Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Holmes lie about being in London to Watson?
(a) He did not want Watson to inadvertently reveal to the enemy that he was there.
(b) He was afraid for Watson's safety.
(c) He did not trust Watson.
(d) He knew Watson would tell Sir Henry.
2. Because of the convict and out of concern for the Stapletons, what did Sir Henry offer to them, which Stapleton turned down?
(a) The company of Perkins, Sir Henry's groom.
(b) The company of Sir Henry.
(c) The company of Watson.
(d) The company of Barrymore.
3. After leaving Frankland's manor, where does Watson go?
(a) He goes to the Fox Tor to search for Sir Henry.
(b) He goes to the spot where he saw the boy.
(c) He goes to the Grimpen Mire.
(d) He goes back to Baskerville Hall.
4. How is Chapter 8 narrated?
(a) The narration is in the form of letters between Watson and Dr. Mortimer.
(b) The narration is in the form of newspaper articles.
(c) The narration is in the form of Watson's journal.
(d) The narration is in the form of letters from Watson to Holmes.
5. What happens when Sir Henry begins his walk home?
(a) Mrs. Stapleton cries out.
(b) The hound appears.
(c) It begins to storm.
(d) Gunshots are heard.
6. Where do Holmes, Watson, and Lestrade situate themselves?
(a) Outside of Baskerville Hall.
(b) Near Lew Trenchard.
(c) Near Stapleton's house.
(d) By the Grimpen Mire.
7. Why is Watson feeling coldly towards Frankland?
(a) He believes Frankland is the one stirring up rumors of the hound.
(b) He disapproves of Frankland's abandonment of his daughter.
(c) He believes Frankland had a hand in Sir Charles's death.
(d) He believes Frankland abused his daughter.
8. While searching for Selden on the moor, what frightens both Sir Henry and Watson?
(a) They hear a hound howling on the moor.
(b) They find a dead body.
(c) They see a man sink into the Grimpen Mire.
(d) They hear someone screaming for help.
9. Why is Watson glad to see Holmes after going to the stone hut?
(a) He believes he is being followed.
(b) He was worried for Holmes's safety.
(c) The case is beginning to overwhelm Watson.
(d) He is scared to walk back to Baskerville Hall alone.
10. Why did Mrs. Lyons wish to meet with Sir Charles on the night of his death?
(a) She needed his help and he was going to be away to London for a long time.
(b) She was hoping that he would give his blessing to her divorce.
(c) She was hoping that he would propose to her.
(d) She wished to warn him.
11. According to Mrs. Lyons, what did she do the night she was to meet with Sir Charles?
(a) She met with Sir Charles, but nothing happened.
(b) She was detained by a private matter, but sent a telegram to Sir Charles to not meet her.
(c) She was detained by a private matter and did not make the meeting.
(d) She met with Sir Charles and saw the hound.
12. In his correspondence with Holmes, what happens the previous night that rouses Watson's suspicion?
(a) He sees Mrs. Barrymore burning a letter.
(b) He sees Mrs. Barrymore going outside by herself.
(c) He sees Barrymore quickly packing his trunk.
(d) He sees Barrymore sneak to a window and light a candle.
13. What does Sir Henry do when Barrymore refuses to answer his questions?
(a) He cuts Barrymore's pay.
(b) He threatens to tell everyone Barrymore is the murderer.
(c) He fires Barrymore.
(d) He strikes Barrymore.
14. What does Barrymore tell Watson about the mysterious man on the moor?
(a) Selden reports that the man is a foreigner.
(b) Selden believes he is an appartion.
(c) Selden had informed his brother-in-law that the man has a young boy bringing him what he needs.
(d) Selden sees a young woman frequently going to vsiti the man with supplies.
15. Watson tells Sir Henry that the postmaster claims that the telegram was actually delivered to Mrs. Barrymore, and Barrymore himself was nowhere in sight. When Sir Henry questions his servant, what does Barrymore reveal to Sir Henry?
(a) Barrymore admits that he has been walking the halls at night.
(b) Barrymore admits that he sent Sir Henry the warning letter.
(c) Barrymore admits that his wife answered the telegram in his stead.
(d) Barrymore admits that he was the man in London.
Short Answer Questions
1. What state is Sir Henry left in after the attack and the truth about the Stapletons is revealed?
2. Where is the man on the moor staying?
3. According to the letter to Holmes, what is the status on the escaped convict?
4. What sort of dog is the hound?
5. What does Watson deduce about the candle?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)