|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the result of Hugo's wild ride after the girl?
(a) Hugo has his throat torn out by a large hound.
(b) Hugo is murdered by the girl's father.
(c) Hugo marries the girl.
(d) A hound will visit Baskerville Hall every full moon to take one of the men away.
2. What does Dr. Mortimer call Holmes in Chapter 1?
(a) The best detective in Europe.
(b) The most brilliant mind of the decade.
(c) The second-best detective in Europe.
(d) A lucky detective.
3. Where did Sir Charles die?
(a) The entrance to his bedroom.
(b) Fox Tor.
(c) The entrance of the yew alley.
(d) Grimpen Mire.
4. How did Dr. Mortimer deduce that Sir Charles had stood at the gate for five to ten minutes?
(a) He noticed that cigar ash had dropped twice.
(b) Sir Charles's watch had been smashed.
(c) He watched Sir Charles the night he died.
(d) Sir Charles marked time with pebbles.
5. Though he is described as godless, what in particular made Hugo notorious?
(a) His cruel humor.
(b) His scarred face.
(c) He beat a man to death for looking at him wrong.
(d) He frequently abandoned people for dead on the moor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was found near Sir Charles's body?
2. How does Hugo's captive escape?
3. Before the death of Sir Charles, what had appeared to people on the moor?
4. Why did Sir Charles return to Baskerville Hall?
5. What about the incident makes Dr. Mortimer most uneasy?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)