|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Barrymore confess?
(a) She is cheating on her husband.
(b) Her husband is cheating on her.
(c) The escaped convict is her brother.
(d) They inadvertently led Sir Charles to his death.
2. Where does Stapleton take Sir Henry and Watson in Chapter 8?
(a) The area where, according to the story, Hugo Baskerville was killed.
(b) The place where the convict is believed to have been last seen.
(c) The Grimpen Mire.
(d) Hound's Tor.
3. Who is the man that was killed on the moor?
(a) Dr. Mortimer.
4. What sort of business did the people on the moor help L.L. set up?
(a) A branch of a legislative firm.
(b) A typewriting business.
(c) A dogbreeding business.
(d) A veterinarian clinic.
5. What do the men deduce happened to Stapleton?
(a) He was killed by the hound.
(b) He escaped.
(c) He fell from a cliff.
(d) He drowned in the Grimpen Mire.
6. After Watson tells Holmes about his conversation with Laura Lyons, what does Holmes reveal to his partner about Miss Stapleton?
(a) She is actually Stapleton's daughter.
(b) She is the murderer.
(c) She is actually Stapleton's wife.
(d) She is Frankland's daughter.
7. Why is Watson glad to see Holmes after going to the stone hut?
(a) He is scared to walk back to Baskerville Hall alone.
(b) He was worried for Holmes's safety.
(c) The case is beginning to overwhelm Watson.
(d) He believes he is being followed.
8. What sort of dog is the hound?
(a) Part mastiff and bloodhound.
(b) English sheepdog.
(c) Part great dane and part greyhound.
(d) Pure great dane.
9. According to the letter to Holmes, what is the status on the escaped convict?
(a) The convict will likely be caught soon.
(b) The convict has likely escaped the area.
(c) The convict will likely turn himself in to escape the inhospitable moor.
(d) The convict has probably died out on the moors.
10. What happens when Sir Henry begins his walk home?
(a) Gunshots are heard.
(b) Mrs. Stapleton cries out.
(c) It begins to storm.
(d) The hound appears.
11. While searching for Selden on the moor, what frightens both Sir Henry and Watson?
(a) They hear a hound howling on the moor.
(b) They find a dead body.
(c) They see a man sink into the Grimpen Mire.
(d) They hear someone screaming for help.
12. What does Frankland show Watson on his telescope?
(a) Watson sees the young boy delivering food to the man on the moor.
(b) Watson sees the hound.
(c) Watson sees Sir Henry out by himself.
(d) Watson sees the man on the moor.
13. Who is L.L.?
(a) Laura Lancaster, the youngest sister of Frankland.
(b) There is no L.L.
(c) Laura Lols, the cousin of Stapleton.
(d) Laura Lyons, the daughter of Frankland.
14. What was spread over the hound to give it a ghoulish look?
(b) Swamp water.
15. Why did Mrs. Lyons wish to meet with Sir Charles on the night of his death?
(a) She was hoping that he would propose to her.
(b) She was hoping that he would give his blessing to her divorce.
(c) She needed his help and he was going to be away to London for a long time.
(d) She wished to warn him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Holmes lie about being in London to Watson?
2. What captures Holmes's attention in Baskerville Hall?
3. In his gratitude for Sir Henry's decision about Selden, what does Barrymore reveal to Sir Henry and Watson?
4. Why did Stapleton tie up and gag his wife?
5. How did Sir Charles hear about Mrs. Lyons's situation?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)