|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Baskerville curse?
(a) A hound will visit Baskerville Hall every full moon to take one of the men away.
(b) The Baskervilles are cursed to turn into hounds if they become like Hugo.
(c) The hound will avenge the death of any Baskerville.
(d) Any descendent of the Baskervilles is to never cross the moor at night, though several have died violently.
2. How does Hugo's captive escape?
(a) She crawled down the ivy-covered wall.
(b) She bribed his servant.
(c) She sneaked out of his bedroom.
(d) She used the entrance to the yew alley.
3. What does Holmes have Watson send up to him?
(c) His violin.
4. What does Holmes advise to Watson before Watson leaves for Devonshire with Sir Henry and Dr. Mortimer?
(a) To stay armed at all times.
(b) To never go out on the moor.
(c) To take up smoking.
(d) To always have a dog with him.
5. Who does Dr. Mortimer say has a beard like the man that was following them?
(a) Barrymore's brother.
(b) Frankland, one of the Baskerville neighbors.
(c) Anthony, Sir Charles's groom.
(d) Barrymore, Sir Charles's butler.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Watson observe that Sir Henry has inherited from his ancestors?
2. Where did Sir Charles die?
3. Who is the man that brought the curse upon the Baskervilles?
4. What would Dr. Mortimer like to do?
5. What was found near Sir Charles's body?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Holmes disappointed in Dr. Mortimer?
2. What is significant about the letter being made up of words from the London Times?
3. Why does Holmes want Watson to report only the facts to him?
4. Sir Henry uses the term "dime novel" to suggest his feelings on the whole matter. What does this say about Sir Henry?
5. Why does Watson now suspect Barrymore is the murderer?
6. What was wrong with Holmes's deductions of Dr. Mortimer?
7. What is Stapleton's theory about how Sir Charles died?
8. What is the point of sending a telegram to Barrymore?
9. What is the relationship between Sir Charles and Dr. Mortimer?
10. What is Hugo's evil act, as relayed in the manuscript?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)