|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sets off the chain of events in the manuscript?
(a) Hugo kidnapped the daughter of a yeoman.
(b) Hugo killed the daughter of a yeoman.
(c) Hugo killed a gypsy's dog.
(d) Hugo sent a man to die in Grimpen Mire.
2. What does Holmes deduce about the sender of Sir Henry's object?
(a) The sender is uneducated and trying to sound educated.
(b) The sender is trying to conceal his or her's education.
(c) The sender is not English.
(d) The sender is highly disturbed.
3. Who is the man that brought the curse upon the Baskervilles?
(a) Hugo Baskerville.
(b) Hank Baskerville.
(c) Charles Baskerville.
(d) Henry Baskerville.
4. What newspaper does Holmes find the original newsprint from?
(a) The previous day's Devonshire Times.
(b) The current London TImes.
(c) The current Devonshire Times.
(d) The previous day's London Times.
5. Who does Dr. Mortimer say has a beard like the man that was following them?
(a) Frankland, one of the Baskerville neighbors.
(b) Barrymore's brother.
(c) Barrymore, Sir Charles's butler.
(d) Anthony, Sir Charles's groom.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much is Sir Henry going to inherit from Sir Charles?
2. What is the address of the rooms that Watson and Holmes share?
3. What word is the only one not taken from a newspaper with Sir Henry's object?
4. What did Sir Henry discover was missing before he left to see Holmes with Dr. Mortimer?
5. How does Watson know Barrymore is lying?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Watson unable to sleep soundly on his first night at Baskerville Hall?
2. Based on Watson's examination of the walking-stick, how does he describe Dr. Mortimer?
3. What was wrong with Holmes's deductions of Dr. Mortimer?
4. What three leads turn out to be dead-ends for this case?
5. What is the significance of the strange discovery by Sir Charles's body?
6. How does Watson feel about Sir Henry?
7. What is significant about the letter being made up of words from the London Times?
8. What is the relationship between Sir Charles and Dr. Mortimer?
9. What is the point of sending a telegram to Barrymore?
10. What is Stapleton's theory about how Sir Charles died?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)