Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Holmes change his mind about Sir Henry going to Baskerville Hall?
(a) Holmes realizes that Baskerville Hall is not dangerous.
(b) Holmes realizes Sir Henry will not get any work done in London.
(c) Holmes knows now that Sir Henry is being followed in London.
(d) Sir Henry announces that he plans to tear down Baskerville Hall.
2. What is the object left behind on which Watson tries to deduce a reconstruction of the mysterious owner?
(a) A boot.
(b) A notebook.
(c) A hat.
(d) A walking stick.
3. What does Watson observe that Sir Henry has inherited from his ancestors?
(a) The cruelty.
(b) The temper.
(c) The godlessness.
(d) The intelligence.
4. What is the address of the rooms that Watson and Holmes share?
(a) 221 B Baker Street.
(b) 112 A Devonshire Boulevard.
(c) 221 B Butcher Avenue.
(d) 221 South London Street.
5. What is Stapleton's profession?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A barrister.
(c) A naturalist.
(d) A professor.
6. When questioned by Sir Henry about the strange sound in the night, what lie does Barrymore tell?
(a) He lies about his wife crying the night before.
(b) He lies about whether he has heard the hound or not.
(c) He lies about having been wandering the halls the night before.
(d) He lies about where he was the night Sir Charles died.
7. How does Holmes propose to find the sender of Sir Henry's object?
(a) He asks the postman.
(b) He marks the letter to be returned to the sender.
(c) He suggests Sir Henry reply to it.
(d) He suggests they check all the trashcans for the cut-up newspaper near Charing Cross.
8. What health concern, exacerbated by the story of the hound, did Sir Charles possess?
(a) He had diabetes.
(b) He had the gout.
(c) He had cancer.
(d) He had a heart condition.
9. When Holmes and Watson arrive at the hotel, what does Sir Henry claim to have lost this time?
(a) A black hat.
(b) A black boot.
(c) An overcoat.
(d) A pipe.
10. How was Holmes able to tell what newspaper the words came from?
(a) The font.
(b) The color of the newsprint.
(c) He found the cut-up newspaper.
(d) The date was on one of the words.
11. What does Holmes deduce about the sender of Sir Henry's object?
(a) The sender is uneducated and trying to sound educated.
(b) The sender is trying to conceal his or her's education.
(c) The sender is highly disturbed.
(d) The sender is not English.
12. What does Dr. Mortimer call Holmes in Chapter 1?
(a) The most brilliant mind of the decade.
(b) The best detective in Europe.
(c) A lucky detective.
(d) The second-best detective in Europe.
13. What is the result of Hugo's wild ride after the girl?
(a) Hugo is murdered by the girl's father.
(b) A hound will visit Baskerville Hall every full moon to take one of the men away.
(c) Hugo marries the girl.
(d) Hugo has his throat torn out by a large hound.
14. How does Holmes relax after his day of thinking?
(a) He drinks some brandy.
(b) He plays the violin.
(c) He does cocaine.
(d) He smokes his pipe.
15. What is a favored study of Dr. Mortimer?
(a) The study of the human hand.
(b) The study of skull formations.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Stapleton tell Watson when she first meets him on the moor?
2. What does Sir Henry receive the morning he meets Holmes?
3. Where does chapter one take place?
4. What do Watson and Stapleton see at the bog-hole?
5. How does Hugo's captive escape?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)