|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Holmes go about his search for the cut-up newspaper?
(a) Holmes sends Watson to check the wastepaper.
(b) He hires a boy named Cartwright to bribe the postman.
(c) He hires a boy named Cartwright to search the wastepaper of each hotel in Charing Cross.
(d) Holmes checks the wastepaper himself.
2. What sets off the chain of events in the manuscript?
(a) Hugo killed a gypsy's dog.
(b) Hugo kidnapped the daughter of a yeoman.
(c) Hugo killed the daughter of a yeoman.
(d) Hugo sent a man to die in Grimpen Mire.
3. What word is the only one not taken from a newspaper with Sir Henry's object?
4. What does the postmaster inadvertently reveal to Watson?
(a) Sir Charles had a mysterious package delivered to him the day before his death.
(b) One of the neighbors has been reading Sir Charles's mail.
(c) Sir Henry has a package of mail waiting for him.
(d) The telegram was delivered to Mrs. Barrymore, not her husband.
5. What is the Baskerville curse?
(a) Any descendent of the Baskervilles is to never cross the moor at night, though several have died violently.
(b) The Baskervilles are cursed to turn into hounds if they become like Hugo.
(c) A hound will visit Baskerville Hall every full moon to take one of the men away.
(d) The hound will avenge the death of any Baskerville.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sir Henry receive the morning he meets Holmes?
2. How does Holmes propose to find the sender of Sir Henry's object?
3. What possibility does Holmes rule out when he discovers that Henry does not have a will?
4. How does Holmes check on Barrymore's location?
5. In lieu of persuading Sir Henry to avoid Baskerville Hall, what does Holmes suggest?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)