will think that Lily is now her best friend.
(c) She is concerned that she will be seen leaving Gerty's which could risk her social standing.
(d) She is worried that she will miss her meeting with Lawrence Selden.
10. Who gains the most from Lily's aunt's will?
(a) Grace Stepney.
(b) Gerty Farish's charity for poor women.
(d) Jack Stepney.
11. What does Lily's aunt assume Lily's debt is for?
(a) A vacation.
12. In book 2, chapter 8, what does Lawrence Selden find when he goes to see Lily at her hotel?
(a) A large group of friends from Lily's new social circle is visiting her.
(b) Lily is gone.
(c) George Dorset is visiting Lily.
(d) Lily attempted suicide.
13. In book 1, chapter 15, how does Lily respond to Simon Rosedale's marriage proposal ?
(a) She asks for time to think about it.
(b) She immediately accepts it.
(c) She laughs at him.
(d) She flatly refuses.
14. What is Lily exposed to as a result of her new position?
(a) Job responsibilites that she cannot perform.
(b) A very low class of acquaintances.
(c) A new social circle.
(d) New opportunities to acquire wealth.
15. What does Lily receive when she returns home after leaving Nettie Struther?
(a) A delivery of additional sleeping medication from the chemist.
(b) An eviction notice for not paying the rent.
(c) Her inheritance check for $10,000.
(d) A long letter from Simon Rosedale begging her to marry him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lily's alternative to her new position?
2. In book 1, chapter 1, what concerns Lawrence Selden and Lord Hubert Dacey about Lily?
3. According to Bertha's lover Ned Silverton, what issue is causing problems between Bertha and Lily?
4. In book 2, chapter 3, how does Bertha betray Lily at the end of the dinner party ?
5. How does Lily react to Lawrence Selden's request regarding her new job and living arrangements in book 2, chapter 9?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)