|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Watson witness when he follows Sir Henry?
2. Why did Mrs. Lyons wish to meet with Sir Charles on the night of his death?
3. What is Mr. Frankland's favorite pastime?
4. What state is Sir Henry left in after the attack and the truth about the Stapletons is revealed?
5. Who approaches Watson and Holmes after the discovery of the body on the moor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can Holmes not arrest Stapleton?
2. What happens when Sir Henry walks out of Stapleton's house?
3. Why does Stapleton appear to oppose a match between his sister and Sir Henry?
4. What reason does Stapleton give for his objection to Sir Henry courting his sister?
5. What is the arrangement between Selden and the Barrymores, and how did it come to be?
6. What is Mrs. Lyons's relationship to Sir Charles?
7. What does Watson believe about the supernatural possibilities of the hound?
8. What are Watson's impressions of the mysterious figure he sees on the tor?
9. What does Mrs. Stapleton reveal about her husband?
10. How did Stapleton deceive Mrs. Lyons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Holmes piece together Stapleton's plot? Discuss each of his steps and discoveries thoroughly, as well as his method.
Essay Topic 2
In this novel, love is turned into something to be used against a person to make them do the other person's bidding. Discuss love as a weapon in this novel, citing strong, specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss, from the very beginning, the extent of Stapleton's plot. How was he planning on murdering Sir Charles and, later, Sir Henry? By what means? For what? How does his plotting and adaptability reflect upon his intelligence?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)