|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Stapleton convince Mrs. Lyons to not meet with Sir Charles the night he died?
(a) Stapleton convinces her that Sir Charles does not wish to see her.
(b) Stapleton tells her that Sir Charles is too ill to meet with her.
(c) Stapleton says that he fears it is too dangerous for her to go alone.
(d) Stapleton said he was too proud to allow another man to help her.
2. According to Holmes and Watson's deductions, who must have sent the message of warning to Sir Henry in London?
(a) Miss Stapleton.
(b) Dr. Mortimer.
3. Where does Stapleton take Sir Henry and Watson in Chapter 8?
(a) The area where, according to the story, Hugo Baskerville was killed.
(b) The place where the convict is believed to have been last seen.
(c) The Grimpen Mire.
(d) Hound's Tor.
4. After learning that Mrs. Barrymore answered the telegram for her husband, what does Watson observe about the lady?
(a) She appears to be in a deep sorrow of mysterious origin.
(b) She appears to be very ill.
(c) She appears to not have a care in the world.
(d) She appears to be very frightened at the story of the hound.
5. While Sir Henry is inside Merripit House, what begins to happen that Holmes fears could disrupt their plan?
(a) Lestrade begins to feel ill.
(b) The fog rolls in.
(c) It begins to rain.
(d) A windstorm brews.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Watson find in the stone hut that pertains to him?
2. What does Mrs. Lyons credit to Sir Charles?
3. How does Mr. Frankland spend his time when at home?
4. After hearing a man scream on the moor, what do Watson and Holmes hear next?
5. What was spread over the hound to give it a ghoulish look?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is suspicious of Barrymore's behavior?
2. Why does Laura Lyons live in Coombe Tracey?
3. What are Holmes's instructions to Cartwright and why is it significant?
4. What is significant about the discovery of Sir Henry's boot in Grimpen Mire?
5. Why did Laura Lyons need so much help?
6. What does Mrs. Stapleton reveal about her husband?
7. What reason does Stapleton give for his objection to Sir Henry courting his sister?
8. What happens when Sir Henry walks out of Stapleton's house?
9. Why is Sir Henry upset with Watson and Holmes?
10. Why did Barrymore not tell anyone about the burnt letter?
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)