|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Holmes advise to Watson before Watson leaves for Devonshire with Sir Henry and Dr. Mortimer?
(a) To always have a dog with him.
(b) To take up smoking.
(c) To never go out on the moor.
(d) To stay armed at all times.
2. How does Holmes check on Barrymore's location?
(a) Holmes asks the neighbors if they have seen Barrymore.
(b) Holmes sends a package to Baskerville Hall.
(c) Holmes has a friend watch Baskerville Hall.
(d) He sends a telegram for him to Baskerville Hall that requires an immediate response.
3. What is Stapleton's profession?
(a) A professor.
(b) A naturalist.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A barrister.
4. How did Dr. Mortimer deduce that Sir Charles had stood at the gate for five to ten minutes?
(a) Sir Charles marked time with pebbles.
(b) Sir Charles's watch had been smashed.
(c) He noticed that cigar ash had dropped twice.
(d) He watched Sir Charles the night he died.
5. What does Dr. Mortimer read out loud to Watson and Holmes?
(a) Maps of Devonshire.
(b) A newspaper article.
(c) The legend of the Baskerville hound.
(d) Sir Charles's last will and testament.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Baskerville curse?
2. What about the handwriting reveals to Holmes that the object originated at a hotel?
3. What does Watson observe that Sir Henry has inherited from his ancestors?
4. What is the address of the rooms that Watson and Holmes share?
5. Where does chapter one take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Stapleton's theory about how Sir Charles died?
2. Why is Holmes disappointed in Dr. Mortimer?
3. What is the point of sending a telegram to Barrymore?
4. What was wrong with Holmes's deductions of Dr. Mortimer?
5. How did Holmes and Watson lose the cab that was following Sir Henry?
6. What three leads turn out to be dead-ends for this case?
7. How does Dr. Mortimer view Holmes and why?
8. Why is Watson unable to sleep soundly on his first night at Baskerville Hall?
9. What is significant about Holmes's deduction that Sir Charles was actually running?
10. Why does Watson now suspect Barrymore is the murderer?
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)