|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the actual reason for Dr. Mortimer's consultation with Holmes?
(a) He fears for Sir Henry's safety if he is to go to the hall.
(b) He wants Holmes to investigate Sir Charles's will.
(c) He wants Holmes to kill the hound.
(d) He wants Watson to get an autopsy report for Sir Charles.
2. What does Watson observe that Sir Henry has inherited from his ancestors?
(a) The intelligence.
(b) The cruelty.
(c) The godlessness.
(d) The temper.
3. What was found near Sir Charles's body?
(a) A gun.
(b) A dog.
(d) The footprints of a giant hound.
4. What does Watson hear alone at night in Chapter 6?
(a) Sir Henry having a nightmare.
(b) A woman sobbing.
(c) A hound baying.
(d) Mice in the attic.
5. Before the death of Sir Charles, what had appeared to people on the moor?
(a) The hound.
(b) A mysterious man on the moor.
(c) A carriage.
6. What does Holmes advise to Watson before Watson leaves for Devonshire with Sir Henry and Dr. Mortimer?
(a) To take up smoking.
(b) To stay armed at all times.
(c) To always have a dog with him.
(d) To never go out on the moor.
7. How does Holmes go about his search for the cut-up newspaper?
(a) He hires a boy named Cartwright to bribe the postman.
(b) Holmes sends Watson to check the wastepaper.
(c) He hires a boy named Cartwright to search the wastepaper of each hotel in Charing Cross.
(d) Holmes checks the wastepaper himself.
8. How does Holmes spend his day after the departure of Dr. Mortimer and Watson?
(a) Drinking and thinking.
(b) Playing violin and thinking.
(c) Smoking and thinking.
(d) Doing cocaine and thinking.
9. What word is the only one not taken from a newspaper with Sir Henry's object?
10. What is Watson's impression of Miss Stapleton?
(a) He finds her to be very plain and sturdy.
(b) He finds her to be very humorous.
(c) He finds her to be beautiful and out of place.
(d) He finds her off-putting.
11. What would Dr. Mortimer like to do?
(a) Play violin with Holmes.
(b) Take Holmes and Watson to dinner.
(c) Study Holmes's skull.
(d) Write a letter to Holmes.
12. Who is Sir Charles's heir?
(a) Charles Baskerville II.
(b) Henry Baskerville.
(c) Harry Baskerville.
(d) Hugo Baskerville.
13. Who is the man that brought the curse upon the Baskervilles?
(a) Hank Baskerville.
(b) Charles Baskerville.
(c) Henry Baskerville.
(d) Hugo Baskerville.
14. How did Dr. Mortimer deduce that Sir Charles had stood at the gate for five to ten minutes?
(a) Sir Charles's watch had been smashed.
(b) He watched Sir Charles the night he died.
(c) He noticed that cigar ash had dropped twice.
(d) Sir Charles marked time with pebbles.
15. How does Holmes describe the walking stick?
(a) The mark of a careless, untrustworthy man.
(b) A visiting card from the absent-minded.
(c) A rude gesture.
(d) A present.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Sir Henry, Dr. Mortimer, and Watson discover as they travel to the moor?
2. What does Stapleton reveal that shocks Watson?
3. What is Sir Henry's opinion of Baskerville Hall?
4. What does Holmes deduce about the sender of Sir Henry's object?
5. Why does Holmes change his mind about Sir Henry going to Baskerville Hall?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)