|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lily acquire letters found by Mrs. Haffen, Lawrence Selden's cleaning lady?
(a) Mrs. Haffen leaves them outside Lily's door.
(b) Lily finds them in Mrs. Haffen's cleaning supplies.
(c) Mrs. Haffen sells the letters to Lily.
(d) After Mrs. Haffen finds them, she gives them to Lawrence Selden, who gives them to Lily.
2. How does Lily view the results of her activities the first night of the party?
(a) She doesn't take the possibility of a stalker seriously.
(b) She views her gambling losses as a small price to pay to remain in her social circle.
(c) She panics, worried she will be dropped from her social circle.
(d) She considers the possibilty of revenge by a hurt party-goer silly.
3. Why does Mrs. Trenor ask Lily, instead of Carry Fischer, to go to the train station to pick up her husband ?
(a) Gus specifically requests that Lily pick him up at the train station.
(b) Carry Fischer always asks Gus Trenor for money.
(c) Carry Fischer is too flirtatious.
(d) Carry Fischer has a questionable reputation.
4. In book 1, chapter 10, why does Lily want to avoid seeing Gus Trenor?
(a) He is threatening to have her ousted from her social circle.
(b) He is pressuring her to spend time with him.
(c) He is pressuring Lily for more money.
(d) He is threatening to tell Mrs. Trenor about their financial arrangement.
5. What is Lily's reaction when she sees Lawrence Selden while she is waiting for her train?
(a) She cries.
(b) She is happy to see him.
(c) She avoids him.
(d) She sends her companion to get him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lily feel when she learns that Gus Trenor told Simon Rosedale about their financial arrangement?
2. What problem might Lily have as shown by the results of her activities the first night of the party?
3. What does Lily realize as she chats with Gus Trenor on the way home from the train station?
4. Who is Gerty Farish?
5. Where does The House of Mirth take place?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)