|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After hearing a man scream on the moor, what do Watson and Holmes hear next?
(b) A carriage rattling behind them.
(c) The baying of the hound.
(d) A woman sobbing.
2. Why is the woman who wrote the letter to Sir Charles estranged from her family?
(a) She had a child out of wedlock.
(b) She divorced her husband.
(c) She married without her father's consent.
(d) She did not wish to be a traditional housewife.
3. Why is Watson glad to see Holmes after going to the stone hut?
(a) He is scared to walk back to Baskerville Hall alone.
(b) The case is beginning to overwhelm Watson.
(c) He was worried for Holmes's safety.
(d) He believes he is being followed.
4. According to Holmes and Watson's deductions, who must have sent the message of warning to Sir Henry in London?
(a) Dr. Mortimer.
(c) Miss Stapleton.
5. Why does Sir Henry decide that they must go capture Selden?
(a) He believes that the Stapletons are in danger from Selden.
(b) He wants to get back at the Barrymores.
(c) Selden is a dangerous, violent murderer.
(d) He wants the reward money.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his gratitude for Sir Henry's decision about Selden, what does Barrymore reveal to Sir Henry and Watson?
2. How does Mr. Frankland spend his time when at home?
3. What was spread over the hound to give it a ghoulish look?
4. While returning to Baskerville Hall after trying to find Selden, what does Watson observe on one of the tors?
5. What happens when Sir Henry begins his walk home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Holmes's instructions to Cartwright and why is it significant?
2. Why does Laura Lyons live in Coombe Tracey?
3. What is Mrs. Lyons's relationship to Sir Charles?
4. Why does Watson refer to Mr. Frankland as much needed "comic relief?"
5. Why did Barrymore not tell anyone about the burnt letter?
6. Why is Sir Henry upset with Watson and Holmes?
7. How did Holmes survive all those weeks on the moor?
8. Why did Laura Lyons need so much help?
9. What reason does Stapleton give for his objection to Sir Henry courting his sister?
10. Why did the hound and the men mistake Selden for Sir Henry?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)