|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his gratitude for Sir Henry's decision about Selden, what does Barrymore reveal to Sir Henry and Watson?
(a) Sir Charles was at the gate to meet a woman.
(b) Sir Charles was hoping to confront the hound head-on.
(c) Sir Charles was protecting Mrs. Barrymore.
(d) Sir Charles knew he was going to die.
2. How does the hound die?
(a) The hound is nearly starved to death and collapses from exhaustion.
(b) The hound is chased into the Grimpen Mire.
(c) The hound is caught in a steel trap.
(d) The hound is shot several times by Holmes.
3. Why does Sir Henry decide that they must go capture Selden?
(a) Selden is a dangerous, violent murderer.
(b) He believes that the Stapletons are in danger from Selden.
(c) He wants to get back at the Barrymores.
(d) He wants the reward money.
4. On the moor, what does Watson find himself unable to do?
(a) Reassure Sir Henry that the hound is not real.
(b) Shoot the unarmed convict.
(c) Go further into the Grimpen Mire.
(d) Leave a hurt animal behind.
5. How does Mr. Frankland spend his time when at home?
(a) He spends time with his daughter, who is a painter.
(b) He is writing a history of Devonshire.
(c) He spends time restoring his home.
(d) He uses his telescope to look at the moor, ostensibly for the convict.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of business did the people on the moor help L.L. set up?
2. According to Mrs. Lyons, what did she do the night she was to meet with Sir Charles?
3. Who arrives from London to help Holmes?
4. What does Watson deduce about the candle?
5. What does Holmes's discovery of the portrait reveal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What contributes to the dark mood around Baskerville Hall at the beginning of Chapter 10?
2. What are Watson's impressions of the stone hut?
3. Why can Holmes not arrest Stapleton?
4. According to Mrs. Barrymore, how did Selden become the man he is?
5. How did Holmes survive all those weeks on the moor?
6. What does Mrs. Stapleton reveal about her husband?
7. How did Stapleton deceive Mrs. Lyons?
8. Why does Stapleton appear to oppose a match between his sister and Sir Henry?
9. Why did the hound and the men mistake Selden for Sir Henry?
10. What reason does Stapleton give for his objection to Sir Henry courting his sister?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)