|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what matter is everyone in Baskerville Hall on the wrong side of the law?
(a) They allowed drugs to flow through the moor.
(b) They covered up the murder of Selden.
(c) They allowed Sir Charles to be murdered.
(d) They concealed Selden's presence on the moor from the police.
2. Where does Stapleton take Sir Henry and Watson in Chapter 8?
(a) The Grimpen Mire.
(b) The place where the convict is believed to have been last seen.
(c) The area where, according to the story, Hugo Baskerville was killed.
(d) Hound's Tor.
3. According to Holmes and Watson's deductions, who must have sent the message of warning to Sir Henry in London?
(c) Dr. Mortimer.
(d) Miss Stapleton.
4. After hearing a man scream on the moor, what do Watson and Holmes hear next?
(b) A carriage rattling behind them.
(c) A woman sobbing.
(d) The baying of the hound.
5. After asking questions about Frankland's daughter, how does Watson distract Dr. Mortimer from asking any questions?
(a) Watson asks about Frankland's skull.
(b) Watson asks about the doctor's family.
(c) Watson asks to hear other local legends that could be influencing the perceived sightings of the hound.
(d) Watson asks to hear the story of the hound again.
6. On the moor, what does Watson find himself unable to do?
(a) Go further into the Grimpen Mire.
(b) Reassure Sir Henry that the hound is not real.
(c) Leave a hurt animal behind.
(d) Shoot the unarmed convict.
7. What does Frankland show Watson on his telescope?
(a) Watson sees the young boy delivering food to the man on the moor.
(b) Watson sees the man on the moor.
(c) Watson sees Sir Henry out by himself.
(d) Watson sees the hound.
8. Who is the man on the moor?
(b) Sherlock Holmes.
(c) Sir Charles.
(d) Dr. Mortimer.
9. Who approaches Watson and Holmes after the discovery of the body on the moor?
(b) Dr. Mortimer.
10. What is Frankland wishing to celebrate?
(a) He has decided to reunite with his daughter.
(b) He won a large settlement.
(c) He found the hound.
(d) He won a lawsuit.
11. To whom does this statement apply: "Evil indeed is the man who has not one woman to mourn him" ?
12. Why is the woman who wrote the letter to Sir Charles estranged from her family?
(a) She married without her father's consent.
(b) She divorced her husband.
(c) She had a child out of wedlock.
(d) She did not wish to be a traditional housewife.
13. Why did Stapleton tie up and gag his wife?
(a) She was going to try to kill Sir Henry herself.
(b) She tried to kill her husband.
(c) She was going to run away.
(d) To prevent her from warning Sir Henry.
14. Why did Mrs. Lyons wish to meet with Sir Charles so secretly?
(a) She wanted to keep her friendship with Sir Charles secret from her father.
(b) She wanted to keep her relationship a secret from her estranged husband.
(c) She wanted to avoid a scandal by meeting privately with a bachelor.
(d) She did not want to face Barrymore.
15. What does Watson witness when he follows Sir Henry?
(a) Watson sees an encounter between Sir Henry and Miss Stapleton, which is interrupted by Stapleton.
(b) Watson sees Frankland watching them on his telescope.
(c) Watson sees Sir Henry being stalked by the hound.
(d) Watson sees a pony sink into the Grimpen Mire.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Sir Henry is inside Merripit House, what begins to happen that Holmes fears could disrupt their plan?
2. What must Sir Henry do to help Holmes solve the case?
3. According to Barrymore, what is the plan for Selden?
4. How did Sir Charles hear about Mrs. Lyons's situation?
5. What captures Holmes's attention in Baskerville Hall?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)