|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What about the incident makes Dr. Mortimer most uneasy?
(a) He believes the servants set up Sir Charles's murder.
(b) He believes the hound is haunting him.
(c) He believes he may be next.
(d) He believes it may be supernatural in nature.
2. According to Dr. Mortimer, why did no one else notice the strange marks near the body?
(a) No one cared.
(b) He was the only one there.
(c) Everyone was drunk.
(d) The prints were too far away.
3. What newspaper does Holmes find the original newsprint from?
(a) The current London TImes.
(b) The previous day's Devonshire Times.
(c) The current Devonshire Times.
(d) The previous day's London Times.
4. After questioning Dr. Mortimer about the discovery of Sir Charles's body, what is Holmes annoyed about?
(a) He thinks this case is a waste of time.
(b) He believes Dr. Mortimer is paranoid.
(c) He wishes Dr. Mortimer had called him in sooner.
(d) He does not care for Sir Charles.
5. How is Holmes able to deduce the size of Dr. Mortimer's dog?
(a) Holmes guesses.
(b) Holmes sees marks of measurement on the walking stick.
(c) Holmes looks at the size and spacing of the teeth marks on the doctor's walking stick.
(d) Holmes sees the scratch marks on the bottom of the staff.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Mortimer read out loud to Watson and Holmes?
2. Dr. Mortimer believes that, from the marks, Sir Charles had tip-toed throughout the gravel. What does Holmes deduce from those facts?
3. According to Watson, who is the owner of the stick?
4. What sets off the chain of events in the manuscript?
5. Where did Sir Charles die?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)