|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Mortimer have on him that he wants Holmes to examine?
(a) A walking stick.
(b) A manuscript.
(c) A bone.
(d) A will.
2. What about the handwriting reveals to Holmes that the object originated at a hotel?
(a) He recognized the ink.
(b) The handwriting is too neat to not belong to a hotel clerk.
(c) The splatters showed that the ink bottle was running dry, common for hotels but not for personal use.
(d) The handwriting is messy, meaning someone uneducated wrote it.
3. What is the Baskerville curse?
(a) A hound will visit Baskerville Hall every full moon to take one of the men away.
(b) The Baskervilles are cursed to turn into hounds if they become like Hugo.
(c) Any descendent of the Baskervilles is to never cross the moor at night, though several have died violently.
(d) The hound will avenge the death of any Baskerville.
4. Why does Holmes change his mind about Sir Henry going to Baskerville Hall?
(a) Holmes knows now that Sir Henry is being followed in London.
(b) Holmes realizes that Baskerville Hall is not dangerous.
(c) Sir Henry announces that he plans to tear down Baskerville Hall.
(d) Holmes realizes Sir Henry will not get any work done in London.
5. After meeting Sir Henry for the first time, what is Holmes's initial advice to him?
(a) Holmes advises him to return home.
(b) Holmes advises him to not go to Baskerville Hall.
(c) Holmes advises Sir Henry not to be afraid.
(d) Holmes advises him to stay with Watson in their rooms.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name did the bearded man who followed Sir Henry give the cabman?
2. What is Stapleton's profession?
3. What does Dr. Mortimer read out loud to Watson and Holmes?
4. What does Watson hear coming from the moor?
5. What does Watson observe that Sir Henry has inherited from his ancestors?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)