|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Barrymore, what is the plan for Selden?
(a) Selden will leave in a few days for South America.
(b) Selden will live alone on the moor.
(c) Selden will assume a new identity in Wales.
(d) Selden will leave for France in a week.
2. After hearing a man scream on the moor, what do Watson and Holmes hear next?
(a) A carriage rattling behind them.
(b) The baying of the hound.
(d) A woman sobbing.
3. While returning to Baskerville Hall after trying to find Selden, what does Watson observe on one of the tors?
(a) He sees a tall, thin man looking out on the moor.
(b) He sees a hound baying at the moon.
(c) He sees Stapleton on the hunt for more insect specimens.
(d) He sees Barrymore running after the convict.
4. What does Watson keep hearing from the moor?
(a) The baying of a hound.
(b) A woman sobbing.
(c) A train.
(d) A man screaming.
5. How did Barrymore make the discovery of why Sir Charles went to the gate the night he died?
(a) Mrs. Barrymore found the charred remains of a letter.
(b) Barrymore overheard a conversation with Sir Charles.
(c) Barrymore followed Sir Charles to the gate.
(d) Mrs. Barrymore made plans to help Sir Charles to the gate.
6. Why did Mrs. Lyons wish to meet with Sir Charles so secretly?
(a) She wanted to keep her relationship a secret from her estranged husband.
(b) She did not want to face Barrymore.
(c) She wanted to avoid a scandal by meeting privately with a bachelor.
(d) She wanted to keep her friendship with Sir Charles secret from her father.
7. What possible motive for Barrymore's strange behavior does Watson surmise?
(a) Watson wonders if Barrymore is trying to find the hound himself.
(b) Watson wonders if Barrymore is cheating on his wife.
(c) Watson wonders if Barrymore is trying to distract him.
(d) Watson wonders if Barrymore is attempting to rob Sir Henry.
8. What had Stapleton falsely promised Mrs. Lyons?
(a) He promised to give her Baskerville Hall.
(b) He promised to marry her after she was granted a divorce.
(c) He promised to help her leave the country.
(d) He promised to help her pursue a suit with Sir Henry.
9. Who is bringing Holmes supplies at the hut?
(b) Sir Henry.
10. After Watson tells Holmes about his conversation with Laura Lyons, what does Holmes reveal to his partner about Miss Stapleton?
(a) She is actually Stapleton's daughter.
(b) She is the murderer.
(c) She is Frankland's daughter.
(d) She is actually Stapleton's wife.
11. Who is the man that was killed on the moor?
(a) Dr. Mortimer.
12. According to Holmes and Watson's deductions, who must have sent the message of warning to Sir Henry in London?
(c) Dr. Mortimer.
(d) Miss Stapleton.
13. What state is Sir Henry left in after the attack and the truth about the Stapletons is revealed?
(a) Sir Henry becomes deliriously ill from strain.
(b) Sir Henry is immensely relieved to be rid of them.
(c) Sir Henry becomes murderously angry.
(d) Sir Henry is in a vegetative state of shock.
14. What sort of dog is the hound?
(a) Pure great dane.
(b) Part mastiff and bloodhound.
(c) English sheepdog.
(d) Part great dane and part greyhound.
15. In his gratitude for Sir Henry's decision about Selden, what does Barrymore reveal to Sir Henry and Watson?
(a) Sir Charles was at the gate to meet a woman.
(b) Sir Charles was protecting Mrs. Barrymore.
(c) Sir Charles was hoping to confront the hound head-on.
(d) Sir Charles knew he was going to die.
Short Answer Questions
1. What manner of narration is used in Chapter 10?
2. What do Sir Henry and Watson do to entrap Barrymore?
3. In his correspondence with Holmes, what happens the previous night that rouses Watson's suspicion?
4. Why did Holmes lie about being in London to Watson?
5. Why is the woman who wrote the letter to Sir Charles estranged from her family?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)