|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Holmes's discovery of the portrait reveal?
2. Who is L.L.?
3. How does Mr. Frankland spend his time when at home?
4. Watson tells Sir Henry that the postmaster claims that the telegram was actually delivered to Mrs. Barrymore, and Barrymore himself was nowhere in sight. When Sir Henry questions his servant, what does Barrymore reveal to Sir Henry?
5. According to Barrymore, what is the plan for Selden?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the arrangement between Selden and the Barrymores, and how did it come to be?
2. How did Holmes survive all those weeks on the moor?
3. What is Mrs. Lyons's relationship to Sir Charles?
4. According to Mrs. Barrymore, how did Selden become the man he is?
5. How did Stapleton deceive Mrs. Lyons?
6. What are Watson's fanciful impressions of the moor in his letter to Holmes?
7. What does the hound look like?
8. What is significant about the discovery of Sir Henry's boot in Grimpen Mire?
9. Why does Laura Lyons live in Coombe Tracey?
10. Why did Barrymore not tell anyone about the burnt letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Images of hell, demons, and death are abundant through this novel. Citing specific examples, discuss why these are the prevalent images from this story and how their use builds up an atmosphere of suspense and tension.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss, from the very beginning, the extent of Stapleton's plot. How was he planning on murdering Sir Charles and, later, Sir Henry? By what means? For what? How does his plotting and adaptability reflect upon his intelligence?
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of using Watson as the narrator? In your answer, discuss how he is the everyman, whether his responses are meant to mirror those of the reader, and how the plot unfolds through his eyes.
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)