|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the hound die?
(a) The hound is chased into the Grimpen Mire.
(b) The hound is shot several times by Holmes.
(c) The hound is caught in a steel trap.
(d) The hound is nearly starved to death and collapses from exhaustion.
2. Why is Barrymore angry after Sir Henry and Watson learn the truth of his strange behavior?
(a) He believes they were rude to his wife.
(b) He does not believe Watson and Sir Henry should have hunted after Selden.
(c) Sir Henry refuses to allow the Barrymores to leave for London.
(d) No one believes him when he tells them of the hound.
3. How did Barrymore make the discovery of why Sir Charles went to the gate the night he died?
(a) Mrs. Barrymore found the charred remains of a letter.
(b) Barrymore overheard a conversation with Sir Charles.
(c) Mrs. Barrymore made plans to help Sir Charles to the gate.
(d) Barrymore followed Sir Charles to the gate.
4. How did Holmes know it was Watson in his hut?
(a) He watched Watson all the way from Frankland's manor.
(b) His cigarette stub.
(c) His footprints.
(d) He heard Watson mumbling to himself.
5. What possible motive for Barrymore's strange behavior does Watson surmise?
(a) Watson wonders if Barrymore is trying to distract him.
(b) Watson wonders if Barrymore is cheating on his wife.
(c) Watson wonders if Barrymore is attempting to rob Sir Henry.
(d) Watson wonders if Barrymore is trying to find the hound himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Watson upset at Holmes's deception?
2. What does Watson deduce about the candle?
3. What does Watson witness when he follows Sir Henry?
4. On the moor, what does Watson find himself unable to do?
5. What do Sir Henry and Watson do to entrap Barrymore?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is suspicious of Barrymore's behavior?
2. According to Mrs. Barrymore, how did Selden become the man he is?
3. How did Holmes survive all those weeks on the moor?
4. Why does Watson refer to Mr. Frankland as much needed "comic relief?"
5. Why does Stapleton appear to oppose a match between his sister and Sir Henry?
6. What is Mrs. Lyons's relationship to Sir Charles?
7. What are Watson's impressions of the mysterious figure he sees on the tor?
8. What contributes to the dark mood around Baskerville Hall at the beginning of Chapter 10?
9. What is significant about the discovery of Sir Henry's boot in Grimpen Mire?
10. Why did Barrymore not tell anyone about the burnt letter?
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)