|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Watson is in Baskerville Hall, what is the only thing he is to report to Holmes?
2. What did Sir Henry discover was missing before he left to see Holmes with Dr. Mortimer?
(a) A brown hat.
(b) A brown boot.
(c) An old suitcoat.
(d) An old boot.
3. How did Dr. Mortimer deduce that Sir Charles had stood at the gate for five to ten minutes?
(a) Sir Charles's watch had been smashed.
(b) He noticed that cigar ash had dropped twice.
(c) He watched Sir Charles the night he died.
(d) Sir Charles marked time with pebbles.
4. What is Watson's impression of Miss Stapleton?
(a) He finds her to be beautiful and out of place.
(b) He finds her to be very plain and sturdy.
(c) He finds her off-putting.
(d) He finds her to be very humorous.
5. When Holmes and Watson arrive at the hotel, what does Sir Henry claim to have lost this time?
(a) A black boot.
(b) A pipe.
(c) A black hat.
(d) An overcoat.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Holmes spend his time before meeting with Sir Henry in the afternoon following their first meeting?
2. What is the address of the rooms that Watson and Holmes share?
3. How does Holmes propose to find the sender of Sir Henry's object?
4. How does Hugo's captive escape?
5. What is the result of Hugo's wild ride after the girl?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Stapleton's theory about how Sir Charles died?
2. What was wrong with Holmes's deductions of Dr. Mortimer?
3. What are Holmes's deductions of Dr. Mortimer from his walking-stick, and how did he arrive at them?
4. How does Dr. Mortimer view Holmes and why?
5. What is significant about the fact that Mrs. Barrymore received the telegram instead of her husband?
6. Why did Dr. Mortimer advise Sir Charles to go to London?
7. Based on Watson's examination of the walking-stick, how does he describe Dr. Mortimer?
8. Why is Watson unable to sleep soundly on his first night at Baskerville Hall?
9. Why is Dr. Mortimer concerned about Sir Henry's safety?
10. How does Watson feel about Sir Henry?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)