|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Mortimer call Holmes in Chapter 1?
(a) The most brilliant mind of the decade.
(b) The second-best detective in Europe.
(c) The best detective in Europe.
(d) A lucky detective.
2. How is Holmes able to deduce the size of Dr. Mortimer's dog?
(a) Holmes guesses.
(b) Holmes sees the scratch marks on the bottom of the staff.
(c) Holmes looks at the size and spacing of the teeth marks on the doctor's walking stick.
(d) Holmes sees marks of measurement on the walking stick.
3. Where did Sir Charles die?
(a) Grimpen Mire.
(b) The entrance to his bedroom.
(c) The entrance of the yew alley.
(d) Fox Tor.
4. How does Hugo's captive escape?
(a) She sneaked out of his bedroom.
(b) She crawled down the ivy-covered wall.
(c) She bribed his servant.
(d) She used the entrance to the yew alley.
5. According to Holmes, who is actually the owner of the stick?
(a) An older, caring doctor.
(b) A young, ambitious doctor.
(c) A young, unambitious doctor.
(d) An older, incompetent doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Mortimer have on him that he wants Holmes to examine?
2. What does Dr. Mortimer read out loud to Watson and Holmes?
3. What was found near Sir Charles's body?
4. Though he is described as godless, what in particular made Hugo notorious?
5. How does Holmes spend his day after the departure of Dr. Mortimer and Watson?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)