|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Baskerville curse?
(a) A hound will visit Baskerville Hall every full moon to take one of the men away.
(b) The hound will avenge the death of any Baskerville.
(c) The Baskervilles are cursed to turn into hounds if they become like Hugo.
(d) Any descendent of the Baskervilles is to never cross the moor at night, though several have died violently.
2. What does C.C.H (engraved on the stick) stand for?
(a) Charing Cross Hospital.
(b) Christian Care Hospital.
(c) Christian Cross Hospital.
(d) Charing Court Hospital.
3. How does Holmes propose to find the sender of Sir Henry's object?
(a) He suggests they check all the trashcans for the cut-up newspaper near Charing Cross.
(b) He suggests Sir Henry reply to it.
(c) He marks the letter to be returned to the sender.
(d) He asks the postman.
4. What does Sir Henry do that Holmes strongly advises against?
(a) He tried to track down the murderer himself.
(b) He spent an afternoon alone.
(c) He wrote to his servants.
(d) He tried to go to the bank.
5. How does Watson know Barrymore is lying?
(a) Watson notes that Mrs. Barrymore's eyes are red and swollen.
(b) Watson hears Barrymore tell his wife he heard the hound out on the moors.
(c) Dr. Mortimer tells Watson about where Barrymore was the night Sir Charles died.
(d) Barrymore inadvertently admits he was out in the halls the night before.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Holmes have Watson send up to him?
2. What possibility does Holmes rule out when he discovers that Henry does not have a will?
3. What did Sir Henry discover was missing before he left to see Holmes with Dr. Mortimer?
4. What is a favored study of Dr. Mortimer?
5. What does Holmes deduce about the sender of Sir Henry's object?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Holmes disappointed in Dr. Mortimer?
2. What is Hugo's evil act, as relayed in the manuscript?
3. What are Holmes's deductions of Dr. Mortimer from his walking-stick, and how did he arrive at them?
4. How does Watson feel about Sir Henry?
5. What was wrong with Holmes's deductions of Dr. Mortimer?
6. Why is Dr. Mortimer concerned about Sir Henry's safety?
7. What is Stapleton's theory about how Sir Charles died?
8. What is the significance of the strange discovery by Sir Charles's body?
9. Based on Watson's examination of the walking-stick, how does he describe Dr. Mortimer?
10. Sir Henry uses the term "dime novel" to suggest his feelings on the whole matter. What does this say about Sir Henry?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)