|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Stapleton seem opposed?
(a) He appears to be opposed to Sir Henry's Americanisms.
(b) He appears to be opposed to all the constables in the area.
(c) He appears to disapprove of the growing affection between his sister and Sir Henry.
(d) He appears to be opposed to walking on the moor alone.
2. Who is the man that was killed on the moor?
(b) Dr. Mortimer.
3. According to Watson, what is one of Holmes's faults?
(a) Holmes can be lazy.
(b) Holmes underestimates everyone around him.
(c) Holmes is too vain.
(d) Holmes never tells anyone his plans.
4. In his gratitude for Sir Henry's decision about Selden, what does Barrymore reveal to Sir Henry and Watson?
(a) Sir Charles knew he was going to die.
(b) Sir Charles was at the gate to meet a woman.
(c) Sir Charles was hoping to confront the hound head-on.
(d) Sir Charles was protecting Mrs. Barrymore.
5. Who is bringing Holmes supplies at the hut?
(c) Sir Henry.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Holmes and Watson's deductions, who must have sent the message of warning to Sir Henry in London?
2. By mid-October, what lady is beginning to preoccupy Sir Henry's thoughts, according to Watson?
3. How did the man found on the moor die?
4. After leaving Frankland's manor, where does Watson go?
5. Who is the man on the moor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Stapleton reveal about her husband?
2. What is Mrs. Lyons's relationship to Sir Charles?
3. What is the arrangement between Selden and the Barrymores, and how did it come to be?
4. Why can Holmes not arrest Stapleton?
5. What is significant about the discovery of Sir Henry's boot in Grimpen Mire?
6. What are Holmes's instructions to Cartwright and why is it significant?
7. What are Watson's impressions of the stone hut?
8. What does the hound look like?
9. Why does Stapleton appear to oppose a match between his sister and Sir Henry?
10. Why does Watson refer to Mr. Frankland as much needed "comic relief?"
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)