|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 10, where does Simon Rosedale invite Lily to go?
(a) A party at his apartment.
(b) The opera.
(c) A camp in the Adirondacks.
(d) An exclusive fundraising event.
2. Who is Mrs. Van Osburgh?
(a) A divorced party guest.
(b) The hostess of the party at Bellomont.
(c) Lily's aunt, with whom she resides.
(d) A wealthy social rival of Mrs. Trenor.
3. Why is Lily angry with herself following the meeting with Simon Rosedale as she was leaving Lawrence Selden's apartment building?
(a) She is angry because of the way she treated Simon Rosedale.
(b) She is angry for letting herself be seen talking to Simon Rosedale.
(c) She is angry because she didn't think quickly enough to give a satisfactory explanation for being there.
(d) She is angry becase she forgot to ask Simon Rosedale for a loan.
4. What is Gerty's financial situation at the beginning of the story?
(a) She is homeless, having lost everything to a conniving ex-fiance.
(b) She lives with an aunt who finances her extravagant lifestyle.
(c) She is poor and has to work to support her meager lifestyle.
(d) She is an heiress, independently wealthy.
5. How does Lily spend the first night of the party at Bellomont?
(b) Searching for eligible bachelors.
(c) Playing bridge.
(d) Playing poker.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lily feel when she learns that Gus Trenor told Simon Rosedale about their financial arrangement?
2. What does Lily want from Lawrence at the beginning of the story?
3. Why does Mrs. Trenor ask Lily, instead of Carry Fischer, to go to the train station to pick up her husband ?
4. Why is Lily Bart waiting for a train when she is first introduced in the book?
5. How does Lily feel about Gerty's living conditions at the beginning of the story?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)