|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Stapleton's profession?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A naturalist.
(c) A professor.
(d) A barrister.
2. What does Sir Henry do that Holmes strongly advises against?
(a) He tried to go to the bank.
(b) He tried to track down the murderer himself.
(c) He spent an afternoon alone.
(d) He wrote to his servants.
3. What about the incident makes Dr. Mortimer most uneasy?
(a) He believes the servants set up Sir Charles's murder.
(b) He believes he may be next.
(c) He believes it may be supernatural in nature.
(d) He believes the hound is haunting him.
4. What does the first telegram to Holmes reveal?
(a) Barrymore appears to have left the country.
(b) Barrymore appears to be at Baskerville Hall.
(c) Barrymore does not appear to be at Baskerville Hall.
(d) Barrymore appears to be in London.
5. When Dr. Mortimer arrives at the rooms, what is revealed that annoys Holmes?
(a) Holmes's deductions are mostly, but not completely accurate.
(b) Holmes does not appreciate the doctor just stopping in unannounced.
(c) Holmes's deduction are completely wrong.
(d) Holmes find the doctor to be rude.
6. What does Holmes believe is the reason Sir Charles went out to the yew alley that night?
(a) Sir Charles was just out on a walk.
(b) Sir Charles was waiting for the hound.
(c) Sir Charles was waiting for someone.
(d) Sir Charles wished to smoke his cigar outside.
7. What is Sir Henry's opinion of Baskerville Hall?
(a) He finds it gloomy.
(b) He finds it to be too big.
(c) He finds it to be stifling.
(d) He finds it cheerful.
8. According to Watson, who is the owner of the stick?
(a) An elderly, country doctor.
(b) A young, city doctor.
(c) A middle-aged scientist.
(d) Sherlock Holmes.
9. How does Holmes check on Barrymore's location?
(a) Holmes sends a package to Baskerville Hall.
(b) Holmes asks the neighbors if they have seen Barrymore.
(c) Holmes has a friend watch Baskerville Hall.
(d) He sends a telegram for him to Baskerville Hall that requires an immediate response.
10. What does Dr. Mortimer have on him that he wants Holmes to examine?
(a) A walking stick.
(b) A bone.
(c) A will.
(d) A manuscript.
11. What is the object left behind on which Watson tries to deduce a reconstruction of the mysterious owner?
(a) A notebook.
(b) A walking stick.
(c) A hat.
(d) A boot.
12. How does Holmes describe the walking stick?
(a) A visiting card from the absent-minded.
(b) A present.
(c) The mark of a careless, untrustworthy man.
(d) A rude gesture.
13. What does Sir Henry receive the morning he meets Holmes?
(a) A letter.
(b) A telegram from Canada.
(c) A walking stick.
(d) A bank note.
14. What newspaper does Holmes find the original newsprint from?
(a) The current Devonshire Times.
(b) The current London TImes.
(c) The previous day's Devonshire Times.
(d) The previous day's London Times.
15. What name did the bearded man who followed Sir Henry give the cabman?
(a) Sherlock Holmes.
(b) Dr. John Watson.
(c) Sir Henry Baskerville.
(d) Professor James Moriarty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sir Henry plan to do to the yew bridge?
2. How did the cabman describe the bearded man?
3. What does the postmaster inadvertently reveal to Watson?
4. What did Sir Henry discover was missing before he left to see Holmes with Dr. Mortimer?
5. Who does Dr. Mortimer say has a beard like the man that was following them?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)