|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Holmes spend his day after the departure of Dr. Mortimer and Watson?
(a) Playing violin and thinking.
(b) Smoking and thinking.
(c) Drinking and thinking.
(d) Doing cocaine and thinking.
2. How is Holmes able to deduce the size of Dr. Mortimer's dog?
(a) Holmes guesses.
(b) Holmes sees marks of measurement on the walking stick.
(c) Holmes sees the scratch marks on the bottom of the staff.
(d) Holmes looks at the size and spacing of the teeth marks on the doctor's walking stick.
3. What does the first telegram to Holmes reveal?
(a) Barrymore appears to be in London.
(b) Barrymore does not appear to be at Baskerville Hall.
(c) Barrymore appears to have left the country.
(d) Barrymore appears to be at Baskerville Hall.
4. What word is the only one not taken from a newspaper with Sir Henry's object?
5. What does Sir Henry plan to do to the yew bridge?
(a) Make it a memorial to Sir Charles.
(b) Open it up for the public.
(c) Install electric lights to dispel the gloom.
(d) Tear it down.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sir Henry's opinion of Baskerville Hall?
2. What does Dr. Mortimer call Holmes in Chapter 1?
3. What sort of accent does Sir Henry possess?
4. What dangerous place on the moor has claimed the lives of several people and animals?
5. What excites Sir Henry on the journey where he cries out in delight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Watson say that Sir Henry appears to have inherited the Baskerville temper?
2. Why does Holmes want Watson to report only the facts to him?
3. Why is Dr. Mortimer concerned about Sir Henry's safety?
4. What is significant about the letter being made up of words from the London Times?
5. What is significant about Holmes's deduction that Sir Charles was actually running?
6. Sir Henry uses the term "dime novel" to suggest his feelings on the whole matter. What does this say about Sir Henry?
7. What are Holmes's deductions of Dr. Mortimer from his walking-stick, and how did he arrive at them?
8. What three leads turn out to be dead-ends for this case?
9. Why is Holmes disappointed in Dr. Mortimer?
10. What is the relationship between Sir Charles and Dr. Mortimer?
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)