|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lily feel about being accepted into the new social circle Carry Fischer introduced her to ?
2. In book 2, chapter 6, why does George Dorset apologize to Lily while at the Gormers ?
(a) Bertha Dorset's behavior toward her.
(b) Wanting to divorce Bertha.
(c) Helping to oust her from her social circle.
(d) Repeatedly asking Lily to marry him.
3. When Lily finds Simon Rosedale waiting for her at her room in book 2, chapter 11, what does he offer Lily?
(a) A job working for him.
(b) Intevening for her with Bertha Dorset.
(c) A loan to repay Gus Trenor.
(d) A new place to live.
4. What does Lily tell her aunt the debt is for?
(b) A vacation.
5. What does Simon Rosedale tell Lily to do with the letters she purchased from Lawrence Selden's cleaning woman?
(a) Burn the letters.
(b) Give the letters back to Lawrence Selden.
(c) Use the letters to blackmail George and Bertha Dorset into clearing her name.
(d) Give the letters to him for safekeeping.
6. What is Lily concerned about when she wakes up at Gerty's the morning after her argument with Gus Trenor?
(a) She is concerned that she will be seen leaving Gerty's which could risk her social standing.
(b) She is worried that she will miss her meeting with Lawrence Selden.
(c) She is concerned that Gerty will think that Lily is now her best friend.
(d) She is worried that her aunt noticed that she was not home.
7. In book 2, chapter 8, what is Lily's social situation when Lily returns to the city after Simon Rosesale refuses to marry her ?
(a) She is able to buy her way into a new social circle.
(b) She is socially isolated.
(c) She is accepted back into her old social circle with the Trenors and the VanOsburghs.
(d) She wants to sever her relationships with everyone in her former social circle.
8. In Carry Fischer's opinion, what will George Dorset do if he finds out his wife is having an affair?
(a) He will kill Bertha's lover.
(b) He will kill Bertha.
(c) He will marry Lily.
(d) He will ask Lawrence Selden to represent him in the divorce.
9. In book 2, chapter 2, how does Bertha Dorset intend to clear her own name regarding the rumors about her and Ned Silverton?
(a) She is going to speak to Lawrence Selden.
(b) She is going to confront Carry Fischer about spreading gossip.
(c) She is going to blame Lily for the problems between her and George.
(d) She is going to confront George.
10. Why does Lily go to Alaska?
(a) Wealthy distant relatives of Lily live in Alaska.
(b) Carry Fischer suggests that Lily find a new place to start over.
(c) Carry Fischer suggests Lily take her place with Carry Fischer's new family.
(d) Carry Fischer suggests there will be wealthy bachelors on the trip.
11. What does Simon Rosedale think about Lily's reaction to his suggestion of what she should do with the letters she purchased from Lawrence Selden's cleaning woman?
(a) He thinks it is because she doesn't trust Simon Rosedale.
(b) He thinks she is tired of dealing with the situation.
(c) He thinks it is because she still wants the Dorsets as friends.
(d) He thinks it is because she loves Lawrence Selden.
12. What new job does Lily acquire in book 2, chapter 10?
(a) Cleaning a children's orphanage.
(b) Doing social work for the women in Gerty Farish's charity.
(c) Working as a secretary for Gus Trenor.
(d) Working with hats.
13. Who does Lily visit the morning after Simon Rosedale makes his offer to her?
(a) Lawrence Selden.
(b) Simon Rosedale.
(c) Gus Trenor.
(d) Bertha Dorset.
14. What is the emotional atmosphere on the yacht when rumors of Bertha and Ned Silverton, and Lily and George are have spread?
15. How does Lily react to Lawrence Selden's request regarding her new job and living arrangements in book 2, chapter 9?
(a) She asks for time to think.
(b) She resists his request.
(c) She laughs at him.
(d) She immediately agrees.
Short Answer Questions
1. In book 2, chapter 3, how does Bertha betray Lily at the end of the dinner party ?
2. How does Lily feel when she wakes up on the Dorset's yacht the morning after she sees Lawrence Selden in Nice?
3. Who gains the most from Lily's aunt's will?
4. When does Mrs. Gormer's attitude change toward Lily?
5. In book 2, chapter 7, how does Lily feel when Simon Rosedale explains why he refuses to marry her?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)