|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Watson upset at Holmes's deception?
(a) Watson believes his careful reports to Holmes have been a waste of time.
(b) Watson believes Holmes was in grave danger.
(c) Watson believes that Holmes's deception allowed the villain to get away.
(d) Watson believes Sir Henry was put at a higher risk by Holmes's deception.
2. After asking questions about Frankland's daughter, how does Watson distract Dr. Mortimer from asking any questions?
(a) Watson asks about Frankland's skull.
(b) Watson asks to hear the story of the hound again.
(c) Watson asks about the doctor's family.
(d) Watson asks to hear other local legends that could be influencing the perceived sightings of the hound.
3. What does Stapleton do when he visits Baskerville Hall after Watson has followed Sir Henry?
(a) Stapleton strikes Sir Henry for talking to his sister.
(b) Stapleton attempts to pay Sir Henry to leave for London.
(c) Stapleton tries to hire the Barrymores away from Sir Henry.
(d) Stapleton apologizes for his rudeness to Sir Henry in regards to his sister.
4. What captures Holmes's attention in Baskerville Hall?
(a) Sir Henry's cast-off clothing.
(b) Sir Henry's liquor cabinet.
(c) The portrait of Sir Charles.
(d) The portrait of Hugo.
5. According to the letter to Holmes, what is the status on the escaped convict?
(a) The convict will likely be caught soon.
(b) The convict has likely escaped the area.
(c) The convict has probably died out on the moors.
(d) The convict will likely turn himself in to escape the inhospitable moor.
6. What does Mrs. Lyons credit to Sir Charles?
(a) Sir Charles single-handedly saved the church from going under.
(b) Sir Charles helped her procure her divorce.
(c) Sir Charles dispelled the rumors going around about her.
(d) Sir Charles helped her start her business and kept her on her feet.
7. To whom does this statement apply: "Evil indeed is the man who has not one woman to mourn him" ?
8. Why did Stapleton tie up and gag his wife?
(a) She was going to try to kill Sir Henry herself.
(b) She tried to kill her husband.
(c) She was going to run away.
(d) To prevent her from warning Sir Henry.
9. Who arrives from London to help Holmes?
(a) Stapleton's brother.
(d) Sir Charles.
10. According to Watson, what is one of Holmes's faults?
(a) Holmes never tells anyone his plans.
(b) Holmes is too vain.
(c) Holmes underestimates everyone around him.
(d) Holmes can be lazy.
11. What sort of dog is the hound?
(a) Part mastiff and bloodhound.
(b) English sheepdog.
(c) Pure great dane.
(d) Part great dane and part greyhound.
12. What has excited Dr. Mortimer?
(a) He found evidence of the hound.
(b) He found gold in the soil.
(c) He found a prehistoric skull on an excavation.
(d) He found where the convict is hiding.
13. How is Chapter 8 narrated?
(a) The narration is in the form of letters between Watson and Dr. Mortimer.
(b) The narration is in the form of letters from Watson to Holmes.
(c) The narration is in the form of Watson's journal.
(d) The narration is in the form of newspaper articles.
14. How did Sir Charles hear about Mrs. Lyons's situation?
(a) Frankland told him.
(b) Dr. Mortimer told him.
(c) Stapleton told him.
(d) Barrymore told him.
15. What possible motive for Barrymore's strange behavior does Watson surmise?
(a) Watson wonders if Barrymore is attempting to rob Sir Henry.
(b) Watson wonders if Barrymore is trying to find the hound himself.
(c) Watson wonders if Barrymore is trying to distract him.
(d) Watson wonders if Barrymore is cheating on his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. After hearing a man scream on the moor, what do Watson and Holmes hear next?
2. What does Sir Henry do when Barrymore refuses to answer his questions?
3. How did Holmes know it was Watson in his hut?
4. What is Frankland wishing to celebrate?
5. What assures Watson that the hound is mortal?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)