|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Watson glad to see Holmes after going to the stone hut?
(a) He is scared to walk back to Baskerville Hall alone.
(b) The case is beginning to overwhelm Watson.
(c) He was worried for Holmes's safety.
(d) He believes he is being followed.
2. How is Chapter 8 narrated?
(a) The narration is in the form of Watson's journal.
(b) The narration is in the form of letters between Watson and Dr. Mortimer.
(c) The narration is in the form of newspaper articles.
(d) The narration is in the form of letters from Watson to Holmes.
3. Who approaches Watson and Holmes after the discovery of the body on the moor?
(c) Dr. Mortimer.
4. According to Mrs. Lyons, what did she do the night she was to meet with Sir Charles?
(a) She was detained by a private matter, but sent a telegram to Sir Charles to not meet her.
(b) She met with Sir Charles and saw the hound.
(c) She met with Sir Charles, but nothing happened.
(d) She was detained by a private matter and did not make the meeting.
5. Why is the woman who wrote the letter to Sir Charles estranged from her family?
(a) She did not wish to be a traditional housewife.
(b) She divorced her husband.
(c) She married without her father's consent.
(d) She had a child out of wedlock.
Short Answer Questions
1. After learning that Mrs. Barrymore answered the telegram for her husband, what does Watson observe about the lady?
2. What is Sir Henry to do while at dinner with the Stapletons?
3. Where is the man on the moor staying?
4. What revelation upsets Laura Lyons?
5. After hearing a man scream on the moor, what do Watson and Holmes hear next?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Frankland file so many lawsuits?
2. Why is Sir Henry upset with Watson and Holmes?
3. What are Watson's fanciful impressions of the moor in his letter to Holmes?
4. Why was Holmes able to recognize Stapleton's features in Hugo Baskerville?
5. What happens when Sir Henry walks out of Stapleton's house?
6. How did Holmes survive all those weeks on the moor?
7. Why did Laura Lyons need so much help?
8. What is significant about the discovery of Sir Henry's boot in Grimpen Mire?
9. What does Watson believe about the supernatural possibilities of the hound?
10. Why can Holmes not arrest Stapleton?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)