|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lily react to Bertha's betrayal of her at the dinner party ?
(a) She calmly asks Lawrence Selden to walk with her to her cab.
(b) She laughs at Bertha's feeble attempt to blame Lily for her problems.
(c) She bursts into tears and flees the party.
(d) She attempts to defend herself.
2. How does Lily feel in her new position in book 2, chapter 9?
3. In book 2, chapter 2, how does Bertha Dorset intend to clear her own name regarding the rumors about her and Ned Silverton?
(a) She is going to speak to Lawrence Selden.
(b) She is going to blame Lily for the problems between her and George.
(c) She is going to confront George.
(d) She is going to confront Carry Fischer about spreading gossip.
4. What does Lily say in her telegram to Lawrence Selden?
(a) George Dorset is coming to see him.
(b) Bertha Dorset is coming to see him.
(c) She wants to marry him.
(d) She is afraid of George Dorset and wants Lawrence Selden to find another place for her to stay.
5. What does Lily ultimately do with the letters between Bertha Dorset and Lawrence Selden?
(a) She gives the letters to Simon Rosedale for safekeeping.
(b) She burns the letters.
(c) She hides the letters on a shelf.
(d) She gives the letters back to Lawrence Selden.
6. What does Gerty Farish tell Ned Silverton's relatives about his relationship with Bertha Dorset?
(a) Bertha and Ned want to be together but don't want to marry.
(b) Bertha Dorset wants to marry Ned, but can't because George Dorset won't give Bertha a divorce.
(c) Bertha and Ned have married.
(d) Bertha Dorset ended her relationship with Ned.
7. In book 2, chapter 6, what does Carry Fischer tell Lily about Bertha Dorset ?
(a) Bertha Dorset will lose everything if George Dorset divorces her.
(b) Bertha Dorset is gossiping about Lily to the Gormers.
(c) Bertha Dorset is interested in becoming friends with Lily again.
(d) Lily should attempt to mend her relationship with Bertha Dorset.
8. What does Lily's aunt assume Lily's debt is for?
(c) A vacation.
9. What does Lily intend to do with her inheritance from her aunt?
(a) Donate it to Gerty Farish's charity for poor women.
(b) Repay Gus Trenor.
(c) Buy her way into a higher social circle.
(d) Buy her own yacht.
10. In book 2, chapter 10, how does Lily react to Simon Rosedale's offer of help ?
(a) She tearfully and gratefully accepts.
(b) She laughs at him.
(c) She asks for time to think about it.
(d) She refuses.
11. What is Lily's past relationship with Nettie Struther?
(a) Lily and Nettie worked together decorating hats.
(b) Lily allowed Nettie to stay with her when Nettie was homeless.
(c) Lily donated money to treat Nettie's illness.
(d) Lily introduced Nettie to her future husband.
12. What problem does Lily forget about as she spends time in Europe?
(a) Her situation with Lawrence Selden.
(b) Simon Rosedale's marriage proposal.
(c) Her troubles with Gus Trenor.
(d) Her aunt's disappointment in her.
13. In book 2, chapter 9, what is the condition of Lily's surroundings when she begins her new job?
14. What does Lily tell her aunt the debt is for?
(d) A vacation.
15. In book 2, chapter 8, what does the situation with Bertha Dorset cause Ned Silverton to do?
(a) Ned spends all his money on expensive gifts for Bertha.
(b) Ned resorts to gambling and causes his family to look for ways to support themselves.
(c) Ned commits suicide.
(d) Ned threatens George Dorset.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Lily see at Carry Fischer's home playing with her daughter one evening?
2. Why does Lawrence Selden spend so much time working since he visited the Trenor home three months ago?
3. What is Lily's reaction after aunt's will is read?
4. Who convinces Lily to marry Simon Rosedale?
5. What happens in book 1, chapter 15, as Lily is about to accept Simon Rosedale's marriage proposal?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)