|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Holmes go about his search for the cut-up newspaper?
(a) Holmes sends Watson to check the wastepaper.
(b) He hires a boy named Cartwright to bribe the postman.
(c) Holmes checks the wastepaper himself.
(d) He hires a boy named Cartwright to search the wastepaper of each hotel in Charing Cross.
2. What does Dr. Mortimer call Holmes in Chapter 1?
(a) A lucky detective.
(b) The most brilliant mind of the decade.
(c) The best detective in Europe.
(d) The second-best detective in Europe.
3. According to Watson, who is the owner of the stick?
(a) A young, city doctor.
(b) An elderly, country doctor.
(c) Sherlock Holmes.
(d) A middle-aged scientist.
4. What about the handwriting reveals to Holmes that the object originated at a hotel?
(a) He recognized the ink.
(b) The handwriting is messy, meaning someone uneducated wrote it.
(c) The splatters showed that the ink bottle was running dry, common for hotels but not for personal use.
(d) The handwriting is too neat to not belong to a hotel clerk.
5. How did the cabman describe the bearded man?
(a) Around forty, pale, and of average height.
(b) Around forty and of military bearing.
(c) Around sixty and gray.
(d) Around thirty, dark complected, and tall.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sets off the chain of events in the manuscript?
2. Why does Holmes change his mind about Sir Henry going to Baskerville Hall?
3. What does Holmes advise to Watson before Watson leaves for Devonshire with Sir Henry and Dr. Mortimer?
4. What does Dr. Mortimer read out loud to Watson and Holmes?
5. How does Holmes trick the hotel clerk into talking about guests who have checked in after Sir Henry?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)