|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After learning that Mrs. Barrymore answered the telegram for her husband, what does Watson observe about the lady?
(a) She appears to be in a deep sorrow of mysterious origin.
(b) She appears to not have a care in the world.
(c) She appears to be very ill.
(d) She appears to be very frightened at the story of the hound.
2. What newspaper does Holmes find the original newsprint from?
(a) The previous day's London Times.
(b) The current Devonshire Times.
(c) The current London TImes.
(d) The previous day's Devonshire Times.
3. How does Mr. Frankland spend his time when at home?
(a) He spends time with his daughter, who is a painter.
(b) He uses his telescope to look at the moor, ostensibly for the convict.
(c) He is writing a history of Devonshire.
(d) He spends time restoring his home.
4. In his correspondence with Holmes, what happens the previous night that rouses Watson's suspicion?
(a) He sees Barrymore sneak to a window and light a candle.
(b) He sees Barrymore quickly packing his trunk.
(c) He sees Mrs. Barrymore burning a letter.
(d) He sees Mrs. Barrymore going outside by herself.
5. Who is following Sir Henry and Dr. Mortimer when they leave Holmes and Watson's rooms?
(a) A man with a possibly fake beard.
(b) A woman dressed up as a man.
(c) A man dressed up as a priest.
(d) A street urchin.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Chapter 8 narrated?
2. What does Sir Henry receive the morning he meets Holmes?
3. After Watson tells Holmes about his conversation with Laura Lyons, what does Holmes reveal to his partner about Miss Stapleton?
4. Why did Holmes lie about being in London to Watson?
5. After meeting Sir Henry for the first time, what is Holmes's initial advice to him?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)