|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Holmes believe is the reason Sir Charles went out to the yew alley that night?
(a) Sir Charles was just out on a walk.
(b) Sir Charles wished to smoke his cigar outside.
(c) Sir Charles was waiting for the hound.
(d) Sir Charles was waiting for someone.
2. When Dr. Mortimer arrives at the rooms, what is revealed that annoys Holmes?
(a) Holmes's deduction are completely wrong.
(b) Holmes does not appreciate the doctor just stopping in unannounced.
(c) Holmes find the doctor to be rude.
(d) Holmes's deductions are mostly, but not completely accurate.
3. What is the address of the rooms that Watson and Holmes share?
(a) 112 A Devonshire Boulevard.
(b) 221 B Baker Street.
(c) 221 South London Street.
(d) 221 B Butcher Avenue.
4. According to Dr. Mortimer, why did no one else notice the strange marks near the body?
(a) Everyone was drunk.
(b) He was the only one there.
(c) The prints were too far away.
(d) No one cared.
5. What was found near Sir Charles's body?
(a) A dog.
(b) The footprints of a giant hound.
(d) A gun.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hugo's captive escape?
2. What possibility does Holmes rule out when he discovers that Henry does not have a will?
3. After questioning Dr. Mortimer about the discovery of Sir Charles's body, what is Holmes annoyed about?
4. How did the cabman describe the bearded man?
5. How did Dr. Mortimer deduce that Sir Charles had stood at the gate for five to ten minutes?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)