|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After learning that Mrs. Barrymore answered the telegram for her husband, what does Watson observe about the lady?
(a) She appears to not have a care in the world.
(b) She appears to be very frightened at the story of the hound.
(c) She appears to be very ill.
(d) She appears to be in a deep sorrow of mysterious origin.
2. What does Watson believe is the identity of the man on the moor?
(a) The convict.
(b) Barrymore sneaking out to see his brother-in-law.
(c) Stapleton on the hunt for moths.
(d) The man who followed Sir Henry in London.
3. What is Sir Henry to do while at dinner with the Stapletons?
(a) He is to ask Mrs. Stapleton to marry him.
(b) He is to tell them that Sherlock Holmes died on the moors.
(c) He is to tell Mrs. Stapleton of Mrs. Lyons.
(d) He is to tell them that he is walking home alone.
4. What sort of dog is the hound?
(a) Part great dane and part greyhound.
(b) Pure great dane.
(c) Part mastiff and bloodhound.
(d) English sheepdog.
5. In his correspondence with Holmes, what happens the previous night that rouses Watson's suspicion?
(a) He sees Mrs. Barrymore burning a letter.
(b) He sees Mrs. Barrymore going outside by herself.
(c) He sees Barrymore sneak to a window and light a candle.
(d) He sees Barrymore quickly packing his trunk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is L.L.?
2. What does Watson keep hearing from the moor?
3. What is Frankland wishing to celebrate?
4. When Holmes has Watson focus solely on the face in the portrait, what does Watson see?
5. What sort of business did the people on the moor help L.L. set up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Sir Henry upset with Watson and Holmes?
2. Why did Barrymore not tell anyone about the burnt letter?
3. What does the hound look like?
4. What does Watson believe about the supernatural possibilities of the hound?
5. What are Watson's impressions of the stone hut?
6. What is significant about the discovery of Sir Henry's boot in Grimpen Mire?
7. What is Mrs. Lyons's relationship to Sir Charles?
8. Why was Holmes able to recognize Stapleton's features in Hugo Baskerville?
9. What are Holmes's instructions to Cartwright and why is it significant?
10. How did Stapleton deceive Mrs. Lyons?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)