|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of jam is in Hornblower's personal stores?
2. What was Hornblower's title when he first met Pellew?
3. How many ships of the lines are with the Hotspur's squadron?
4. Why is Hornblower so tense when the Loire is pursuing the Hotspur?
5. What does Hornblower feel he has to balance at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Bush disappointed about after the ship-to-shore action?
2. What does Hornblower do before opening his commands from Cornwallis?
3. Why does Hornblower lead the assault on the semaphore himself?
4. How does Hornblower get the one thing he needs to complete his plan to destroy the semaphore?
5. What is the semaphore?
6. How does Bush feel when Hornblower knows all about the Loire in the Brest harbor?
7. What was the damage caused by the ship-to-shore action?
8. What does Hornblower have the Hotspur do after firing on the Loire?
9. Why is Grimes so afraid of Hornblower?
10. Why does Hornblower not have much in his own personal stores on the ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character do you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
What does Hornblower mean when he says he hates the random fatality in war, and what brings about this strange train of thought?
Essay Topic 3
What is the semaphore and what significance does it have in this plot?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)