|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Holmes go about his search for the cut-up newspaper?
(a) He hires a boy named Cartwright to bribe the postman.
(b) Holmes sends Watson to check the wastepaper.
(c) He hires a boy named Cartwright to search the wastepaper of each hotel in Charing Cross.
(d) Holmes checks the wastepaper himself.
2. Because of the convict and out of concern for the Stapletons, what did Sir Henry offer to them, which Stapleton turned down?
(a) The company of Watson.
(b) The company of Barrymore.
(c) The company of Perkins, Sir Henry's groom.
(d) The company of Sir Henry.
3. After hearing a man scream on the moor, what do Watson and Holmes hear next?
(a) A woman sobbing.
(b) A carriage rattling behind them.
(c) The baying of the hound.
4. Why is Watson glad to see Holmes after going to the stone hut?
(a) He is scared to walk back to Baskerville Hall alone.
(b) He believes he is being followed.
(c) The case is beginning to overwhelm Watson.
(d) He was worried for Holmes's safety.
5. What word is the only one not taken from a newspaper with Sir Henry's object?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Sir Henry discover was missing before he left to see Holmes with Dr. Mortimer?
2. After learning that Mrs. Barrymore answered the telegram for her husband, what does Watson observe about the lady?
3. By mid-October, what lady is beginning to preoccupy Sir Henry's thoughts, according to Watson?
4. What does Watson observe that Sir Henry has inherited from his ancestors?
5. What is Mr. Frankland's favorite pastime?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)