|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What station does Pellew hold?
2. What is Hornblower doing at the beginning of the book?
(a) Being promoted.
(b) Cleaning his uniform.
(c) Meeting with the admiral.
(d) Getting married.
3. How does Hornblower feel about what he is doing for the first time as he leaves England?
4. What office does Hornblower hold at the beginning of this book?
5. What does Hornblower do before setting fire to the semaphore?
(a) Evicts the operator and his family.
(b) Translates the code.
(c) Waits for the message from Pellew.
(d) Signals the Hotspur.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of ship does Hornblower command at the beginning of this book?
2. What was Hornblower's title when he first met Pellew?
3. What is the name of Pellew's ship?
4. What is inside the package with the orders sent by Hornblower?
5. What does Hornblower feel he has to balance at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Grimes so afraid of Hornblower?
2. What was the damage caused by the ship-to-shore action?
3. What does Hornblower have the Hotspur do after firing on the Loire?
4. What gift does Maria give Hornblower before he leaves, and what is this symbolic of?
5. How do the French merchant ships get by the blockade?
6. What does Hornblower find when he goes to punish Grimes?
7. What is Hornblower supposed to use any extra money for when he gets to France?
8. How does Hornblower feel about prize money, and how does he communicate this?
9. Why is Hornblower unable to have fresh eggs, and why is this so frustrating to him?
10. What gift does Hornblower give Maria before he leaves, and what is this symbolic of?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)