|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Watson tells Sir Henry that the postmaster claims that the telegram was actually delivered to Mrs. Barrymore, and Barrymore himself was nowhere in sight. When Sir Henry questions his servant, what does Barrymore reveal to Sir Henry?
(a) Barrymore admits that he has been walking the halls at night.
(b) Barrymore admits that he sent Sir Henry the warning letter.
(c) Barrymore admits that his wife answered the telegram in his stead.
(d) Barrymore admits that he was the man in London.
2. While returning to Baskerville Hall after trying to find Selden, what does Watson observe on one of the tors?
(a) He sees a tall, thin man looking out on the moor.
(b) He sees Stapleton on the hunt for more insect specimens.
(c) He sees Barrymore running after the convict.
(d) He sees a hound baying at the moon.
3. Who is the man that was killed on the moor?
(d) Dr. Mortimer.
4. To whom does this statement apply: "Evil indeed is the man who has not one woman to mourn him" ?
5. What is Sir Henry to do while at dinner with the Stapletons?
(a) He is to tell them that Sherlock Holmes died on the moors.
(b) He is to tell them that he is walking home alone.
(c) He is to ask Mrs. Stapleton to marry him.
(d) He is to tell Mrs. Stapleton of Mrs. Lyons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Frankland wishing to celebrate?
2. Where do Holmes, Watson, and Lestrade situate themselves?
3. Who is L.L.?
4. Where does Stapleton take Sir Henry and Watson in Chapter 8?
5. What state is Sir Henry left in after the attack and the truth about the Stapletons is revealed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Barrymore not tell anyone about the burnt letter?
2. What are Watson's impressions of the stone hut?
3. Why is Sir Henry upset with Watson and Holmes?
4. What does the hound look like?
5. Why is Watson hurt about Holmes's deception?
6. How did Holmes survive all those weeks on the moor?
7. What are Holmes's instructions to Cartwright and why is it significant?
8. What is suspicious of Barrymore's behavior?
9. Why did the hound and the men mistake Selden for Sir Henry?
10. Why does Frankland file so many lawsuits?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)