Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Holmes lie about being in London to Watson?
2. Because of the convict and out of concern for the Stapletons, what did Sir Henry offer to them, which Stapleton turned down?
3. After leaving Frankland's manor, where does Watson go?
4. How is Chapter 8 narrated?
5. What happens when Sir Henry begins his walk home?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of foreshadowing in this novel. Using at least three examples, discuss how they are used to indicate the next turn of the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Watson is initially hurt by Holmes's deception of living on the moor, despite Holmes's assurances that Watson's efforts have not been in vain. How do Watson's feelings on this matter reflect upon his character and his relationship with Holmes? How does Holmes's deception and his reaction to Watson discovering him reflect upon himself?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the themes of reality and superstition as they relate to this novel. Take into account the story of the Baskerville hound and how different people react to the events around them. Consider who reacts most viscerally to the idea that the hound is supernatural and who believes most firmly that the hound is not.
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)