|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Holmes go about his search for the cut-up newspaper?
(a) He hires a boy named Cartwright to search the wastepaper of each hotel in Charing Cross.
(b) Holmes checks the wastepaper himself.
(c) He hires a boy named Cartwright to bribe the postman.
(d) Holmes sends Watson to check the wastepaper.
2. What did Sir Henry discover was missing before he left to see Holmes with Dr. Mortimer?
(a) An old suitcoat.
(b) A brown boot.
(c) A brown hat.
(d) An old boot.
3. What does Sir Henry receive the morning he meets Holmes?
(a) A walking stick.
(b) A telegram from Canada.
(c) A bank note.
(d) A letter.
4. What is the result of Hugo's wild ride after the girl?
(a) Hugo has his throat torn out by a large hound.
(b) A hound will visit Baskerville Hall every full moon to take one of the men away.
(c) Hugo marries the girl.
(d) Hugo is murdered by the girl's father.
5. With whom does Miss Stapleton confuse Watson?
(a) Sherlock Holmes.
(c) Sir Henry.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Dr. Mortimer, why did no one else notice the strange marks near the body?
2. What sets off the chain of events in the manuscript?
3. What is Sir Henry's opinion of Baskerville Hall?
4. What does Sir Henry do that Holmes strongly advises against?
5. What does Watson hear alone at night in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Dr. Mortimer advise Sir Charles to go to London?
2. What is significant about Holmes's deduction that Sir Charles was actually running?
3. Who is Selden and why is he significant to everyone?
4. What is the significance of the strange discovery by Sir Charles's body?
5. Why is the reappearance of Sir Henry's brown boot a mystery?
6. How does Watson feel about Sir Henry?
7. What was wrong with Holmes's deductions of Dr. Mortimer?
8. Why does Holmes want Watson to report only the facts to him?
9. Why does Watson now suspect Barrymore is the murderer?
10. What is Stapleton's theory about how Sir Charles died?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)