|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name did the bearded man who followed Sir Henry give the cabman?
(a) Sherlock Holmes.
(b) Dr. John Watson.
(c) Sir Henry Baskerville.
(d) Professor James Moriarty.
2. What excites Sir Henry on the journey where he cries out in delight?
(a) He sees the moor people welcoming him to Baskerville Hall.
(b) He is excited to be back in Devonshire.
(c) He sees a beautiful woman.
(d) He sees a herd of wild ponies running over the moor.
3. How does Holmes relax after his day of thinking?
(a) He smokes his pipe.
(b) He drinks some brandy.
(c) He plays the violin.
(d) He does cocaine.
4. How does Holmes describe the walking stick?
(a) A rude gesture.
(b) A present.
(c) A visiting card from the absent-minded.
(d) The mark of a careless, untrustworthy man.
5. Though he is described as godless, what in particular made Hugo notorious?
(a) His scarred face.
(b) His cruel humor.
(c) He frequently abandoned people for dead on the moor.
(d) He beat a man to death for looking at him wrong.
6. What possibility does Holmes rule out when he discovers that Henry does not have a will?
(a) Holmes realizes that Sir Henry may be the murderer.
(b) Holmes decides that there is no murderer.
(c) Holmes decides that one of Henry's heirs is the culprit.
(d) Holmes decides that one of Henry's heirs could not be the culprit.
7. Who is following Sir Henry and Dr. Mortimer when they leave Holmes and Watson's rooms?
(a) A woman dressed up as a man.
(b) A man dressed up as a priest.
(c) A street urchin.
(d) A man with a possibly fake beard.
8. What is the actual reason for Dr. Mortimer's consultation with Holmes?
(a) He wants Holmes to kill the hound.
(b) He wants Holmes to investigate Sir Charles's will.
(c) He fears for Sir Henry's safety if he is to go to the hall.
(d) He wants Watson to get an autopsy report for Sir Charles.
9. How does Holmes propose to find the sender of Sir Henry's object?
(a) He suggests Sir Henry reply to it.
(b) He suggests they check all the trashcans for the cut-up newspaper near Charing Cross.
(c) He asks the postman.
(d) He marks the letter to be returned to the sender.
10. What does Holmes have Watson send up to him?
(b) His violin.
11. According to Holmes, who must Watson focus on as suspects?
(a) Sir Henry's servants and neighbors.
(b) Sir Henry's heirs.
(c) Dr. Mortimer and his friends.
(d) The people in Coombe Tracy.
12. How does Watson know Barrymore is lying?
(a) Dr. Mortimer tells Watson about where Barrymore was the night Sir Charles died.
(b) Barrymore inadvertently admits he was out in the halls the night before.
(c) Watson hears Barrymore tell his wife he heard the hound out on the moors.
(d) Watson notes that Mrs. Barrymore's eyes are red and swollen.
13. What does Holmes believe is the reason Sir Charles went out to the yew alley that night?
(a) Sir Charles wished to smoke his cigar outside.
(b) Sir Charles was waiting for someone.
(c) Sir Charles was waiting for the hound.
(d) Sir Charles was just out on a walk.
14. Why do Barrymore and his wife wish to leave Baskerville Hall?
(a) They are shaken up by the death of Sir Charles.
(b) They like Sir Henry, but do not wish to serve someone who is not English.
(c) They have a better opportunity with another household.
(d) They do not care for Sir Henry.
15. What do Sir Henry, Dr. Mortimer, and Watson discover as they travel to the moor?
(a) A dangerous convict has escaped.
(b) Another man has been murdered by the hound.
(c) A ghostly apparition has been appearing to people on the moor.
(d) One of Sir Henry's neighbors has moved out.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sir Henry receive the morning he meets Holmes?
2. Why did Sir Charles return to Baskerville Hall?
3. Before the death of Sir Charles, what had appeared to people on the moor?
4. Dr. Mortimer believes that, from the marks, Sir Charles had tip-toed throughout the gravel. What does Holmes deduce from those facts?
5. How does Holmes spend his time before meeting with Sir Henry in the afternoon following their first meeting?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)