|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hornblower hesitate to add to the Butcher's Bill?
2. What does arems en flute mean?
3. What American ship is anchored in the harbor with the Hotspur?
4. Why is Hornblower not able to speak with Maria?
5. What does Hornblower do while trying to rescue the Grasshopper that amazes his crew?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Hornblower's visitor while in Cadiz, and what do they discuss?
2. Why is Hornblower unable to re-provision his ship when he was meant to?
3. What kind of ships does Napoleon allow into his armada?
4. When does Hornblower ask to re-fill his water supply, and what answer is he given?
5. Why does Doughty say he struck an officer?
6. Why does Hornblower choose to add Grimes's name to the list of men killed in action?
7. What begins to happen to Hornblower's appearance when he has been at sea for six months?
8. What does Hornblower order his crew to do after the foremast comes down, and why?
9. How does Hornblower word his experience at the semaphore, and why?
10. What does Hornblower get excited about as the New Year approaches?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this book have their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and describe their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affects the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice is a prevalent theme in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Many different characters in this book are persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how does persuasion affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)