|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stapleton do when he visits Baskerville Hall after Watson has followed Sir Henry?
(a) Stapleton tries to hire the Barrymores away from Sir Henry.
(b) Stapleton strikes Sir Henry for talking to his sister.
(c) Stapleton attempts to pay Sir Henry to leave for London.
(d) Stapleton apologizes for his rudeness to Sir Henry in regards to his sister.
2. On the moor, what does Watson find himself unable to do?
(a) Leave a hurt animal behind.
(b) Shoot the unarmed convict.
(c) Go further into the Grimpen Mire.
(d) Reassure Sir Henry that the hound is not real.
3. Who arrives from London to help Holmes?
(a) Stapleton's brother.
(b) Sir Charles.
4. What revelation upsets Laura Lyons?
(a) Sir Henry is related to her.
(b) Frankland is not her father.
(c) Stapleton is married.
(d) Sir Charles is still alive.
5. While returning to Baskerville Hall after trying to find Selden, what does Watson observe on one of the tors?
(a) He sees Barrymore running after the convict.
(b) He sees Stapleton on the hunt for more insect specimens.
(c) He sees a tall, thin man looking out on the moor.
(d) He sees a hound baying at the moon.
6. What does Frankland show Watson on his telescope?
(a) Watson sees the man on the moor.
(b) Watson sees Sir Henry out by himself.
(c) Watson sees the hound.
(d) Watson sees the young boy delivering food to the man on the moor.
7. What does Holmes's discovery of the portrait reveal?
(a) Stapleton is a Baskerville.
(b) Sir Charles is still alive.
(c) Hugo never existed.
(d) Sir Henry is not a Baskerville.
8. What do Sir Henry and Watson do to entrap Barrymore?
(a) They trick Barrymore into coming outside with them at night.
(b) They ask Mrs. Barrymore what her husband's habits are at night.
(c) They have Dr. Mortimer follow Barrymore around for a day.
(d) They stay up all night until they hear him come to the window with a candle.
9. What has excited Dr. Mortimer?
(a) He found where the convict is hiding.
(b) He found a prehistoric skull on an excavation.
(c) He found gold in the soil.
(d) He found evidence of the hound.
10. Why did Mrs. Lyons wish to meet with Sir Charles on the night of his death?
(a) She needed his help and he was going to be away to London for a long time.
(b) She wished to warn him.
(c) She was hoping that he would give his blessing to her divorce.
(d) She was hoping that he would propose to her.
11. By mid-October, what lady is beginning to preoccupy Sir Henry's thoughts, according to Watson?
(a) Mrs. Barrymore.
(b) Laura Lyons.
(c) Miss Stapleton.
(d) A yeoman's daughter.
12. Where does Stapleton take Sir Henry and Watson in Chapter 8?
(a) The place where the convict is believed to have been last seen.
(b) The Grimpen Mire.
(c) The area where, according to the story, Hugo Baskerville was killed.
(d) Hound's Tor.
13. What manner of narration is used in Chapter 10?
(a) Dr. Mortimer's journal entries.
(b) Letters to Dr. Mortimer.
(c) Letters to Holmes.
(d) Dr. Watson's journal entries.
14. What instructions does Holmes give Cartwright?
(a) Cartwright is to tail Sir Henry.
(b) Cartwright is to go to London and send a telegram to Sir Henry in Holmes's name.
(c) Cartwright is to send for Lestrade.
(d) Cartwright is to take Mrs. Stapleton to safety.
15. What had Stapleton falsely promised Mrs. Lyons?
(a) He promised to help her pursue a suit with Sir Henry.
(b) He promised to help her leave the country.
(c) He promised to give her Baskerville Hall.
(d) He promised to marry her after she was granted a divorce.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the hound die?
2. What sort of dog is the hound?
3. In his correspondence with Holmes, what happens the previous night that rouses Watson's suspicion?
4. What does Sir Henry do when Barrymore refuses to answer his questions?
5. How is Chapter 8 narrated?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)