|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hornblower regret after getting his first dinner from Grimes's replacement?
2. Why did Doughty commit his crime?
3. What was the biggest loss to the French in the night attack?
4. What does Hornblower make his crew train in during the Winter?
5. How does Hornblower feel about domestic life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Brest blockade consist of over the first summer at war?
2. Why does Hornblower get to spend some time with his wife and son?
3. What has caused the two frigates in Brest to ride lower than usual in the water?
4. What does Doughty make for Hornblower on his first day in his service?
5. What does Hornblower get excited about as the New Year approaches?
6. What changes set in at the winter, and what does this mean for Hornblower?
7. Why is the navy so important to England's success?
8. What do three red lights on a French ship mean?
9. What kind of ships does Napoleon allow into his armada?
10. Why is Hornblower unable to re-provision his ship when he was meant to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Hornblower change in his ideas about domestic life throughout this book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Hornblower changes a lot from the beginning of the book to the end. Compare and contrast Hornblower's character at the beginning of the book to his character at the end of the book.
Essay Topic 3
This book takes place in different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Forester have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)