|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a favored study of Dr. Mortimer?
(c) The study of skull formations.
(d) The study of the human hand.
2. What does Dr. Mortimer call Holmes in Chapter 1?
(a) The most brilliant mind of the decade.
(b) The best detective in Europe.
(c) The second-best detective in Europe.
(d) A lucky detective.
3. Who is following Sir Henry and Dr. Mortimer when they leave Holmes and Watson's rooms?
(a) A street urchin.
(b) A woman dressed up as a man.
(c) A man dressed up as a priest.
(d) A man with a possibly fake beard.
4. Why did Sir Charles return to Baskerville Hall?
(a) He was going to have the hall destroyed.
(b) He wished to marry and start a family.
(c) He made a fortune in South Africa and wished to renovate his ancestral home.
(d) He wished to disprove rumors of the Baskerville hound.
5. How much is Sir Henry going to inherit from Sir Charles?
(a) Nearly half a million pounds.
(b) Nearly a million pounds.
(c) Over two million pounds.
(d) Several hundreds of pounds.
6. What name did the bearded man who followed Sir Henry give the cabman?
(a) Professor James Moriarty.
(b) Sherlock Holmes.
(c) Sir Henry Baskerville.
(d) Dr. John Watson.
7. According to Holmes, who must Watson focus on as suspects?
(a) The people in Coombe Tracy.
(b) Sir Henry's heirs.
(c) Sir Henry's servants and neighbors.
(d) Dr. Mortimer and his friends.
8. What does Stapleton reveal that shocks Watson?
(a) He knew Sir Henry from school.
(b) He was with Sir Charles the night he died.
(c) Stapleton knows that Sherlock Holmes is looking into the death of Sir Charles.
(d) He is planning on moving into Baskerville Hall.
9. What do Watson and Stapleton see at the bog-hole?
(a) A pony is slowly sinking into the mire.
(b) A hound.
(c) A boot.
(d) A skeleton.
10. What was found near Sir Charles's body?
(a) The footprints of a giant hound.
(b) A gun.
(c) A dog.
11. What is the object left behind on which Watson tries to deduce a reconstruction of the mysterious owner?
(a) A walking stick.
(b) A hat.
(c) A boot.
(d) A notebook.
12. How does Holmes propose to find the sender of Sir Henry's object?
(a) He suggests Sir Henry reply to it.
(b) He suggests they check all the trashcans for the cut-up newspaper near Charing Cross.
(c) He asks the postman.
(d) He marks the letter to be returned to the sender.
13. What word is the only one not taken from a newspaper with Sir Henry's object?
14. What does Holmes deduce about the sender of Sir Henry's object?
(a) The sender is highly disturbed.
(b) The sender is trying to conceal his or her's education.
(c) The sender is uneducated and trying to sound educated.
(d) The sender is not English.
15. What does Sir Henry receive the morning he meets Holmes?
(a) A telegram from Canada.
(b) A letter.
(c) A bank note.
(d) A walking stick.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the address of the rooms that Watson and Holmes share?
2. How does Holmes describe the walking stick?
3. What is the Baskerville curse?
4. What does Holmes believe is the reason Sir Charles went out to the yew alley that night?
5. What does Watson hear alone at night in Chapter 6?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)