|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Dr. Mortimer say has a beard like the man that was following them?
(a) Frankland, one of the Baskerville neighbors.
(b) Barrymore's brother.
(c) Anthony, Sir Charles's groom.
(d) Barrymore, Sir Charles's butler.
2. What health concern, exacerbated by the story of the hound, did Sir Charles possess?
(a) He had a heart condition.
(b) He had cancer.
(c) He had diabetes.
(d) He had the gout.
3. What does Holmes have Watson send up to him?
(b) His violin.
4. Where did Sir Charles die?
(a) The entrance of the yew alley.
(b) Grimpen Mire.
(c) Fox Tor.
(d) The entrance to his bedroom.
5. Though he is described as godless, what in particular made Hugo notorious?
(a) His cruel humor.
(b) He beat a man to death for looking at him wrong.
(c) He frequently abandoned people for dead on the moor.
(d) His scarred face.
6. What does Watson hear coming from the moor?
(b) The baying of a hound.
(c) A mysterious, sad moan.
(d) Someone screaming.
7. What is the actual reason for Dr. Mortimer's consultation with Holmes?
(a) He wants Holmes to investigate Sir Charles's will.
(b) He wants Watson to get an autopsy report for Sir Charles.
(c) He fears for Sir Henry's safety if he is to go to the hall.
(d) He wants Holmes to kill the hound.
8. With whom does Miss Stapleton confuse Watson?
(b) Sir Henry.
(d) Sherlock Holmes.
9. How did Dr. Mortimer deduce that Sir Charles had stood at the gate for five to ten minutes?
(a) Sir Charles's watch had been smashed.
(b) He noticed that cigar ash had dropped twice.
(c) He watched Sir Charles the night he died.
(d) Sir Charles marked time with pebbles.
10. How does Holmes trick the hotel clerk into talking about guests who have checked in after Sir Henry?
(a) Holmes makes the clerk think he is asking about Sir Henry's relatives.
(b) Holmes claims to recognize the names and was wondering if they were friends of his.
(c) Holmes distracts him while Watson looks at the registry.
(d) Holmes asks about Sir Henry.
11. What sort of accent does Sir Henry possess?
12. How does Hugo's captive escape?
(a) She sneaked out of his bedroom.
(b) She bribed his servant.
(c) She crawled down the ivy-covered wall.
(d) She used the entrance to the yew alley.
13. How does Holmes propose to find the sender of Sir Henry's object?
(a) He suggests they check all the trashcans for the cut-up newspaper near Charing Cross.
(b) He asks the postman.
(c) He suggests Sir Henry reply to it.
(d) He marks the letter to be returned to the sender.
14. How does Holmes go about his search for the cut-up newspaper?
(a) Holmes sends Watson to check the wastepaper.
(b) He hires a boy named Cartwright to search the wastepaper of each hotel in Charing Cross.
(c) He hires a boy named Cartwright to bribe the postman.
(d) Holmes checks the wastepaper himself.
15. Why do Barrymore and his wife wish to leave Baskerville Hall?
(a) They are shaken up by the death of Sir Charles.
(b) They have a better opportunity with another household.
(c) They do not care for Sir Henry.
(d) They like Sir Henry, but do not wish to serve someone who is not English.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Holmes relax after his day of thinking?
2. What is the address of the rooms that Watson and Holmes share?
3. What does Miss Stapleton tell Watson when she first meets him on the moor?
4. How was Holmes able to tell what newspaper the words came from?
5. According to Holmes, who is actually the owner of the stick?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)