|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Stapleton seem opposed?
2. What sort of dog is the hound?
3. What happens when Sir Henry begins his walk home?
4. Who arrives from London to help Holmes?
5. What does Mrs. Barrymore confess?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Barrymore not tell anyone about the burnt letter?
2. Why was Holmes able to recognize Stapleton's features in Hugo Baskerville?
3. Why does Watson refer to Mr. Frankland as much needed "comic relief?"
4. What reason does Stapleton give for his objection to Sir Henry courting his sister?
5. What is significant about the discovery of Sir Henry's boot in Grimpen Mire?
6. What are Holmes's instructions to Cartwright and why is it significant?
7. According to Mrs. Barrymore, how did Selden become the man he is?
8. What does Mrs. Stapleton reveal about her husband?
9. What happens when Sir Henry walks out of Stapleton's house?
10. Why did Laura Lyons need so much help?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain deduction. How is it used by the characters in the novel? Why is it so necessary for Holmes to see only the facts and to never actually theorize? Is this a realistic approach to unraveling mysteries? Why or why not? Cite specific examples from the text to back up your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
In this novel, love is turned into something to be used against a person to make them do the other person's bidding. Discuss love as a weapon in this novel, citing strong, specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of foreshadowing in this novel. Using at least three examples, discuss how they are used to indicate the next turn of the plot.
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)