|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By mid-October, what lady is beginning to preoccupy Sir Henry's thoughts, according to Watson?
(a) Miss Stapleton.
(b) Laura Lyons.
(c) Mrs. Barrymore.
(d) A yeoman's daughter.
2. What does Sir Henry receive the morning he meets Holmes?
(a) A walking stick.
(b) A telegram from Canada.
(c) A bank note.
(d) A letter.
3. After learning that Mrs. Barrymore answered the telegram for her husband, what does Watson observe about the lady?
(a) She appears to be in a deep sorrow of mysterious origin.
(b) She appears to be very ill.
(c) She appears to not have a care in the world.
(d) She appears to be very frightened at the story of the hound.
4. How is Chapter 8 narrated?
(a) The narration is in the form of Watson's journal.
(b) The narration is in the form of letters from Watson to Holmes.
(c) The narration is in the form of letters between Watson and Dr. Mortimer.
(d) The narration is in the form of newspaper articles.
5. What did Sir Henry discover was missing before he left to see Holmes with Dr. Mortimer?
(a) An old suitcoat.
(b) A brown boot.
(c) An old boot.
(d) A brown hat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Because of the convict and out of concern for the Stapletons, what did Sir Henry offer to them, which Stapleton turned down?
2. What is Mr. Frankland's favorite pastime?
3. What does Holmes deduce about the sender of Sir Henry's object?
4. How does Holmes go about his search for the cut-up newspaper?
5. How was Holmes able to tell what newspaper the words came from?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)