|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sets off the chain of events in the manuscript?
(a) Hugo killed the daughter of a yeoman.
(b) Hugo killed a gypsy's dog.
(c) Hugo sent a man to die in Grimpen Mire.
(d) Hugo kidnapped the daughter of a yeoman.
2. What is the object left behind on which Watson tries to deduce a reconstruction of the mysterious owner?
(a) A hat.
(b) A notebook.
(c) A walking stick.
(d) A boot.
3. After questioning Dr. Mortimer about the discovery of Sir Charles's body, what is Holmes annoyed about?
(a) He wishes Dr. Mortimer had called him in sooner.
(b) He thinks this case is a waste of time.
(c) He does not care for Sir Charles.
(d) He believes Dr. Mortimer is paranoid.
4. According to Dr. Mortimer, why did no one else notice the strange marks near the body?
(a) The prints were too far away.
(b) No one cared.
(c) He was the only one there.
(d) Everyone was drunk.
5. What health concern, exacerbated by the story of the hound, did Sir Charles possess?
(a) He had cancer.
(b) He had a heart condition.
(c) He had the gout.
(d) He had diabetes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the result of Hugo's wild ride after the girl?
2. According to Holmes, who is actually the owner of the stick?
3. Before the death of Sir Charles, what had appeared to people on the moor?
4. What does Holmes have Watson send up to him?
5. What does C.C.H (engraved on the stick) stand for?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)