|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Holmes and Watson arrive at the hotel, what does Sir Henry claim to have lost this time?
(a) A pipe.
(b) A black boot.
(c) A black hat.
(d) An overcoat.
2. What possible motive for Barrymore's strange behavior does Watson surmise?
(a) Watson wonders if Barrymore is attempting to rob Sir Henry.
(b) Watson wonders if Barrymore is trying to distract him.
(c) Watson wonders if Barrymore is cheating on his wife.
(d) Watson wonders if Barrymore is trying to find the hound himself.
3. Why does Sir Henry decide that they must go capture Selden?
(a) Selden is a dangerous, violent murderer.
(b) He wants to get back at the Barrymores.
(c) He believes that the Stapletons are in danger from Selden.
(d) He wants the reward money.
4. What does Stapleton do when he visits Baskerville Hall after Watson has followed Sir Henry?
(a) Stapleton tries to hire the Barrymores away from Sir Henry.
(b) Stapleton attempts to pay Sir Henry to leave for London.
(c) Stapleton apologizes for his rudeness to Sir Henry in regards to his sister.
(d) Stapleton strikes Sir Henry for talking to his sister.
5. What about the handwriting reveals to Holmes that the object originated at a hotel?
(a) He recognized the ink.
(b) The handwriting is messy, meaning someone uneducated wrote it.
(c) The splatters showed that the ink bottle was running dry, common for hotels but not for personal use.
(d) The handwriting is too neat to not belong to a hotel clerk.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Watson deduce about the candle?
2. Though he is described as godless, what in particular made Hugo notorious?
3. What did Sir Henry discover was missing before he left to see Holmes with Dr. Mortimer?
4. What does the first telegram to Holmes reveal?
5. What does the postmaster inadvertently reveal to Watson?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)