|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Watson know Barrymore is lying?
(a) Watson hears Barrymore tell his wife he heard the hound out on the moors.
(b) Barrymore inadvertently admits he was out in the halls the night before.
(c) Dr. Mortimer tells Watson about where Barrymore was the night Sir Charles died.
(d) Watson notes that Mrs. Barrymore's eyes are red and swollen.
2. What word is the only one not taken from a newspaper with Sir Henry's object?
3. What does Holmes deduce about the sender of Sir Henry's object?
(a) The sender is not English.
(b) The sender is uneducated and trying to sound educated.
(c) The sender is trying to conceal his or her's education.
(d) The sender is highly disturbed.
4. When Holmes and Watson arrive at the hotel, what does Sir Henry claim to have lost this time?
(a) A black boot.
(b) An overcoat.
(c) A black hat.
(d) A pipe.
5. How does Holmes go about his search for the cut-up newspaper?
(a) He hires a boy named Cartwright to search the wastepaper of each hotel in Charing Cross.
(b) Holmes sends Watson to check the wastepaper.
(c) Holmes checks the wastepaper himself.
(d) He hires a boy named Cartwright to bribe the postman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Watson witness when he follows Sir Henry?
2. What does Watson deduce about the candle?
3. What possible motive for Barrymore's strange behavior does Watson surmise?
4. What is Stapleton's profession?
5. How does Hugo's captive escape?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)