|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sort of business did the people on the moor help L.L. set up?
(a) A branch of a legislative firm.
(b) A veterinarian clinic.
(c) A dogbreeding business.
(d) A typewriting business.
2. Why is the woman who wrote the letter to Sir Charles estranged from her family?
(a) She divorced her husband.
(b) She had a child out of wedlock.
(c) She married without her father's consent.
(d) She did not wish to be a traditional housewife.
3. Why did Mrs. Lyons wish to meet with Sir Charles on the night of his death?
(a) She was hoping that he would propose to her.
(b) She needed his help and he was going to be away to London for a long time.
(c) She was hoping that he would give his blessing to her divorce.
(d) She wished to warn him.
4. After leaving Frankland's manor, where does Watson go?
(a) He goes to the spot where he saw the boy.
(b) He goes to the Grimpen Mire.
(c) He goes back to Baskerville Hall.
(d) He goes to the Fox Tor to search for Sir Henry.
5. After learning that Mrs. Barrymore answered the telegram for her husband, what does Watson observe about the lady?
(a) She appears to be very ill.
(b) She appears to be very frightened at the story of the hound.
(c) She appears to be in a deep sorrow of mysterious origin.
(d) She appears to not have a care in the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Sir Henry begins his walk home?
2. Because of the convict and out of concern for the Stapletons, what did Sir Henry offer to them, which Stapleton turned down?
3. What does Frankland show Watson on his telescope?
4. How did Barrymore make the discovery of why Sir Charles went to the gate the night he died?
5. According to Watson, what is one of Holmes's faults?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Watson hurt about Holmes's deception?
2. How did Stapleton deceive Mrs. Lyons?
3. What happens when Sir Henry walks out of Stapleton's house?
4. Why does Stapleton appear to oppose a match between his sister and Sir Henry?
5. According to Mrs. Barrymore, how did Selden become the man he is?
6. How did Holmes survive all those weeks on the moor?
7. What reason does Stapleton give for his objection to Sir Henry courting his sister?
8. What are Watson's impressions of the stone hut?
9. Why was Holmes able to recognize Stapleton's features in Hugo Baskerville?
10. What does the hound look like?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)