|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Stapleton seem opposed?
(a) He appears to be opposed to all the constables in the area.
(b) He appears to be opposed to walking on the moor alone.
(c) He appears to disapprove of the growing affection between his sister and Sir Henry.
(d) He appears to be opposed to Sir Henry's Americanisms.
2. How did Barrymore make the discovery of why Sir Charles went to the gate the night he died?
(a) Barrymore followed Sir Charles to the gate.
(b) Mrs. Barrymore made plans to help Sir Charles to the gate.
(c) Mrs. Barrymore found the charred remains of a letter.
(d) Barrymore overheard a conversation with Sir Charles.
3. What is Sir Henry to do while at dinner with the Stapletons?
(a) He is to tell them that Sherlock Holmes died on the moors.
(b) He is to ask Mrs. Stapleton to marry him.
(c) He is to tell them that he is walking home alone.
(d) He is to tell Mrs. Stapleton of Mrs. Lyons.
4. After asking questions about Frankland's daughter, how does Watson distract Dr. Mortimer from asking any questions?
(a) Watson asks to hear the story of the hound again.
(b) Watson asks about the doctor's family.
(c) Watson asks to hear other local legends that could be influencing the perceived sightings of the hound.
(d) Watson asks about Frankland's skull.
5. According to Mrs. Lyons, what did she do the night she was to meet with Sir Charles?
(a) She was detained by a private matter and did not make the meeting.
(b) She met with Sir Charles and saw the hound.
(c) She was detained by a private matter, but sent a telegram to Sir Charles to not meet her.
(d) She met with Sir Charles, but nothing happened.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Holmes and Watson's deductions, who must have sent the message of warning to Sir Henry in London?
2. After leaving Frankland's manor, where does Watson go?
3. Who arrives from London to help Holmes?
4. How did Holmes know it was Watson in his hut?
5. What do Sir Henry and Watson do to entrap Barrymore?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Watson's impressions of the mysterious figure he sees on the tor?
2. According to Mrs. Barrymore, how did Selden become the man he is?
3. Why is Sir Henry upset with Watson and Holmes?
4. What is the arrangement between Selden and the Barrymores, and how did it come to be?
5. Why does Watson refer to Mr. Frankland as much needed "comic relief?"
6. Why did Laura Lyons need so much help?
7. What does the hound look like?
8. What is suspicious of Barrymore's behavior?
9. What is Mrs. Lyons's relationship to Sir Charles?
10. What reason does Stapleton give for his objection to Sir Henry courting his sister?
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)