|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the letter to Holmes, what is the status on the escaped convict?
(a) The convict has probably died out on the moors.
(b) The convict will likely turn himself in to escape the inhospitable moor.
(c) The convict has likely escaped the area.
(d) The convict will likely be caught soon.
2. Who arrives from London to help Holmes?
(b) Sir Charles.
(d) Stapleton's brother.
3. Why is Watson glad to see Holmes after going to the stone hut?
(a) He was worried for Holmes's safety.
(b) He is scared to walk back to Baskerville Hall alone.
(c) The case is beginning to overwhelm Watson.
(d) He believes he is being followed.
4. According to Holmes and Watson's deductions, who must have sent the message of warning to Sir Henry in London?
(a) Miss Stapleton.
(c) Dr. Mortimer.
5. What must Sir Henry do to help Holmes solve the case?
(a) Sir Henry must blindly do whatever Holmes tells him.
(b) Sir Henry must call to the hound.
(c) Sir Henry must fake his own death.
(d) Sir Henry must learn the lay of the land between his house and Stapleton's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Barrymore make the discovery of why Sir Charles went to the gate the night he died?
2. Why did Stapleton tie up and gag his wife?
3. What is Frankland wishing to celebrate?
4. By mid-October, what lady is beginning to preoccupy Sir Henry's thoughts, according to Watson?
5. On the moor, what does Watson find himself unable to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Watson's impressions of the mysterious figure he sees on the tor?
2. What does Watson believe about the supernatural possibilities of the hound?
3. How did Holmes survive all those weeks on the moor?
4. According to Mrs. Barrymore, how did Selden become the man he is?
5. How did Stapleton deceive Mrs. Lyons?
6. What are Holmes's instructions to Cartwright and why is it significant?
7. What is the arrangement between Selden and the Barrymores, and how did it come to be?
8. What happens when Sir Henry walks out of Stapleton's house?
9. What is suspicious of Barrymore's behavior?
10. Why is Watson hurt about Holmes's deception?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)