|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word is the only one not taken from a newspaper with Sir Henry's object?
2. How is Holmes able to deduce the size of Dr. Mortimer's dog?
(a) Holmes looks at the size and spacing of the teeth marks on the doctor's walking stick.
(b) Holmes sees the scratch marks on the bottom of the staff.
(c) Holmes sees marks of measurement on the walking stick.
(d) Holmes guesses.
3. What would Dr. Mortimer like to do?
(a) Study Holmes's skull.
(b) Play violin with Holmes.
(c) Write a letter to Holmes.
(d) Take Holmes and Watson to dinner.
4. What does Holmes deduce about the sender of Sir Henry's object?
(a) The sender is uneducated and trying to sound educated.
(b) The sender is highly disturbed.
(c) The sender is trying to conceal his or her's education.
(d) The sender is not English.
5. What is Sir Henry's opinion of Baskerville Hall?
(a) He finds it to be too big.
(b) He finds it cheerful.
(c) He finds it gloomy.
(d) He finds it to be stifling.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sir Henry receive the morning he meets Holmes?
2. Before the death of Sir Charles, what had appeared to people on the moor?
3. What is the object left behind on which Watson tries to deduce a reconstruction of the mysterious owner?
4. How much is Sir Henry going to inherit from Sir Charles?
5. What is a favored study of Dr. Mortimer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the point of sending a telegram to Barrymore?
2. What is significant about the letter being made up of words from the London Times?
3. Why is Watson unable to sleep soundly on his first night at Baskerville Hall?
4. Why is Dr. Mortimer concerned about Sir Henry's safety?
5. Why does Holmes go into complete seclusion for the rest of the day?
6. Why is the reappearance of Sir Henry's brown boot a mystery?
7. Why did Dr. Mortimer advise Sir Charles to go to London?
8. What is Stapleton's theory about how Sir Charles died?
9. Sir Henry uses the term "dime novel" to suggest his feelings on the whole matter. What does this say about Sir Henry?
10. Why is Holmes disappointed in Dr. Mortimer?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)