|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What dangerous place on the moor has claimed the lives of several people and animals?
(a) Devon Mire.
(b) Fox Tor.
(c) The Grimpen Mire.
(d) The Green Tor.
2. What does Holmes believe is the reason Sir Charles went out to the yew alley that night?
(a) Sir Charles wished to smoke his cigar outside.
(b) Sir Charles was waiting for the hound.
(c) Sir Charles was waiting for someone.
(d) Sir Charles was just out on a walk.
3. According to Dr. Mortimer, why did no one else notice the strange marks near the body?
(a) He was the only one there.
(b) The prints were too far away.
(c) No one cared.
(d) Everyone was drunk.
4. What about the handwriting reveals to Holmes that the object originated at a hotel?
(a) He recognized the ink.
(b) The handwriting is messy, meaning someone uneducated wrote it.
(c) The handwriting is too neat to not belong to a hotel clerk.
(d) The splatters showed that the ink bottle was running dry, common for hotels but not for personal use.
5. What sets off the chain of events in the manuscript?
(a) Hugo sent a man to die in Grimpen Mire.
(b) Hugo killed a gypsy's dog.
(c) Hugo kidnapped the daughter of a yeoman.
(d) Hugo killed the daughter of a yeoman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Stapleton tell Watson when she first meets him on the moor?
2. When Holmes and Watson arrive at the hotel, what does Sir Henry claim to have lost this time?
3. According to Holmes, who is actually the owner of the stick?
4. What do Watson and Stapleton see at the bog-hole?
5. Why does Holmes change his mind about Sir Henry going to Baskerville Hall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Dr. Mortimer advise Sir Charles to go to London?
2. What is Stapleton's theory about how Sir Charles died?
3. What is significant about the fact that Mrs. Barrymore received the telegram instead of her husband?
4. Why is Dr. Mortimer concerned about Sir Henry's safety?
5. Why is Holmes disappointed in Dr. Mortimer?
6. Sir Henry uses the term "dime novel" to suggest his feelings on the whole matter. What does this say about Sir Henry?
7. How did Holmes and Watson lose the cab that was following Sir Henry?
8. Based on Watson's examination of the walking-stick, how does he describe Dr. Mortimer?
9. What is significant about Holmes's deduction that Sir Charles was actually running?
10. Why is the reappearance of Sir Henry's brown boot a mystery?
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)