|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What captures Holmes's attention in Baskerville Hall?
(a) Sir Henry's cast-off clothing.
(b) The portrait of Sir Charles.
(c) Sir Henry's liquor cabinet.
(d) The portrait of Hugo.
2. What does Sir Henry do when Barrymore refuses to answer his questions?
(a) He strikes Barrymore.
(b) He threatens to tell everyone Barrymore is the murderer.
(c) He fires Barrymore.
(d) He cuts Barrymore's pay.
3. According to Barrymore, what is the plan for Selden?
(a) Selden will live alone on the moor.
(b) Selden will assume a new identity in Wales.
(c) Selden will leave in a few days for South America.
(d) Selden will leave for France in a week.
4. What does Watson believe is the identity of the man on the moor?
(a) The convict.
(b) Barrymore sneaking out to see his brother-in-law.
(c) The man who followed Sir Henry in London.
(d) Stapleton on the hunt for moths.
5. What is Mr. Frankland's favorite pastime?
(c) Charity work.
6. Why is Watson glad to see Holmes after going to the stone hut?
(a) He is scared to walk back to Baskerville Hall alone.
(b) The case is beginning to overwhelm Watson.
(c) He was worried for Holmes's safety.
(d) He believes he is being followed.
7. What is Frankland wishing to celebrate?
(a) He has decided to reunite with his daughter.
(b) He found the hound.
(c) He won a lawsuit.
(d) He won a large settlement.
8. What had Stapleton falsely promised Mrs. Lyons?
(a) He promised to help her pursue a suit with Sir Henry.
(b) He promised to marry her after she was granted a divorce.
(c) He promised to give her Baskerville Hall.
(d) He promised to help her leave the country.
9. In his gratitude for Sir Henry's decision about Selden, what does Barrymore reveal to Sir Henry and Watson?
(a) Sir Charles knew he was going to die.
(b) Sir Charles was protecting Mrs. Barrymore.
(c) Sir Charles was hoping to confront the hound head-on.
(d) Sir Charles was at the gate to meet a woman.
10. Who arrives from London to help Holmes?
(b) Stapleton's brother.
(c) Sir Charles.
11. According to Holmes and Watson's deductions, who must have sent the message of warning to Sir Henry in London?
(b) Miss Stapleton.
(d) Dr. Mortimer.
12. What revelation upsets Laura Lyons?
(a) Sir Charles is still alive.
(b) Frankland is not her father.
(c) Sir Henry is related to her.
(d) Stapleton is married.
13. Why is Watson upset at Holmes's deception?
(a) Watson believes Holmes was in grave danger.
(b) Watson believes Sir Henry was put at a higher risk by Holmes's deception.
(c) Watson believes his careful reports to Holmes have been a waste of time.
(d) Watson believes that Holmes's deception allowed the villain to get away.
14. What does Holmes's discovery of the portrait reveal?
(a) Stapleton is a Baskerville.
(b) Sir Charles is still alive.
(c) Sir Henry is not a Baskerville.
(d) Hugo never existed.
15. How is Chapter 8 narrated?
(a) The narration is in the form of letters from Watson to Holmes.
(b) The narration is in the form of newspaper articles.
(c) The narration is in the form of letters between Watson and Dr. Mortimer.
(d) The narration is in the form of Watson's journal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Watson feeling coldly towards Frankland?
2. What does Barrymore tell Watson about the mysterious man on the moor?
3. What does Watson find in the stone hut that pertains to him?
4. What is Sir Henry to do while at dinner with the Stapletons?
5. To what does Stapleton seem opposed?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)