|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Stapleton tie up and gag his wife?
(a) She was going to try to kill Sir Henry herself.
(b) She tried to kill her husband.
(c) To prevent her from warning Sir Henry.
(d) She was going to run away.
2. What do Sir Henry and Watson do to entrap Barrymore?
(a) They have Dr. Mortimer follow Barrymore around for a day.
(b) They ask Mrs. Barrymore what her husband's habits are at night.
(c) They stay up all night until they hear him come to the window with a candle.
(d) They trick Barrymore into coming outside with them at night.
3. How did Stapleton convince Mrs. Lyons to not meet with Sir Charles the night he died?
(a) Stapleton says that he fears it is too dangerous for her to go alone.
(b) Stapleton convinces her that Sir Charles does not wish to see her.
(c) Stapleton said he was too proud to allow another man to help her.
(d) Stapleton tells her that Sir Charles is too ill to meet with her.
4. What revelation upsets Laura Lyons?
(a) Sir Charles is still alive.
(b) Frankland is not her father.
(c) Stapleton is married.
(d) Sir Henry is related to her.
5. What captures Holmes's attention in Baskerville Hall?
(a) Sir Henry's cast-off clothing.
(b) Sir Henry's liquor cabinet.
(c) The portrait of Hugo.
(d) The portrait of Sir Charles.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the moor, what does Watson find himself unable to do?
2. What does Sir Henry do when Barrymore refuses to answer his questions?
3. How did Sir Charles hear about Mrs. Lyons's situation?
4. What must Sir Henry do to help Holmes solve the case?
5. Who is L.L.?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Watson hurt about Holmes's deception?
2. Why does Laura Lyons live in Coombe Tracey?
3. Why did the hound and the men mistake Selden for Sir Henry?
4. What is suspicious of Barrymore's behavior?
5. Why does Watson refer to Mr. Frankland as much needed "comic relief?"
6. Why does Stapleton appear to oppose a match between his sister and Sir Henry?
7. How did Stapleton deceive Mrs. Lyons?
8. What is the arrangement between Selden and the Barrymores, and how did it come to be?
9. What does the hound look like?
10. Why did Barrymore not tell anyone about the burnt letter?
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)