|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hornblower feel about domestic life?
(a) He loves it.
(b) He feels fulfilled, but in the way.
(c) He finds it strange.
(d) He is afraid of messing it up.
2. What is Napoleon's armada made up of?
(a) Very small boats.
(b) Old slaving vessels.
(c) Overtaken French ships.
(d) Captured Spanish frigates.
3. What does Hornblower make his crew train in during the Winter?
(a) Sailing techniques.
(b) All of these.
4. What do the fall gales prevent from happening?
(a) Practice runs with the guns.
(b) Clear sights.
(d) Effective blockading.
5. Where does Hornblower go to get fresh water for his ship?
(a) Uchtine Harbor.
(b) Tor Bay.
(c) Ushdale Bay.
(d) Port Tallin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hornblower go to Plymouth?
2. What ship captured the Clorinde?
3. What negative thing interrupts the monotony on the Hotspur after they leave Plymouth?
4. What does Hornblower regret after getting his first dinner from Grimes's replacement?
5. What increases in the army encampments on shore after Christmas?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Doughty escape from the Hotspur?
2. Why is Cornwallis so relieved when he hears about the extreme water conditions on the Hotspur?
3. Why is the navy so important to England's success?
4. What do three red lights on a French ship mean?
5. What does the crew of the Hotspur have to endure while living on shortened rations of water?
6. What does Bush say to Hornblower after the excitement of the night attack is over?
7. What does Doughty make for Hornblower on his first day in his service?
8. Why is Hornblower unable to re-provision his ship when he was meant to?
9. Why does Cornwallis want Hornblower to pursue the Spanish treasure fleet?
10. What kind of ships does Napoleon allow into his armada?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)