|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the letter to Holmes, what is the status on the escaped convict?
(a) The convict has likely escaped the area.
(b) The convict has probably died out on the moors.
(c) The convict will likely turn himself in to escape the inhospitable moor.
(d) The convict will likely be caught soon.
2. What assures Watson that the hound is mortal?
(a) Holmes was able to wound it.
(b) He hears it breathing.
(c) He sees it make impressions in the earth.
(d) Lestrade is able to call to it.
3. Who is the man on the moor?
(a) Sherlock Holmes.
(b) Sir Charles.
(d) Dr. Mortimer.
4. What happens when Sir Henry begins his walk home?
(a) The hound appears.
(b) Gunshots are heard.
(c) Mrs. Stapleton cries out.
(d) It begins to storm.
5. What does Frankland show Watson on his telescope?
(a) Watson sees the hound.
(b) Watson sees Sir Henry out by himself.
(c) Watson sees the man on the moor.
(d) Watson sees the young boy delivering food to the man on the moor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was spread over the hound to give it a ghoulish look?
2. According to Barrymore, what is the plan for Selden?
3. Why is Watson upset at Holmes's deception?
4. Who approaches Watson and Holmes after the discovery of the body on the moor?
5. What possible motive for Barrymore's strange behavior does Watson surmise?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Barrymore not tell anyone about the burnt letter?
2. What contributes to the dark mood around Baskerville Hall at the beginning of Chapter 10?
3. What are Watson's impressions of the mysterious figure he sees on the tor?
4. What happens when Sir Henry walks out of Stapleton's house?
5. What does Mrs. Stapleton reveal about her husband?
6. What are Watson's fanciful impressions of the moor in his letter to Holmes?
7. What are Holmes's instructions to Cartwright and why is it significant?
8. According to Mrs. Barrymore, how did Selden become the man he is?
9. What is Mrs. Lyons's relationship to Sir Charles?
10. Why does Laura Lyons live in Coombe Tracey?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)