|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Mortimer call Holmes in Chapter 1?
(a) The best detective in Europe.
(b) The second-best detective in Europe.
(c) A lucky detective.
(d) The most brilliant mind of the decade.
2. What sets off the chain of events in the manuscript?
(a) Hugo killed a gypsy's dog.
(b) Hugo kidnapped the daughter of a yeoman.
(c) Hugo killed the daughter of a yeoman.
(d) Hugo sent a man to die in Grimpen Mire.
3. Who is the man that brought the curse upon the Baskervilles?
(a) Henry Baskerville.
(b) Hank Baskerville.
(c) Hugo Baskerville.
(d) Charles Baskerville.
4. How does Holmes go about his search for the cut-up newspaper?
(a) He hires a boy named Cartwright to bribe the postman.
(b) Holmes sends Watson to check the wastepaper.
(c) He hires a boy named Cartwright to search the wastepaper of each hotel in Charing Cross.
(d) Holmes checks the wastepaper himself.
5. What does C.C.H (engraved on the stick) stand for?
(a) Charing Court Hospital.
(b) Charing Cross Hospital.
(c) Christian Cross Hospital.
(d) Christian Care Hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sir Henry receive the morning he meets Holmes?
2. What does Holmes deduce about the sender of Sir Henry's object?
3. When Dr. Mortimer arrives at the rooms, what is revealed that annoys Holmes?
4. What is the actual reason for Dr. Mortimer's consultation with Holmes?
5. What does Dr. Mortimer read out loud to Watson and Holmes?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)