|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Holmes relax after his day of thinking?
(a) He smokes his pipe.
(b) He plays the violin.
(c) He does cocaine.
(d) He drinks some brandy.
2. How is Holmes able to deduce the size of Dr. Mortimer's dog?
(a) Holmes looks at the size and spacing of the teeth marks on the doctor's walking stick.
(b) Holmes sees the scratch marks on the bottom of the staff.
(c) Holmes guesses.
(d) Holmes sees marks of measurement on the walking stick.
3. How did Dr. Mortimer deduce that Sir Charles had stood at the gate for five to ten minutes?
(a) Sir Charles marked time with pebbles.
(b) He watched Sir Charles the night he died.
(c) He noticed that cigar ash had dropped twice.
(d) Sir Charles's watch had been smashed.
4. What health concern, exacerbated by the story of the hound, did Sir Charles possess?
(a) He had diabetes.
(b) He had cancer.
(c) He had a heart condition.
(d) He had the gout.
5. How was Holmes able to tell what newspaper the words came from?
(a) He found the cut-up newspaper.
(b) The date was on one of the words.
(c) The font.
(d) The color of the newsprint.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is following Sir Henry and Dr. Mortimer when they leave Holmes and Watson's rooms?
2. How does Holmes propose to find the sender of Sir Henry's object?
3. What is the address of the rooms that Watson and Holmes share?
4. Where did Sir Charles die?
5. What is the object left behind on which Watson tries to deduce a reconstruction of the mysterious owner?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)