|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Holmes propose to find the sender of Sir Henry's object?
(a) He marks the letter to be returned to the sender.
(b) He suggests they check all the trashcans for the cut-up newspaper near Charing Cross.
(c) He asks the postman.
(d) He suggests Sir Henry reply to it.
2. How does Holmes spend his time before meeting with Sir Henry in the afternoon following their first meeting?
(a) In an art gallery.
(c) Playing violin.
(d) At the theater.
3. What about the handwriting reveals to Holmes that the object originated at a hotel?
(a) The handwriting is too neat to not belong to a hotel clerk.
(b) The splatters showed that the ink bottle was running dry, common for hotels but not for personal use.
(c) The handwriting is messy, meaning someone uneducated wrote it.
(d) He recognized the ink.
4. How did Dr. Mortimer deduce that Sir Charles had stood at the gate for five to ten minutes?
(a) Sir Charles marked time with pebbles.
(b) He watched Sir Charles the night he died.
(c) Sir Charles's watch had been smashed.
(d) He noticed that cigar ash had dropped twice.
5. What does the first telegram to Holmes reveal?
(a) Barrymore appears to be at Baskerville Hall.
(b) Barrymore appears to have left the country.
(c) Barrymore appears to be in London.
(d) Barrymore does not appear to be at Baskerville Hall.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hugo's captive escape?
2. Where does chapter one take place?
3. What health concern, exacerbated by the story of the hound, did Sir Charles possess?
4. What about the incident makes Dr. Mortimer most uneasy?
5. What would Dr. Mortimer like to do?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)