|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the actual reason for Dr. Mortimer's consultation with Holmes?
2. Though he is described as godless, what in particular made Hugo notorious?
3. When Dr. Mortimer arrives at the rooms, what is revealed that annoys Holmes?
4. What is a favored study of Dr. Mortimer?
5. How did the cabman describe the bearded man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Holmes's deductions of Dr. Mortimer from his walking-stick, and how did he arrive at them?
2. Why does Holmes want Watson to report only the facts to him?
3. How does Dr. Mortimer view Holmes and why?
4. Why does Holmes go into complete seclusion for the rest of the day?
5. Sir Henry uses the term "dime novel" to suggest his feelings on the whole matter. What does this say about Sir Henry?
6. What is significant about the fact that Mrs. Barrymore received the telegram instead of her husband?
7. What is significant about Holmes's deduction that Sir Charles was actually running?
8. Why is Holmes disappointed in Dr. Mortimer?
9. What three leads turn out to be dead-ends for this case?
10. What is Stapleton's theory about how Sir Charles died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following topics to write about. In each topic, cite specific examples from the novel to hold up your arguments.
1) Mrs. Barrymore's relationship to her brother. How does this frame the overall plot?
2) Mrs. Stapleton's role in her husband's plots. Is she completely innocent or does she hold some culpability?
3) Frankland's lawsuits. What is the role of Frankland's pastime in this book?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the themes of reality and superstition as they relate to this novel. Take into account the story of the Baskerville hound and how different people react to the events around them. Consider who reacts most viscerally to the idea that the hound is supernatural and who believes most firmly that the hound is not.
Essay Topic 3
What are the dynamics of Holmes and Watson's relationship? How do they work together to solve the case? How do Watson and Holmes reflect upon each other?
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)