|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Holmes's discovery of the portrait reveal?
(a) Sir Charles is still alive.
(b) Hugo never existed.
(c) Sir Henry is not a Baskerville.
(d) Stapleton is a Baskerville.
2. Who arrives from London to help Holmes?
(b) Stapleton's brother.
(c) Sir Charles.
3. According to Barrymore, what is the plan for Selden?
(a) Selden will leave in a few days for South America.
(b) Selden will leave for France in a week.
(c) Selden will live alone on the moor.
(d) Selden will assume a new identity in Wales.
4. While returning to Baskerville Hall after trying to find Selden, what does Watson observe on one of the tors?
(a) He sees a hound baying at the moon.
(b) He sees Barrymore running after the convict.
(c) He sees a tall, thin man looking out on the moor.
(d) He sees Stapleton on the hunt for more insect specimens.
5. What has excited Dr. Mortimer?
(a) He found evidence of the hound.
(b) He found where the convict is hiding.
(c) He found a prehistoric skull on an excavation.
(d) He found gold in the soil.
6. Who is the man that was killed on the moor?
(a) Dr. Mortimer.
7. What happens when Sir Henry begins his walk home?
(a) Mrs. Stapleton cries out.
(b) It begins to storm.
(c) Gunshots are heard.
(d) The hound appears.
8. In his correspondence with Holmes, what happens the previous night that rouses Watson's suspicion?
(a) He sees Mrs. Barrymore burning a letter.
(b) He sees Mrs. Barrymore going outside by herself.
(c) He sees Barrymore quickly packing his trunk.
(d) He sees Barrymore sneak to a window and light a candle.
9. What does Mrs. Barrymore confess?
(a) They inadvertently led Sir Charles to his death.
(b) The escaped convict is her brother.
(c) Her husband is cheating on her.
(d) She is cheating on her husband.
10. What is Sir Henry to do while at dinner with the Stapletons?
(a) He is to tell them that he is walking home alone.
(b) He is to tell them that Sherlock Holmes died on the moors.
(c) He is to tell Mrs. Stapleton of Mrs. Lyons.
(d) He is to ask Mrs. Stapleton to marry him.
11. Why is Watson upset at Holmes's deception?
(a) Watson believes that Holmes's deception allowed the villain to get away.
(b) Watson believes Holmes was in grave danger.
(c) Watson believes his careful reports to Holmes have been a waste of time.
(d) Watson believes Sir Henry was put at a higher risk by Holmes's deception.
12. What does Watson keep hearing from the moor?
(a) A woman sobbing.
(b) A train.
(c) A man screaming.
(d) The baying of a hound.
13. How does Mr. Frankland spend his time when at home?
(a) He spends time restoring his home.
(b) He is writing a history of Devonshire.
(c) He spends time with his daughter, who is a painter.
(d) He uses his telescope to look at the moor, ostensibly for the convict.
14. While Sir Henry is inside Merripit House, what begins to happen that Holmes fears could disrupt their plan?
(a) The fog rolls in.
(b) A windstorm brews.
(c) It begins to rain.
(d) Lestrade begins to feel ill.
15. What does Barrymore tell Watson about the mysterious man on the moor?
(a) Selden had informed his brother-in-law that the man has a young boy bringing him what he needs.
(b) Selden reports that the man is a foreigner.
(c) Selden sees a young woman frequently going to vsiti the man with supplies.
(d) Selden believes he is an appartion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was spread over the hound to give it a ghoulish look?
2. After Watson tells Holmes about his conversation with Laura Lyons, what does Holmes reveal to his partner about Miss Stapleton?
3. How is Chapter 8 narrated?
4. While searching for Selden on the moor, what frightens both Sir Henry and Watson?
5. How did the man found on the moor die?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)