|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Watson tells Holmes about his conversation with Laura Lyons, what does Holmes reveal to his partner about Miss Stapleton?
(a) She is actually Stapleton's wife.
(b) She is Frankland's daughter.
(c) She is the murderer.
(d) She is actually Stapleton's daughter.
2. Who approaches Watson and Holmes after the discovery of the body on the moor?
(c) Dr. Mortimer.
3. What manner of narration is used in Chapter 10?
(a) Dr. Watson's journal entries.
(b) Letters to Dr. Mortimer.
(c) Dr. Mortimer's journal entries.
(d) Letters to Holmes.
4. What do Sir Henry and Watson do to entrap Barrymore?
(a) They have Dr. Mortimer follow Barrymore around for a day.
(b) They ask Mrs. Barrymore what her husband's habits are at night.
(c) They trick Barrymore into coming outside with them at night.
(d) They stay up all night until they hear him come to the window with a candle.
5. What must Sir Henry do to help Holmes solve the case?
(a) Sir Henry must fake his own death.
(b) Sir Henry must blindly do whatever Holmes tells him.
(c) Sir Henry must call to the hound.
(d) Sir Henry must learn the lay of the land between his house and Stapleton's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sir Henry to do while at dinner with the Stapletons?
2. On the moor, what does Watson find himself unable to do?
3. Where does Stapleton take Sir Henry and Watson in Chapter 8?
4. What possible motive for Barrymore's strange behavior does Watson surmise?
5. What revelation upsets Laura Lyons?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Mrs. Barrymore, how did Selden become the man he is?
2. Why was Holmes able to recognize Stapleton's features in Hugo Baskerville?
3. How did Stapleton deceive Mrs. Lyons?
4. Why is Watson hurt about Holmes's deception?
5. What are Watson's impressions of the stone hut?
6. What is Mrs. Lyons's relationship to Sir Charles?
7. Why can Holmes not arrest Stapleton?
8. What reason does Stapleton give for his objection to Sir Henry courting his sister?
9. What does the hound look like?
10. Why does Stapleton appear to oppose a match between his sister and Sir Henry?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)