|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Grimes die?
2. What does Hornblower update over the first summer at war?
3. What increases in the army encampments on shore after Christmas?
4. What is the first dinner made for Hornblower by Grimes's replacement?
5. What positive thing interrupts the monotony on the Hotspur after they leave Plymouth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Hornblower unable to re-provision his ship when he was meant to?
2. Why does Hornblower get to spend some time with his wife and son?
3. What begins to happen to Hornblower's appearance when he has been at sea for six months?
4. Who is Hornblower's visitor while in Cadiz, and what do they discuss?
5. What does Hornblower get excited about as the New Year approaches?
6. Why does Doughty say he struck an officer?
7. What happens when a mortar lands on the Hotspur?
8. When does Hornblower ask to re-fill his water supply, and what answer is he given?
9. How does Hornblower feel about domestic life?
10. How does Doughty escape from the Hotspur?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Valor is a theme of this book that is very important to many of the characters involved. Where does this theme of valor present itself and how do these occurrences affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
How does Hornblower change in his ideas about domestic life throughout this book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
What was the prize money system, and how does this change the actions and motives of some of the characters in this book?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)