|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Mrs. Lyons wish to meet with Sir Charles so secretly?
(a) She did not want to face Barrymore.
(b) She wanted to keep her friendship with Sir Charles secret from her father.
(c) She wanted to keep her relationship a secret from her estranged husband.
(d) She wanted to avoid a scandal by meeting privately with a bachelor.
2. How is Chapter 8 narrated?
(a) The narration is in the form of newspaper articles.
(b) The narration is in the form of Watson's journal.
(c) The narration is in the form of letters between Watson and Dr. Mortimer.
(d) The narration is in the form of letters from Watson to Holmes.
3. What does Watson witness when he follows Sir Henry?
(a) Watson sees Frankland watching them on his telescope.
(b) Watson sees a pony sink into the Grimpen Mire.
(c) Watson sees Sir Henry being stalked by the hound.
(d) Watson sees an encounter between Sir Henry and Miss Stapleton, which is interrupted by Stapleton.
4. Who is L.L.?
(a) There is no L.L.
(b) Laura Lyons, the daughter of Frankland.
(c) Laura Lols, the cousin of Stapleton.
(d) Laura Lancaster, the youngest sister of Frankland.
5. Why is Barrymore angry after Sir Henry and Watson learn the truth of his strange behavior?
(a) Sir Henry refuses to allow the Barrymores to leave for London.
(b) He believes they were rude to his wife.
(c) No one believes him when he tells them of the hound.
(d) He does not believe Watson and Sir Henry should have hunted after Selden.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Watson upset at Holmes's deception?
2. What newspaper does Holmes find the original newsprint from?
3. What manner of narration is used in Chapter 10?
4. According to Holmes, who is actually the owner of the stick?
5. What does Mrs. Lyons credit to Sir Charles?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)