|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Watson observe that Sir Henry has inherited from his ancestors?
(a) The intelligence.
(b) The temper.
(c) The godlessness.
(d) The cruelty.
2. What does Dr. Mortimer read out loud to Watson and Holmes?
(a) Maps of Devonshire.
(b) Sir Charles's last will and testament.
(c) A newspaper article.
(d) The legend of the Baskerville hound.
3. What dangerous place on the moor has claimed the lives of several people and animals?
(a) The Grimpen Mire.
(b) Devon Mire.
(c) The Green Tor.
(d) Fox Tor.
4. What does C.C.H (engraved on the stick) stand for?
(a) Christian Cross Hospital.
(b) Charing Court Hospital.
(c) Christian Care Hospital.
(d) Charing Cross Hospital.
5. What does Sir Henry receive the morning he meets Holmes?
(a) A letter.
(b) A telegram from Canada.
(c) A walking stick.
(d) A bank note.
Short Answer Questions
1. What newspaper does Holmes find the original newsprint from?
2. What about the incident makes Dr. Mortimer most uneasy?
3. What do Watson and Stapleton see at the bog-hole?
4. Where did Sir Charles die?
5. Dr. Mortimer believes that, from the marks, Sir Charles had tip-toed throughout the gravel. What does Holmes deduce from those facts?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Selden and why is he significant to everyone?
2. Sir Henry uses the term "dime novel" to suggest his feelings on the whole matter. What does this say about Sir Henry?
3. What was wrong with Holmes's deductions of Dr. Mortimer?
4. Why does Holmes go into complete seclusion for the rest of the day?
5. What three leads turn out to be dead-ends for this case?
6. What is significant about Holmes's deduction that Sir Charles was actually running?
7. Why does Holmes want Watson to report only the facts to him?
8. What is the relationship between Sir Charles and Dr. Mortimer?
9. Why does Watson say that Sir Henry appears to have inherited the Baskerville temper?
10. How does Watson feel about Sir Henry?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)