|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Lyons credit to Sir Charles?
2. Who is L.L.?
3. What manner of narration is used in Chapter 10?
4. Why did Holmes lie about being in London to Watson?
5. Why did Mrs. Lyons wish to meet with Sir Charles so secretly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider Holmes as a person. What about him is similar to the criminals he chases? What is different? With these elements in mind, argue that the only thing separating Holmes from being a criminal himself is his morals. Be sure to cite specific examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the three options to write about.
1) Holmes's recognition of Stapleton in the portrait.
2) The lineage of the Baskervilles.
3) The odd habits of the people on the moor.
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of using Watson as the narrator? In your answer, discuss how he is the everyman, whether his responses are meant to mirror those of the reader, and how the plot unfolds through his eyes.
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)