|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Holmes lie about being in London to Watson?
(a) He did not trust Watson.
(b) He did not want Watson to inadvertently reveal to the enemy that he was there.
(c) He knew Watson would tell Sir Henry.
(d) He was afraid for Watson's safety.
2. What newspaper does Holmes find the original newsprint from?
(a) The previous day's London Times.
(b) The current Devonshire Times.
(c) The current London TImes.
(d) The previous day's Devonshire Times.
3. What about the handwriting reveals to Holmes that the object originated at a hotel?
(a) He recognized the ink.
(b) The handwriting is messy, meaning someone uneducated wrote it.
(c) The splatters showed that the ink bottle was running dry, common for hotels but not for personal use.
(d) The handwriting is too neat to not belong to a hotel clerk.
4. In his correspondence with Holmes, what happens the previous night that rouses Watson's suspicion?
(a) He sees Mrs. Barrymore burning a letter.
(b) He sees Mrs. Barrymore going outside by herself.
(c) He sees Barrymore sneak to a window and light a candle.
(d) He sees Barrymore quickly packing his trunk.
5. What did Sir Henry discover was missing before he left to see Holmes with Dr. Mortimer?
(a) A brown boot.
(b) An old suitcoat.
(c) An old boot.
(d) A brown hat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who approaches Watson and Holmes after the discovery of the body on the moor?
2. What false theory does Watson give Stapleton about how the man died?
3. What is Mr. Frankland's favorite pastime?
4. How was Holmes able to tell what newspaper the words came from?
5. What does Watson observe that Sir Henry has inherited from his ancestors?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)