|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Though he is described as godless, what in particular made Hugo notorious?
(a) His cruel humor.
(b) He beat a man to death for looking at him wrong.
(c) He frequently abandoned people for dead on the moor.
(d) His scarred face.
2. How does Holmes relax after his day of thinking?
(a) He smokes his pipe.
(b) He plays the violin.
(c) He does cocaine.
(d) He drinks some brandy.
3. Dr. Mortimer believes that, from the marks, Sir Charles had tip-toed throughout the gravel. What does Holmes deduce from those facts?
(a) A woman followed Sir Charles outside.
(b) Sir Charles was actually running.
(c) Sir Charles was stepping carefully.
(d) Dr. Mortimer is right.
4. What is the object left behind on which Watson tries to deduce a reconstruction of the mysterious owner?
(a) A boot.
(b) A hat.
(c) A walking stick.
(d) A notebook.
5. What newspaper does Holmes find the original newsprint from?
(a) The current Devonshire Times.
(b) The previous day's London Times.
(c) The previous day's Devonshire Times.
(d) The current London TImes.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Dr. Mortimer deduce that Sir Charles had stood at the gate for five to ten minutes?
2. According to Holmes, who is actually the owner of the stick?
3. What does Sir Henry receive the morning he meets Holmes?
4. What health concern, exacerbated by the story of the hound, did Sir Charles possess?
5. What is a favored study of Dr. Mortimer?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)