|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What false theory does Watson give Stapleton about how the man died?
(a) Watson says that the man shot himself.
(b) Watson says the man likely fell days earlier and died from exposure.
(c) Watson says that the man probably snapped from anxiety and exposure to the elements and ran off the cliff.
(d) Watson says the man intentionally jumped in the Grimpen Mire.
2. To whom does this statement apply: "Evil indeed is the man who has not one woman to mourn him" ?
3. Why is Watson glad to see Holmes after going to the stone hut?
(a) He believes he is being followed.
(b) The case is beginning to overwhelm Watson.
(c) He was worried for Holmes's safety.
(d) He is scared to walk back to Baskerville Hall alone.
4. What captures Holmes's attention in Baskerville Hall?
(a) Sir Henry's cast-off clothing.
(b) The portrait of Hugo.
(c) The portrait of Sir Charles.
(d) Sir Henry's liquor cabinet.
5. How did the man found on the moor die?
(a) He was shot.
(b) He was chased off a cliff.
(c) He sank into the Grimpen Mire.
(d) He was trampled by a Devonshire pony.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Watson keep hearing from the moor?
2. While Sir Henry is inside Merripit House, what begins to happen that Holmes fears could disrupt their plan?
3. While searching for Selden on the moor, what frightens both Sir Henry and Watson?
4. According to Watson, what is one of Holmes's faults?
5. On the moor, what does Watson find himself unable to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Sir Henry upset with Watson and Holmes?
2. According to Mrs. Barrymore, how did Selden become the man he is?
3. Why does Stapleton appear to oppose a match between his sister and Sir Henry?
4. What does the hound look like?
5. What are Watson's fanciful impressions of the moor in his letter to Holmes?
6. Why was Holmes able to recognize Stapleton's features in Hugo Baskerville?
7. What does Mrs. Stapleton reveal about her husband?
8. What does Watson believe about the supernatural possibilities of the hound?
9. What are Watson's impressions of the stone hut?
10. Why did Barrymore not tell anyone about the burnt letter?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)