|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hornblower think the French are doing when he makes observations after Christmas?
(a) Preparing for assault.
(b) Making land maneuvers.
(c) Transferring troops.
(d) Trying to escape.
2. What is the French identification and follow signal?
(a) Four yellow flames.
(b) One flashing blue lantern.
(c) Three red lights.
(d) Two green lights.
3. Why did Doughty commit his crime?
(a) He was confused.
(b) He was hungry.
(c) He was dared.
(d) He was angry.
4. Who points out the change in Hornblower on New Year's Eve?
5. What is the office held by the man replacing Pellew as Hornblower's commander?
(c) Rear Admiral.
Short Answer Questions
1. What upsets Bush when the account of the mortar incident is in the newspaper?
2. For what does Hornblower search newspapers?
3. What ship captured the Clorinde?
4. What kind of damage does the Hotspur get during the storms?
5. How was the frigate run aground destroyed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hornblower choose to add Grimes's name to the list of men killed in action?
2. What does Hornblower order his crew to do after the foremast comes down, and why?
3. What happens when a mortar lands on the Hotspur?
4. How does Doughty escape from the Hotspur?
5. What begins to happen to Hornblower's appearance when he has been at sea for six months?
6. What does Bush say to Hornblower after the excitement of the night attack is over?
7. What does Hornblower get excited about as the New Year approaches?
8. Why is the navy so important to England's success?
9. Why does Hornblower get to spend some time with his wife and son?
10. What changes set in at the winter, and what does this mean for Hornblower?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)