Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What instructions does Holmes give Cartwright?
(a) Cartwright is to send for Lestrade.
(b) Cartwright is to tail Sir Henry.
(c) Cartwright is to take Mrs. Stapleton to safety.
(d) Cartwright is to go to London and send a telegram to Sir Henry in Holmes's name.
2. To whom does this statement apply: "Evil indeed is the man who has not one woman to mourn him" ?
3. Where is the man on the moor staying?
(a) A tin miner's hut.
(b) The Grimpen Mire.
(c) Fox Tor.
(d) The stone huts on the hillside.
4. What does Watson find in the stone hut that pertains to him?
(a) He finds a note that details his whereabouts for the day.
(b) He finds his letters to Holmes.
(c) He finds his old overcoat.
(d) He finds his brand of cigarettes.
5. After leaving Frankland's manor, where does Watson go?
(a) He goes to the Grimpen Mire.
(b) He goes to the Fox Tor to search for Sir Henry.
(c) He goes back to Baskerville Hall.
(d) He goes to the spot where he saw the boy.
6. Because of the convict and out of concern for the Stapletons, what did Sir Henry offer to them, which Stapleton turned down?
(a) The company of Sir Henry.
(b) The company of Watson.
(c) The company of Perkins, Sir Henry's groom.
(d) The company of Barrymore.
7. After hearing a man scream on the moor, what do Watson and Holmes hear next?
(b) A carriage rattling behind them.
(c) The baying of the hound.
(d) A woman sobbing.
8. What do the men deduce happened to Stapleton?
(a) He fell from a cliff.
(b) He was killed by the hound.
(c) He escaped.
(d) He drowned in the Grimpen Mire.
9. Why did Holmes lie about being in London to Watson?
(a) He was afraid for Watson's safety.
(b) He did not want Watson to inadvertently reveal to the enemy that he was there.
(c) He did not trust Watson.
(d) He knew Watson would tell Sir Henry.
10. Why did Stapleton tie up and gag his wife?
(a) She tried to kill her husband.
(b) She was going to run away.
(c) To prevent her from warning Sir Henry.
(d) She was going to try to kill Sir Henry herself.
11. How did Barrymore make the discovery of why Sir Charles went to the gate the night he died?
(a) Barrymore overheard a conversation with Sir Charles.
(b) Mrs. Barrymore made plans to help Sir Charles to the gate.
(c) Barrymore followed Sir Charles to the gate.
(d) Mrs. Barrymore found the charred remains of a letter.
12. What revelation upsets Laura Lyons?
(a) Sir Charles is still alive.
(b) Sir Henry is related to her.
(c) Stapleton is married.
(d) Frankland is not her father.
13. In his gratitude for Sir Henry's decision about Selden, what does Barrymore reveal to Sir Henry and Watson?
(a) Sir Charles was at the gate to meet a woman.
(b) Sir Charles was protecting Mrs. Barrymore.
(c) Sir Charles was hoping to confront the hound head-on.
(d) Sir Charles knew he was going to die.
14. What happens when Sir Henry begins his walk home?
(a) It begins to storm.
(b) The hound appears.
(c) Mrs. Stapleton cries out.
(d) Gunshots are heard.
15. What sort of business did the people on the moor help L.L. set up?
(a) A veterinarian clinic.
(b) A dogbreeding business.
(c) A typewriting business.
(d) A branch of a legislative firm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What state is Sir Henry left in after the attack and the truth about the Stapletons is revealed?
2. Who is the man on the moor?
3. After Watson tells Holmes about his conversation with Laura Lyons, what does Holmes reveal to his partner about Miss Stapleton?
4. According to Holmes and Watson's deductions, who must have sent the message of warning to Sir Henry in London?
5. What does Sir Henry do when Barrymore refuses to answer his questions?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)