|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Stapleton seem opposed?
(a) He appears to be opposed to all the constables in the area.
(b) He appears to disapprove of the growing affection between his sister and Sir Henry.
(c) He appears to be opposed to walking on the moor alone.
(d) He appears to be opposed to Sir Henry's Americanisms.
2. How does Holmes propose to find the sender of Sir Henry's object?
(a) He suggests Sir Henry reply to it.
(b) He marks the letter to be returned to the sender.
(c) He suggests they check all the trashcans for the cut-up newspaper near Charing Cross.
(d) He asks the postman.
3. In his correspondence with Holmes, what happens the previous night that rouses Watson's suspicion?
(a) He sees Barrymore quickly packing his trunk.
(b) He sees Barrymore sneak to a window and light a candle.
(c) He sees Mrs. Barrymore burning a letter.
(d) He sees Mrs. Barrymore going outside by herself.
4. After learning that Mrs. Barrymore answered the telegram for her husband, what does Watson observe about the lady?
(a) She appears to be in a deep sorrow of mysterious origin.
(b) She appears to not have a care in the world.
(c) She appears to be very ill.
(d) She appears to be very frightened at the story of the hound.
5. What false theory does Watson give Stapleton about how the man died?
(a) Watson says that the man probably snapped from anxiety and exposure to the elements and ran off the cliff.
(b) Watson says the man likely fell days earlier and died from exposure.
(c) Watson says the man intentionally jumped in the Grimpen Mire.
(d) Watson says that the man shot himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is following Sir Henry and Dr. Mortimer when they leave Holmes and Watson's rooms?
2. Why is Watson upset at Holmes's deception?
3. What is Mr. Frankland's favorite pastime?
4. Where does Stapleton take Sir Henry and Watson in Chapter 8?
5. Why is Watson glad to see Holmes after going to the stone hut?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)