|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What about the handwriting reveals to Holmes that the object originated at a hotel?
(a) He recognized the ink.
(b) The handwriting is messy, meaning someone uneducated wrote it.
(c) The splatters showed that the ink bottle was running dry, common for hotels but not for personal use.
(d) The handwriting is too neat to not belong to a hotel clerk.
2. After questioning Dr. Mortimer about the discovery of Sir Charles's body, what is Holmes annoyed about?
(a) He wishes Dr. Mortimer had called him in sooner.
(b) He thinks this case is a waste of time.
(c) He believes Dr. Mortimer is paranoid.
(d) He does not care for Sir Charles.
3. How does Holmes describe the walking stick?
(a) A rude gesture.
(b) A visiting card from the absent-minded.
(c) The mark of a careless, untrustworthy man.
(d) A present.
4. How does Holmes trick the hotel clerk into talking about guests who have checked in after Sir Henry?
(a) Holmes asks about Sir Henry.
(b) Holmes claims to recognize the names and was wondering if they were friends of his.
(c) Holmes distracts him while Watson looks at the registry.
(d) Holmes makes the clerk think he is asking about Sir Henry's relatives.
5. Who is Sir Charles's heir?
(a) Harry Baskerville.
(b) Hugo Baskerville.
(c) Henry Baskerville.
(d) Charles Baskerville II.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stapleton reveal that shocks Watson?
2. What sort of accent does Sir Henry possess?
3. What word is the only one not taken from a newspaper with Sir Henry's object?
4. Why do Barrymore and his wife wish to leave Baskerville Hall?
5. Why does Holmes change his mind about Sir Henry going to Baskerville Hall?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the fact that Mrs. Barrymore received the telegram instead of her husband?
2. Why does Watson now suspect Barrymore is the murderer?
3. What is dangerous about the Grimpen Mire?
4. What is significant about the letter being made up of words from the London Times?
5. Why is Dr. Mortimer concerned about Sir Henry's safety?
6. How does Watson feel about Sir Henry?
7. What is the point of sending a telegram to Barrymore?
8. Why did Dr. Mortimer advise Sir Charles to go to London?
9. What are Holmes's deductions of Dr. Mortimer from his walking-stick, and how did he arrive at them?
10. What is the relationship between Sir Charles and Dr. Mortimer?
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)