|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Mortimer call Holmes in Chapter 1?
(a) The best detective in Europe.
(b) The second-best detective in Europe.
(c) A lucky detective.
(d) The most brilliant mind of the decade.
2. Before the death of Sir Charles, what had appeared to people on the moor?
(a) The hound.
(c) A carriage.
(d) A mysterious man on the moor.
3. How does Holmes relax after his day of thinking?
(a) He smokes his pipe.
(b) He drinks some brandy.
(c) He does cocaine.
(d) He plays the violin.
4. What would Dr. Mortimer like to do?
(a) Play violin with Holmes.
(b) Study Holmes's skull.
(c) Take Holmes and Watson to dinner.
(d) Write a letter to Holmes.
5. What is a favored study of Dr. Mortimer?
(b) The study of skull formations.
(d) The study of the human hand.
Short Answer Questions
1. Though he is described as godless, what in particular made Hugo notorious?
2. What does C.C.H (engraved on the stick) stand for?
3. After questioning Dr. Mortimer about the discovery of Sir Charles's body, what is Holmes annoyed about?
4. What does Dr. Mortimer read out loud to Watson and Holmes?
5. What is the actual reason for Dr. Mortimer's consultation with Holmes?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)