|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his gratitude for Sir Henry's decision about Selden, what does Barrymore reveal to Sir Henry and Watson?
(a) Sir Charles was at the gate to meet a woman.
(b) Sir Charles was protecting Mrs. Barrymore.
(c) Sir Charles knew he was going to die.
(d) Sir Charles was hoping to confront the hound head-on.
2. Who is bringing Holmes supplies at the hut?
(b) Sir Henry.
3. Why does Sir Henry decide that they must go capture Selden?
(a) He wants to get back at the Barrymores.
(b) He wants the reward money.
(c) He believes that the Stapletons are in danger from Selden.
(d) Selden is a dangerous, violent murderer.
4. To what does Stapleton seem opposed?
(a) He appears to disapprove of the growing affection between his sister and Sir Henry.
(b) He appears to be opposed to all the constables in the area.
(c) He appears to be opposed to Sir Henry's Americanisms.
(d) He appears to be opposed to walking on the moor alone.
5. After hearing a man scream on the moor, what do Watson and Holmes hear next?
(a) The baying of the hound.
(b) A woman sobbing.
(c) A carriage rattling behind them.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Sir Henry is being entertained in Merripit House, what do Holmes and Watson observe Stapleton doing?
2. What captures Holmes's attention in Baskerville Hall?
3. How does Mr. Frankland spend his time when at home?
4. Why did Holmes lie about being in London to Watson?
5. After asking questions about Frankland's daughter, how does Watson distract Dr. Mortimer from asking any questions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is suspicious of Barrymore's behavior?
2. How did Stapleton deceive Mrs. Lyons?
3. What is significant about the discovery of Sir Henry's boot in Grimpen Mire?
4. What are Watson's impressions of the mysterious figure he sees on the tor?
5. What contributes to the dark mood around Baskerville Hall at the beginning of Chapter 10?
6. Why did Barrymore not tell anyone about the burnt letter?
7. Why does Frankland file so many lawsuits?
8. What is the arrangement between Selden and the Barrymores, and how did it come to be?
9. Why is Watson hurt about Holmes's deception?
10. What is Mrs. Lyons's relationship to Sir Charles?
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)