|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hornblower go to Plymouth?
2. Who is replacing Pellew as Hornblower's commander?
3. What does Hornblower tell his crew when winter sets in?
4. What positive thing interrupts the monotony on the Hotspur after they leave Plymouth?
5. Who points out the change in Hornblower on New Year's Eve?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Doughty escape from the Hotspur?
2. Why does Hornblower get to spend some time with his wife and son?
3. Why is Cornwallis so relieved when he hears about the extreme water conditions on the Hotspur?
4. What does the Brest blockade consist of over the first summer at war?
5. What does Hornblower think about during the storms, and why?
6. Why is Hornblower unable to re-provision his ship when he was meant to?
7. Who is Hornblower's visitor while in Cadiz, and what do they discuss?
8. What does Hornblower get excited about as the New Year approaches?
9. What begins to happen to Hornblower's appearance when he has been at sea for six months?
10. Why does Doughty say he struck an officer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair is a theme that appears in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Which character do you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this book have their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and describe their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affects the characters around them.
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)