|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Watson believe is the identity of the man on the moor?
2. Why did Stapleton tie up and gag his wife?
3. Who approaches Watson and Holmes after the discovery of the body on the moor?
4. What has excited Dr. Mortimer?
5. Because of the convict and out of concern for the Stapletons, what did Sir Henry offer to them, which Stapleton turned down?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Stapleton appear to oppose a match between his sister and Sir Henry?
2. How did Stapleton deceive Mrs. Lyons?
3. According to Mrs. Barrymore, how did Selden become the man he is?
4. Why is Watson hurt about Holmes's deception?
5. What is significant about the discovery of Sir Henry's boot in Grimpen Mire?
6. Why does Laura Lyons live in Coombe Tracey?
7. What does the hound look like?
8. What are Watson's fanciful impressions of the moor in his letter to Holmes?
9. How did Holmes survive all those weeks on the moor?
10. What are Watson's impressions of the stone hut?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of using Watson as the narrator? In your answer, discuss how he is the everyman, whether his responses are meant to mirror those of the reader, and how the plot unfolds through his eyes.
Essay Topic 2
Watson is initially hurt by Holmes's deception of living on the moor, despite Holmes's assurances that Watson's efforts have not been in vain. How do Watson's feelings on this matter reflect upon his character and his relationship with Holmes? How does Holmes's deception and his reaction to Watson discovering him reflect upon himself?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of foreshadowing in this novel. Using at least three examples, discuss how they are used to indicate the next turn of the plot.
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)