|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Sir Charles hear about Mrs. Lyons's situation?
(a) Barrymore told him.
(b) Stapleton told him.
(c) Dr. Mortimer told him.
(d) Frankland told him.
2. How did Stapleton convince Mrs. Lyons to not meet with Sir Charles the night he died?
(a) Stapleton tells her that Sir Charles is too ill to meet with her.
(b) Stapleton said he was too proud to allow another man to help her.
(c) Stapleton convinces her that Sir Charles does not wish to see her.
(d) Stapleton says that he fears it is too dangerous for her to go alone.
3. What false theory does Watson give Stapleton about how the man died?
(a) Watson says the man intentionally jumped in the Grimpen Mire.
(b) Watson says that the man shot himself.
(c) Watson says that the man probably snapped from anxiety and exposure to the elements and ran off the cliff.
(d) Watson says the man likely fell days earlier and died from exposure.
4. Dr. Mortimer believes that, from the marks, Sir Charles had tip-toed throughout the gravel. What does Holmes deduce from those facts?
(a) Sir Charles was actually running.
(b) Sir Charles was stepping carefully.
(c) Dr. Mortimer is right.
(d) A woman followed Sir Charles outside.
5. How is Chapter 8 narrated?
(a) The narration is in the form of letters from Watson to Holmes.
(b) The narration is in the form of letters between Watson and Dr. Mortimer.
(c) The narration is in the form of newspaper articles.
(d) The narration is in the form of Watson's journal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was spread over the hound to give it a ghoulish look?
2. What does Sir Henry do that Holmes strongly advises against?
3. According to Watson, what is one of Holmes's faults?
4. How does Hugo's captive escape?
5. According to Holmes, what was especially useful about Watson's reports?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)