|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Barrymore make the discovery of why Sir Charles went to the gate the night he died?
(a) Mrs. Barrymore made plans to help Sir Charles to the gate.
(b) Barrymore followed Sir Charles to the gate.
(c) Mrs. Barrymore found the charred remains of a letter.
(d) Barrymore overheard a conversation with Sir Charles.
2. By mid-October, what lady is beginning to preoccupy Sir Henry's thoughts, according to Watson?
(a) A yeoman's daughter.
(b) Laura Lyons.
(c) Miss Stapleton.
(d) Mrs. Barrymore.
3. How does Mr. Frankland spend his time when at home?
(a) He spends time restoring his home.
(b) He uses his telescope to look at the moor, ostensibly for the convict.
(c) He is writing a history of Devonshire.
(d) He spends time with his daughter, who is a painter.
4. While Sir Henry is being entertained in Merripit House, what do Holmes and Watson observe Stapleton doing?
(a) Stapleton is sobbing.
(b) Stapleton goes to the outhouse.
(c) Stapleton lets his horses loose.
(d) Stapleton goes to the Grimpen Mire.
5. Because of the convict and out of concern for the Stapletons, what did Sir Henry offer to them, which Stapleton turned down?
(a) The company of Watson.
(b) The company of Sir Henry.
(c) The company of Perkins, Sir Henry's groom.
(d) The company of Barrymore.
6. What does Holmes's discovery of the portrait reveal?
(a) Hugo never existed.
(b) Stapleton is a Baskerville.
(c) Sir Henry is not a Baskerville.
(d) Sir Charles is still alive.
7. Why is the woman who wrote the letter to Sir Charles estranged from her family?
(a) She did not wish to be a traditional housewife.
(b) She had a child out of wedlock.
(c) She married without her father's consent.
(d) She divorced her husband.
8. What is the deal Stapleton strikes with Sir Henry?
(a) Henry will allow Miss Stapleton to accompany him on a trip to London.
(b) Henry will allow Stapleton to inspect the grounds every night for signs of the hound.
(c) Henry will go with Stapleton on a moth-catching expedition so that he might get to know his sister's suitor better.
(d) Henry will build a friendship with Miss Stapleton for three months, after which he will be allowed to start wooing her.
9. What revelation upsets Laura Lyons?
(a) Frankland is not her father.
(b) Stapleton is married.
(c) Sir Henry is related to her.
(d) Sir Charles is still alive.
10. What must Sir Henry do to help Holmes solve the case?
(a) Sir Henry must fake his own death.
(b) Sir Henry must blindly do whatever Holmes tells him.
(c) Sir Henry must learn the lay of the land between his house and Stapleton's house.
(d) Sir Henry must call to the hound.
11. What had Stapleton falsely promised Mrs. Lyons?
(a) He promised to marry her after she was granted a divorce.
(b) He promised to help her leave the country.
(c) He promised to give her Baskerville Hall.
(d) He promised to help her pursue a suit with Sir Henry.
12. On the moor, what does Watson find himself unable to do?
(a) Go further into the Grimpen Mire.
(b) Shoot the unarmed convict.
(c) Leave a hurt animal behind.
(d) Reassure Sir Henry that the hound is not real.
13. In what matter is everyone in Baskerville Hall on the wrong side of the law?
(a) They allowed drugs to flow through the moor.
(b) They concealed Selden's presence on the moor from the police.
(c) They allowed Sir Charles to be murdered.
(d) They covered up the murder of Selden.
14. Why did Mrs. Lyons wish to meet with Sir Charles so secretly?
(a) She wanted to keep her friendship with Sir Charles secret from her father.
(b) She wanted to keep her relationship a secret from her estranged husband.
(c) She did not want to face Barrymore.
(d) She wanted to avoid a scandal by meeting privately with a bachelor.
15. Who is the man that was killed on the moor?
(d) Dr. Mortimer.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Sir Henry is inside Merripit House, what begins to happen that Holmes fears could disrupt their plan?
2. Why does Sir Henry decide that they must go capture Selden?
3. What was spread over the hound to give it a ghoulish look?
4. What does Watson deduce about the candle?
5. Who approaches Watson and Holmes after the discovery of the body on the moor?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)