|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Sir Henry's opinion of Baskerville Hall?
(a) He finds it to be stifling.
(b) He finds it gloomy.
(c) He finds it to be too big.
(d) He finds it cheerful.
2. What excites Sir Henry on the journey where he cries out in delight?
(a) He sees a herd of wild ponies running over the moor.
(b) He sees the moor people welcoming him to Baskerville Hall.
(c) He is excited to be back in Devonshire.
(d) He sees a beautiful woman.
3. With whom does Miss Stapleton confuse Watson?
(c) Sir Henry.
(d) Sherlock Holmes.
4. What does C.C.H (engraved on the stick) stand for?
(a) Charing Court Hospital.
(b) Christian Care Hospital.
(c) Charing Cross Hospital.
(d) Christian Cross Hospital.
5. What does Watson hear coming from the moor?
(a) Someone screaming.
(c) A mysterious, sad moan.
(d) The baying of a hound.
6. How does Hugo's captive escape?
(a) She used the entrance to the yew alley.
(b) She sneaked out of his bedroom.
(c) She crawled down the ivy-covered wall.
(d) She bribed his servant.
7. What is Stapleton's profession?
(a) A barrister.
(b) A professor.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A naturalist.
8. What did Sir Henry discover was missing before he left to see Holmes with Dr. Mortimer?
(a) An old boot.
(b) An old suitcoat.
(c) A brown hat.
(d) A brown boot.
9. What do Sir Henry, Dr. Mortimer, and Watson discover as they travel to the moor?
(a) Another man has been murdered by the hound.
(b) A dangerous convict has escaped.
(c) A ghostly apparition has been appearing to people on the moor.
(d) One of Sir Henry's neighbors has moved out.
10. How is Holmes able to deduce the size of Dr. Mortimer's dog?
(a) Holmes looks at the size and spacing of the teeth marks on the doctor's walking stick.
(b) Holmes sees the scratch marks on the bottom of the staff.
(c) Holmes sees marks of measurement on the walking stick.
(d) Holmes guesses.
11. What was found near Sir Charles's body?
(a) A gun.
(b) A dog.
(c) The footprints of a giant hound.
12. What newspaper does Holmes find the original newsprint from?
(a) The previous day's London Times.
(b) The current Devonshire Times.
(c) The previous day's Devonshire Times.
(d) The current London TImes.
13. What does Dr. Mortimer read out loud to Watson and Holmes?
(a) Maps of Devonshire.
(b) The legend of the Baskerville hound.
(c) A newspaper article.
(d) Sir Charles's last will and testament.
14. What sets off the chain of events in the manuscript?
(a) Hugo sent a man to die in Grimpen Mire.
(b) Hugo kidnapped the daughter of a yeoman.
(c) Hugo killed the daughter of a yeoman.
(d) Hugo killed a gypsy's dog.
15. When Dr. Mortimer arrives at the rooms, what is revealed that annoys Holmes?
(a) Holmes find the doctor to be rude.
(b) Holmes does not appreciate the doctor just stopping in unannounced.
(c) Holmes's deduction are completely wrong.
(d) Holmes's deductions are mostly, but not completely accurate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Sir Charles's heir?
2. How did Dr. Mortimer deduce that Sir Charles had stood at the gate for five to ten minutes?
3. What does Sir Henry receive the morning he meets Holmes?
4. Who does Dr. Mortimer say has a beard like the man that was following them?
5. What is the Baskerville curse?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)