|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men deduce happened to Stapleton?
(a) He fell from a cliff.
(b) He drowned in the Grimpen Mire.
(c) He was killed by the hound.
(d) He escaped.
2. While returning to Baskerville Hall after trying to find Selden, what does Watson observe on one of the tors?
(a) He sees Barrymore running after the convict.
(b) He sees a hound baying at the moon.
(c) He sees a tall, thin man looking out on the moor.
(d) He sees Stapleton on the hunt for more insect specimens.
3. What does Watson believe is the identity of the man on the moor?
(a) The man who followed Sir Henry in London.
(b) Stapleton on the hunt for moths.
(c) The convict.
(d) Barrymore sneaking out to see his brother-in-law.
4. How did Holmes know it was Watson in his hut?
(a) He watched Watson all the way from Frankland's manor.
(b) His footprints.
(c) His cigarette stub.
(d) He heard Watson mumbling to himself.
5. What had Stapleton falsely promised Mrs. Lyons?
(a) He promised to marry her after she was granted a divorce.
(b) He promised to give her Baskerville Hall.
(c) He promised to help her pursue a suit with Sir Henry.
(d) He promised to help her leave the country.
6. Why is Watson feeling coldly towards Frankland?
(a) He believes Frankland had a hand in Sir Charles's death.
(b) He disapproves of Frankland's abandonment of his daughter.
(c) He believes Frankland is the one stirring up rumors of the hound.
(d) He believes Frankland abused his daughter.
7. Why is Watson glad to see Holmes after going to the stone hut?
(a) The case is beginning to overwhelm Watson.
(b) He believes he is being followed.
(c) He is scared to walk back to Baskerville Hall alone.
(d) He was worried for Holmes's safety.
8. Why did Stapleton tie up and gag his wife?
(a) She was going to try to kill Sir Henry herself.
(b) She was going to run away.
(c) To prevent her from warning Sir Henry.
(d) She tried to kill her husband.
9. Who is the man on the moor?
(a) Sir Charles.
(b) Dr. Mortimer.
(c) Sherlock Holmes.
10. What does Stapleton do when he visits Baskerville Hall after Watson has followed Sir Henry?
(a) Stapleton attempts to pay Sir Henry to leave for London.
(b) Stapleton apologizes for his rudeness to Sir Henry in regards to his sister.
(c) Stapleton tries to hire the Barrymores away from Sir Henry.
(d) Stapleton strikes Sir Henry for talking to his sister.
11. What possible motive for Barrymore's strange behavior does Watson surmise?
(a) Watson wonders if Barrymore is cheating on his wife.
(b) Watson wonders if Barrymore is trying to find the hound himself.
(c) Watson wonders if Barrymore is trying to distract him.
(d) Watson wonders if Barrymore is attempting to rob Sir Henry.
12. What do Sir Henry and Watson do to entrap Barrymore?
(a) They ask Mrs. Barrymore what her husband's habits are at night.
(b) They stay up all night until they hear him come to the window with a candle.
(c) They have Dr. Mortimer follow Barrymore around for a day.
(d) They trick Barrymore into coming outside with them at night.
13. According to Mrs. Lyons, what did she do the night she was to meet with Sir Charles?
(a) She met with Sir Charles, but nothing happened.
(b) She was detained by a private matter, but sent a telegram to Sir Charles to not meet her.
(c) She was detained by a private matter and did not make the meeting.
(d) She met with Sir Charles and saw the hound.
14. In his correspondence with Holmes, what happens the previous night that rouses Watson's suspicion?
(a) He sees Mrs. Barrymore burning a letter.
(b) He sees Barrymore sneak to a window and light a candle.
(c) He sees Mrs. Barrymore going outside by herself.
(d) He sees Barrymore quickly packing his trunk.
15. While searching for Selden on the moor, what frightens both Sir Henry and Watson?
(a) They find a dead body.
(b) They hear a hound howling on the moor.
(c) They see a man sink into the Grimpen Mire.
(d) They hear someone screaming for help.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has excited Dr. Mortimer?
2. Why did Mrs. Lyons wish to meet with Sir Charles so secretly?
3. What was spread over the hound to give it a ghoulish look?
4. How does the hound die?
5. After Watson tells Holmes about his conversation with Laura Lyons, what does Holmes reveal to his partner about Miss Stapleton?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)