|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Though he is described as godless, what in particular made Hugo notorious?
(a) He frequently abandoned people for dead on the moor.
(b) His cruel humor.
(c) His scarred face.
(d) He beat a man to death for looking at him wrong.
2. What about the handwriting reveals to Holmes that the object originated at a hotel?
(a) He recognized the ink.
(b) The handwriting is messy, meaning someone uneducated wrote it.
(c) The splatters showed that the ink bottle was running dry, common for hotels but not for personal use.
(d) The handwriting is too neat to not belong to a hotel clerk.
3. What possibility does Holmes rule out when he discovers that Henry does not have a will?
(a) Holmes decides that one of Henry's heirs is the culprit.
(b) Holmes realizes that Sir Henry may be the murderer.
(c) Holmes decides that there is no murderer.
(d) Holmes decides that one of Henry's heirs could not be the culprit.
4. In lieu of persuading Sir Henry to avoid Baskerville Hall, what does Holmes suggest?
(a) Holmes suggests that he himself act as bodyguard.
(b) Holmes sends Watson with Sir Henry for protection.
(c) Holmes suggests that Dr. Mortimer act as bodyguard.
(d) Holmes suggests that Sir Henry stay armed at all times.
5. What does Sir Henry receive the morning he meets Holmes?
(a) A bank note.
(b) A walking stick.
(c) A telegram from Canada.
(d) A letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Holmes trick the hotel clerk into talking about guests who have checked in after Sir Henry?
2. What name did the bearded man who followed Sir Henry give the cabman?
3. What does Mrs. Barrymore confess?
4. How does Holmes propose to find the sender of Sir Henry's object?
5. What did Sir Henry discover was missing before he left to see Holmes with Dr. Mortimer?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)