|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Chapter 8 narrated?
2. To what does Stapleton seem opposed?
3. What does Barrymore tell Watson about the mysterious man on the moor?
4. In his correspondence with Holmes, what happens the previous night that rouses Watson's suspicion?
5. How does the hound die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the arrangement between Selden and the Barrymores, and how did it come to be?
2. How did Stapleton deceive Mrs. Lyons?
3. Why can Holmes not arrest Stapleton?
4. Why did Barrymore not tell anyone about the burnt letter?
5. According to Mrs. Barrymore, how did Selden become the man he is?
6. What contributes to the dark mood around Baskerville Hall at the beginning of Chapter 10?
7. What are Watson's impressions of the stone hut?
8. What happens when Sir Henry walks out of Stapleton's house?
9. What are Watson's impressions of the mysterious figure he sees on the tor?
10. What does Mrs. Stapleton reveal about her husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of foreshadowing in this novel. Using at least three examples, discuss how they are used to indicate the next turn of the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the three options to write about.
1) Holmes's recognition of Stapleton in the portrait.
2) The lineage of the Baskervilles.
3) The odd habits of the people on the moor.
Essay Topic 3
What are the dynamics of Holmes and Watson's relationship? How do they work together to solve the case? How do Watson and Holmes reflect upon each other?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)