|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Lyons credit to Sir Charles?
2. While searching for Selden on the moor, what frightens both Sir Henry and Watson?
3. On the moor, what does Watson find himself unable to do?
4. Who arrives from London to help Holmes?
5. Who approaches Watson and Holmes after the discovery of the body on the moor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Watson's impressions of the stone hut?
2. Why did Laura Lyons need so much help?
3. What contributes to the dark mood around Baskerville Hall at the beginning of Chapter 10?
4. Why is Sir Henry upset with Watson and Holmes?
5. Why does Frankland file so many lawsuits?
6. How did Stapleton deceive Mrs. Lyons?
7. Why does Stapleton appear to oppose a match between his sister and Sir Henry?
8. What does Watson believe about the supernatural possibilities of the hound?
9. What is the arrangement between Selden and the Barrymores, and how did it come to be?
10. How did Holmes survive all those weeks on the moor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Images of hell, demons, and death are abundant through this novel. Citing specific examples, discuss why these are the prevalent images from this story and how their use builds up an atmosphere of suspense and tension.
Essay Topic 2
How does Holmes piece together Stapleton's plot? Discuss each of his steps and discoveries thoroughly, as well as his method.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss, from the very beginning, the extent of Stapleton's plot. How was he planning on murdering Sir Charles and, later, Sir Henry? By what means? For what? How does his plotting and adaptability reflect upon his intelligence?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)