|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Sir Charles return to Baskerville Hall?
(a) He was going to have the hall destroyed.
(b) He made a fortune in South Africa and wished to renovate his ancestral home.
(c) He wished to marry and start a family.
(d) He wished to disprove rumors of the Baskerville hound.
2. When Holmes and Watson arrive at the hotel, what does Sir Henry claim to have lost this time?
(a) An overcoat.
(b) A black boot.
(c) A pipe.
(d) A black hat.
3. Why does Holmes change his mind about Sir Henry going to Baskerville Hall?
(a) Holmes realizes Sir Henry will not get any work done in London.
(b) Holmes realizes that Baskerville Hall is not dangerous.
(c) Holmes knows now that Sir Henry is being followed in London.
(d) Sir Henry announces that he plans to tear down Baskerville Hall.
4. What dangerous place on the moor has claimed the lives of several people and animals?
(a) The Grimpen Mire.
(b) Fox Tor.
(c) Devon Mire.
(d) The Green Tor.
5. What does Sir Henry do that Holmes strongly advises against?
(a) He wrote to his servants.
(b) He spent an afternoon alone.
(c) He tried to track down the murderer himself.
(d) He tried to go to the bank.
6. What does Holmes believe is the reason Sir Charles went out to the yew alley that night?
(a) Sir Charles was waiting for the hound.
(b) Sir Charles was just out on a walk.
(c) Sir Charles was waiting for someone.
(d) Sir Charles wished to smoke his cigar outside.
7. How does Holmes propose to find the sender of Sir Henry's object?
(a) He asks the postman.
(b) He suggests they check all the trashcans for the cut-up newspaper near Charing Cross.
(c) He marks the letter to be returned to the sender.
(d) He suggests Sir Henry reply to it.
8. Who is Sir Charles's heir?
(a) Henry Baskerville.
(b) Charles Baskerville II.
(c) Hugo Baskerville.
(d) Harry Baskerville.
9. What did Sir Henry discover was missing before he left to see Holmes with Dr. Mortimer?
(a) An old suitcoat.
(b) An old boot.
(c) A brown boot.
(d) A brown hat.
10. Who is the man that brought the curse upon the Baskervilles?
(a) Hugo Baskerville.
(b) Henry Baskerville.
(c) Charles Baskerville.
(d) Hank Baskerville.
11. According to Dr. Mortimer, why did no one else notice the strange marks near the body?
(a) He was the only one there.
(b) The prints were too far away.
(c) No one cared.
(d) Everyone was drunk.
12. What does Miss Stapleton tell Watson when she first meets him on the moor?
(a) She tells him she knows Sherlock Holmes is around.
(b) She tells him she is going to kill herself in three nights.
(c) She tells him she knows who killed Sir Charles.
(d) She tells him to return to London.
13. What is the actual reason for Dr. Mortimer's consultation with Holmes?
(a) He fears for Sir Henry's safety if he is to go to the hall.
(b) He wants Watson to get an autopsy report for Sir Charles.
(c) He wants Holmes to kill the hound.
(d) He wants Holmes to investigate Sir Charles's will.
14. What about the incident makes Dr. Mortimer most uneasy?
(a) He believes it may be supernatural in nature.
(b) He believes the servants set up Sir Charles's murder.
(c) He believes the hound is haunting him.
(d) He believes he may be next.
15. According to Holmes, who must Watson focus on as suspects?
(a) Sir Henry's servants and neighbors.
(b) Sir Henry's heirs.
(c) The people in Coombe Tracy.
(d) Dr. Mortimer and his friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before the death of Sir Charles, what had appeared to people on the moor?
2. What does Sir Henry plan to do to the yew bridge?
3. How does Holmes go about his search for the cut-up newspaper?
4. What is the Baskerville curse?
5. What was found near Sir Charles's body?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)