|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where has Maria sailed from to visit Hornblower?
2. How does Hornblower appear on New Year's Eve?
(a) Haggard and strange.
(b) Tired and worried.
(c) Distracted and upset.
(d) Thin and sickly.
3. What does Hornblower do while trying to rescue the Grasshopper that amazes his crew?
(a) He pulls the Grasshopper's captain out of the wreckage.
(b) He returns fire on the French frigate.
(c) He repairs the sails on the Grasshopper.
(d) He puts out a mortar fuse.
4. What does arems en flute mean?
(a) Foot soldiers in arms.
(b) Fulfilled armories.
(c) Armed like a flute.
(d) Armories emptied.
5. What does Hornblower have to do after sleeping a few hours after destroying the semaphore?
(a) Take account of his crew.
(b) Write a report of the action.
(c) Interrogate the prisoners.
(d) Hold a funeral for Grimes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ship captured the Clorinde?
2. What is the office held by the man replacing Pellew as Hornblower's commander?
3. Why is Hornblower not able to speak with Maria?
4. What does Hornblower make his crew train in during the Winter?
5. What is the smallest daily water ration Hornblower gives his crew during the storms?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the navy so important to England's success?
2. Why does Hornblower choose to add Grimes's name to the list of men killed in action?
3. What begins to happen to Hornblower's appearance when he has been at sea for six months?
4. Why does Cornwallis want Hornblower to pursue the Spanish treasure fleet?
5. What does Doughty make for Hornblower on his first day in his service?
6. What do three red lights on a French ship mean?
7. How does Hornblower word his experience at the semaphore, and why?
8. How does Doughty escape from the Hotspur?
9. When does Hornblower ask to re-fill his water supply, and what answer is he given?
10. Why is Cornwallis so relieved when he hears about the extreme water conditions on the Hotspur?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)