|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much is Sir Henry going to inherit from Sir Charles?
(a) Nearly a million pounds.
(b) Several hundreds of pounds.
(c) Over two million pounds.
(d) Nearly half a million pounds.
2. Why do Barrymore and his wife wish to leave Baskerville Hall?
(a) They like Sir Henry, but do not wish to serve someone who is not English.
(b) They do not care for Sir Henry.
(c) They are shaken up by the death of Sir Charles.
(d) They have a better opportunity with another household.
3. What does Holmes have Watson send up to him?
(a) His violin.
4. What does Watson observe that Sir Henry has inherited from his ancestors?
(a) The temper.
(b) The intelligence.
(c) The cruelty.
(d) The godlessness.
5. What is a favored study of Dr. Mortimer?
(c) The study of the human hand.
(d) The study of skull formations.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Watson is in Baskerville Hall, what is the only thing he is to report to Holmes?
2. How does Holmes go about his search for the cut-up newspaper?
3. What about the handwriting reveals to Holmes that the object originated at a hotel?
4. What sets off the chain of events in the manuscript?
5. How did the cabman describe the bearded man?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Holmes and Watson lose the cab that was following Sir Henry?
2. Why does Watson now suspect Barrymore is the murderer?
3. Why did Dr. Mortimer advise Sir Charles to go to London?
4. What is significant about Holmes's deduction that Sir Charles was actually running?
5. Why does Holmes go into complete seclusion for the rest of the day?
6. Why does Holmes want Watson to report only the facts to him?
7. Why does Holmes discount the idea that one of Sir Henry's heirs or relatives wants him dead?
8. What is the point of sending a telegram to Barrymore?
9. Sir Henry uses the term "dime novel" to suggest his feelings on the whole matter. What does this say about Sir Henry?
10. How does Watson feel about Sir Henry?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)