|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lily treat her new friends, the Gormers?
(a) She ridicules them to others.
(b) She avoids them as much as possible.
(c) She treasures them.
(d) She uses them.
2. In book 2, chapter 9, what is the condition of Lily's surroundings when she begins her new job?
3. What type of work does Carry Fischer find for Lily?
(a) Social secretary.
(b) Social worker.
(c) Bank secretary.
(d) Executive secretary.
4. How does Lily react to Lawrence Selden's request regarding her new job and living arrangements in book 2, chapter 9?
(a) She laughs at him.
(b) She immediately agrees.
(c) She resists his request.
(d) She asks for time to think.
5. In book 2, chapter 8, what does Lawrence Selden find when he goes to see Lily at her hotel?
(a) George Dorset is visiting Lily.
(b) A large group of friends from Lily's new social circle is visiting her.
(c) Lily is gone.
(d) Lily attempted suicide.
6. In book 2, chapter 10, how does Lily react to Simon Rosedale's offer of help ?
(a) She laughs at him.
(b) She asks for time to think about it.
(c) She tearfully and gratefully accepts.
(d) She refuses.
7. What is the emotional atmosphere on the yacht when rumors of Bertha and Ned Silverton, and Lily and George are have spread?
8. What happens to Lily because of a scandal involving Mrs. Hatch, her employer?
(a) Lily must consider taking a job as a cleaning woman in an orphanage.
(b) Lily must leave the city.
(c) Lily is without a job and a place to stay.
(d) Lily asks for help from Lawrence Selden.
9. How does Lily feel in her new position in book 2, chapter 9?
10. Which friend remains faithful to Lily after her aunt dies?
(a) George Dorset.
(b) Bertha Dorset.
(c) Judy Trenor.
(d) Gerty Farish.
11. What is Lily's past relationship with Nettie Struther?
(a) Lily and Nettie worked together decorating hats.
(b) Lily introduced Nettie to her future husband.
(c) Lily donated money to treat Nettie's illness.
(d) Lily allowed Nettie to stay with her when Nettie was homeless.
12. What does Simon Rosedale tell Lily to do with the letters she purchased from Lawrence Selden's cleaning woman?
(a) Burn the letters.
(b) Give the letters back to Lawrence Selden.
(c) Use the letters to blackmail George and Bertha Dorset into clearing her name.
(d) Give the letters to him for safekeeping.
13. What is Lily's reaction after aunt's will is read?
14. Why is George Dorset upset when Lily meets him on her way back to the yacht from the casino?
(a) Bertha and Ned Silverton did not come back to the yacht until morning.
(b) The bank foreclosed on the yacht.
(c) He is afraid Bertha will hear the rumor about him and Lily.
(d) Bertha asked George for a divorce.
15. How does Lily relate Ned Silverton's situation with Bertha Dorset to her own life?
(a) Lily thinks it is quite romantic and wishes the same from her future husband.
(b) Lily is afraid she will become poor and need to support herself.
(c) Lily is excited that she is now free to marry George Dorset.
(d) Lily is relieved that Ned Silverton occupies Bertha's time, so Bertha leaves Lily alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lily tell her aunt the debt is for?
2. What does George Dorset ask Lily to do while at the Gormers?
3. What does George Dorset decide to do after Lily finds him upset on her way back to the yacht?
4. In book 2, chapter 6, why does George Dorset apologize to Lily while at the Gormers ?
5. What is Lily's immediate response to the offer Simon Rosedale makes to her in book 2, chapter 11 ?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)