|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before the death of Sir Charles, what had appeared to people on the moor?
(a) A mysterious man on the moor.
(b) The hound.
(d) A carriage.
2. How does Holmes spend his day after the departure of Dr. Mortimer and Watson?
(a) Doing cocaine and thinking.
(b) Smoking and thinking.
(c) Playing violin and thinking.
(d) Drinking and thinking.
3. What does Holmes advise to Watson before Watson leaves for Devonshire with Sir Henry and Dr. Mortimer?
(a) To take up smoking.
(b) To stay armed at all times.
(c) To never go out on the moor.
(d) To always have a dog with him.
4. What do Sir Henry, Dr. Mortimer, and Watson discover as they travel to the moor?
(a) One of Sir Henry's neighbors has moved out.
(b) A dangerous convict has escaped.
(c) A ghostly apparition has been appearing to people on the moor.
(d) Another man has been murdered by the hound.
5. What is the result of Hugo's wild ride after the girl?
(a) Hugo marries the girl.
(b) A hound will visit Baskerville Hall every full moon to take one of the men away.
(c) Hugo has his throat torn out by a large hound.
(d) Hugo is murdered by the girl's father.
6. How does Holmes relax after his day of thinking?
(a) He drinks some brandy.
(b) He smokes his pipe.
(c) He plays the violin.
(d) He does cocaine.
7. What about the incident makes Dr. Mortimer most uneasy?
(a) He believes the servants set up Sir Charles's murder.
(b) He believes the hound is haunting him.
(c) He believes it may be supernatural in nature.
(d) He believes he may be next.
8. What do Watson and Stapleton see at the bog-hole?
(a) A skeleton.
(b) A hound.
(c) A pony is slowly sinking into the mire.
(d) A boot.
9. What word is the only one not taken from a newspaper with Sir Henry's object?
10. Though he is described as godless, what in particular made Hugo notorious?
(a) He frequently abandoned people for dead on the moor.
(b) He beat a man to death for looking at him wrong.
(c) His scarred face.
(d) His cruel humor.
11. What impression does Watson have of Baskerville Hall in the morning in Chapter 7?
(a) He finds it much lighter and more cheerful.
(b) He finds that he does not care for it very much.
(c) He finds it to be just as gloomy as the night before.
(d) He finds it to be singularly unattractive.
12. What does Stapleton reveal that shocks Watson?
(a) He knew Sir Henry from school.
(b) Stapleton knows that Sherlock Holmes is looking into the death of Sir Charles.
(c) He is planning on moving into Baskerville Hall.
(d) He was with Sir Charles the night he died.
13. What possibility does Holmes rule out when he discovers that Henry does not have a will?
(a) Holmes decides that one of Henry's heirs is the culprit.
(b) Holmes decides that one of Henry's heirs could not be the culprit.
(c) Holmes decides that there is no murderer.
(d) Holmes realizes that Sir Henry may be the murderer.
14. How does Holmes go about his search for the cut-up newspaper?
(a) He hires a boy named Cartwright to bribe the postman.
(b) Holmes sends Watson to check the wastepaper.
(c) He hires a boy named Cartwright to search the wastepaper of each hotel in Charing Cross.
(d) Holmes checks the wastepaper himself.
15. Where does chapter one take place?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Holmes check on Barrymore's location?
2. What does Watson hear coming from the moor?
3. What does Dr. Mortimer read out loud to Watson and Holmes?
4. What is the address of the rooms that Watson and Holmes share?
5. With whom does Miss Stapleton confuse Watson?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)