Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Holmes change his mind about Sir Henry going to Baskerville Hall?
2. What is the object left behind on which Watson tries to deduce a reconstruction of the mysterious owner?
3. What does Watson observe that Sir Henry has inherited from his ancestors?
4. What is the address of the rooms that Watson and Holmes share?
5. What is Stapleton's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Sir Henry upset with Watson and Holmes?
2. Why can Holmes not arrest Stapleton?
3. What is significant about Stapleton returning the brown boot, only to steal the black boot?
4. How did Stapleton deceive Mrs. Lyons?
5. What is significant about the letter being made up of words from the London Times?
6. What is Stapleton's theory about how Sir Charles died?
7. How did Holmes survive all those weeks on the moor?
8. Why did Dr. Mortimer advise Sir Charles to go to London?
9. Why does Watson now suspect Barrymore is the murderer?
10. What are Watson's impressions of the stone hut?
Essay Topic 1
Arthur Conan Doyle relies heavily on symbolism in one part of the story to reflect upon another. With this in mind, choose one of the following topics to write about.
1) The symbolism of the hound.
2) The symbolism of the Grimpen Mire.
3) The symbolism of Stapleton's butterflies.
Essay Topic 2
How is the moor an active character in this novel? What are characteristics of the moor? Is it just as important as Holmes or Stapleton? Why or why not? How would this story be altered if the setting were not as strange as Devonshire?
Essay Topic 3
Images of hell, demons, and death are abundant through this novel. Citing specific examples, discuss why these are the prevalent images from this story and how their use builds up an atmosphere of suspense and tension.
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)