|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was spread over the hound to give it a ghoulish look?
(d) Swamp water.
2. While searching for Selden on the moor, what frightens both Sir Henry and Watson?
(a) They hear a hound howling on the moor.
(b) They find a dead body.
(c) They hear someone screaming for help.
(d) They see a man sink into the Grimpen Mire.
3. Who is the man that was killed on the moor?
(d) Dr. Mortimer.
4. What does Barrymore tell Watson about the mysterious man on the moor?
(a) Selden had informed his brother-in-law that the man has a young boy bringing him what he needs.
(b) Selden reports that the man is a foreigner.
(c) Selden believes he is an appartion.
(d) Selden sees a young woman frequently going to vsiti the man with supplies.
5. When Holmes has Watson focus solely on the face in the portrait, what does Watson see?
(a) Sir Charles and Hugo look identical.
(b) Frankland looks exactly like Hugo.
(c) Barrymore looks exactly like Hugo.
(d) Stapleton looks exactly like Hugo.
6. What does Holmes's discovery of the portrait reveal?
(a) Hugo never existed.
(b) Sir Henry is not a Baskerville.
(c) Stapleton is a Baskerville.
(d) Sir Charles is still alive.
7. After asking questions about Frankland's daughter, how does Watson distract Dr. Mortimer from asking any questions?
(a) Watson asks to hear other local legends that could be influencing the perceived sightings of the hound.
(b) Watson asks about the doctor's family.
(c) Watson asks about Frankland's skull.
(d) Watson asks to hear the story of the hound again.
8. What sort of business did the people on the moor help L.L. set up?
(a) A branch of a legislative firm.
(b) A typewriting business.
(c) A dogbreeding business.
(d) A veterinarian clinic.
9. To whom does this statement apply: "Evil indeed is the man who has not one woman to mourn him" ?
10. How did Barrymore make the discovery of why Sir Charles went to the gate the night he died?
(a) Mrs. Barrymore made plans to help Sir Charles to the gate.
(b) Mrs. Barrymore found the charred remains of a letter.
(c) Barrymore overheard a conversation with Sir Charles.
(d) Barrymore followed Sir Charles to the gate.
11. What has excited Dr. Mortimer?
(a) He found gold in the soil.
(b) He found where the convict is hiding.
(c) He found evidence of the hound.
(d) He found a prehistoric skull on an excavation.
12. Why is the woman who wrote the letter to Sir Charles estranged from her family?
(a) She divorced her husband.
(b) She had a child out of wedlock.
(c) She married without her father's consent.
(d) She did not wish to be a traditional housewife.
13. What does Watson witness when he follows Sir Henry?
(a) Watson sees Frankland watching them on his telescope.
(b) Watson sees a pony sink into the Grimpen Mire.
(c) Watson sees Sir Henry being stalked by the hound.
(d) Watson sees an encounter between Sir Henry and Miss Stapleton, which is interrupted by Stapleton.
14. What do the men deduce happened to Stapleton?
(a) He drowned in the Grimpen Mire.
(b) He escaped.
(c) He fell from a cliff.
(d) He was killed by the hound.
15. Watson tells Sir Henry that the postmaster claims that the telegram was actually delivered to Mrs. Barrymore, and Barrymore himself was nowhere in sight. When Sir Henry questions his servant, what does Barrymore reveal to Sir Henry?
(a) Barrymore admits that he sent Sir Henry the warning letter.
(b) Barrymore admits that he was the man in London.
(c) Barrymore admits that his wife answered the telegram in his stead.
(d) Barrymore admits that he has been walking the halls at night.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the hound die?
2. How did the man found on the moor die?
3. What sort of dog is the hound?
4. What instructions does Holmes give Cartwright?
5. After Watson tells Holmes about his conversation with Laura Lyons, what does Holmes reveal to his partner about Miss Stapleton?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)