|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Watson tells Sir Henry that the postmaster claims that the telegram was actually delivered to Mrs. Barrymore, and Barrymore himself was nowhere in sight. When Sir Henry questions his servant, what does Barrymore reveal to Sir Henry?
(a) Barrymore admits that his wife answered the telegram in his stead.
(b) Barrymore admits that he sent Sir Henry the warning letter.
(c) Barrymore admits that he was the man in London.
(d) Barrymore admits that he has been walking the halls at night.
2. What newspaper does Holmes find the original newsprint from?
(a) The previous day's Devonshire Times.
(b) The current London TImes.
(c) The previous day's London Times.
(d) The current Devonshire Times.
3. How does Holmes go about his search for the cut-up newspaper?
(a) Holmes checks the wastepaper himself.
(b) He hires a boy named Cartwright to bribe the postman.
(c) Holmes sends Watson to check the wastepaper.
(d) He hires a boy named Cartwright to search the wastepaper of each hotel in Charing Cross.
4. Where does Stapleton take Sir Henry and Watson in Chapter 8?
(a) The area where, according to the story, Hugo Baskerville was killed.
(b) Hound's Tor.
(c) The Grimpen Mire.
(d) The place where the convict is believed to have been last seen.
5. What is Mr. Frankland's favorite pastime?
(b) Charity work.
Short Answer Questions
1. By mid-October, what lady is beginning to preoccupy Sir Henry's thoughts, according to Watson?
2. After meeting Sir Henry for the first time, what is Holmes's initial advice to him?
3. Why is Watson upset at Holmes's deception?
4. What does Watson observe that Sir Henry has inherited from his ancestors?
5. What has excited Dr. Mortimer?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)