|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many ships of the lines are with the Hotspur's squadron?
2. Hoe many cannons are on the Hotspur?
3. How does Prowse feel during the chase by Loire?
4. What irritates Hornblower about his wife after their marriage?
5. Who suggests the ship-to-shore action at Brest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hornblower need to make his plan to destroy the semaphore successful?
2. What does Hornblower do before opening his commands from Cornwallis?
3. What gift does Hornblower give Maria before he leaves, and what is this symbolic of?
4. What is Hornblower's plan to destroy the semaphore?
5. What does Hornblower do when he sees a French fisherman?
6. How do the French merchant ships get by the blockade?
7. How does Hornblower get the one thing he needs to complete his plan to destroy the semaphore?
8. Why is Grimes so afraid of Hornblower?
9. What was the damage caused by the ship-to-shore action?
10. What gift does Maria give Hornblower before he leaves, and what is this symbolic of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Hornblower mean when he says he hates the random fatality in war, and what brings about this strange train of thought?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice is a prevalent theme in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Which character do you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)