|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much is Sir Henry going to inherit from Sir Charles?
(a) Nearly a million pounds.
(b) Several hundreds of pounds.
(c) Over two million pounds.
(d) Nearly half a million pounds.
2. What is the object left behind on which Watson tries to deduce a reconstruction of the mysterious owner?
(a) A boot.
(b) A walking stick.
(c) A hat.
(d) A notebook.
3. What is the Baskerville curse?
(a) Any descendent of the Baskervilles is to never cross the moor at night, though several have died violently.
(b) The Baskervilles are cursed to turn into hounds if they become like Hugo.
(c) The hound will avenge the death of any Baskerville.
(d) A hound will visit Baskerville Hall every full moon to take one of the men away.
4. Though he is described as godless, what in particular made Hugo notorious?
(a) His scarred face.
(b) He frequently abandoned people for dead on the moor.
(c) His cruel humor.
(d) He beat a man to death for looking at him wrong.
5. What does Sir Henry do that Holmes strongly advises against?
(a) He spent an afternoon alone.
(b) He wrote to his servants.
(c) He tried to track down the murderer himself.
(d) He tried to go to the bank.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sir Henry plan to do to the yew bridge?
2. How does Hugo's captive escape?
3. What does Dr. Mortimer read out loud to Watson and Holmes?
4. While Watson is in Baskerville Hall, what is the only thing he is to report to Holmes?
5. How was Holmes able to tell what newspaper the words came from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Watson believe about the supernatural possibilities of the hound?
2. How did Holmes survive all those weeks on the moor?
3. What are Holmes's instructions to Cartwright and why is it significant?
4. What contributes to the dark mood around Baskerville Hall at the beginning of Chapter 10?
5. How did Holmes and Watson lose the cab that was following Sir Henry?
6. What is the arrangement between Selden and the Barrymores, and how did it come to be?
7. Why is Watson hurt about Holmes's deception?
8. Why does Frankland file so many lawsuits?
9. What is the significance of the strange discovery by Sir Charles's body?
10. Why is Holmes disappointed in Dr. Mortimer?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)