|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lily's immediate response to the offer Simon Rosedale makes to her in book 2, chapter 11 ?
(a) She accepts his offer.
(b) She refuses his offer.
(c) She laughs at his offer.
(d) She asks for time to consider his offer.
2. How does Lily feel about being accepted into the new social circle Carry Fischer introduced her to ?
3. Out of fear for her safety from Bertha Dorset, what does Lawrence Selden want Lily to do ?
(a) He asks Lily to leave the yacht.
(b) He says he will move onto the yacht to help protect Lily.
(c) He asks Lily to speak to Bertha.
(d) He asks Lily to convince George Dorset to speak to Bertha about her.
4. In book 2, chapter 12, what feeling does Lily think Lawrence Selden has about their time together?
5. Who does Lily see at Carry Fischer's home playing with her daughter one evening?
(a) Bertha Dorset.
(b) Lawrence Selden.
(c) Simon Rosedale.
(d) George Dorset.
6. What problem does Lily develop because of her insomnia?
(a) Severe mood swings.
(b) Drug addiction.
(c) Falling asleep around dangerous machinery at her job.
(d) Memory loss.
7. What does Lawrence Selden tell Lily about the Dorsets' possible divorce?
(a) They both blame Lily for forcing them to consider divorce.
(b) They want to divorce immediately.
(c) They will wait until they return home to finalize their divorce.
(d) They have made up and probably won't divorce.
8. In book 2, chapter 2, how does Bertha Dorset intend to clear her own name regarding the rumors about her and Ned Silverton?
(a) She is going to blame Lily for the problems between her and George.
(b) She is going to speak to Lawrence Selden.
(c) She is going to confront Carry Fischer about spreading gossip.
(d) She is going to confront George.
9. Which friend remains faithful to Lily after her aunt dies?
(a) Bertha Dorset.
(b) Judy Trenor.
(c) Gerty Farish.
(d) George Dorset.
10. In book 2, chapter 9, what is the condition of Lily's surroundings when she begins her new job?
11. How does Lily react to Bertha's betrayal of her at the dinner party ?
(a) She bursts into tears and flees the party.
(b) She calmly asks Lawrence Selden to walk with her to her cab.
(c) She laughs at Bertha's feeble attempt to blame Lily for her problems.
(d) She attempts to defend herself.
12. What is Lily's alternative to her new position?
(a) Working as a cleaning woman in an orphanage.
(b) Marriage to George Dorset.
(c) Working for Gus Trenor.
(d) The run-down hotel in which she previously resided.
13. How does Lily react to Lawrence Selden's request regarding her new job and living arrangements in book 2, chapter 9?
(a) She laughs at him.
(b) She immediately agrees.
(c) She resists his request.
(d) She asks for time to think.
14. What happens to Lily because of a scandal involving Mrs. Hatch, her employer?
(a) Lily asks for help from Lawrence Selden.
(b) Lily must consider taking a job as a cleaning woman in an orphanage.
(c) Lily is without a job and a place to stay.
(d) Lily must leave the city.
15. According to Bertha's lover Ned Silverton, what issue is causing problems between Bertha and Lily?
(a) George Dorset is in love with Lily.
(b) Lily doesn't include Bertha in her activities with her friends in her social circle.
(c) Bertha is still angry at Lily for keeping Lawrence Selden from her.
(d) Lily is in love with Ned Silverton.
Short Answer Questions
1. In book 2, chapter 6, what does Carry Fischer tell Lily about Bertha Dorset ?
2. What does Lily say in her telegram to Lawrence Selden?
3. Why is George Dorset at the Gormer's home at the same time Lily was there?
4. How does Lily feel in her new position in book 2, chapter 9?
5. How does Lily treat her new friends, the Gormers?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)