|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Watson observe that Sir Henry has inherited from his ancestors?
(a) The godlessness.
(b) The cruelty.
(c) The intelligence.
(d) The temper.
2. How does Hugo's captive escape?
(a) She bribed his servant.
(b) She crawled down the ivy-covered wall.
(c) She sneaked out of his bedroom.
(d) She used the entrance to the yew alley.
3. What about the incident makes Dr. Mortimer most uneasy?
(a) He believes the servants set up Sir Charles's murder.
(b) He believes it may be supernatural in nature.
(c) He believes the hound is haunting him.
(d) He believes he may be next.
4. What newspaper does Holmes find the original newsprint from?
(a) The previous day's London Times.
(b) The previous day's Devonshire Times.
(c) The current London TImes.
(d) The current Devonshire Times.
5. What is the actual reason for Dr. Mortimer's consultation with Holmes?
(a) He wants Holmes to investigate Sir Charles's will.
(b) He fears for Sir Henry's safety if he is to go to the hall.
(c) He wants Watson to get an autopsy report for Sir Charles.
(d) He wants Holmes to kill the hound.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Holmes describe the walking stick?
2. How much is Sir Henry going to inherit from Sir Charles?
3. What does Miss Stapleton tell Watson when she first meets him on the moor?
4. Why do Barrymore and his wife wish to leave Baskerville Hall?
5. What do Sir Henry, Dr. Mortimer, and Watson discover as they travel to the moor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on Watson's examination of the walking-stick, how does he describe Dr. Mortimer?
2. Why is Dr. Mortimer concerned about Sir Henry's safety?
3. What is significant about the fact that Mrs. Barrymore received the telegram instead of her husband?
4. Why does Holmes want Watson to report only the facts to him?
5. What are Holmes's deductions of Dr. Mortimer from his walking-stick, and how did he arrive at them?
6. Why is Holmes disappointed in Dr. Mortimer?
7. What is the point of sending a telegram to Barrymore?
8. Why does Watson say that Sir Henry appears to have inherited the Baskerville temper?
9. Who is Selden and why is he significant to everyone?
10. How does Dr. Mortimer view Holmes and why?
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)