|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the letter to Holmes, what is the status on the escaped convict?
(a) The convict has likely escaped the area.
(b) The convict will likely turn himself in to escape the inhospitable moor.
(c) The convict has probably died out on the moors.
(d) The convict will likely be caught soon.
2. While searching for Selden on the moor, what frightens both Sir Henry and Watson?
(a) They hear a hound howling on the moor.
(b) They find a dead body.
(c) They see a man sink into the Grimpen Mire.
(d) They hear someone screaming for help.
3. What does Watson deduce about the candle?
(a) He realizes that Barrymore is merely trying to write in secret at night.
(b) He realizes it is a signal.
(c) He realizes that Barrymore is plotting to burn down Baskerville Hall.
(d) He realizes that Barrymore is using it to burn letters.
4. By mid-October, what lady is beginning to preoccupy Sir Henry's thoughts, according to Watson?
(a) Laura Lyons.
(b) Miss Stapleton.
(c) A yeoman's daughter.
(d) Mrs. Barrymore.
5. While returning to Baskerville Hall after trying to find Selden, what does Watson observe on one of the tors?
(a) He sees Stapleton on the hunt for more insect specimens.
(b) He sees a hound baying at the moon.
(c) He sees a tall, thin man looking out on the moor.
(d) He sees Barrymore running after the convict.
6. When Holmes has Watson focus solely on the face in the portrait, what does Watson see?
(a) Barrymore looks exactly like Hugo.
(b) Frankland looks exactly like Hugo.
(c) Stapleton looks exactly like Hugo.
(d) Sir Charles and Hugo look identical.
7. Why is Watson glad to see Holmes after going to the stone hut?
(a) He believes he is being followed.
(b) He is scared to walk back to Baskerville Hall alone.
(c) He was worried for Holmes's safety.
(d) The case is beginning to overwhelm Watson.
8. What has excited Dr. Mortimer?
(a) He found a prehistoric skull on an excavation.
(b) He found evidence of the hound.
(c) He found where the convict is hiding.
(d) He found gold in the soil.
9. To whom does this statement apply: "Evil indeed is the man who has not one woman to mourn him" ?
10. After learning that Mrs. Barrymore answered the telegram for her husband, what does Watson observe about the lady?
(a) She appears to be in a deep sorrow of mysterious origin.
(b) She appears to not have a care in the world.
(c) She appears to be very ill.
(d) She appears to be very frightened at the story of the hound.
11. In what matter is everyone in Baskerville Hall on the wrong side of the law?
(a) They concealed Selden's presence on the moor from the police.
(b) They allowed drugs to flow through the moor.
(c) They allowed Sir Charles to be murdered.
(d) They covered up the murder of Selden.
12. What do the men deduce happened to Stapleton?
(a) He drowned in the Grimpen Mire.
(b) He escaped.
(c) He was killed by the hound.
(d) He fell from a cliff.
13. What is Sir Henry to do while at dinner with the Stapletons?
(a) He is to tell Mrs. Stapleton of Mrs. Lyons.
(b) He is to tell them that Sherlock Holmes died on the moors.
(c) He is to ask Mrs. Stapleton to marry him.
(d) He is to tell them that he is walking home alone.
14. Where does Stapleton take Sir Henry and Watson in Chapter 8?
(a) The area where, according to the story, Hugo Baskerville was killed.
(b) The Grimpen Mire.
(c) Hound's Tor.
(d) The place where the convict is believed to have been last seen.
15. Why is Barrymore angry after Sir Henry and Watson learn the truth of his strange behavior?
(a) He does not believe Watson and Sir Henry should have hunted after Selden.
(b) He believes they were rude to his wife.
(c) Sir Henry refuses to allow the Barrymores to leave for London.
(d) No one believes him when he tells them of the hound.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the hound die?
2. After asking questions about Frankland's daughter, how does Watson distract Dr. Mortimer from asking any questions?
3. After leaving Frankland's manor, where does Watson go?
4. According to Barrymore, what is the plan for Selden?
5. What does Mrs. Barrymore confess?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)