|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Sir Charles hear about Mrs. Lyons's situation?
(a) Dr. Mortimer told him.
(b) Frankland told him.
(c) Stapleton told him.
(d) Barrymore told him.
2. Why is the woman who wrote the letter to Sir Charles estranged from her family?
(a) She married without her father's consent.
(b) She had a child out of wedlock.
(c) She divorced her husband.
(d) She did not wish to be a traditional housewife.
3. When Holmes has Watson focus solely on the face in the portrait, what does Watson see?
(a) Stapleton looks exactly like Hugo.
(b) Barrymore looks exactly like Hugo.
(c) Frankland looks exactly like Hugo.
(d) Sir Charles and Hugo look identical.
4. After Watson tells Holmes about his conversation with Laura Lyons, what does Holmes reveal to his partner about Miss Stapleton?
(a) She is actually Stapleton's wife.
(b) She is the murderer.
(c) She is Frankland's daughter.
(d) She is actually Stapleton's daughter.
5. Why is Sir Henry saddened at the thought of losing the Barrymores?
(a) He does not know how to serve himself.
(b) The Barrymores have served his family for generations.
(c) He thinks they are overreacting to Sir Charles's death.
(d) He believes it is his fault they are leaving.
Short Answer Questions
1. After asking questions about Frankland's daughter, how does Watson distract Dr. Mortimer from asking any questions?
2. How does Holmes go about his search for the cut-up newspaper?
3. What does Dr. Mortimer read out loud to Watson and Holmes?
4. According to Holmes and Watson's deductions, who must have sent the message of warning to Sir Henry in London?
5. What is the address of the rooms that Watson and Holmes share?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)