|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does George Dorset ask Lily to do while at the Gormers?
(a) Defend herself against Bertha's gossip.
(b) Marry him.
(c) Renew her friendship with Bertha Dorset.
(d) Return to New York City to get away from Bertha.
2. In book 2, chapter 12, what experience with Lawrence Selden does Lily say she will always remember?
(a) Seeing each other at the wedding of Lily's cousin, Jack Stepney.
(b) Their conversation at Bellomont.
(c) Meeting at the train on the way to Bellomont.
(d) Seeing each other in Europe.
3. How does Lily feel in her new position in book 2, chapter 9?
4. Who does Lily visit the morning after Simon Rosedale makes his offer to her?
(a) Lawrence Selden.
(b) Gus Trenor.
(c) Bertha Dorset.
(d) Simon Rosedale.
5. In book 2, chapter 9, what does Lawrence Selden want Lily to do regarding her new position and living situation?
(a) Continue the work and keep her current living arrangements.
(b) Quit and marry him.
(c) Continue the work and move to a more desirable location.
(d) Quit and move in with Gerty Farish.
6. In book 2, chapter 8, what does the situation with Bertha Dorset cause Ned Silverton to do?
(a) Ned threatens George Dorset.
(b) Ned resorts to gambling and causes his family to look for ways to support themselves.
(c) Ned spends all his money on expensive gifts for Bertha.
(d) Ned commits suicide.
7. When Lily returns from Alaska, what advice does Carry Fischer give her ?
(a) Lily must pay back her loan to Gus Trenor as soon as possible.
(b) Lily must marry as soon as possible.
(c) Lily needs to tell everyone the truth about what happened in Europe.
(d) Lily needs to stay away from George Dorset.
8. Why is George Dorset at the Gormer's home at the same time Lily was there?
(a) Bertha Dorset is visiting Mrs. Gormer.
(b) Lily asked him to come.
(c) The Gormers are having a party.
(d) George Dorset is involved in a business deal with Mr. Gormer.
9. What does Lily intend to do with her inheritance from her aunt?
(a) Donate it to Gerty Farish's charity for poor women.
(b) Buy her own yacht.
(c) Buy her way into a higher social circle.
(d) Repay Gus Trenor.
10. How does Gerty Farish feel about Lily's trip to Alaska?
(a) She doesn't voice her opinion.
(b) She encourages Lily to go.
(c) She disapproves.
(d) She is envious of Lily.
11. When does Mrs. Gormer's attitude change toward Lily?
(a) When Lily announces she is returning to New York City.
(b) After Bertha Dorset speaks with Mrs. Gormer.
(c) When Mrs. Gormer discovers Lily asked George Dorset to come to their house.
(d) When Lily forgets to send a party invitation to an important member of their social circle.
12. Who gains the most from Lily's aunt's will?
(b) Gerty Farish's charity for poor women.
(c) Grace Stepney.
(d) Jack Stepney.
13. What happens to Lily because of a scandal involving Mrs. Hatch, her employer?
(a) Lily is without a job and a place to stay.
(b) Lily asks for help from Lawrence Selden.
(c) Lily must leave the city.
(d) Lily must consider taking a job as a cleaning woman in an orphanage.
14. At four o'clock in the afternoon, who is supposed to visit Lily, but doesn't show ?
(a) Lawrence Selden.
(b) Simon Rosedale.
(c) Gus Trenor.
(d) Gerty Farish.
15. What type of work does Carry Fischer find for Lily?
(a) Executive secretary.
(b) Social worker.
(c) Social secretary.
(d) Bank secretary.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lawrence Selden spend so much time working since he visited the Trenor home three months ago?
2. According to Bertha's lover Ned Silverton, what issue is causing problems between Bertha and Lily?
3. How does Lily react to Lawrence Selden's request regarding her new job and living arrangements in book 2, chapter 9?
4. What does Lawrence Selden tell Lily about the Dorsets' possible divorce?
5. What is Lily exposed to as a result of her new position?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)