|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What false theory does Watson give Stapleton about how the man died?
(a) Watson says the man likely fell days earlier and died from exposure.
(b) Watson says that the man probably snapped from anxiety and exposure to the elements and ran off the cliff.
(c) Watson says the man intentionally jumped in the Grimpen Mire.
(d) Watson says that the man shot himself.
2. What has excited Dr. Mortimer?
(a) He found where the convict is hiding.
(b) He found a prehistoric skull on an excavation.
(c) He found gold in the soil.
(d) He found evidence of the hound.
3. Who approaches Watson and Holmes after the discovery of the body on the moor?
(b) Dr. Mortimer.
4. To what does Stapleton seem opposed?
(a) He appears to be opposed to walking on the moor alone.
(b) He appears to be opposed to all the constables in the area.
(c) He appears to be opposed to Sir Henry's Americanisms.
(d) He appears to disapprove of the growing affection between his sister and Sir Henry.
5. Why is Watson upset at Holmes's deception?
(a) Watson believes that Holmes's deception allowed the villain to get away.
(b) Watson believes Holmes was in grave danger.
(c) Watson believes Sir Henry was put at a higher risk by Holmes's deception.
(d) Watson believes his careful reports to Holmes have been a waste of time.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Holmes go about his search for the cut-up newspaper?
2. What newspaper does Holmes find the original newsprint from?
3. After hearing a man scream on the moor, what do Watson and Holmes hear next?
4. Who is bringing Holmes supplies at the hut?
5. By mid-October, what lady is beginning to preoccupy Sir Henry's thoughts, according to Watson?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)