|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Nettie Struther invite Lily to her home after seeing Lily in the park?
(a) Lily looks ill.
(b) Lily wants to see Nettie's husband.
(c) Nettie wants Lily to see how well she has done.
(d) Nettie needs help caring for her house and child.
2. Why does Lawrence Selden spend so much time working since he visited the Trenor home three months ago?
(a) Lawrence Selden is working to pay off Lily's debt to Gus Trenor.
(b) He and Gus Trenor are involved in a real estate business deal.
(c) Lawrence Selden is Mrs. Trenor's divorce lawyer.
(d) To get over Lily.
3. How does Lily treat her new friends, the Gormers?
(a) She treasures them.
(b) She uses them.
(c) She avoids them as much as possible.
(d) She ridicules them to others.
4. When Lily returns from Alaska, what advice does Carry Fischer give her ?
(a) Lily must pay back her loan to Gus Trenor as soon as possible.
(b) Lily needs to tell everyone the truth about what happened in Europe.
(c) Lily must marry as soon as possible.
(d) Lily needs to stay away from George Dorset.
5. Why is George Dorset at the Gormer's home at the same time Lily was there?
(a) The Gormers are having a party.
(b) Lily asked him to come.
(c) Bertha Dorset is visiting Mrs. Gormer.
(d) George Dorset is involved in a business deal with Mr. Gormer.
6. In book 2, chapter 10, how does Lily react to Simon Rosedale's offer of help ?
(a) She asks for time to think about it.
(b) She tearfully and gratefully accepts.
(c) She refuses.
(d) She laughs at him.
7. Who gains the most from Lily's aunt's will?
(a) Gerty Farish's charity for poor women.
(b) Grace Stepney.
(c) Jack Stepney.
8. In book 2, chapter 9, what is the condition of Lily's surroundings when she begins her new job?
9. What causes Lily's insomnia?
(a) She is worried about Bertha Dorset.
(b) She worries about her debt to Gus Trenor.
(c) The women at her job have threatened her life.
(d) Her surroundings are noisy.
10. How does Lily feel in her new position in book 2, chapter 9?
11. In book 2, chapter 12, what feeling does Lily think Lawrence Selden has about their time together?
12. In book 2, chapter 6, why does George Dorset apologize to Lily while at the Gormers ?
(a) Repeatedly asking Lily to marry him.
(b) Wanting to divorce Bertha.
(c) Bertha Dorset's behavior toward her.
(d) Helping to oust her from her social circle.
13. How does Lily react to Bertha's betrayal of her at the dinner party ?
(a) She attempts to defend herself.
(b) She bursts into tears and flees the party.
(c) She calmly asks Lawrence Selden to walk with her to her cab.
(d) She laughs at Bertha's feeble attempt to blame Lily for her problems.
14. In book 2, chapter 2, how does Bertha Dorset intend to clear her own name regarding the rumors about her and Ned Silverton?
(a) She is going to confront Carry Fischer about spreading gossip.
(b) She is going to blame Lily for the problems between her and George.
(c) She is going to confront George.
(d) She is going to speak to Lawrence Selden.
15. What new job does Lily acquire in book 2, chapter 10?
(a) Working as a secretary for Gus Trenor.
(b) Doing social work for the women in Gerty Farish's charity.
(c) Working with hats.
(d) Cleaning a children's orphanage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Lily because of a scandal involving Mrs. Hatch, her employer?
2. What does George Dorset decide to do after Lily finds him upset on her way back to the yacht?
3. When Lily sits in the park to rest, what is she thinking about her sleep medication?
4. What does Gerty Farish tell Ned Silverton's relatives about his relationship with Bertha Dorset?
5. What is Lily's past relationship with Nettie Struther?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)