|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Dr. Mortimer deduce that Sir Charles had stood at the gate for five to ten minutes?
(a) He watched Sir Charles the night he died.
(b) Sir Charles marked time with pebbles.
(c) Sir Charles's watch had been smashed.
(d) He noticed that cigar ash had dropped twice.
2. What is Watson's impression of Miss Stapleton?
(a) He finds her to be beautiful and out of place.
(b) He finds her to be very humorous.
(c) He finds her to be very plain and sturdy.
(d) He finds her off-putting.
3. Why did Sir Charles return to Baskerville Hall?
(a) He wished to marry and start a family.
(b) He made a fortune in South Africa and wished to renovate his ancestral home.
(c) He was going to have the hall destroyed.
(d) He wished to disprove rumors of the Baskerville hound.
4. What does Watson keep hearing from the moor?
(a) A train.
(b) The baying of a hound.
(c) A man screaming.
(d) A woman sobbing.
5. What about the handwriting reveals to Holmes that the object originated at a hotel?
(a) The handwriting is too neat to not belong to a hotel clerk.
(b) The handwriting is messy, meaning someone uneducated wrote it.
(c) The splatters showed that the ink bottle was running dry, common for hotels but not for personal use.
(d) He recognized the ink.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Watson believe is the identity of the man on the moor?
2. After questioning Dr. Mortimer about the discovery of Sir Charles's body, what is Holmes annoyed about?
3. Where does Stapleton take Sir Henry and Watson in Chapter 8?
4. How was Holmes able to tell what newspaper the words came from?
5. How does Holmes check on Barrymore's location?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)