|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What impression does Watson have of Baskerville Hall in the morning in Chapter 7?
2. What newspaper does Holmes find the original newsprint from?
3. What do Watson and Stapleton see at the bog-hole?
4. While Watson is in Baskerville Hall, what is the only thing he is to report to Holmes?
5. What does Holmes have Watson send up to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Dr. Mortimer advise Sir Charles to go to London?
2. What are Holmes's deductions of Dr. Mortimer from his walking-stick, and how did he arrive at them?
3. Why does Holmes go into complete seclusion for the rest of the day?
4. Why is Watson unable to sleep soundly on his first night at Baskerville Hall?
5. What is significant about the fact that Mrs. Barrymore received the telegram instead of her husband?
6. Sir Henry uses the term "dime novel" to suggest his feelings on the whole matter. What does this say about Sir Henry?
7. What is the significance of the strange discovery by Sir Charles's body?
8. Who is Selden and why is he significant to everyone?
9. Why is Dr. Mortimer concerned about Sir Henry's safety?
10. How does Watson feel about Sir Henry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Watson is initially hurt by Holmes's deception of living on the moor, despite Holmes's assurances that Watson's efforts have not been in vain. How do Watson's feelings on this matter reflect upon his character and his relationship with Holmes? How does Holmes's deception and his reaction to Watson discovering him reflect upon himself?
Essay Topic 2
Laura Lyons, Mrs. Stapleton, and Mrs. Barrymore all have contentious relationships with men in their lives (Stapleton and Selden, respectively). Discuss their relationships and how they reflect upon their characters. Additionally, discuss whether the author is making a statement about the dependability of these women or how they are dependent upon the men.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss, from the very beginning, the extent of Stapleton's plot. How was he planning on murdering Sir Charles and, later, Sir Henry? By what means? For what? How does his plotting and adaptability reflect upon his intelligence?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)