|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the punishment for Doughty's arrest?
2. What does Hornblower and his crew spend the first summer at war doing?
(a) Sending information.
(b) Working the blockade.
(c) Destroying all progress on the semaphore.
(d) Scouting the shore units.
3. How long is Hornblower told to wait in station when he asks permission to find water?
(a) Six days.
(b) Four days.
(c) Three days.
(d) Five days.
4. What is the smallest daily water ration Hornblower gives his crew during the storms?
(a) 1/3 rations.
(b) 1/2 rations.
(c) 3/4 rations.
(d) 2/3 rations.
5. What changes at Brest when winter sets in?
(a) The visibility.
(b) The wind.
(c) The temperature.
(d) The number at the blockade.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hornblower go to get fresh water for his ship?
2. What do the fall gales prevent from happening?
3. Why is Hornblower not able to speak with Maria?
4. What comes crashing down on the Hotspur during the night attack?
5. What is the office held by the man replacing Pellew as Hornblower's commander?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of ships does Napoleon allow into his armada?
2. Who is Hornblower's visitor while in Cadiz, and what do they discuss?
3. What does the crew of the Hotspur have to endure while living on shortened rations of water?
4. How is England able to continue shipping and trading goods to other countries?
5. What changes set in at the winter, and what does this mean for Hornblower?
6. What has caused the two frigates in Brest to ride lower than usual in the water?
7. Why is Cornwallis so relieved when he hears about the extreme water conditions on the Hotspur?
8. What does Doughty make for Hornblower on his first day in his service?
9. What does Hornblower order his crew to do after the foremast comes down, and why?
10. Why does Hornblower choose to add Grimes's name to the list of men killed in action?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)