|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What brings Lily comfort even as she grieves for her aunt?
(a) The realization that her social standing is intact.
(b) The thought that the rest of the family will receive nothing from her aunt.
(c) The knowledge that her aunt loved her very much.
(d) Her impending inheritance.
2. In Carry Fischer's opinion, what will George Dorset do if he finds out his wife is having an affair?
(a) He will marry Lily.
(b) He will ask Lawrence Selden to represent him in the divorce.
(c) He will kill Bertha.
(d) He will kill Bertha's lover.
3. What does Lily do because she doesn't have a job?
(a) She volunteers at a soup kitchen.
(b) She visits the friends in her new social circle.
(c) She sits in her shabby room and stares out the window.
(d) She takes walks.
4. What is Lily's reaction after aunt's will is read?
5. What does Lily confess to Lawrence Selden in book 2, chapter 12?
(a) Her financial arrangement with Gus Trenor.
(b) Her need for wealth, material possessions, and social status.
(c) She realizes too late that she loves him.
(d) She never really loved him.
6. How does Lily feel in her new position in book 2, chapter 9?
7. What does Grace Stepney say is the reason for her aunt's death?
(b) Lily's immoral lifestyle.
(c) Being disowned by Grace Stepney's father.
(d) A carriage accident.
8. On what terms does Lily want to part with Simon Rosedale in book 2, chapter 7?
9. What does Lawrence Selden tell Lily about the Dorsets' possible divorce?
(a) They want to divorce immediately.
(b) They will wait until they return home to finalize their divorce.
(c) They both blame Lily for forcing them to consider divorce.
(d) They have made up and probably won't divorce.
10. In book 2, chapter 9, what is the condition of Lily's surroundings when she begins her new job?
11. In book 2, chapter 3, how does Bertha betray Lily at the end of the dinner party ?
(a) Bertha tells the guests that Lily had an affair with George.
(b) Bertha announces that Lily will not be returning to the yacht with them that night.
(c) Bertha tells the guests about Lily's financial arrangement with Gus Trenor.
(d) Bertha tells the guests that Lily has spread gossip about each and every one of them.
12. In book 2, chapter 11, why doesn't Lily have a job?
(a) The place at which she worked closed down.
(b) She took a leave of absence.
(c) She was fired.
(d) She quit.
13. Why is George Dorset upset when Lily meets him on her way back to the yacht from the casino?
(a) He is afraid Bertha will hear the rumor about him and Lily.
(b) Bertha asked George for a divorce.
(c) The bank foreclosed on the yacht.
(d) Bertha and Ned Silverton did not come back to the yacht until morning.
14. What does Gerty Farish tell Ned Silverton's relatives about his relationship with Bertha Dorset?
(a) Bertha Dorset wants to marry Ned, but can't because George Dorset won't give Bertha a divorce.
(b) Bertha Dorset ended her relationship with Ned.
(c) Bertha and Ned have married.
(d) Bertha and Ned want to be together but don't want to marry.
15. Who convinces Lily to marry Simon Rosedale?
(a) Mrs. Gormer.
(b) Bertha Dorset.
(c) Carry Fischer.
(d) George Dorset.
Short Answer Questions
1. In book 2, chapter 8, what does Lawrence Selden find when he goes to see Lily at her hotel?
2. What does Lily intend to do with her inheritance from her aunt?
3. Out of fear for her safety from Bertha Dorset, what does Lawrence Selden want Lily to do ?
4. In book 2, chapter 10, how does Lily react to Simon Rosedale's offer of help ?
5. In book 2, chapter 7, how does Lily feel when Simon Rosedale explains why he refuses to marry her?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)