Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Holmes change his mind about Sir Henry going to Baskerville Hall?
2. What is the object left behind on which Watson tries to deduce a reconstruction of the mysterious owner?
3. What does Watson observe that Sir Henry has inherited from his ancestors?
4. What is the address of the rooms that Watson and Holmes share?
5. What is Stapleton's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Sir Henry upset with Watson and Holmes?
2. Why can Holmes not arrest Stapleton?
3. What is significant about Stapleton returning the brown boot, only to steal the black boot?
4. How did Stapleton deceive Mrs. Lyons?
5. What is significant about the letter being made up of words from the London Times?
6. What is Stapleton's theory about how Sir Charles died?
7. How did Holmes survive all those weeks on the moor?
8. Why did Dr. Mortimer advise Sir Charles to go to London?
9. Why does Watson now suspect Barrymore is the murderer?
10. What are Watson's impressions of the stone hut?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the similarities between Selden and the hound. Pay particular attention to how each one is treated by the affected parties and how the two of them are described, citing specific examples from the text. Ultimately, what is the purpose of making these two characters so similar in nature?
Essay Topic 2
In this novel, love is turned into something to be used against a person to make them do the other person's bidding. Discuss love as a weapon in this novel, citing strong, specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of deception and identity concealment in this novel. Pay particular attention to who does this and why they do it, especially in regards to the overall plot.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)