|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Watson hear coming from the moor?
(a) Someone screaming.
(b) A mysterious, sad moan.
(d) The baying of a hound.
2. What excites Sir Henry on the journey where he cries out in delight?
(a) He sees the moor people welcoming him to Baskerville Hall.
(b) He sees a beautiful woman.
(c) He is excited to be back in Devonshire.
(d) He sees a herd of wild ponies running over the moor.
3. What is the result of Hugo's wild ride after the girl?
(a) A hound will visit Baskerville Hall every full moon to take one of the men away.
(b) Hugo marries the girl.
(c) Hugo has his throat torn out by a large hound.
(d) Hugo is murdered by the girl's father.
4. How did Dr. Mortimer deduce that Sir Charles had stood at the gate for five to ten minutes?
(a) He watched Sir Charles the night he died.
(b) Sir Charles marked time with pebbles.
(c) He noticed that cigar ash had dropped twice.
(d) Sir Charles's watch had been smashed.
5. Before the death of Sir Charles, what had appeared to people on the moor?
(a) The hound.
(b) A mysterious man on the moor.
(c) A carriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Holmes deduce about the sender of Sir Henry's object?
2. What is Stapleton's profession?
3. How does Holmes spend his day after the departure of Dr. Mortimer and Watson?
4. What does Dr. Mortimer read out loud to Watson and Holmes?
5. Who is the man that brought the curse upon the Baskervilles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the reappearance of Sir Henry's brown boot a mystery?
2. Who is Selden and why is he significant to everyone?
3. Why does Holmes discount the idea that one of Sir Henry's heirs or relatives wants him dead?
4. Based on Watson's examination of the walking-stick, how does he describe Dr. Mortimer?
5. Why did Dr. Mortimer advise Sir Charles to go to London?
6. What was wrong with Holmes's deductions of Dr. Mortimer?
7. Why is Dr. Mortimer concerned about Sir Henry's safety?
8. What is the point of sending a telegram to Barrymore?
9. What is significant about the letter being made up of words from the London Times?
10. Why does Watson now suspect Barrymore is the murderer?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)