|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of business did the people on the moor help L.L. set up?
2. Why did Mrs. Lyons wish to meet with Sir Charles so secretly?
3. After learning that Mrs. Barrymore answered the telegram for her husband, what does Watson observe about the lady?
4. According to Barrymore, what is the plan for Selden?
5. What state is Sir Henry left in after the attack and the truth about the Stapletons is revealed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Holmes able to recognize Stapleton's features in Hugo Baskerville?
2. What are Watson's impressions of the mysterious figure he sees on the tor?
3. What are Watson's fanciful impressions of the moor in his letter to Holmes?
4. Why does Stapleton appear to oppose a match between his sister and Sir Henry?
5. What are Watson's impressions of the stone hut?
6. What does the hound look like?
7. Why can Holmes not arrest Stapleton?
8. What is significant about the discovery of Sir Henry's boot in Grimpen Mire?
9. What does Mrs. Stapleton reveal about her husband?
10. Why does Frankland file so many lawsuits?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Arthur Conan Doyle relies heavily on symbolism in one part of the story to reflect upon another. With this in mind, choose one of the following topics to write about.
1) The symbolism of the hound.
2) The symbolism of the Grimpen Mire.
3) The symbolism of Stapleton's butterflies.
Essay Topic 2
In this novel, love is turned into something to be used against a person to make them do the other person's bidding. Discuss love as a weapon in this novel, citing strong, specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the similarities between Selden and the hound. Pay particular attention to how each one is treated by the affected parties and how the two of them are described, citing specific examples from the text. Ultimately, what is the purpose of making these two characters so similar in nature?
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)