|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Mortimer have on him that he wants Holmes to examine?
(a) A bone.
(b) A manuscript.
(c) A walking stick.
(d) A will.
2. What sets off the chain of events in the manuscript?
(a) Hugo killed a gypsy's dog.
(b) Hugo sent a man to die in Grimpen Mire.
(c) Hugo kidnapped the daughter of a yeoman.
(d) Hugo killed the daughter of a yeoman.
3. What is a favored study of Dr. Mortimer?
(b) The study of skull formations.
(d) The study of the human hand.
4. How does Hugo's captive escape?
(a) She sneaked out of his bedroom.
(b) She crawled down the ivy-covered wall.
(c) She used the entrance to the yew alley.
(d) She bribed his servant.
5. Though he is described as godless, what in particular made Hugo notorious?
(a) His scarred face.
(b) His cruel humor.
(c) He beat a man to death for looking at him wrong.
(d) He frequently abandoned people for dead on the moor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. Mortimer believes that, from the marks, Sir Charles had tip-toed throughout the gravel. What does Holmes deduce from those facts?
2. What would Dr. Mortimer like to do?
3. Where did Sir Charles die?
4. What does Holmes believe is the reason Sir Charles went out to the yew alley that night?
5. How does Holmes describe the walking stick?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)