|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Sir Charles return to Baskerville Hall?
(a) He made a fortune in South Africa and wished to renovate his ancestral home.
(b) He wished to disprove rumors of the Baskerville hound.
(c) He wished to marry and start a family.
(d) He was going to have the hall destroyed.
2. How was Holmes able to tell what newspaper the words came from?
(a) The date was on one of the words.
(b) He found the cut-up newspaper.
(c) The color of the newsprint.
(d) The font.
3. How does Hugo's captive escape?
(a) She used the entrance to the yew alley.
(b) She sneaked out of his bedroom.
(c) She bribed his servant.
(d) She crawled down the ivy-covered wall.
4. What does Watson deduce about the candle?
(a) He realizes that Barrymore is plotting to burn down Baskerville Hall.
(b) He realizes that Barrymore is merely trying to write in secret at night.
(c) He realizes it is a signal.
(d) He realizes that Barrymore is using it to burn letters.
5. Who is the man that brought the curse upon the Baskervilles?
(a) Hank Baskerville.
(b) Henry Baskerville.
(c) Charles Baskerville.
(d) Hugo Baskerville.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sets off the chain of events in the manuscript?
2. How does Holmes check on Barrymore's location?
3. What does Holmes deduce about the sender of Sir Henry's object?
4. How does Holmes spend his time before meeting with Sir Henry in the afternoon following their first meeting?
5. What does Watson witness when he follows Sir Henry?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)