|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Sir Henry and Watson do to entrap Barrymore?
(a) They have Dr. Mortimer follow Barrymore around for a day.
(b) They stay up all night until they hear him come to the window with a candle.
(c) They ask Mrs. Barrymore what her husband's habits are at night.
(d) They trick Barrymore into coming outside with them at night.
2. What does Watson believe is the identity of the man on the moor?
(a) Barrymore sneaking out to see his brother-in-law.
(b) The man who followed Sir Henry in London.
(c) Stapleton on the hunt for moths.
(d) The convict.
3. What sort of business did the people on the moor help L.L. set up?
(a) A typewriting business.
(b) A branch of a legislative firm.
(c) A dogbreeding business.
(d) A veterinarian clinic.
4. What had Stapleton falsely promised Mrs. Lyons?
(a) He promised to marry her after she was granted a divorce.
(b) He promised to give her Baskerville Hall.
(c) He promised to help her pursue a suit with Sir Henry.
(d) He promised to help her leave the country.
5. What state is Sir Henry left in after the attack and the truth about the Stapletons is revealed?
(a) Sir Henry becomes deliriously ill from strain.
(b) Sir Henry becomes murderously angry.
(c) Sir Henry is in a vegetative state of shock.
(d) Sir Henry is immensely relieved to be rid of them.
6. According to Watson, what is one of Holmes's faults?
(a) Holmes underestimates everyone around him.
(b) Holmes never tells anyone his plans.
(c) Holmes can be lazy.
(d) Holmes is too vain.
7. Why did Holmes lie about being in London to Watson?
(a) He did not want Watson to inadvertently reveal to the enemy that he was there.
(b) He was afraid for Watson's safety.
(c) He knew Watson would tell Sir Henry.
(d) He did not trust Watson.
8. Where does Stapleton take Sir Henry and Watson in Chapter 8?
(a) The area where, according to the story, Hugo Baskerville was killed.
(b) The Grimpen Mire.
(c) Hound's Tor.
(d) The place where the convict is believed to have been last seen.
9. While searching for Selden on the moor, what frightens both Sir Henry and Watson?
(a) They find a dead body.
(b) They hear a hound howling on the moor.
(c) They hear someone screaming for help.
(d) They see a man sink into the Grimpen Mire.
10. What sort of dog is the hound?
(a) English sheepdog.
(b) Part great dane and part greyhound.
(c) Pure great dane.
(d) Part mastiff and bloodhound.
11. What does Mrs. Lyons credit to Sir Charles?
(a) Sir Charles helped her procure her divorce.
(b) Sir Charles helped her start her business and kept her on her feet.
(c) Sir Charles single-handedly saved the church from going under.
(d) Sir Charles dispelled the rumors going around about her.
12. What revelation upsets Laura Lyons?
(a) Sir Henry is related to her.
(b) Frankland is not her father.
(c) Stapleton is married.
(d) Sir Charles is still alive.
13. How did Barrymore make the discovery of why Sir Charles went to the gate the night he died?
(a) Barrymore followed Sir Charles to the gate.
(b) Mrs. Barrymore made plans to help Sir Charles to the gate.
(c) Mrs. Barrymore found the charred remains of a letter.
(d) Barrymore overheard a conversation with Sir Charles.
14. What does Frankland show Watson on his telescope?
(a) Watson sees the man on the moor.
(b) Watson sees the hound.
(c) Watson sees Sir Henry out by himself.
(d) Watson sees the young boy delivering food to the man on the moor.
15. After learning that Mrs. Barrymore answered the telegram for her husband, what does Watson observe about the lady?
(a) She appears to not have a care in the world.
(b) She appears to be in a deep sorrow of mysterious origin.
(c) She appears to be very ill.
(d) She appears to be very frightened at the story of the hound.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the deal Stapleton strikes with Sir Henry?
2. How is Chapter 8 narrated?
3. Who approaches Watson and Holmes after the discovery of the body on the moor?
4. What does Sir Henry do when Barrymore refuses to answer his questions?
5. What captures Holmes's attention in Baskerville Hall?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)