|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What dangerous place on the moor has claimed the lives of several people and animals?
(a) The Green Tor.
(b) Fox Tor.
(c) The Grimpen Mire.
(d) Devon Mire.
2. What does Miss Stapleton tell Watson when she first meets him on the moor?
(a) She tells him she is going to kill herself in three nights.
(b) She tells him she knows Sherlock Holmes is around.
(c) She tells him to return to London.
(d) She tells him she knows who killed Sir Charles.
3. After questioning Dr. Mortimer about the discovery of Sir Charles's body, what is Holmes annoyed about?
(a) He does not care for Sir Charles.
(b) He wishes Dr. Mortimer had called him in sooner.
(c) He believes Dr. Mortimer is paranoid.
(d) He thinks this case is a waste of time.
4. What is the result of Hugo's wild ride after the girl?
(a) Hugo has his throat torn out by a large hound.
(b) A hound will visit Baskerville Hall every full moon to take one of the men away.
(c) Hugo marries the girl.
(d) Hugo is murdered by the girl's father.
5. Who is the man that brought the curse upon the Baskervilles?
(a) Henry Baskerville.
(b) Charles Baskerville.
(c) Hugo Baskerville.
(d) Hank Baskerville.
6. How does Holmes describe the walking stick?
(a) A present.
(b) The mark of a careless, untrustworthy man.
(c) A visiting card from the absent-minded.
(d) A rude gesture.
7. What about the incident makes Dr. Mortimer most uneasy?
(a) He believes it may be supernatural in nature.
(b) He believes the hound is haunting him.
(c) He believes he may be next.
(d) He believes the servants set up Sir Charles's murder.
8. How is Holmes able to deduce the size of Dr. Mortimer's dog?
(a) Holmes guesses.
(b) Holmes sees the scratch marks on the bottom of the staff.
(c) Holmes looks at the size and spacing of the teeth marks on the doctor's walking stick.
(d) Holmes sees marks of measurement on the walking stick.
9. What does Dr. Mortimer have on him that he wants Holmes to examine?
(a) A bone.
(b) A will.
(c) A walking stick.
(d) A manuscript.
10. What sort of accent does Sir Henry possess?
11. Though he is described as godless, what in particular made Hugo notorious?
(a) His cruel humor.
(b) His scarred face.
(c) He frequently abandoned people for dead on the moor.
(d) He beat a man to death for looking at him wrong.
12. Dr. Mortimer believes that, from the marks, Sir Charles had tip-toed throughout the gravel. What does Holmes deduce from those facts?
(a) Sir Charles was stepping carefully.
(b) Dr. Mortimer is right.
(c) A woman followed Sir Charles outside.
(d) Sir Charles was actually running.
13. What is the actual reason for Dr. Mortimer's consultation with Holmes?
(a) He fears for Sir Henry's safety if he is to go to the hall.
(b) He wants Watson to get an autopsy report for Sir Charles.
(c) He wants Holmes to investigate Sir Charles's will.
(d) He wants Holmes to kill the hound.
14. What is Watson's impression of Miss Stapleton?
(a) He finds her off-putting.
(b) He finds her to be very plain and sturdy.
(c) He finds her to be beautiful and out of place.
(d) He finds her to be very humorous.
15. While Watson is in Baskerville Hall, what is the only thing he is to report to Holmes?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Stapleton's profession?
2. According to Dr. Mortimer, why did no one else notice the strange marks near the body?
3. What did Sir Henry discover was missing before he left to see Holmes with Dr. Mortimer?
4. What does Watson hear alone at night in Chapter 6?
5. What does Holmes believe is the reason Sir Charles went out to the yew alley that night?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)