|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the address of the rooms that Watson and Holmes share?
(a) 221 South London Street.
(b) 112 A Devonshire Boulevard.
(c) 221 B Baker Street.
(d) 221 B Butcher Avenue.
2. What does the first telegram to Holmes reveal?
(a) Barrymore appears to have left the country.
(b) Barrymore does not appear to be at Baskerville Hall.
(c) Barrymore appears to be in London.
(d) Barrymore appears to be at Baskerville Hall.
3. How does Watson know Barrymore is lying?
(a) Watson hears Barrymore tell his wife he heard the hound out on the moors.
(b) Dr. Mortimer tells Watson about where Barrymore was the night Sir Charles died.
(c) Watson notes that Mrs. Barrymore's eyes are red and swollen.
(d) Barrymore inadvertently admits he was out in the halls the night before.
4. How does Holmes propose to find the sender of Sir Henry's object?
(a) He suggests Sir Henry reply to it.
(b) He asks the postman.
(c) He marks the letter to be returned to the sender.
(d) He suggests they check all the trashcans for the cut-up newspaper near Charing Cross.
5. How much is Sir Henry going to inherit from Sir Charles?
(a) Nearly a million pounds.
(b) Nearly half a million pounds.
(c) Over two million pounds.
(d) Several hundreds of pounds.
6. What would Dr. Mortimer like to do?
(a) Play violin with Holmes.
(b) Write a letter to Holmes.
(c) Study Holmes's skull.
(d) Take Holmes and Watson to dinner.
7. Dr. Mortimer believes that, from the marks, Sir Charles had tip-toed throughout the gravel. What does Holmes deduce from those facts?
(a) Dr. Mortimer is right.
(b) A woman followed Sir Charles outside.
(c) Sir Charles was actually running.
(d) Sir Charles was stepping carefully.
8. How was Holmes able to tell what newspaper the words came from?
(a) The date was on one of the words.
(b) He found the cut-up newspaper.
(c) The color of the newsprint.
(d) The font.
9. What name did the bearded man who followed Sir Henry give the cabman?
(a) Dr. John Watson.
(b) Sherlock Holmes.
(c) Sir Henry Baskerville.
(d) Professor James Moriarty.
10. How does Hugo's captive escape?
(a) She sneaked out of his bedroom.
(b) She crawled down the ivy-covered wall.
(c) She used the entrance to the yew alley.
(d) She bribed his servant.
11. What does Miss Stapleton tell Watson when she first meets him on the moor?
(a) She tells him she knows Sherlock Holmes is around.
(b) She tells him she is going to kill herself in three nights.
(c) She tells him to return to London.
(d) She tells him she knows who killed Sir Charles.
12. What is the result of Hugo's wild ride after the girl?
(a) Hugo has his throat torn out by a large hound.
(b) Hugo is murdered by the girl's father.
(c) A hound will visit Baskerville Hall every full moon to take one of the men away.
(d) Hugo marries the girl.
13. What does Sir Henry receive the morning he meets Holmes?
(a) A letter.
(b) A walking stick.
(c) A telegram from Canada.
(d) A bank note.
14. When Dr. Mortimer arrives at the rooms, what is revealed that annoys Holmes?
(a) Holmes's deductions are mostly, but not completely accurate.
(b) Holmes's deduction are completely wrong.
(c) Holmes find the doctor to be rude.
(d) Holmes does not appreciate the doctor just stopping in unannounced.
15. With whom does Miss Stapleton confuse Watson?
(a) Sherlock Holmes.
(c) Sir Henry.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the cabman describe the bearded man?
2. Why did Sir Charles return to Baskerville Hall?
3. According to Dr. Mortimer, why did no one else notice the strange marks near the body?
4. Who does Dr. Mortimer say has a beard like the man that was following them?
5. What did Sir Henry discover was missing before he left to see Holmes with Dr. Mortimer?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)