|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What state is Sir Henry left in after the attack and the truth about the Stapletons is revealed?
2. Who approaches Watson and Holmes after the discovery of the body on the moor?
3. Why is Watson glad to see Holmes after going to the stone hut?
4. Who is the man that was killed on the moor?
5. According to the letter to Holmes, what is the status on the escaped convict?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the hound and the men mistake Selden for Sir Henry?
2. Why does Stapleton appear to oppose a match between his sister and Sir Henry?
3. Why is Watson hurt about Holmes's deception?
4. Why does Frankland file so many lawsuits?
5. Why is Sir Henry upset with Watson and Holmes?
6. What reason does Stapleton give for his objection to Sir Henry courting his sister?
7. What are Watson's impressions of the stone hut?
8. How did Holmes survive all those weeks on the moor?
9. What are Holmes's instructions to Cartwright and why is it significant?
10. What is the arrangement between Selden and the Barrymores, and how did it come to be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss, from the very beginning, the extent of Stapleton's plot. How was he planning on murdering Sir Charles and, later, Sir Henry? By what means? For what? How does his plotting and adaptability reflect upon his intelligence?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of foreshadowing in this novel. Using at least three examples, discuss how they are used to indicate the next turn of the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the three options to write about.
1) Holmes's recognition of Stapleton in the portrait.
2) The lineage of the Baskervilles.
3) The odd habits of the people on the moor.
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)