|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After meeting Sir Henry for the first time, what is Holmes's initial advice to him?
(a) Holmes advises him to stay with Watson in their rooms.
(b) Holmes advises him to not go to Baskerville Hall.
(c) Holmes advises Sir Henry not to be afraid.
(d) Holmes advises him to return home.
2. What does Sir Henry plan to do to the yew bridge?
(a) Install electric lights to dispel the gloom.
(b) Tear it down.
(c) Make it a memorial to Sir Charles.
(d) Open it up for the public.
3. How does Hugo's captive escape?
(a) She used the entrance to the yew alley.
(b) She bribed his servant.
(c) She crawled down the ivy-covered wall.
(d) She sneaked out of his bedroom.
4. What would Dr. Mortimer like to do?
(a) Play violin with Holmes.
(b) Take Holmes and Watson to dinner.
(c) Write a letter to Holmes.
(d) Study Holmes's skull.
5. According to Holmes, who must Watson focus on as suspects?
(a) The people in Coombe Tracy.
(b) Sir Henry's heirs.
(c) Dr. Mortimer and his friends.
(d) Sir Henry's servants and neighbors.
6. With whom does Miss Stapleton confuse Watson?
(a) Sherlock Holmes.
(d) Sir Henry.
7. What is Stapleton's profession?
(a) A professor.
(b) A naturalist.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A barrister.
8. Why do Barrymore and his wife wish to leave Baskerville Hall?
(a) They like Sir Henry, but do not wish to serve someone who is not English.
(b) They do not care for Sir Henry.
(c) They have a better opportunity with another household.
(d) They are shaken up by the death of Sir Charles.
9. What name did the bearded man who followed Sir Henry give the cabman?
(a) Sherlock Holmes.
(b) Professor James Moriarty.
(c) Sir Henry Baskerville.
(d) Dr. John Watson.
10. What does Holmes have Watson send up to him?
(c) His violin.
11. When Holmes and Watson arrive at the hotel, what does Sir Henry claim to have lost this time?
(a) A black boot.
(b) An overcoat.
(c) A black hat.
(d) A pipe.
12. What does Dr. Mortimer call Holmes in Chapter 1?
(a) A lucky detective.
(b) The second-best detective in Europe.
(c) The most brilliant mind of the decade.
(d) The best detective in Europe.
13. What does Miss Stapleton tell Watson when she first meets him on the moor?
(a) She tells him to return to London.
(b) She tells him she knows who killed Sir Charles.
(c) She tells him she is going to kill herself in three nights.
(d) She tells him she knows Sherlock Holmes is around.
14. What about the handwriting reveals to Holmes that the object originated at a hotel?
(a) The handwriting is messy, meaning someone uneducated wrote it.
(b) He recognized the ink.
(c) The splatters showed that the ink bottle was running dry, common for hotels but not for personal use.
(d) The handwriting is too neat to not belong to a hotel clerk.
15. How did Dr. Mortimer deduce that Sir Charles had stood at the gate for five to ten minutes?
(a) Sir Charles marked time with pebbles.
(b) He watched Sir Charles the night he died.
(c) He noticed that cigar ash had dropped twice.
(d) Sir Charles's watch had been smashed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Sir Charles die?
2. What is the result of Hugo's wild ride after the girl?
3. What does Watson hear alone at night in Chapter 6?
4. What impression does Watson have of Baskerville Hall in the morning in Chapter 7?
5. How does Holmes trick the hotel clerk into talking about guests who have checked in after Sir Henry?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)