|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lily's alternative to her new position?
(a) The run-down hotel in which she previously resided.
(b) Marriage to George Dorset.
(c) Working for Gus Trenor.
(d) Working as a cleaning woman in an orphanage.
2. What is Lily exposed to as a result of her new position?
(a) New opportunities to acquire wealth.
(b) A very low class of acquaintances.
(c) A new social circle.
(d) Job responsibilites that she cannot perform.
3. Who convinces Lily to marry Simon Rosedale?
(a) Carry Fischer.
(b) Mrs. Gormer.
(c) Bertha Dorset.
(d) George Dorset.
4. How does Lily react to Bertha's betrayal of her at the dinner party ?
(a) She bursts into tears and flees the party.
(b) She laughs at Bertha's feeble attempt to blame Lily for her problems.
(c) She calmly asks Lawrence Selden to walk with her to her cab.
(d) She attempts to defend herself.
5. How does Lily feel when she wakes up on the Dorset's yacht the morning after she sees Lawrence Selden in Nice?
(a) Envious of Bertha Dorset.
(b) Frightened of George Dorset.
(c) Proud of herself.
(d) Ashamed of herself.
6. What does Lily confess to Lawrence Selden in book 2, chapter 12?
(a) She realizes too late that she loves him.
(b) Her need for wealth, material possessions, and social status.
(c) Her financial arrangement with Gus Trenor.
(d) She never really loved him.
7. How does Lily relate Ned Silverton's situation with Bertha Dorset to her own life?
(a) Lily is relieved that Ned Silverton occupies Bertha's time, so Bertha leaves Lily alone.
(b) Lily is excited that she is now free to marry George Dorset.
(c) Lily thinks it is quite romantic and wishes the same from her future husband.
(d) Lily is afraid she will become poor and need to support herself.
8. In book 2, chapter 9, what is the condition of Lily's surroundings when she begins her new job?
9. What does Lily say in her telegram to Lawrence Selden?
(a) She is afraid of George Dorset and wants Lawrence Selden to find another place for her to stay.
(b) George Dorset is coming to see him.
(c) She wants to marry him.
(d) Bertha Dorset is coming to see him.
10. How does Lily feel in her new position in book 2, chapter 9?
11. What problem does Lily develop because of her insomnia?
(a) Falling asleep around dangerous machinery at her job.
(b) Severe mood swings.
(c) Memory loss.
(d) Drug addiction.
12. What type of work does Carry Fischer find for Lily?
(a) Social secretary.
(b) Executive secretary.
(c) Bank secretary.
(d) Social worker.
13. Why does Lily decide she can't give Bertha Dorset the letters that Bertha and Lawrence Selden wrote to each other?
(a) She is afraid of revenge from Bertha Dorset.
(b) She doesn't want to betray Bertha Dorset.
(c) She is afraid the letters will create a relationship between Bertha Dorset and Lawrence Selden.
(d) Lily can't betray Lawrence Selden.
14. What brings Lily comfort even as she grieves for her aunt?
(a) The knowledge that her aunt loved her very much.
(b) Her impending inheritance.
(c) The thought that the rest of the family will receive nothing from her aunt.
(d) The realization that her social standing is intact.
15. In book 2, chapter 6, what does Carry Fischer tell Lily about Bertha Dorset ?
(a) Bertha Dorset will lose everything if George Dorset divorces her.
(b) Bertha Dorset is gossiping about Lily to the Gormers.
(c) Bertha Dorset is interested in becoming friends with Lily again.
(d) Lily should attempt to mend her relationship with Bertha Dorset.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lawrence Selden spend so much time working since he visited the Trenor home three months ago?
2. How does Lily respond to what Simon Rosedale suggests she do with the letters she purchased from Lawrence Selden's cleaning woman?
3. What does Lily ultimately do with the letters between Bertha Dorset and Lawrence Selden?
4. Out of fear for her safety from Bertha Dorset, what does Lawrence Selden want Lily to do ?
5. What does Lily realize about the decisions she makes regarding Simon Rosedale and Bertha Dorset when she wakes up the morning after Simon Rosedale makes his offer to her?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)