|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is George Dorset at the Gormer's home at the same time Lily was there?
(a) Lily asked him to come.
(b) The Gormers are having a party.
(c) George Dorset is involved in a business deal with Mr. Gormer.
(d) Bertha Dorset is visiting Mrs. Gormer.
2. In book 2, chapter 10, how does Lily react to Simon Rosedale's offer of help ?
(a) She refuses.
(b) She laughs at him.
(c) She tearfully and gratefully accepts.
(d) She asks for time to think about it.
3. How does Lily relate Ned Silverton's situation with Bertha Dorset to her own life?
(a) Lily is afraid she will become poor and need to support herself.
(b) Lily is relieved that Ned Silverton occupies Bertha's time, so Bertha leaves Lily alone.
(c) Lily thinks it is quite romantic and wishes the same from her future husband.
(d) Lily is excited that she is now free to marry George Dorset.
4. In book 2, chapter 12, what experience with Lawrence Selden does Lily say she will always remember?
(a) Meeting at the train on the way to Bellomont.
(b) Their conversation at Bellomont.
(c) Seeing each other at the wedding of Lily's cousin, Jack Stepney.
(d) Seeing each other in Europe.
5. At lunch in Monte Carlo, how does Lawrence Selden feel after his discussion about Lily with Carry Fischer ?
6. What does Lily's aunt assume Lily's debt is for?
(a) A vacation.
7. Why does Lawrence Selden spend so much time working since he visited the Trenor home three months ago?
(a) He and Gus Trenor are involved in a real estate business deal.
(b) Lawrence Selden is Mrs. Trenor's divorce lawyer.
(c) Lawrence Selden is working to pay off Lily's debt to Gus Trenor.
(d) To get over Lily.
8. What does Simon Rosedale tell Lily to do with the letters she purchased from Lawrence Selden's cleaning woman?
(a) Give the letters back to Lawrence Selden.
(b) Use the letters to blackmail George and Bertha Dorset into clearing her name.
(c) Burn the letters.
(d) Give the letters to him for safekeeping.
9. Why does Lily decide she can't give Bertha Dorset the letters that Bertha and Lawrence Selden wrote to each other?
(a) She is afraid the letters will create a relationship between Bertha Dorset and Lawrence Selden.
(b) She doesn't want to betray Bertha Dorset.
(c) Lily can't betray Lawrence Selden.
(d) She is afraid of revenge from Bertha Dorset.
10. In book 2, chapter 2, how does Bertha Dorset intend to clear her own name regarding the rumors about her and Ned Silverton?
(a) She is going to confront George.
(b) She is going to blame Lily for the problems between her and George.
(c) She is going to speak to Lawrence Selden.
(d) She is going to confront Carry Fischer about spreading gossip.
11. In book 2, chapter 11, why doesn't Lily have a job?
(a) She quit.
(b) She took a leave of absence.
(c) The place at which she worked closed down.
(d) She was fired.
12. What does Lily receive when she returns home after leaving Nettie Struther?
(a) An eviction notice for not paying the rent.
(b) Her inheritance check for $10,000.
(c) A delivery of additional sleeping medication from the chemist.
(d) A long letter from Simon Rosedale begging her to marry him.
13. When Lily finds Simon Rosedale waiting for her at her room in book 2, chapter 11, what does he offer Lily?
(a) A job working for him.
(b) Intevening for her with Bertha Dorset.
(c) A loan to repay Gus Trenor.
(d) A new place to live.
14. How does Lily feel about being accepted into the new social circle Carry Fischer introduced her to ?
15. Why does Lily go to Alaska?
(a) Carry Fischer suggests there will be wealthy bachelors on the trip.
(b) Carry Fischer suggests Lily take her place with Carry Fischer's new family.
(c) Wealthy distant relatives of Lily live in Alaska.
(d) Carry Fischer suggests that Lily find a new place to start over.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lily's reaction after aunt's will is read?
2. In book 1, chapter 1, what concerns Lawrence Selden and Lord Hubert Dacey about Lily?
3. What happens in book 1, chapter 15, as Lily is about to accept Simon Rosedale's marriage proposal?
4. What is Lily's alternative to her new position?
5. What is Lily concerned about when she wakes up at Gerty's the morning after her argument with Gus Trenor?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)