|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Watson deduce about the candle?
(a) He realizes it is a signal.
(b) He realizes that Barrymore is merely trying to write in secret at night.
(c) He realizes that Barrymore is using it to burn letters.
(d) He realizes that Barrymore is plotting to burn down Baskerville Hall.
2. How did the cabman describe the bearded man?
(a) Around forty, pale, and of average height.
(b) Around thirty, dark complected, and tall.
(c) Around sixty and gray.
(d) Around forty and of military bearing.
3. What does Stapleton reveal that shocks Watson?
(a) Stapleton knows that Sherlock Holmes is looking into the death of Sir Charles.
(b) He was with Sir Charles the night he died.
(c) He knew Sir Henry from school.
(d) He is planning on moving into Baskerville Hall.
4. How does Holmes trick the hotel clerk into talking about guests who have checked in after Sir Henry?
(a) Holmes claims to recognize the names and was wondering if they were friends of his.
(b) Holmes distracts him while Watson looks at the registry.
(c) Holmes makes the clerk think he is asking about Sir Henry's relatives.
(d) Holmes asks about Sir Henry.
5. How does Holmes propose to find the sender of Sir Henry's object?
(a) He asks the postman.
(b) He marks the letter to be returned to the sender.
(c) He suggests Sir Henry reply to it.
(d) He suggests they check all the trashcans for the cut-up newspaper near Charing Cross.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the postmaster inadvertently reveal to Watson?
2. What does Dr. Mortimer have on him that he wants Holmes to examine?
3. Who does Dr. Mortimer say has a beard like the man that was following them?
4. What does Mrs. Barrymore confess?
5. With whom does Miss Stapleton confuse Watson?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)