|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Dr. Mortimer, why did no one else notice the strange marks near the body?
(a) Everyone was drunk.
(b) He was the only one there.
(c) The prints were too far away.
(d) No one cared.
2. How is Holmes able to deduce the size of Dr. Mortimer's dog?
(a) Holmes looks at the size and spacing of the teeth marks on the doctor's walking stick.
(b) Holmes sees the scratch marks on the bottom of the staff.
(c) Holmes guesses.
(d) Holmes sees marks of measurement on the walking stick.
3. When Dr. Mortimer arrives at the rooms, what is revealed that annoys Holmes?
(a) Holmes's deductions are mostly, but not completely accurate.
(b) Holmes does not appreciate the doctor just stopping in unannounced.
(c) Holmes find the doctor to be rude.
(d) Holmes's deduction are completely wrong.
4. How does Holmes spend his time before meeting with Sir Henry in the afternoon following their first meeting?
(a) In an art gallery.
(b) Playing violin.
(c) At the theater.
5. What is the Baskerville curse?
(a) Any descendent of the Baskervilles is to never cross the moor at night, though several have died violently.
(b) A hound will visit Baskerville Hall every full moon to take one of the men away.
(c) The Baskervilles are cursed to turn into hounds if they become like Hugo.
(d) The hound will avenge the death of any Baskerville.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Holmes, who is actually the owner of the stick?
2. What does Sir Henry plan to do to the yew bridge?
3. Who is Sir Charles's heir?
4. What excites Sir Henry on the journey where he cries out in delight?
5. How does Holmes trick the hotel clerk into talking about guests who have checked in after Sir Henry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Frankland file so many lawsuits?
2. How did Stapleton murder Sir Charles?
3. Why does Laura Lyons live in Coombe Tracey?
4. What does Watson believe about the supernatural possibilities of the hound?
5. Why can Holmes not arrest Stapleton?
6. Why does Watson refer to Mr. Frankland as much needed "comic relief?"
7. How did Holmes and Watson lose the cab that was following Sir Henry?
8. What is dangerous about the Grimpen Mire?
9. What reason does Stapleton give for his objection to Sir Henry courting his sister?
10. What does Mrs. Stapleton reveal about her husband?
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)