|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Holmes relax after his day of thinking?
2. What does Watson hear coming from the moor?
3. Who is Sir Charles's heir?
4. What does the postmaster inadvertently reveal to Watson?
5. What does Holmes advise to Watson before Watson leaves for Devonshire with Sir Henry and Dr. Mortimer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Stapleton's theory about how Sir Charles died?
2. What is dangerous about the Grimpen Mire?
3. What is the relationship between Sir Charles and Dr. Mortimer?
4. What are Holmes's deductions of Dr. Mortimer from his walking-stick, and how did he arrive at them?
5. Why is Holmes disappointed in Dr. Mortimer?
6. Based on Watson's examination of the walking-stick, how does he describe Dr. Mortimer?
7. What three leads turn out to be dead-ends for this case?
8. Why does Watson say that Sir Henry appears to have inherited the Baskerville temper?
9. Who is Selden and why is he significant to everyone?
10. Why does Watson now suspect Barrymore is the murderer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following themes to write about. Cite specific examples from the book and discuss how the theme affects the overall plot.
1) Reality versus legend.
2) Good versus evil.
3) Nature versus nurture.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the similarities between Selden and the hound. Pay particular attention to how each one is treated by the affected parties and how the two of them are described, citing specific examples from the text. Ultimately, what is the purpose of making these two characters so similar in nature?
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of using Watson as the narrator? In your answer, discuss how he is the everyman, whether his responses are meant to mirror those of the reader, and how the plot unfolds through his eyes.
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)