|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Holmes spend his time before meeting with Sir Henry in the afternoon following their first meeting?
(a) Playing violin.
(c) At the theater.
(d) In an art gallery.
2. What does Holmes advise to Watson before Watson leaves for Devonshire with Sir Henry and Dr. Mortimer?
(a) To stay armed at all times.
(b) To always have a dog with him.
(c) To take up smoking.
(d) To never go out on the moor.
3. What does Watson hear coming from the moor?
(b) A mysterious, sad moan.
(c) The baying of a hound.
(d) Someone screaming.
4. What impression does Watson have of Baskerville Hall in the morning in Chapter 7?
(a) He finds it to be just as gloomy as the night before.
(b) He finds that he does not care for it very much.
(c) He finds it to be singularly unattractive.
(d) He finds it much lighter and more cheerful.
5. Who is the man that brought the curse upon the Baskervilles?
(a) Henry Baskerville.
(b) Hugo Baskerville.
(c) Charles Baskerville.
(d) Hank Baskerville.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Sir Henry, Dr. Mortimer, and Watson discover as they travel to the moor?
2. How does Holmes relax after his day of thinking?
3. After questioning Dr. Mortimer about the discovery of Sir Charles's body, what is Holmes annoyed about?
4. How much is Sir Henry going to inherit from Sir Charles?
5. What dangerous place on the moor has claimed the lives of several people and animals?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the reappearance of Sir Henry's brown boot a mystery?
2. How did Holmes and Watson lose the cab that was following Sir Henry?
3. What is Mrs. Lyons's relationship to Sir Charles?
4. How did Stapleton murder Sir Charles?
5. What was wrong with Holmes's deductions of Dr. Mortimer?
6. How did Stapleton treat his wife and why did he tie her up?
7. What is dangerous about the Grimpen Mire?
8. What does Watson believe about the supernatural possibilities of the hound?
9. How did Stapleton deceive Mrs. Lyons?
10. What are Watson's impressions of the mysterious figure he sees on the tor?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)