|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What newspaper does Holmes find the original newsprint from?
(a) The previous day's Devonshire Times.
(b) The current Devonshire Times.
(c) The previous day's London Times.
(d) The current London TImes.
2. What is the result of Hugo's wild ride after the girl?
(a) Hugo has his throat torn out by a large hound.
(b) Hugo is murdered by the girl's father.
(c) A hound will visit Baskerville Hall every full moon to take one of the men away.
(d) Hugo marries the girl.
3. How does Holmes relax after his day of thinking?
(a) He drinks some brandy.
(b) He plays the violin.
(c) He smokes his pipe.
(d) He does cocaine.
4. How does Holmes spend his day after the departure of Dr. Mortimer and Watson?
(a) Smoking and thinking.
(b) Drinking and thinking.
(c) Playing violin and thinking.
(d) Doing cocaine and thinking.
5. What health concern, exacerbated by the story of the hound, did Sir Charles possess?
(a) He had a heart condition.
(b) He had cancer.
(c) He had the gout.
(d) He had diabetes.
6. How did the cabman describe the bearded man?
(a) Around forty and of military bearing.
(b) Around thirty, dark complected, and tall.
(c) Around sixty and gray.
(d) Around forty, pale, and of average height.
7. What do Sir Henry, Dr. Mortimer, and Watson discover as they travel to the moor?
(a) One of Sir Henry's neighbors has moved out.
(b) A dangerous convict has escaped.
(c) Another man has been murdered by the hound.
(d) A ghostly apparition has been appearing to people on the moor.
8. Who does Dr. Mortimer say has a beard like the man that was following them?
(a) Barrymore, Sir Charles's butler.
(b) Anthony, Sir Charles's groom.
(c) Frankland, one of the Baskerville neighbors.
(d) Barrymore's brother.
9. What does Holmes have Watson send up to him?
(a) His violin.
10. What does the postmaster inadvertently reveal to Watson?
(a) The telegram was delivered to Mrs. Barrymore, not her husband.
(b) Sir Henry has a package of mail waiting for him.
(c) Sir Charles had a mysterious package delivered to him the day before his death.
(d) One of the neighbors has been reading Sir Charles's mail.
11. What does Miss Stapleton tell Watson when she first meets him on the moor?
(a) She tells him she knows Sherlock Holmes is around.
(b) She tells him to return to London.
(c) She tells him she knows who killed Sir Charles.
(d) She tells him she is going to kill herself in three nights.
12. What was found near Sir Charles's body?
(b) A dog.
(c) A gun.
(d) The footprints of a giant hound.
13. What does Holmes believe is the reason Sir Charles went out to the yew alley that night?
(a) Sir Charles wished to smoke his cigar outside.
(b) Sir Charles was waiting for someone.
(c) Sir Charles was just out on a walk.
(d) Sir Charles was waiting for the hound.
14. Who is Sir Charles's heir?
(a) Charles Baskerville II.
(b) Henry Baskerville.
(c) Harry Baskerville.
(d) Hugo Baskerville.
15. What do Watson and Stapleton see at the bog-hole?
(a) A pony is slowly sinking into the mire.
(b) A boot.
(c) A hound.
(d) A skeleton.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Watson hear alone at night in Chapter 6?
2. What does Sir Henry receive the morning he meets Holmes?
3. What does Watson hear coming from the moor?
4. What does Sir Henry plan to do to the yew bridge?
5. Why does Holmes change his mind about Sir Henry going to Baskerville Hall?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)