|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Mortimer call Holmes in Chapter 1?
(a) The most brilliant mind of the decade.
(b) The best detective in Europe.
(c) The second-best detective in Europe.
(d) A lucky detective.
2. What does Dr. Mortimer have on him that he wants Holmes to examine?
(a) A manuscript.
(b) A will.
(c) A walking stick.
(d) A bone.
3. Dr. Mortimer believes that, from the marks, Sir Charles had tip-toed throughout the gravel. What does Holmes deduce from those facts?
(a) Sir Charles was actually running.
(b) Dr. Mortimer is right.
(c) A woman followed Sir Charles outside.
(d) Sir Charles was stepping carefully.
4. Though he is described as godless, what in particular made Hugo notorious?
(a) His scarred face.
(b) He frequently abandoned people for dead on the moor.
(c) His cruel humor.
(d) He beat a man to death for looking at him wrong.
5. Who is following Sir Henry and Dr. Mortimer when they leave Holmes and Watson's rooms?
(a) A man with a possibly fake beard.
(b) A man dressed up as a priest.
(c) A street urchin.
(d) A woman dressed up as a man.
6. What possibility does Holmes rule out when he discovers that Henry does not have a will?
(a) Holmes decides that one of Henry's heirs is the culprit.
(b) Holmes decides that there is no murderer.
(c) Holmes realizes that Sir Henry may be the murderer.
(d) Holmes decides that one of Henry's heirs could not be the culprit.
7. How does Holmes check on Barrymore's location?
(a) Holmes sends a package to Baskerville Hall.
(b) Holmes has a friend watch Baskerville Hall.
(c) Holmes asks the neighbors if they have seen Barrymore.
(d) He sends a telegram for him to Baskerville Hall that requires an immediate response.
8. How does Hugo's captive escape?
(a) She sneaked out of his bedroom.
(b) She bribed his servant.
(c) She crawled down the ivy-covered wall.
(d) She used the entrance to the yew alley.
9. What does Holmes advise to Watson before Watson leaves for Devonshire with Sir Henry and Dr. Mortimer?
(a) To never go out on the moor.
(b) To take up smoking.
(c) To stay armed at all times.
(d) To always have a dog with him.
10. What is Sir Henry's opinion of Baskerville Hall?
(a) He finds it cheerful.
(b) He finds it to be too big.
(c) He finds it to be stifling.
(d) He finds it gloomy.
11. What did Sir Henry discover was missing before he left to see Holmes with Dr. Mortimer?
(a) An old boot.
(b) A brown hat.
(c) A brown boot.
(d) An old suitcoat.
12. When questioned by Sir Henry about the strange sound in the night, what lie does Barrymore tell?
(a) He lies about whether he has heard the hound or not.
(b) He lies about his wife crying the night before.
(c) He lies about where he was the night Sir Charles died.
(d) He lies about having been wandering the halls the night before.
13. What do Sir Henry, Dr. Mortimer, and Watson discover as they travel to the moor?
(a) Another man has been murdered by the hound.
(b) A dangerous convict has escaped.
(c) One of Sir Henry's neighbors has moved out.
(d) A ghostly apparition has been appearing to people on the moor.
14. Why does Holmes change his mind about Sir Henry going to Baskerville Hall?
(a) Sir Henry announces that he plans to tear down Baskerville Hall.
(b) Holmes knows now that Sir Henry is being followed in London.
(c) Holmes realizes that Baskerville Hall is not dangerous.
(d) Holmes realizes Sir Henry will not get any work done in London.
15. What does Sir Henry do that Holmes strongly advises against?
(a) He spent an afternoon alone.
(b) He tried to go to the bank.
(c) He tried to track down the murderer himself.
(d) He wrote to his servants.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Watson hear coming from the moor?
2. What is Stapleton's profession?
3. Who is the man that brought the curse upon the Baskervilles?
4. Who does Dr. Mortimer say has a beard like the man that was following them?
5. What does Miss Stapleton tell Watson when she first meets him on the moor?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)