|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Holmes able to tell what newspaper the words came from?
(a) The date was on one of the words.
(b) He found the cut-up newspaper.
(c) The font.
(d) The color of the newsprint.
2. What did Sir Henry discover was missing before he left to see Holmes with Dr. Mortimer?
(a) A brown boot.
(b) An old suitcoat.
(c) An old boot.
(d) A brown hat.
3. What is the object left behind on which Watson tries to deduce a reconstruction of the mysterious owner?
(a) A walking stick.
(b) A hat.
(c) A boot.
(d) A notebook.
4. According to Watson, who is the owner of the stick?
(a) A middle-aged scientist.
(b) A young, city doctor.
(c) An elderly, country doctor.
(d) Sherlock Holmes.
5. What does Sir Henry receive the morning he meets Holmes?
(a) A bank note.
(b) A letter.
(c) A telegram from Canada.
(d) A walking stick.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about the incident makes Dr. Mortimer most uneasy?
2. What would Dr. Mortimer like to do?
3. What does Dr. Mortimer call Holmes in Chapter 1?
4. What does Holmes believe is the reason Sir Charles went out to the yew alley that night?
5. What about the handwriting reveals to Holmes that the object originated at a hotel?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)