|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lily say in her telegram to Lawrence Selden?
(a) She wants to marry him.
(b) George Dorset is coming to see him.
(c) Bertha Dorset is coming to see him.
(d) She is afraid of George Dorset and wants Lawrence Selden to find another place for her to stay.
2. When Lily sits in the park to rest, what is she thinking about her sleep medication?
(a) She is worried that it is no longer working.
(b) She is afraid the chemist will discontinue the prescription.
(c) She is concerned about her addiction.
(d) She is afraid Mrs. Hatch will discover that she stole the prescription.
3. How does Lily respond to what Simon Rosedale suggests she do with the letters she purchased from Lawrence Selden's cleaning woman?
(a) She becomes angry and walks away from Simon Rosedale.
(b) She laughs at the idea.
(c) She refuses to consider his idea.
(d) She agrees that it is a good idea.
4. In book 2, chapter 8, what does Lawrence Selden find when he goes to see Lily at her hotel?
(a) George Dorset is visiting Lily.
(b) Lily is gone.
(c) Lily attempted suicide.
(d) A large group of friends from Lily's new social circle is visiting her.
5. What does Lily's aunt assume Lily's debt is for?
(b) A vacation.
6. Which friend remains faithful to Lily after her aunt dies?
(a) George Dorset.
(b) Gerty Farish.
(c) Judy Trenor.
(d) Bertha Dorset.
7. What is Lily's past relationship with Nettie Struther?
(a) Lily allowed Nettie to stay with her when Nettie was homeless.
(b) Lily and Nettie worked together decorating hats.
(c) Lily introduced Nettie to her future husband.
(d) Lily donated money to treat Nettie's illness.
8. What does Simon Rosedale tell Lily to do with the letters she purchased from Lawrence Selden's cleaning woman?
(a) Give the letters to him for safekeeping.
(b) Burn the letters.
(c) Use the letters to blackmail George and Bertha Dorset into clearing her name.
(d) Give the letters back to Lawrence Selden.
9. When Lily finds Simon Rosedale waiting for her at her room in book 2, chapter 11, what does he offer Lily?
(a) Intevening for her with Bertha Dorset.
(b) A loan to repay Gus Trenor.
(c) A new place to live.
(d) A job working for him.
10. At the beginning of book 2, chapter 13, how does Lily feel about the decisions she made regarding Simon Rosedale and Bertha Dorset?
11. What does Lily intend to do with her inheritance from her aunt?
(a) Repay Gus Trenor.
(b) Donate it to Gerty Farish's charity for poor women.
(c) Buy her own yacht.
(d) Buy her way into a higher social circle.
12. In book 2, chapter 9, what does Lawrence Selden want Lily to do regarding her new position and living situation?
(a) Quit and move in with Gerty Farish.
(b) Continue the work and keep her current living arrangements.
(c) Continue the work and move to a more desirable location.
(d) Quit and marry him.
13. In book 1, chapter 15, how does Lily respond to Simon Rosedale's marriage proposal ?
(a) She asks for time to think about it.
(b) She immediately accepts it.
(c) She laughs at him.
(d) She flatly refuses.
14. Who convinces Lily to marry Simon Rosedale?
(a) Carry Fischer.
(b) George Dorset.
(c) Bertha Dorset.
(d) Mrs. Gormer.
15. What happens to Lily because of a scandal involving Mrs. Hatch, her employer?
(a) Lily must leave the city.
(b) Lily asks for help from Lawrence Selden.
(c) Lily is without a job and a place to stay.
(d) Lily must consider taking a job as a cleaning woman in an orphanage.
Short Answer Questions
1. In book 2, chapter 12, what experience with Lawrence Selden does Lily say she will always remember?
2. What does George Dorset ask Lily to do while at the Gormers?
3. Why does Lawrence Selden spend so much time working since he visited the Trenor home three months ago?
4. What new job does Lily acquire in book 2, chapter 10?
5. How does Lily treat her new friends, the Gormers?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)