|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Because of the convict and out of concern for the Stapletons, what did Sir Henry offer to them, which Stapleton turned down?
(a) The company of Watson.
(b) The company of Sir Henry.
(c) The company of Barrymore.
(d) The company of Perkins, Sir Henry's groom.
2. When Holmes has Watson focus solely on the face in the portrait, what does Watson see?
(a) Stapleton looks exactly like Hugo.
(b) Barrymore looks exactly like Hugo.
(c) Sir Charles and Hugo look identical.
(d) Frankland looks exactly like Hugo.
3. What state is Sir Henry left in after the attack and the truth about the Stapletons is revealed?
(a) Sir Henry becomes murderously angry.
(b) Sir Henry is immensely relieved to be rid of them.
(c) Sir Henry becomes deliriously ill from strain.
(d) Sir Henry is in a vegetative state of shock.
4. To whom does this statement apply: "Evil indeed is the man who has not one woman to mourn him" ?
5. Why did Mrs. Lyons wish to meet with Sir Charles on the night of his death?
(a) She was hoping that he would give his blessing to her divorce.
(b) She needed his help and he was going to be away to London for a long time.
(c) She was hoping that he would propose to her.
(d) She wished to warn him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of dog is the hound?
2. How is Chapter 8 narrated?
3. Where do Holmes, Watson, and Lestrade situate themselves?
4. What has excited Dr. Mortimer?
5. What had Stapleton falsely promised Mrs. Lyons?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Mrs. Barrymore, how did Selden become the man he is?
2. What is the arrangement between Selden and the Barrymores, and how did it come to be?
3. Why can Holmes not arrest Stapleton?
4. What is significant about the discovery of Sir Henry's boot in Grimpen Mire?
5. Why did the hound and the men mistake Selden for Sir Henry?
6. What are Watson's impressions of the mysterious figure he sees on the tor?
7. What does the hound look like?
8. What happens when Sir Henry walks out of Stapleton's house?
9. What does Watson believe about the supernatural possibilities of the hound?
10. Why does Frankland file so many lawsuits?
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)