|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Holmes able to deduce the size of Dr. Mortimer's dog?
(a) Holmes guesses.
(b) Holmes sees marks of measurement on the walking stick.
(c) Holmes sees the scratch marks on the bottom of the staff.
(d) Holmes looks at the size and spacing of the teeth marks on the doctor's walking stick.
2. What was found near Sir Charles's body?
(b) A dog.
(c) A gun.
(d) The footprints of a giant hound.
3. After questioning Dr. Mortimer about the discovery of Sir Charles's body, what is Holmes annoyed about?
(a) He believes Dr. Mortimer is paranoid.
(b) He wishes Dr. Mortimer had called him in sooner.
(c) He does not care for Sir Charles.
(d) He thinks this case is a waste of time.
4. According to Dr. Mortimer, why did no one else notice the strange marks near the body?
(a) The prints were too far away.
(b) Everyone was drunk.
(c) He was the only one there.
(d) No one cared.
5. According to Watson, who is the owner of the stick?
(a) A young, city doctor.
(b) A middle-aged scientist.
(c) An elderly, country doctor.
(d) Sherlock Holmes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Sir Charles return to Baskerville Hall?
2. Dr. Mortimer believes that, from the marks, Sir Charles had tip-toed throughout the gravel. What does Holmes deduce from those facts?
3. What is the result of Hugo's wild ride after the girl?
4. How does Holmes relax after his day of thinking?
5. What does Holmes believe is the reason Sir Charles went out to the yew alley that night?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)