|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the result of Hugo's wild ride after the girl?
(a) Hugo is murdered by the girl's father.
(b) Hugo marries the girl.
(c) A hound will visit Baskerville Hall every full moon to take one of the men away.
(d) Hugo has his throat torn out by a large hound.
2. What does Stapleton reveal that shocks Watson?
(a) He was with Sir Charles the night he died.
(b) Stapleton knows that Sherlock Holmes is looking into the death of Sir Charles.
(c) He knew Sir Henry from school.
(d) He is planning on moving into Baskerville Hall.
3. What do Sir Henry, Dr. Mortimer, and Watson discover as they travel to the moor?
(a) A dangerous convict has escaped.
(b) Another man has been murdered by the hound.
(c) A ghostly apparition has been appearing to people on the moor.
(d) One of Sir Henry's neighbors has moved out.
4. What impression does Watson have of Baskerville Hall in the morning in Chapter 7?
(a) He finds it to be singularly unattractive.
(b) He finds it to be just as gloomy as the night before.
(c) He finds it much lighter and more cheerful.
(d) He finds that he does not care for it very much.
5. What does Holmes believe is the reason Sir Charles went out to the yew alley that night?
(a) Sir Charles was waiting for the hound.
(b) Sir Charles was just out on a walk.
(c) Sir Charles was waiting for someone.
(d) Sir Charles wished to smoke his cigar outside.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is following Sir Henry and Dr. Mortimer when they leave Holmes and Watson's rooms?
2. How does Holmes trick the hotel clerk into talking about guests who have checked in after Sir Henry?
3. In lieu of persuading Sir Henry to avoid Baskerville Hall, what does Holmes suggest?
4. What does Watson hear coming from the moor?
5. What is the actual reason for Dr. Mortimer's consultation with Holmes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Watson say that Sir Henry appears to have inherited the Baskerville temper?
2. What is dangerous about the Grimpen Mire?
3. How did Holmes and Watson lose the cab that was following Sir Henry?
4. What is Stapleton's theory about how Sir Charles died?
5. Sir Henry uses the term "dime novel" to suggest his feelings on the whole matter. What does this say about Sir Henry?
6. What are Holmes's deductions of Dr. Mortimer from his walking-stick, and how did he arrive at them?
7. Why is Dr. Mortimer concerned about Sir Henry's safety?
8. What is the point of sending a telegram to Barrymore?
9. How does Watson feel about Sir Henry?
10. Why does Holmes discount the idea that one of Sir Henry's heirs or relatives wants him dead?
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)