|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Holmes able to tell what newspaper the words came from?
(a) He found the cut-up newspaper.
(b) The font.
(c) The color of the newsprint.
(d) The date was on one of the words.
2. What word is the only one not taken from a newspaper with Sir Henry's object?
3. What does Watson witness when he follows Sir Henry?
(a) Watson sees Sir Henry being stalked by the hound.
(b) Watson sees a pony sink into the Grimpen Mire.
(c) Watson sees Frankland watching them on his telescope.
(d) Watson sees an encounter between Sir Henry and Miss Stapleton, which is interrupted by Stapleton.
4. How does Hugo's captive escape?
(a) She bribed his servant.
(b) She used the entrance to the yew alley.
(c) She crawled down the ivy-covered wall.
(d) She sneaked out of his bedroom.
5. How does Watson know Barrymore is lying?
(a) Dr. Mortimer tells Watson about where Barrymore was the night Sir Charles died.
(b) Barrymore inadvertently admits he was out in the halls the night before.
(c) Watson notes that Mrs. Barrymore's eyes are red and swollen.
(d) Watson hears Barrymore tell his wife he heard the hound out on the moors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about the handwriting reveals to Holmes that the object originated at a hotel?
2. Why does Sir Henry decide that they must go capture Selden?
3. What is Stapleton's profession?
4. What possibility does Holmes rule out when he discovers that Henry does not have a will?
5. How does Holmes check on Barrymore's location?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)