|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Holmes able to tell what newspaper the words came from?
(a) The date was on one of the words.
(b) The font.
(c) He found the cut-up newspaper.
(d) The color of the newsprint.
2. What is Sir Henry's opinion of Baskerville Hall?
(a) He finds it gloomy.
(b) He finds it to be too big.
(c) He finds it cheerful.
(d) He finds it to be stifling.
3. What is Stapleton's profession?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A barrister.
(c) A naturalist.
(d) A professor.
4. According to Holmes, who is actually the owner of the stick?
(a) A young, ambitious doctor.
(b) An older, incompetent doctor.
(c) A young, unambitious doctor.
(d) An older, caring doctor.
5. When Holmes and Watson arrive at the hotel, what does Sir Henry claim to have lost this time?
(a) A black boot.
(b) A black hat.
(c) An overcoat.
(d) A pipe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Holmes advise to Watson before Watson leaves for Devonshire with Sir Henry and Dr. Mortimer?
2. How does Hugo's captive escape?
3. How much is Sir Henry going to inherit from Sir Charles?
4. How does Holmes describe the walking stick?
5. Who does Dr. Mortimer say has a beard like the man that was following them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the strange discovery by Sir Charles's body?
2. Based on Watson's examination of the walking-stick, how does he describe Dr. Mortimer?
3. Sir Henry uses the term "dime novel" to suggest his feelings on the whole matter. What does this say about Sir Henry?
4. What is Stapleton's theory about how Sir Charles died?
5. What is significant about Holmes's deduction that Sir Charles was actually running?
6. What three leads turn out to be dead-ends for this case?
7. What is significant about the fact that Mrs. Barrymore received the telegram instead of her husband?
8. How does Watson feel about Sir Henry?
9. Why does Holmes discount the idea that one of Sir Henry's heirs or relatives wants him dead?
10. Why does Holmes go into complete seclusion for the rest of the day?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)