|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Holmes go about his search for the cut-up newspaper?
(a) Holmes sends Watson to check the wastepaper.
(b) He hires a boy named Cartwright to search the wastepaper of each hotel in Charing Cross.
(c) Holmes checks the wastepaper himself.
(d) He hires a boy named Cartwright to bribe the postman.
2. Who is following Sir Henry and Dr. Mortimer when they leave Holmes and Watson's rooms?
(a) A street urchin.
(b) A man dressed up as a priest.
(c) A man with a possibly fake beard.
(d) A woman dressed up as a man.
3. What does Dr. Mortimer read out loud to Watson and Holmes?
(a) A newspaper article.
(b) The legend of the Baskerville hound.
(c) Sir Charles's last will and testament.
(d) Maps of Devonshire.
4. How does Holmes trick the hotel clerk into talking about guests who have checked in after Sir Henry?
(a) Holmes claims to recognize the names and was wondering if they were friends of his.
(b) Holmes asks about Sir Henry.
(c) Holmes makes the clerk think he is asking about Sir Henry's relatives.
(d) Holmes distracts him while Watson looks at the registry.
5. What would Dr. Mortimer like to do?
(a) Play violin with Holmes.
(b) Write a letter to Holmes.
(c) Take Holmes and Watson to dinner.
(d) Study Holmes's skull.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name did the bearded man who followed Sir Henry give the cabman?
2. When Dr. Mortimer arrives at the rooms, what is revealed that annoys Holmes?
3. What is Watson's impression of Miss Stapleton?
4. What is the address of the rooms that Watson and Holmes share?
5. How does Watson know Barrymore is lying?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dr. Mortimer view Holmes and why?
2. What is dangerous about the Grimpen Mire?
3. Why does Holmes go into complete seclusion for the rest of the day?
4. Why did Dr. Mortimer advise Sir Charles to go to London?
5. How did Holmes and Watson lose the cab that was following Sir Henry?
6. Why does Holmes want Watson to report only the facts to him?
7. What is the point of sending a telegram to Barrymore?
8. What is the significance of the strange discovery by Sir Charles's body?
9. What is the relationship between Sir Charles and Dr. Mortimer?
10. What is Hugo's evil act, as relayed in the manuscript?
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)