|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What startles Hornblower about Grimes's replacement?
(a) All of these.
(b) His obedient nature.
(c) His competence.
(d) His blue eyes.
2. Where is Hornblower told to go while he is talking to Doughty in the brig?
3. What does Hornblower notice about two frigates in the bay after Christmas?
(a) They are more weighed down.
(b) Their colors don't change when they should.
(c) They are riding more lightly.
(d) They seem undermanned.
4. What is the Butcher's Bill?
(a) The list of dead and wounded.
(b) The list of damage to the ship.
(c) The list of prisoners.
(d) The list of needed provisions.
5. What is the French identification and follow signal?
(a) Two green lights.
(b) Four yellow flames.
(c) One flashing blue lantern.
(d) Three red lights.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hornblower see Maria on the pier?
2. What do Prowse, Hornblower, and Bush discuss at length after the semaphore?
3. What causes the Grasshopper to be bested?
4. What begins to fall apart when Hornblower has been at sea for six months?
5. How is the second French ship harmed when Hornblower makes his night attack?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the navy so important to England's success?
2. What does Doughty make for Hornblower on his first day in his service?
3. What does Hornblower order his crew to do after the foremast comes down, and why?
4. Why does Hornblower get to spend some time with his wife and son?
5. What has caused the two frigates in Brest to ride lower than usual in the water?
6. What kind of ships does Napoleon allow into his armada?
7. Why does Cornwallis want Hornblower to pursue the Spanish treasure fleet?
8. What does the Brest blockade consist of over the first summer at war?
9. What begins to happen to Hornblower's appearance when he has been at sea for six months?
10. How is England able to continue shipping and trading goods to other countries?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)