|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Barrymore tell Watson about the mysterious man on the moor?
2. Why did Holmes lie about being in London to Watson?
3. What was spread over the hound to give it a ghoulish look?
4. Watson tells Sir Henry that the postmaster claims that the telegram was actually delivered to Mrs. Barrymore, and Barrymore himself was nowhere in sight. When Sir Henry questions his servant, what does Barrymore reveal to Sir Henry?
5. What revelation upsets Laura Lyons?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the hound and the men mistake Selden for Sir Henry?
2. What are Holmes's instructions to Cartwright and why is it significant?
3. What contributes to the dark mood around Baskerville Hall at the beginning of Chapter 10?
4. What reason does Stapleton give for his objection to Sir Henry courting his sister?
5. What is the arrangement between Selden and the Barrymores, and how did it come to be?
6. Why did Laura Lyons need so much help?
7. Why did Barrymore not tell anyone about the burnt letter?
8. Why is Sir Henry upset with Watson and Holmes?
9. What happens when Sir Henry walks out of Stapleton's house?
10. What is suspicious of Barrymore's behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the three options to write about.
1) Holmes's recognition of Stapleton in the portrait.
2) The lineage of the Baskervilles.
3) The odd habits of the people on the moor.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of foreshadowing in this novel. Using at least three examples, discuss how they are used to indicate the next turn of the plot.
Essay Topic 3
What are the dynamics of Holmes and Watson's relationship? How do they work together to solve the case? How do Watson and Holmes reflect upon each other?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)