|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lily acquire letters found by Mrs. Haffen, Lawrence Selden's cleaning lady?
(a) After Mrs. Haffen finds them, she gives them to Lawrence Selden, who gives them to Lily.
(b) Lily finds them in Mrs. Haffen's cleaning supplies.
(c) Mrs. Haffen sells the letters to Lily.
(d) Mrs. Haffen leaves them outside Lily's door.
2. Why is Lily Bart waiting for a train when she is first introduced in the book?
(a) She is waiting for an old friend.
(b) She is going on vacation.
(c) She is going to a social engagement.
(d) She is going to work.
3. What is Lily's reaction when Lawrence suggests that they have tea at a popular cafe near the train station while Lily waits for her train?
(a) She becomes nervous and agitated.
(b) She says she prefers a less popular location.
(c) She declines his invitation because she is afraid she will miss her train.
(d) She immediately agrees.
4. What does Lily hope will develop from the time she spent with Percy Gryce on the train to the party?
(a) An offer of a loan.
(b) A marriage proposal.
(c) An introduction to one of Percy's high-placed colleagues.
(d) Investment advice.
5. What does Lily realize as she chats with Gus Trenor on the way home from the train station?
(a) She is attracted to Gus Trenor.
(b) Gus Trenor is attracted to her.
(c) Gus Trenor can speak to Percy Gryce for her.
(d) He can help her with her money problems.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who appears at the party at Bellomont at the end of the third day?
2. What disturbs the moment of closeness between Lawrence Selden and Lily on their walk together?
3. Who is Mrs. Van Osburgh?
4. Where does Lily acquire the knowledge to discuss Percy's hobby?
5. When does Lily run into Simon Rosedale?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)