|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What impression does Watson have of Baskerville Hall in the morning in Chapter 7?
(a) He finds it to be singularly unattractive.
(b) He finds it much lighter and more cheerful.
(c) He finds it to be just as gloomy as the night before.
(d) He finds that he does not care for it very much.
2. How much is Sir Henry going to inherit from Sir Charles?
(a) Nearly half a million pounds.
(b) Nearly a million pounds.
(c) Several hundreds of pounds.
(d) Over two million pounds.
3. What do Sir Henry, Dr. Mortimer, and Watson discover as they travel to the moor?
(a) A dangerous convict has escaped.
(b) A ghostly apparition has been appearing to people on the moor.
(c) Another man has been murdered by the hound.
(d) One of Sir Henry's neighbors has moved out.
4. What about the handwriting reveals to Holmes that the object originated at a hotel?
(a) He recognized the ink.
(b) The handwriting is too neat to not belong to a hotel clerk.
(c) The handwriting is messy, meaning someone uneducated wrote it.
(d) The splatters showed that the ink bottle was running dry, common for hotels but not for personal use.
5. What sort of accent does Sir Henry possess?
6. How does Holmes go about his search for the cut-up newspaper?
(a) Holmes checks the wastepaper himself.
(b) He hires a boy named Cartwright to search the wastepaper of each hotel in Charing Cross.
(c) Holmes sends Watson to check the wastepaper.
(d) He hires a boy named Cartwright to bribe the postman.
7. What was found near Sir Charles's body?
(a) The footprints of a giant hound.
(c) A gun.
(d) A dog.
8. Who is the man that brought the curse upon the Baskervilles?
(a) Hank Baskerville.
(b) Henry Baskerville.
(c) Charles Baskerville.
(d) Hugo Baskerville.
9. Where did Sir Charles die?
(a) The entrance to his bedroom.
(b) Fox Tor.
(c) Grimpen Mire.
(d) The entrance of the yew alley.
10. Why did Sir Charles return to Baskerville Hall?
(a) He wished to disprove rumors of the Baskerville hound.
(b) He wished to marry and start a family.
(c) He made a fortune in South Africa and wished to renovate his ancestral home.
(d) He was going to have the hall destroyed.
11. According to Holmes, who must Watson focus on as suspects?
(a) Sir Henry's servants and neighbors.
(b) The people in Coombe Tracy.
(c) Dr. Mortimer and his friends.
(d) Sir Henry's heirs.
12. How does Holmes relax after his day of thinking?
(a) He plays the violin.
(b) He does cocaine.
(c) He smokes his pipe.
(d) He drinks some brandy.
13. With whom does Miss Stapleton confuse Watson?
(a) Sherlock Holmes.
(d) Sir Henry.
14. According to Watson, who is the owner of the stick?
(a) An elderly, country doctor.
(b) A young, city doctor.
(c) Sherlock Holmes.
(d) A middle-aged scientist.
15. What is a favored study of Dr. Mortimer?
(b) The study of the human hand.
(c) The study of skull formations.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Sir Henry saddened at the thought of losing the Barrymores?
2. What newspaper does Holmes find the original newsprint from?
3. What does Sir Henry do that Holmes strongly advises against?
4. What does Sir Henry receive the morning he meets Holmes?
5. What dangerous place on the moor has claimed the lives of several people and animals?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)