Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Holmes lie about being in London to Watson?
2. Because of the convict and out of concern for the Stapletons, what did Sir Henry offer to them, which Stapleton turned down?
3. After leaving Frankland's manor, where does Watson go?
4. How is Chapter 8 narrated?
5. What happens when Sir Henry begins his walk home?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the three options to write about.
1) Holmes's recognition of Stapleton in the portrait.
2) The lineage of the Baskervilles.
3) The odd habits of the people on the moor.
Essay Topic 2
The hound of legend is wholly a creature from the moors. In fact, throughout the novel, it seems as if the characters (as depicted by Watson) are constantly battling the elements of the moor and how it makes them feel, from the weather to the landmarks to the hound itself. Discuss in detail how the characters are set against the moor and what it means to the story. Be sure to give strong examples and explain them thoroughly.
Essay Topic 3
Laura Lyons, Mrs. Stapleton, and Mrs. Barrymore all have contentious relationships with men in their lives (Stapleton and Selden, respectively). Discuss their relationships and how they reflect upon their characters. Additionally, discuss whether the author is making a statement about the dependability of these women or how they are dependent upon the men.
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)