|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lily stops to see Lawrence Selden at his apartment on her way to blackmail Bertha Dorset, what does the first part of their conversation consist of?
(c) Small talk.
2. What is Lily's past relationship with Nettie Struther?
(a) Lily introduced Nettie to her future husband.
(b) Lily allowed Nettie to stay with her when Nettie was homeless.
(c) Lily donated money to treat Nettie's illness.
(d) Lily and Nettie worked together decorating hats.
3. What causes Lily's insomnia?
(a) The women at her job have threatened her life.
(b) She worries about her debt to Gus Trenor.
(c) She is worried about Bertha Dorset.
(d) Her surroundings are noisy.
4. In book 2, chapter 8, what does the situation with Bertha Dorset cause Ned Silverton to do?
(a) Ned commits suicide.
(b) Ned spends all his money on expensive gifts for Bertha.
(c) Ned threatens George Dorset.
(d) Ned resorts to gambling and causes his family to look for ways to support themselves.
5. How does Lily react to Lawrence Selden's request regarding her new job and living arrangements in book 2, chapter 9?
(a) She immediately agrees.
(b) She resists his request.
(c) She asks for time to think.
(d) She laughs at him.
6. Other than a vacation from work, why is Lawrence Selden in Monte Carlo in book 2, chapter 1?
(a) To close an important business deal.
(b) To find Lily and persuade her to marry him.
(c) To meet a group from the New York City social circle.
(d) To get over Lily.
7. What does the exhaustion and the stress of the day cause Lily to do when she tries to sleep the night she visited Nettie Struther?
(a) She increases the dosage of the sleeping medication.
(b) She renews her prescription for the sleeping medication.
(c) She steals another prescription for the sleeping medication.
(d) She speaks to the chemist about strengthening her sleeping medication.
8. What new job does Lily acquire in book 2, chapter 10?
(a) Working with hats.
(b) Working as a secretary for Gus Trenor.
(c) Doing social work for the women in Gerty Farish's charity.
(d) Cleaning a children's orphanage.
9. In book 2, chapter 5, why does Carry Fischer apologize to Lily ?
(a) For not defending her to Bertha Dorset.
(b) For making Lily take care of the Welly Brys.
(c) For having lunch alone with Lawrence Selden in Monte Carlo.
(d) For telling Lawrence Selden about the situation with the Italian prince in Europe.
10. What happens to Lily because of a scandal involving Mrs. Hatch, her employer?
(a) Lily is without a job and a place to stay.
(b) Lily must consider taking a job as a cleaning woman in an orphanage.
(c) Lily asks for help from Lawrence Selden.
(d) Lily must leave the city.
11. What does George Dorset decide to do after Lily finds him upset on her way back to the yacht?
(a) Send Lily back to New York.
(b) Ask Gus Trenor for a loan.
(c) Speak to Lawrence Selden.
(d) Speak to Bertha.
12. According to Bertha's lover Ned Silverton, what issue is causing problems between Bertha and Lily?
(a) Bertha is still angry at Lily for keeping Lawrence Selden from her.
(b) George Dorset is in love with Lily.
(c) Lily doesn't include Bertha in her activities with her friends in her social circle.
(d) Lily is in love with Ned Silverton.
13. What does George Dorset ask Lily to do while at the Gormers?
(a) Renew her friendship with Bertha Dorset.
(b) Return to New York City to get away from Bertha.
(c) Marry him.
(d) Defend herself against Bertha's gossip.
14. What does Simon Rosedale think about Lily's reaction to his suggestion of what she should do with the letters she purchased from Lawrence Selden's cleaning woman?
(a) He thinks it is because she doesn't trust Simon Rosedale.
(b) He thinks it is because she still wants the Dorsets as friends.
(c) He thinks it is because she loves Lawrence Selden.
(d) He thinks she is tired of dealing with the situation.
15. Why does Lily decide she can't give Bertha Dorset the letters that Bertha and Lawrence Selden wrote to each other?
(a) She is afraid the letters will create a relationship between Bertha Dorset and Lawrence Selden.
(b) She is afraid of revenge from Bertha Dorset.
(c) Lily can't betray Lawrence Selden.
(d) She doesn't want to betray Bertha Dorset.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lily respond to what Simon Rosedale suggests she do with the letters she purchased from Lawrence Selden's cleaning woman?
2. Why does Nettie Struther invite Lily to her home after seeing Lily in the park?
3. In book 2, chapter 11, why doesn't Lily have a job?
4. In book 1, chapter 15, how does Lily respond to Simon Rosedale's marriage proposal ?
5. How does Lily react to Bertha's betrayal of her at the dinner party ?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)