|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Sir Charles return to Baskerville Hall?
(a) He wished to disprove rumors of the Baskerville hound.
(b) He was going to have the hall destroyed.
(c) He wished to marry and start a family.
(d) He made a fortune in South Africa and wished to renovate his ancestral home.
2. What does Dr. Mortimer read out loud to Watson and Holmes?
(a) A newspaper article.
(b) The legend of the Baskerville hound.
(c) Sir Charles's last will and testament.
(d) Maps of Devonshire.
3. What is the object left behind on which Watson tries to deduce a reconstruction of the mysterious owner?
(a) A hat.
(b) A boot.
(c) A walking stick.
(d) A notebook.
4. What would Dr. Mortimer like to do?
(a) Write a letter to Holmes.
(b) Study Holmes's skull.
(c) Play violin with Holmes.
(d) Take Holmes and Watson to dinner.
5. How does Holmes check on Barrymore's location?
(a) He sends a telegram for him to Baskerville Hall that requires an immediate response.
(b) Holmes has a friend watch Baskerville Hall.
(c) Holmes asks the neighbors if they have seen Barrymore.
(d) Holmes sends a package to Baskerville Hall.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Sir Charles die?
2. What does Stapleton reveal that shocks Watson?
3. Why does Holmes change his mind about Sir Henry going to Baskerville Hall?
4. What sets off the chain of events in the manuscript?
5. What does Sir Henry receive the morning he meets Holmes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was wrong with Holmes's deductions of Dr. Mortimer?
2. Sir Henry uses the term "dime novel" to suggest his feelings on the whole matter. What does this say about Sir Henry?
3. What is significant about the fact that Mrs. Barrymore received the telegram instead of her husband?
4. What is dangerous about the Grimpen Mire?
5. How does Watson feel about Sir Henry?
6. Why does Watson now suspect Barrymore is the murderer?
7. What is the significance of the strange discovery by Sir Charles's body?
8. What is Stapleton's theory about how Sir Charles died?
9. Why does Holmes go into complete seclusion for the rest of the day?
10. What three leads turn out to be dead-ends for this case?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)