|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Sir Henry decide that they must go capture Selden?
(a) Selden is a dangerous, violent murderer.
(b) He wants the reward money.
(c) He believes that the Stapletons are in danger from Selden.
(d) He wants to get back at the Barrymores.
2. What does Mrs. Barrymore confess?
(a) The escaped convict is her brother.
(b) They inadvertently led Sir Charles to his death.
(c) Her husband is cheating on her.
(d) She is cheating on her husband.
3. Why did Holmes lie about being in London to Watson?
(a) He did not want Watson to inadvertently reveal to the enemy that he was there.
(b) He was afraid for Watson's safety.
(c) He did not trust Watson.
(d) He knew Watson would tell Sir Henry.
4. Where is the man on the moor staying?
(a) Fox Tor.
(b) The Grimpen Mire.
(c) The stone huts on the hillside.
(d) A tin miner's hut.
5. Who approaches Watson and Holmes after the discovery of the body on the moor?
(a) Dr. Mortimer.
6. Who is the man on the moor?
(a) Sir Charles.
(c) Dr. Mortimer.
(d) Sherlock Holmes.
7. In his correspondence with Holmes, what happens the previous night that rouses Watson's suspicion?
(a) He sees Barrymore sneak to a window and light a candle.
(b) He sees Mrs. Barrymore going outside by herself.
(c) He sees Barrymore quickly packing his trunk.
(d) He sees Mrs. Barrymore burning a letter.
8. What revelation upsets Laura Lyons?
(a) Frankland is not her father.
(b) Sir Charles is still alive.
(c) Stapleton is married.
(d) Sir Henry is related to her.
9. What is the deal Stapleton strikes with Sir Henry?
(a) Henry will build a friendship with Miss Stapleton for three months, after which he will be allowed to start wooing her.
(b) Henry will allow Stapleton to inspect the grounds every night for signs of the hound.
(c) Henry will go with Stapleton on a moth-catching expedition so that he might get to know his sister's suitor better.
(d) Henry will allow Miss Stapleton to accompany him on a trip to London.
10. What does Mrs. Lyons credit to Sir Charles?
(a) Sir Charles single-handedly saved the church from going under.
(b) Sir Charles dispelled the rumors going around about her.
(c) Sir Charles helped her start her business and kept her on her feet.
(d) Sir Charles helped her procure her divorce.
11. Because of the convict and out of concern for the Stapletons, what did Sir Henry offer to them, which Stapleton turned down?
(a) The company of Perkins, Sir Henry's groom.
(b) The company of Barrymore.
(c) The company of Sir Henry.
(d) The company of Watson.
12. Who is the man that was killed on the moor?
(b) Dr. Mortimer.
13. What sort of business did the people on the moor help L.L. set up?
(a) A veterinarian clinic.
(b) A branch of a legislative firm.
(c) A dogbreeding business.
(d) A typewriting business.
14. In what matter is everyone in Baskerville Hall on the wrong side of the law?
(a) They allowed Sir Charles to be murdered.
(b) They concealed Selden's presence on the moor from the police.
(c) They covered up the murder of Selden.
(d) They allowed drugs to flow through the moor.
15. What does Stapleton do when he visits Baskerville Hall after Watson has followed Sir Henry?
(a) Stapleton attempts to pay Sir Henry to leave for London.
(b) Stapleton tries to hire the Barrymores away from Sir Henry.
(c) Stapleton apologizes for his rudeness to Sir Henry in regards to his sister.
(d) Stapleton strikes Sir Henry for talking to his sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was spread over the hound to give it a ghoulish look?
2. How did Sir Charles hear about Mrs. Lyons's situation?
3. Why is Barrymore angry after Sir Henry and Watson learn the truth of his strange behavior?
4. While searching for Selden on the moor, what frightens both Sir Henry and Watson?
5. How is Chapter 8 narrated?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)