|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Holmes lie about being in London to Watson?
2. Because of the convict and out of concern for the Stapletons, what did Sir Henry offer to them, which Stapleton turned down?
3. After leaving Frankland's manor, where does Watson go?
4. How is Chapter 8 narrated?
5. What happens when Sir Henry begins his walk home?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the three options to write about.
1) Holmes's recognition of Stapleton in the portrait.
2) The lineage of the Baskervilles.
3) The odd habits of the people on the moor.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following topics to write about. In each topic, cite specific examples from the novel to hold up your arguments.
1) Mrs. Barrymore's relationship to her brother. How does this frame the overall plot?
2) Mrs. Stapleton's role in her husband's plots. Is she completely innocent or does she hold some culpability?
3) Frankland's lawsuits. What is the role of Frankland's pastime in this book?
Essay Topic 3
Arthur Conan Doyle relies heavily on symbolism in one part of the story to reflect upon another. With this in mind, choose one of the following topics to write about.
1) The symbolism of the hound.
2) The symbolism of the Grimpen Mire.
3) The symbolism of Stapleton's butterflies.
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)