|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Stapleton convince Mrs. Lyons to not meet with Sir Charles the night he died?
(a) Stapleton tells her that Sir Charles is too ill to meet with her.
(b) Stapleton convinces her that Sir Charles does not wish to see her.
(c) Stapleton said he was too proud to allow another man to help her.
(d) Stapleton says that he fears it is too dangerous for her to go alone.
2. After hearing a man scream on the moor, what do Watson and Holmes hear next?
(a) A carriage rattling behind them.
(c) A woman sobbing.
(d) The baying of the hound.
3. Why did Holmes lie about being in London to Watson?
(a) He did not want Watson to inadvertently reveal to the enemy that he was there.
(b) He knew Watson would tell Sir Henry.
(c) He was afraid for Watson's safety.
(d) He did not trust Watson.
4. How does the hound die?
(a) The hound is caught in a steel trap.
(b) The hound is chased into the Grimpen Mire.
(c) The hound is shot several times by Holmes.
(d) The hound is nearly starved to death and collapses from exhaustion.
5. What does Watson find in the stone hut that pertains to him?
(a) He finds his letters to Holmes.
(b) He finds his old overcoat.
(c) He finds his brand of cigarettes.
(d) He finds a note that details his whereabouts for the day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sir Henry to do while at dinner with the Stapletons?
2. According to Watson, what is one of Holmes's faults?
3. What is Frankland wishing to celebrate?
4. Because of the convict and out of concern for the Stapletons, what did Sir Henry offer to them, which Stapleton turned down?
5. Why is Watson feeling coldly towards Frankland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the discovery of Sir Henry's boot in Grimpen Mire?
2. How did Stapleton deceive Mrs. Lyons?
3. What happens when Sir Henry walks out of Stapleton's house?
4. What does Mrs. Stapleton reveal about her husband?
5. How did Holmes survive all those weeks on the moor?
6. What does Watson believe about the supernatural possibilities of the hound?
7. What are Watson's impressions of the stone hut?
8. What does the hound look like?
9. Why is Sir Henry upset with Watson and Holmes?
10. Why did the hound and the men mistake Selden for Sir Henry?
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)