|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While searching for Selden on the moor, what frightens both Sir Henry and Watson?
(a) They see a man sink into the Grimpen Mire.
(b) They find a dead body.
(c) They hear a hound howling on the moor.
(d) They hear someone screaming for help.
2. While returning to Baskerville Hall after trying to find Selden, what does Watson observe on one of the tors?
(a) He sees Stapleton on the hunt for more insect specimens.
(b) He sees Barrymore running after the convict.
(c) He sees a tall, thin man looking out on the moor.
(d) He sees a hound baying at the moon.
3. What does Frankland show Watson on his telescope?
(a) Watson sees the hound.
(b) Watson sees the young boy delivering food to the man on the moor.
(c) Watson sees Sir Henry out by himself.
(d) Watson sees the man on the moor.
4. To whom does this statement apply: "Evil indeed is the man who has not one woman to mourn him" ?
5. Why did Holmes lie about being in London to Watson?
(a) He was afraid for Watson's safety.
(b) He did not want Watson to inadvertently reveal to the enemy that he was there.
(c) He did not trust Watson.
(d) He knew Watson would tell Sir Henry.
6. What assures Watson that the hound is mortal?
(a) He hears it breathing.
(b) Holmes was able to wound it.
(c) Lestrade is able to call to it.
(d) He sees it make impressions in the earth.
7. What has excited Dr. Mortimer?
(a) He found where the convict is hiding.
(b) He found evidence of the hound.
(c) He found gold in the soil.
(d) He found a prehistoric skull on an excavation.
8. According to Mrs. Lyons, what did she do the night she was to meet with Sir Charles?
(a) She was detained by a private matter, but sent a telegram to Sir Charles to not meet her.
(b) She was detained by a private matter and did not make the meeting.
(c) She met with Sir Charles and saw the hound.
(d) She met with Sir Charles, but nothing happened.
9. How did Stapleton convince Mrs. Lyons to not meet with Sir Charles the night he died?
(a) Stapleton tells her that Sir Charles is too ill to meet with her.
(b) Stapleton says that he fears it is too dangerous for her to go alone.
(c) Stapleton said he was too proud to allow another man to help her.
(d) Stapleton convinces her that Sir Charles does not wish to see her.
10. What do Sir Henry and Watson do to entrap Barrymore?
(a) They ask Mrs. Barrymore what her husband's habits are at night.
(b) They stay up all night until they hear him come to the window with a candle.
(c) They trick Barrymore into coming outside with them at night.
(d) They have Dr. Mortimer follow Barrymore around for a day.
11. According to Holmes and Watson's deductions, who must have sent the message of warning to Sir Henry in London?
(b) Miss Stapleton.
(d) Dr. Mortimer.
12. By mid-October, what lady is beginning to preoccupy Sir Henry's thoughts, according to Watson?
(a) Mrs. Barrymore.
(b) A yeoman's daughter.
(c) Miss Stapleton.
(d) Laura Lyons.
13. What does Mrs. Barrymore confess?
(a) She is cheating on her husband.
(b) The escaped convict is her brother.
(c) They inadvertently led Sir Charles to his death.
(d) Her husband is cheating on her.
14. Why did Stapleton tie up and gag his wife?
(a) She was going to run away.
(b) She tried to kill her husband.
(c) To prevent her from warning Sir Henry.
(d) She was going to try to kill Sir Henry herself.
15. What is Mr. Frankland's favorite pastime?
(a) Charity work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sir Henry to do while at dinner with the Stapletons?
2. What is the deal Stapleton strikes with Sir Henry?
3. What does Sir Henry do when Barrymore refuses to answer his questions?
4. What does Barrymore tell Watson about the mysterious man on the moor?
5. Where is the man on the moor staying?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)