|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stapleton reveal that shocks Watson?
(a) He was with Sir Charles the night he died.
(b) He is planning on moving into Baskerville Hall.
(c) Stapleton knows that Sherlock Holmes is looking into the death of Sir Charles.
(d) He knew Sir Henry from school.
2. What does Dr. Mortimer have on him that he wants Holmes to examine?
(a) A will.
(b) A bone.
(c) A manuscript.
(d) A walking stick.
3. How does Watson know Barrymore is lying?
(a) Barrymore inadvertently admits he was out in the halls the night before.
(b) Watson hears Barrymore tell his wife he heard the hound out on the moors.
(c) Watson notes that Mrs. Barrymore's eyes are red and swollen.
(d) Dr. Mortimer tells Watson about where Barrymore was the night Sir Charles died.
4. Before the death of Sir Charles, what had appeared to people on the moor?
(b) The hound.
(c) A mysterious man on the moor.
(d) A carriage.
5. What is a favored study of Dr. Mortimer?
(b) The study of skull formations.
(c) The study of the human hand.
6. How does Holmes trick the hotel clerk into talking about guests who have checked in after Sir Henry?
(a) Holmes asks about Sir Henry.
(b) Holmes claims to recognize the names and was wondering if they were friends of his.
(c) Holmes distracts him while Watson looks at the registry.
(d) Holmes makes the clerk think he is asking about Sir Henry's relatives.
7. Who is following Sir Henry and Dr. Mortimer when they leave Holmes and Watson's rooms?
(a) A man with a possibly fake beard.
(b) A street urchin.
(c) A man dressed up as a priest.
(d) A woman dressed up as a man.
8. How does Holmes spend his time before meeting with Sir Henry in the afternoon following their first meeting?
(a) Playing violin.
(b) In an art gallery.
(d) At the theater.
9. Where did Sir Charles die?
(a) Grimpen Mire.
(b) Fox Tor.
(c) The entrance of the yew alley.
(d) The entrance to his bedroom.
10. Who does Dr. Mortimer say has a beard like the man that was following them?
(a) Anthony, Sir Charles's groom.
(b) Frankland, one of the Baskerville neighbors.
(c) Barrymore, Sir Charles's butler.
(d) Barrymore's brother.
11. What does the first telegram to Holmes reveal?
(a) Barrymore appears to be at Baskerville Hall.
(b) Barrymore appears to be in London.
(c) Barrymore does not appear to be at Baskerville Hall.
(d) Barrymore appears to have left the country.
12. What does the postmaster inadvertently reveal to Watson?
(a) One of the neighbors has been reading Sir Charles's mail.
(b) Sir Henry has a package of mail waiting for him.
(c) The telegram was delivered to Mrs. Barrymore, not her husband.
(d) Sir Charles had a mysterious package delivered to him the day before his death.
13. What about the handwriting reveals to Holmes that the object originated at a hotel?
(a) The handwriting is messy, meaning someone uneducated wrote it.
(b) The splatters showed that the ink bottle was running dry, common for hotels but not for personal use.
(c) He recognized the ink.
(d) The handwriting is too neat to not belong to a hotel clerk.
14. Why do Barrymore and his wife wish to leave Baskerville Hall?
(a) They do not care for Sir Henry.
(b) They have a better opportunity with another household.
(c) They like Sir Henry, but do not wish to serve someone who is not English.
(d) They are shaken up by the death of Sir Charles.
15. What impression does Watson have of Baskerville Hall in the morning in Chapter 7?
(a) He finds that he does not care for it very much.
(b) He finds it to be singularly unattractive.
(c) He finds it much lighter and more cheerful.
(d) He finds it to be just as gloomy as the night before.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Watson and Stapleton see at the bog-hole?
2. How is Holmes able to deduce the size of Dr. Mortimer's dog?
3. What does Holmes have Watson send up to him?
4. What does Watson observe that Sir Henry has inherited from his ancestors?
5. According to Watson, who is the owner of the stick?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)