|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lily react to Lawrence Selden's request regarding her new job and living arrangements in book 2, chapter 9?
(a) She immediately agrees.
(b) She laughs at him.
(c) She resists his request.
(d) She asks for time to think.
2. In book 2, chapter 9, what does Lawrence Selden want Lily to do regarding her new position and living situation?
(a) Continue the work and move to a more desirable location.
(b) Quit and marry him.
(c) Quit and move in with Gerty Farish.
(d) Continue the work and keep her current living arrangements.
3. In book 2, chapter 10, how does Lily react to Simon Rosedale's offer of help ?
(a) She tearfully and gratefully accepts.
(b) She asks for time to think about it.
(c) She laughs at him.
(d) She refuses.
4. Why does Lily decide she can't give Bertha Dorset the letters that Bertha and Lawrence Selden wrote to each other?
(a) Lily can't betray Lawrence Selden.
(b) She doesn't want to betray Bertha Dorset.
(c) She is afraid the letters will create a relationship between Bertha Dorset and Lawrence Selden.
(d) She is afraid of revenge from Bertha Dorset.
5. How does Lily feel when she wakes up on the Dorset's yacht the morning after she sees Lawrence Selden in Nice?
(a) Envious of Bertha Dorset.
(b) Frightened of George Dorset.
(c) Ashamed of herself.
(d) Proud of herself.
6. In book 2, chapter 8, what is Lily's social situation when Lily returns to the city after Simon Rosesale refuses to marry her ?
(a) She wants to sever her relationships with everyone in her former social circle.
(b) She is able to buy her way into a new social circle.
(c) She is socially isolated.
(d) She is accepted back into her old social circle with the Trenors and the VanOsburghs.
7. What does Simon Rosedale think about Lily's reaction to his suggestion of what she should do with the letters she purchased from Lawrence Selden's cleaning woman?
(a) He thinks it is because she loves Lawrence Selden.
(b) He thinks it is because she still wants the Dorsets as friends.
(c) He thinks it is because she doesn't trust Simon Rosedale.
(d) He thinks she is tired of dealing with the situation.
8. How does Lily fare at her new job?
(a) She is terrible at it.
(b) She takes a long time to learn but still does poorly.
(c) She takes a long time to learn and outperforms even those who have been doing the job for years.
(d) She learns quickly and does well.
9. In book 2, chapter 8, what does the situation with Bertha Dorset cause Ned Silverton to do?
(a) Ned resorts to gambling and causes his family to look for ways to support themselves.
(b) Ned spends all his money on expensive gifts for Bertha.
(c) Ned threatens George Dorset.
(d) Ned commits suicide.
10. What brings Lily comfort even as she grieves for her aunt?
(a) The knowledge that her aunt loved her very much.
(b) The thought that the rest of the family will receive nothing from her aunt.
(c) The realization that her social standing is intact.
(d) Her impending inheritance.
11. Why is George Dorset at the Gormer's home at the same time Lily was there?
(a) Bertha Dorset is visiting Mrs. Gormer.
(b) George Dorset is involved in a business deal with Mr. Gormer.
(c) Lily asked him to come.
(d) The Gormers are having a party.
12. What does Simon Rosedale tell Lily to do with the letters she purchased from Lawrence Selden's cleaning woman?
(a) Burn the letters.
(b) Give the letters to him for safekeeping.
(c) Use the letters to blackmail George and Bertha Dorset into clearing her name.
(d) Give the letters back to Lawrence Selden.
13. Who does Lily visit the morning after Simon Rosedale makes his offer to her?
(a) Lawrence Selden.
(b) Simon Rosedale.
(c) Bertha Dorset.
(d) Gus Trenor.
14. In book 2, chapter 7, how does Lily feel when Simon Rosedale explains why he refuses to marry her?
(a) Insulted by his reasons.
(b) Crushed by his refusal.
(c) Relieved that she is now free to marry George Dorset.
(d) Refreshed by his honesty.
15. What does Lily confess to Lawrence Selden in book 2, chapter 12?
(a) Her need for wealth, material possessions, and social status.
(b) She never really loved him.
(c) She realizes too late that she loves him.
(d) Her financial arrangement with Gus Trenor.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lily treat her new friends, the Gormers?
2. At lunch in Monte Carlo, how does Lawrence Selden feel after his discussion about Lily with Carry Fischer ?
3. What is the emotional atmosphere on the yacht when rumors of Bertha and Ned Silverton, and Lily and George are have spread?
4. Why does Nettie Struther invite Lily to her home after seeing Lily in the park?
5. How does Lily feel about being accepted into the new social circle Carry Fischer introduced her to ?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)