|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Holmes believe is the reason Sir Charles went out to the yew alley that night?
(a) Sir Charles was just out on a walk.
(b) Sir Charles was waiting for the hound.
(c) Sir Charles was waiting for someone.
(d) Sir Charles wished to smoke his cigar outside.
2. What does Holmes deduce about the sender of Sir Henry's object?
(a) The sender is not English.
(b) The sender is trying to conceal his or her's education.
(c) The sender is uneducated and trying to sound educated.
(d) The sender is highly disturbed.
3. What would Dr. Mortimer like to do?
(a) Write a letter to Holmes.
(b) Study Holmes's skull.
(c) Play violin with Holmes.
(d) Take Holmes and Watson to dinner.
4. How does Holmes spend his day after the departure of Dr. Mortimer and Watson?
(a) Playing violin and thinking.
(b) Smoking and thinking.
(c) Doing cocaine and thinking.
(d) Drinking and thinking.
5. How does Holmes relax after his day of thinking?
(a) He plays the violin.
(b) He drinks some brandy.
(c) He does cocaine.
(d) He smokes his pipe.
6. What excites Sir Henry on the journey where he cries out in delight?
(a) He sees a herd of wild ponies running over the moor.
(b) He is excited to be back in Devonshire.
(c) He sees the moor people welcoming him to Baskerville Hall.
(d) He sees a beautiful woman.
7. What does Sir Henry plan to do to the yew bridge?
(a) Make it a memorial to Sir Charles.
(b) Tear it down.
(c) Install electric lights to dispel the gloom.
(d) Open it up for the public.
8. What does Dr. Mortimer call Holmes in Chapter 1?
(a) The most brilliant mind of the decade.
(b) The best detective in Europe.
(c) The second-best detective in Europe.
(d) A lucky detective.
9. What name did the bearded man who followed Sir Henry give the cabman?
(a) Professor James Moriarty.
(b) Sherlock Holmes.
(c) Sir Henry Baskerville.
(d) Dr. John Watson.
10. Why does Holmes change his mind about Sir Henry going to Baskerville Hall?
(a) Sir Henry announces that he plans to tear down Baskerville Hall.
(b) Holmes realizes Sir Henry will not get any work done in London.
(c) Holmes knows now that Sir Henry is being followed in London.
(d) Holmes realizes that Baskerville Hall is not dangerous.
11. According to Holmes, who is actually the owner of the stick?
(a) An older, caring doctor.
(b) A young, ambitious doctor.
(c) An older, incompetent doctor.
(d) A young, unambitious doctor.
12. What did Sir Henry discover was missing before he left to see Holmes with Dr. Mortimer?
(a) A brown boot.
(b) An old boot.
(c) A brown hat.
(d) An old suitcoat.
13. What does Stapleton reveal that shocks Watson?
(a) He is planning on moving into Baskerville Hall.
(b) He knew Sir Henry from school.
(c) Stapleton knows that Sherlock Holmes is looking into the death of Sir Charles.
(d) He was with Sir Charles the night he died.
14. What does Dr. Mortimer read out loud to Watson and Holmes?
(a) The legend of the Baskerville hound.
(b) Maps of Devonshire.
(c) A newspaper article.
(d) Sir Charles's last will and testament.
15. How does Holmes check on Barrymore's location?
(a) Holmes asks the neighbors if they have seen Barrymore.
(b) Holmes has a friend watch Baskerville Hall.
(c) Holmes sends a package to Baskerville Hall.
(d) He sends a telegram for him to Baskerville Hall that requires an immediate response.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Holmes, who must Watson focus on as suspects?
2. While Watson is in Baskerville Hall, what is the only thing he is to report to Holmes?
3. What about the incident makes Dr. Mortimer most uneasy?
4. Where does chapter one take place?
5. What was found near Sir Charles's body?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)