|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Lily because of a scandal involving Mrs. Hatch, her employer?
(a) Lily must consider taking a job as a cleaning woman in an orphanage.
(b) Lily is without a job and a place to stay.
(c) Lily must leave the city.
(d) Lily asks for help from Lawrence Selden.
2. What does Lily tell her aunt the debt is for?
(d) A vacation.
3. How does Lily feel in her new position in book 2, chapter 9?
4. How does Lily feel when she wakes up on the Dorset's yacht the morning after she sees Lawrence Selden in Nice?
(a) Envious of Bertha Dorset.
(b) Proud of herself.
(c) Ashamed of herself.
(d) Frightened of George Dorset.
5. Why is George Dorset upset when Lily meets him on her way back to the yacht from the casino?
(a) Bertha asked George for a divorce.
(b) The bank foreclosed on the yacht.
(c) He is afraid Bertha will hear the rumor about him and Lily.
(d) Bertha and Ned Silverton did not come back to the yacht until morning.
6. Other than a vacation from work, why is Lawrence Selden in Monte Carlo in book 2, chapter 1?
(a) To close an important business deal.
(b) To get over Lily.
(c) To find Lily and persuade her to marry him.
(d) To meet a group from the New York City social circle.
7. On what terms does Lily want to part with Simon Rosedale in book 2, chapter 7?
8. When Lily sits in the park to rest, what is she thinking about her sleep medication?
(a) She is worried that it is no longer working.
(b) She is afraid Mrs. Hatch will discover that she stole the prescription.
(c) She is concerned about her addiction.
(d) She is afraid the chemist will discontinue the prescription.
9. Why does Lily go to Alaska?
(a) Carry Fischer suggests that Lily find a new place to start over.
(b) Carry Fischer suggests there will be wealthy bachelors on the trip.
(c) Wealthy distant relatives of Lily live in Alaska.
(d) Carry Fischer suggests Lily take her place with Carry Fischer's new family.
10. What does Grace Stepney say is the reason for her aunt's death?
(a) Lily's immoral lifestyle.
(b) Being disowned by Grace Stepney's father.
(c) A carriage accident.
11. What does Simon Rosedale think about Lily's reaction to his suggestion of what she should do with the letters she purchased from Lawrence Selden's cleaning woman?
(a) He thinks it is because she doesn't trust Simon Rosedale.
(b) He thinks it is because she still wants the Dorsets as friends.
(c) He thinks she is tired of dealing with the situation.
(d) He thinks it is because she loves Lawrence Selden.
12. What problem does Lily develop because of her insomnia?
(a) Drug addiction.
(b) Falling asleep around dangerous machinery at her job.
(c) Severe mood swings.
(d) Memory loss.
13. In book 2, chapter 12, what feeling does Lily think Lawrence Selden has about their time together?
14. In book 2, chapter 2, who does Lily decide to become friends with after Carry Fischer warns Lily about her behavior the previous night ?
(b) Ned Silverton.
(c) Mrs. Bry.
(d) The Duchess.
15. How does Lily fare at her new job?
(a) She is terrible at it.
(b) She takes a long time to learn and outperforms even those who have been doing the job for years.
(c) She learns quickly and does well.
(d) She takes a long time to learn but still does poorly.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lily react to Lawrence Selden's request regarding her new job and living arrangements in book 2, chapter 9?
2. In book 2, chapter 12, what experience with Lawrence Selden does Lily say she will always remember?
3. How does Lily respond to what Simon Rosedale suggests she do with the letters she purchased from Lawrence Selden's cleaning woman?
4. How does Lily relate Ned Silverton's situation with Bertha Dorset to her own life?
5. In book 2, chapter 6, why does George Dorset apologize to Lily while at the Gormers ?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)