|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the man on the moor staying?
(a) Fox Tor.
(b) The Grimpen Mire.
(c) A tin miner's hut.
(d) The stone huts on the hillside.
2. What does Mrs. Lyons credit to Sir Charles?
(a) Sir Charles single-handedly saved the church from going under.
(b) Sir Charles helped her procure her divorce.
(c) Sir Charles helped her start her business and kept her on her feet.
(d) Sir Charles dispelled the rumors going around about her.
3. What sort of business did the people on the moor help L.L. set up?
(a) A dogbreeding business.
(b) A veterinarian clinic.
(c) A branch of a legislative firm.
(d) A typewriting business.
4. Who approaches Watson and Holmes after the discovery of the body on the moor?
(d) Dr. Mortimer.
5. After leaving Frankland's manor, where does Watson go?
(a) He goes to the Fox Tor to search for Sir Henry.
(b) He goes to the spot where he saw the boy.
(c) He goes back to Baskerville Hall.
(d) He goes to the Grimpen Mire.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Watson, what is one of Holmes's faults?
2. Why does Sir Henry decide that they must go capture Selden?
3. After learning that Mrs. Barrymore answered the telegram for her husband, what does Watson observe about the lady?
4. What does Watson deduce about the candle?
5. How did Sir Charles hear about Mrs. Lyons's situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Holmes able to recognize Stapleton's features in Hugo Baskerville?
2. What is the arrangement between Selden and the Barrymores, and how did it come to be?
3. Why does Stapleton appear to oppose a match between his sister and Sir Henry?
4. Why did Barrymore not tell anyone about the burnt letter?
5. What are Watson's fanciful impressions of the moor in his letter to Holmes?
6. Why can Holmes not arrest Stapleton?
7. What are Watson's impressions of the stone hut?
8. What does the hound look like?
9. How did Stapleton deceive Mrs. Lyons?
10. What are Holmes's instructions to Cartwright and why is it significant?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)