|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Holmes's discovery of the portrait reveal?
2. What sort of dog is the hound?
3. How did Holmes know it was Watson in his hut?
4. What does Watson keep hearing from the moor?
5. What possible motive for Barrymore's strange behavior does Watson surmise?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Sir Henry walks out of Stapleton's house?
2. Why is Sir Henry upset with Watson and Holmes?
3. Why did Laura Lyons need so much help?
4. According to Mrs. Barrymore, how did Selden become the man he is?
5. What does the hound look like?
6. How did Holmes survive all those weeks on the moor?
7. What does Mrs. Stapleton reveal about her husband?
8. Why does Watson refer to Mr. Frankland as much needed "comic relief?"
9. What is Mrs. Lyons's relationship to Sir Charles?
10. What reason does Stapleton give for his objection to Sir Henry courting his sister?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following themes to write about. Cite specific examples from the book and discuss how the theme affects the overall plot.
1) Reality versus legend.
2) Good versus evil.
3) Nature versus nurture.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss, from the very beginning, the extent of Stapleton's plot. How was he planning on murdering Sir Charles and, later, Sir Henry? By what means? For what? How does his plotting and adaptability reflect upon his intelligence?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of deception and identity concealment in this novel. Pay particular attention to who does this and why they do it, especially in regards to the overall plot.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)