|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hornblower feel about what he is doing for the first time as he leaves England?
2. What is Hornblower doing at the beginning of the book?
3. Who leads the group of men to the semaphore?
4. What irritates Hornblower about his wife after their marriage?
5. What does Pellew's ship give to the Hotspur?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is found in the package sent by Cornwallis?
2. How is Hornblower able to be attentive to his wife even though he is to sail away the next day?
3. What does Hornblower try to teach Grimes, and how is this lesson taken?
4. What is the semaphore?
5. What does Hornblower need to make his plan to destroy the semaphore successful?
6. What is Hornblower called to do shortly after his wedding celebration begins?
7. How does Hornblower feel right before his wedding, and what does he do?
8. How does Hornblower get the one thing he needs to complete his plan to destroy the semaphore?
9. What does Cornwallis say about the treaty, and what does he plan to do in response to this?
10. What does Hornblower find when he goes to punish Grimes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this book have their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and describe their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affects the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
What is Doughty's role in this book, and what attributes in Hornblower does he reveal by his brief presence in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Sacrifice is a prevalent theme in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)