|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the cabman describe the bearded man?
(a) Around sixty and gray.
(b) Around thirty, dark complected, and tall.
(c) Around forty and of military bearing.
(d) Around forty, pale, and of average height.
2. What would Dr. Mortimer like to do?
(a) Play violin with Holmes.
(b) Study Holmes's skull.
(c) Take Holmes and Watson to dinner.
(d) Write a letter to Holmes.
3. Though he is described as godless, what in particular made Hugo notorious?
(a) His scarred face.
(b) His cruel humor.
(c) He frequently abandoned people for dead on the moor.
(d) He beat a man to death for looking at him wrong.
4. How does Holmes go about his search for the cut-up newspaper?
(a) He hires a boy named Cartwright to search the wastepaper of each hotel in Charing Cross.
(b) Holmes checks the wastepaper himself.
(c) Holmes sends Watson to check the wastepaper.
(d) He hires a boy named Cartwright to bribe the postman.
5. What newspaper does Holmes find the original newsprint from?
(a) The previous day's Devonshire Times.
(b) The previous day's London Times.
(c) The current London TImes.
(d) The current Devonshire Times.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Holmes propose to find the sender of Sir Henry's object?
2. What is the actual reason for Dr. Mortimer's consultation with Holmes?
3. Who is Sir Charles's heir?
4. What health concern, exacerbated by the story of the hound, did Sir Charles possess?
5. How does Holmes describe the walking stick?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Selden and why is he significant to everyone?
2. Why is Watson unable to sleep soundly on his first night at Baskerville Hall?
3. What is significant about the letter being made up of words from the London Times?
4. How does Dr. Mortimer view Holmes and why?
5. Why does Holmes want Watson to report only the facts to him?
6. What is the relationship between Sir Charles and Dr. Mortimer?
7. Sir Henry uses the term "dime novel" to suggest his feelings on the whole matter. What does this say about Sir Henry?
8. Why does Watson say that Sir Henry appears to have inherited the Baskerville temper?
9. Why is Holmes disappointed in Dr. Mortimer?
10. Why is the reappearance of Sir Henry's brown boot a mystery?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)