|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has excited Dr. Mortimer?
(a) He found evidence of the hound.
(b) He found gold in the soil.
(c) He found a prehistoric skull on an excavation.
(d) He found where the convict is hiding.
2. Where is the man on the moor staying?
(a) The Grimpen Mire.
(b) A tin miner's hut.
(c) The stone huts on the hillside.
(d) Fox Tor.
3. Who arrives from London to help Holmes?
(c) Sir Charles.
(d) Stapleton's brother.
4. While Sir Henry is inside Merripit House, what begins to happen that Holmes fears could disrupt their plan?
(a) Lestrade begins to feel ill.
(b) The fog rolls in.
(c) It begins to rain.
(d) A windstorm brews.
5. While returning to Baskerville Hall after trying to find Selden, what does Watson observe on one of the tors?
(a) He sees Stapleton on the hunt for more insect specimens.
(b) He sees a hound baying at the moon.
(c) He sees a tall, thin man looking out on the moor.
(d) He sees Barrymore running after the convict.
6. According to Barrymore, what is the plan for Selden?
(a) Selden will leave for France in a week.
(b) Selden will live alone on the moor.
(c) Selden will assume a new identity in Wales.
(d) Selden will leave in a few days for South America.
7. What does Barrymore tell Watson about the mysterious man on the moor?
(a) Selden believes he is an appartion.
(b) Selden sees a young woman frequently going to vsiti the man with supplies.
(c) Selden had informed his brother-in-law that the man has a young boy bringing him what he needs.
(d) Selden reports that the man is a foreigner.
8. Where does Stapleton take Sir Henry and Watson in Chapter 8?
(a) The place where the convict is believed to have been last seen.
(b) The Grimpen Mire.
(c) The area where, according to the story, Hugo Baskerville was killed.
(d) Hound's Tor.
9. How did Holmes know it was Watson in his hut?
(a) He heard Watson mumbling to himself.
(b) He watched Watson all the way from Frankland's manor.
(c) His cigarette stub.
(d) His footprints.
10. What sort of dog is the hound?
(a) Part mastiff and bloodhound.
(b) Pure great dane.
(c) English sheepdog.
(d) Part great dane and part greyhound.
11. What happens when Sir Henry begins his walk home?
(a) The hound appears.
(b) Mrs. Stapleton cries out.
(c) Gunshots are heard.
(d) It begins to storm.
12. Who is the man on the moor?
(b) Sir Charles.
(c) Dr. Mortimer.
(d) Sherlock Holmes.
13. What does Stapleton do when he visits Baskerville Hall after Watson has followed Sir Henry?
(a) Stapleton apologizes for his rudeness to Sir Henry in regards to his sister.
(b) Stapleton strikes Sir Henry for talking to his sister.
(c) Stapleton attempts to pay Sir Henry to leave for London.
(d) Stapleton tries to hire the Barrymores away from Sir Henry.
14. After learning that Mrs. Barrymore answered the telegram for her husband, what does Watson observe about the lady?
(a) She appears to not have a care in the world.
(b) She appears to be very ill.
(c) She appears to be very frightened at the story of the hound.
(d) She appears to be in a deep sorrow of mysterious origin.
15. What sort of business did the people on the moor help L.L. set up?
(a) A dogbreeding business.
(b) A veterinarian clinic.
(c) A branch of a legislative firm.
(d) A typewriting business.
Short Answer Questions
1. After asking questions about Frankland's daughter, how does Watson distract Dr. Mortimer from asking any questions?
2. What does Watson keep hearing from the moor?
3. Why did Mrs. Lyons wish to meet with Sir Charles on the night of his death?
4. After leaving Frankland's manor, where does Watson go?
5. Why is Watson feeling coldly towards Frankland?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)