|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What irritates Hornblower about his wife after their marriage?
2. What is so shocking to Hornblower about the announcement from Cornwallis?
3. What kind of jam is in Hornblower's personal stores?
4. What causes the Hotspur to win the race with the Loire?
5. What station does Pellew hold?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hornblower have the Hotspur do after firing on the Loire?
2. How is Hornblower able to be attentive to his wife even though he is to sail away the next day?
3. What does Hornblower do during the ship-to-shore action?
4. What is Hornblower's plan to destroy the semaphore?
5. What does Hornblower do when he sees a French fisherman?
6. Why does Hornblower not have much in his own personal stores on the ship?
7. What is Hornblower supposed to use any extra money for when he gets to France?
8. What was the damage caused by the ship-to-shore action?
9. What does Hornblower do before opening his commands from Cornwallis?
10. How does Hornblower get the one thing he needs to complete his plan to destroy the semaphore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this book have their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and describe their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affects the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common emotion in this book that is depicted a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where does this theme appear, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)