Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Holmes lie about being in London to Watson?
2. Because of the convict and out of concern for the Stapletons, what did Sir Henry offer to them, which Stapleton turned down?
3. After leaving Frankland's manor, where does Watson go?
4. How is Chapter 8 narrated?
5. What happens when Sir Henry begins his walk home?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss, from the very beginning, the extent of Stapleton's plot. How was he planning on murdering Sir Charles and, later, Sir Henry? By what means? For what? How does his plotting and adaptability reflect upon his intelligence?
Essay Topic 2
Arthur Conan Doyle relies heavily on symbolism in one part of the story to reflect upon another. With this in mind, choose one of the following topics to write about.
1) The symbolism of the hound.
2) The symbolism of the Grimpen Mire.
3) The symbolism of Stapleton's butterflies.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following themes to write about. Cite specific examples from the book and discuss how the theme affects the overall plot.
1) Reality versus legend.
2) Good versus evil.
3) Nature versus nurture.
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)