|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By mid-October, what lady is beginning to preoccupy Sir Henry's thoughts, according to Watson?
(a) A yeoman's daughter.
(b) Laura Lyons.
(c) Miss Stapleton.
(d) Mrs. Barrymore.
2. What has excited Dr. Mortimer?
(a) He found a prehistoric skull on an excavation.
(b) He found gold in the soil.
(c) He found where the convict is hiding.
(d) He found evidence of the hound.
3. What does Frankland show Watson on his telescope?
(a) Watson sees the hound.
(b) Watson sees the young boy delivering food to the man on the moor.
(c) Watson sees the man on the moor.
(d) Watson sees Sir Henry out by himself.
4. In his gratitude for Sir Henry's decision about Selden, what does Barrymore reveal to Sir Henry and Watson?
(a) Sir Charles was hoping to confront the hound head-on.
(b) Sir Charles was protecting Mrs. Barrymore.
(c) Sir Charles knew he was going to die.
(d) Sir Charles was at the gate to meet a woman.
5. According to Mrs. Lyons, what did she do the night she was to meet with Sir Charles?
(a) She met with Sir Charles and saw the hound.
(b) She was detained by a private matter, but sent a telegram to Sir Charles to not meet her.
(c) She met with Sir Charles, but nothing happened.
(d) She was detained by a private matter and did not make the meeting.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Sir Henry is inside Merripit House, what begins to happen that Holmes fears could disrupt their plan?
2. What do Sir Henry and Watson do to entrap Barrymore?
3. Where do Holmes, Watson, and Lestrade situate themselves?
4. Who is L.L.?
5. What was spread over the hound to give it a ghoulish look?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Holmes survive all those weeks on the moor?
2. What contributes to the dark mood around Baskerville Hall at the beginning of Chapter 10?
3. Why can Holmes not arrest Stapleton?
4. According to Mrs. Barrymore, how did Selden become the man he is?
5. How did Stapleton deceive Mrs. Lyons?
6. What are Watson's impressions of the mysterious figure he sees on the tor?
7. What are Watson's fanciful impressions of the moor in his letter to Holmes?
8. What are Holmes's instructions to Cartwright and why is it significant?
9. Why does Stapleton appear to oppose a match between his sister and Sir Henry?
10. Why does Watson refer to Mr. Frankland as much needed "comic relief?"
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)