|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What possible motive for Barrymore's strange behavior does Watson surmise?
(a) Watson wonders if Barrymore is cheating on his wife.
(b) Watson wonders if Barrymore is trying to find the hound himself.
(c) Watson wonders if Barrymore is attempting to rob Sir Henry.
(d) Watson wonders if Barrymore is trying to distract him.
2. According to the letter to Holmes, what is the status on the escaped convict?
(a) The convict will likely be caught soon.
(b) The convict will likely turn himself in to escape the inhospitable moor.
(c) The convict has probably died out on the moors.
(d) The convict has likely escaped the area.
3. When Holmes has Watson focus solely on the face in the portrait, what does Watson see?
(a) Barrymore looks exactly like Hugo.
(b) Frankland looks exactly like Hugo.
(c) Sir Charles and Hugo look identical.
(d) Stapleton looks exactly like Hugo.
4. What state is Sir Henry left in after the attack and the truth about the Stapletons is revealed?
(a) Sir Henry becomes deliriously ill from strain.
(b) Sir Henry is immensely relieved to be rid of them.
(c) Sir Henry is in a vegetative state of shock.
(d) Sir Henry becomes murderously angry.
5. Why did Stapleton tie up and gag his wife?
(a) She was going to try to kill Sir Henry herself.
(b) She was going to run away.
(c) To prevent her from warning Sir Henry.
(d) She tried to kill her husband.
6. After hearing a man scream on the moor, what do Watson and Holmes hear next?
(a) A woman sobbing.
(b) The baying of the hound.
(d) A carriage rattling behind them.
7. What does Watson witness when he follows Sir Henry?
(a) Watson sees Sir Henry being stalked by the hound.
(b) Watson sees Frankland watching them on his telescope.
(c) Watson sees a pony sink into the Grimpen Mire.
(d) Watson sees an encounter between Sir Henry and Miss Stapleton, which is interrupted by Stapleton.
8. Why is Watson glad to see Holmes after going to the stone hut?
(a) He believes he is being followed.
(b) He was worried for Holmes's safety.
(c) The case is beginning to overwhelm Watson.
(d) He is scared to walk back to Baskerville Hall alone.
9. What is Mr. Frankland's favorite pastime?
(d) Charity work.
10. On the moor, what does Watson find himself unable to do?
(a) Shoot the unarmed convict.
(b) Go further into the Grimpen Mire.
(c) Leave a hurt animal behind.
(d) Reassure Sir Henry that the hound is not real.
11. Why did Mrs. Lyons wish to meet with Sir Charles on the night of his death?
(a) She was hoping that he would propose to her.
(b) She needed his help and he was going to be away to London for a long time.
(c) She was hoping that he would give his blessing to her divorce.
(d) She wished to warn him.
12. What is Frankland wishing to celebrate?
(a) He won a large settlement.
(b) He has decided to reunite with his daughter.
(c) He found the hound.
(d) He won a lawsuit.
13. To whom does this statement apply: "Evil indeed is the man who has not one woman to mourn him" ?
14. What does Watson believe is the identity of the man on the moor?
(a) Stapleton on the hunt for moths.
(b) Barrymore sneaking out to see his brother-in-law.
(c) The man who followed Sir Henry in London.
(d) The convict.
15. Why is Watson feeling coldly towards Frankland?
(a) He believes Frankland abused his daughter.
(b) He disapproves of Frankland's abandonment of his daughter.
(c) He believes Frankland had a hand in Sir Charles's death.
(d) He believes Frankland is the one stirring up rumors of the hound.
Short Answer Questions
1. While searching for Selden on the moor, what frightens both Sir Henry and Watson?
2. What captures Holmes's attention in Baskerville Hall?
3. In his gratitude for Sir Henry's decision about Selden, what does Barrymore reveal to Sir Henry and Watson?
4. What had Stapleton falsely promised Mrs. Lyons?
5. How does Mr. Frankland spend his time when at home?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)