|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Dr. Mortimer, why did no one else notice the strange marks near the body?
(a) Everyone was drunk.
(b) The prints were too far away.
(c) He was the only one there.
(d) No one cared.
2. How does Holmes trick the hotel clerk into talking about guests who have checked in after Sir Henry?
(a) Holmes claims to recognize the names and was wondering if they were friends of his.
(b) Holmes makes the clerk think he is asking about Sir Henry's relatives.
(c) Holmes distracts him while Watson looks at the registry.
(d) Holmes asks about Sir Henry.
3. What does Watson observe that Sir Henry has inherited from his ancestors?
(a) The cruelty.
(b) The godlessness.
(c) The temper.
(d) The intelligence.
4. How was Holmes able to tell what newspaper the words came from?
(a) The color of the newsprint.
(b) He found the cut-up newspaper.
(c) The font.
(d) The date was on one of the words.
5. How does Holmes spend his day after the departure of Dr. Mortimer and Watson?
(a) Drinking and thinking.
(b) Smoking and thinking.
(c) Doing cocaine and thinking.
(d) Playing violin and thinking.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Holmes believe is the reason Sir Charles went out to the yew alley that night?
2. What does Watson hear coming from the moor?
3. What does Holmes deduce about the sender of Sir Henry's object?
4. What is the actual reason for Dr. Mortimer's consultation with Holmes?
5. What newspaper does Holmes find the original newsprint from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Sir Henry upset with Watson and Holmes?
2. What are Holmes's deductions of Dr. Mortimer from his walking-stick, and how did he arrive at them?
3. What is significant about Holmes's deduction that Sir Charles was actually running?
4. Why does Holmes want Watson to report only the facts to him?
5. How did Stapleton murder Sir Charles?
6. What three leads turn out to be dead-ends for this case?
7. Why did Dr. Mortimer advise Sir Charles to go to London?
8. How did Holmes survive all those weeks on the moor?
9. What does the hound look like?
10. Why does Holmes go into complete seclusion for the rest of the day?
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)