|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the man found on the moor die?
(a) He was shot.
(b) He was chased off a cliff.
(c) He was trampled by a Devonshire pony.
(d) He sank into the Grimpen Mire.
2. What false theory does Watson give Stapleton about how the man died?
(a) Watson says the man likely fell days earlier and died from exposure.
(b) Watson says that the man probably snapped from anxiety and exposure to the elements and ran off the cliff.
(c) Watson says that the man shot himself.
(d) Watson says the man intentionally jumped in the Grimpen Mire.
3. What happens when Sir Henry begins his walk home?
(a) The hound appears.
(b) Mrs. Stapleton cries out.
(c) It begins to storm.
(d) Gunshots are heard.
4. According to Watson, what is one of Holmes's faults?
(a) Holmes can be lazy.
(b) Holmes is too vain.
(c) Holmes never tells anyone his plans.
(d) Holmes underestimates everyone around him.
5. What assures Watson that the hound is mortal?
(a) Holmes was able to wound it.
(b) Lestrade is able to call to it.
(c) He hears it breathing.
(d) He sees it make impressions in the earth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Barrymore tell Watson about the mysterious man on the moor?
2. Because of the convict and out of concern for the Stapletons, what did Sir Henry offer to them, which Stapleton turned down?
3. By mid-October, what lady is beginning to preoccupy Sir Henry's thoughts, according to Watson?
4. Why did Mrs. Lyons wish to meet with Sir Charles so secretly?
5. Why is Watson upset at Holmes's deception?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)