|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was the frigate run aground destroyed?
2. What increases around the destroyed semaphore?
3. Where will the story of Hornblower's success be published?
4. What causes the Grasshopper to be bested?
5. What country is the Félicité from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Doughty say he struck an officer?
2. Why does Hornblower choose to add Grimes's name to the list of men killed in action?
3. What has caused the two frigates in Brest to ride lower than usual in the water?
4. What happens when a mortar lands on the Hotspur?
5. Why does Cornwallis want Hornblower to pursue the Spanish treasure fleet?
6. How does Doughty escape from the Hotspur?
7. What begins to happen to Hornblower's appearance when he has been at sea for six months?
8. Why is Hornblower unable to re-provision his ship when he was meant to?
9. When does Hornblower ask to re-fill his water supply, and what answer is he given?
10. What does the Brest blockade consist of over the first summer at war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the prize money system, and how does this change the actions and motives of some of the characters in this book?
Essay Topic 2
What is Doughty's role in this book, and what attributes in Hornblower does he reveal by his brief presence in the book?
Essay Topic 3
What does Hornblower mean when he says he hates the random fatality in war, and what brings about this strange train of thought?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)