|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the letter to Holmes, what is the status on the escaped convict?
(a) The convict has probably died out on the moors.
(b) The convict has likely escaped the area.
(c) The convict will likely turn himself in to escape the inhospitable moor.
(d) The convict will likely be caught soon.
2. What about the handwriting reveals to Holmes that the object originated at a hotel?
(a) He recognized the ink.
(b) The handwriting is too neat to not belong to a hotel clerk.
(c) The splatters showed that the ink bottle was running dry, common for hotels but not for personal use.
(d) The handwriting is messy, meaning someone uneducated wrote it.
3. What false theory does Watson give Stapleton about how the man died?
(a) Watson says the man intentionally jumped in the Grimpen Mire.
(b) Watson says that the man probably snapped from anxiety and exposure to the elements and ran off the cliff.
(c) Watson says that the man shot himself.
(d) Watson says the man likely fell days earlier and died from exposure.
4. How is Chapter 8 narrated?
(a) The narration is in the form of Watson's journal.
(b) The narration is in the form of letters from Watson to Holmes.
(c) The narration is in the form of letters between Watson and Dr. Mortimer.
(d) The narration is in the form of newspaper articles.
5. Why is Watson glad to see Holmes after going to the stone hut?
(a) He believes he is being followed.
(b) He was worried for Holmes's safety.
(c) He is scared to walk back to Baskerville Hall alone.
(d) The case is beginning to overwhelm Watson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Frankland's favorite pastime?
2. What does Holmes deduce about the sender of Sir Henry's object?
3. In his correspondence with Holmes, what happens the previous night that rouses Watson's suspicion?
4. How does Holmes propose to find the sender of Sir Henry's object?
5. To what does Stapleton seem opposed?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)