|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the man that was killed on the moor?
(c) Dr. Mortimer.
2. What captures Holmes's attention in Baskerville Hall?
(a) Sir Henry's cast-off clothing.
(b) The portrait of Hugo.
(c) The portrait of Sir Charles.
(d) Sir Henry's liquor cabinet.
3. Because of the convict and out of concern for the Stapletons, what did Sir Henry offer to them, which Stapleton turned down?
(a) The company of Watson.
(b) The company of Perkins, Sir Henry's groom.
(c) The company of Barrymore.
(d) The company of Sir Henry.
4. What false theory does Watson give Stapleton about how the man died?
(a) Watson says the man likely fell days earlier and died from exposure.
(b) Watson says that the man probably snapped from anxiety and exposure to the elements and ran off the cliff.
(c) Watson says the man intentionally jumped in the Grimpen Mire.
(d) Watson says that the man shot himself.
5. Why did Holmes lie about being in London to Watson?
(a) He did not want Watson to inadvertently reveal to the enemy that he was there.
(b) He knew Watson would tell Sir Henry.
(c) He did not trust Watson.
(d) He was afraid for Watson's safety.
6. What does Stapleton do when he visits Baskerville Hall after Watson has followed Sir Henry?
(a) Stapleton attempts to pay Sir Henry to leave for London.
(b) Stapleton apologizes for his rudeness to Sir Henry in regards to his sister.
(c) Stapleton tries to hire the Barrymores away from Sir Henry.
(d) Stapleton strikes Sir Henry for talking to his sister.
7. What possible motive for Barrymore's strange behavior does Watson surmise?
(a) Watson wonders if Barrymore is trying to distract him.
(b) Watson wonders if Barrymore is trying to find the hound himself.
(c) Watson wonders if Barrymore is cheating on his wife.
(d) Watson wonders if Barrymore is attempting to rob Sir Henry.
8. Watson tells Sir Henry that the postmaster claims that the telegram was actually delivered to Mrs. Barrymore, and Barrymore himself was nowhere in sight. When Sir Henry questions his servant, what does Barrymore reveal to Sir Henry?
(a) Barrymore admits that he has been walking the halls at night.
(b) Barrymore admits that he was the man in London.
(c) Barrymore admits that his wife answered the telegram in his stead.
(d) Barrymore admits that he sent Sir Henry the warning letter.
9. Why does Sir Henry decide that they must go capture Selden?
(a) He believes that the Stapletons are in danger from Selden.
(b) Selden is a dangerous, violent murderer.
(c) He wants to get back at the Barrymores.
(d) He wants the reward money.
10. What must Sir Henry do to help Holmes solve the case?
(a) Sir Henry must call to the hound.
(b) Sir Henry must learn the lay of the land between his house and Stapleton's house.
(c) Sir Henry must blindly do whatever Holmes tells him.
(d) Sir Henry must fake his own death.
11. Who is bringing Holmes supplies at the hut?
(b) Sir Henry.
12. According to Holmes and Watson's deductions, who must have sent the message of warning to Sir Henry in London?
(c) Miss Stapleton.
(d) Dr. Mortimer.
13. What sort of business did the people on the moor help L.L. set up?
(a) A dogbreeding business.
(b) A branch of a legislative firm.
(c) A veterinarian clinic.
(d) A typewriting business.
14. What does Mrs. Barrymore confess?
(a) The escaped convict is her brother.
(b) Her husband is cheating on her.
(c) She is cheating on her husband.
(d) They inadvertently led Sir Charles to his death.
15. Where is the man on the moor staying?
(a) The Grimpen Mire.
(b) Fox Tor.
(c) The stone huts on the hillside.
(d) A tin miner's hut.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was spread over the hound to give it a ghoulish look?
2. What instructions does Holmes give Cartwright?
3. Why is Watson feeling coldly towards Frankland?
4. On the moor, what does Watson find himself unable to do?
5. After Watson tells Holmes about his conversation with Laura Lyons, what does Holmes reveal to his partner about Miss Stapleton?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)