|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Hornblower unable to recognize the honor sent to him from the French ship?
(a) He is colorblind.
(b) He cannot understand French.
(c) He is on the other side of the ship.
(d) He is tone deaf.
2. Where is Cotard hailed by a guard?
(a) The jetty.
(b) The semaphore.
(c) The landing dock.
(d) The rock beach.
3. What does Hornblower realize he is doing for the first time as he leaves England?
(a) Going on a secret mission.
(b) Sailing outside of a group.
(c) Going to sea at a time of peace.
(d) Commanding a vessel by himself.
4. Who leads the group of men to the semaphore?
5. Why does Hornblower keep a distance from Brest Harbor?
(a) To not scare the French.
(b) To aid in their detection.
(c) To stay away from the reef.
(d) To avoid breaching the treaty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hornblower say goodbye to his new bride?
2. What necessitated the multi-tiered system?
3. How many cannons are on the Loire?
4. How long has Hornblower been away from sea at the beginning of this book?
5. What is Hornblower's wife's maiden name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bush feel when a French merchant vessel sails by, and why?
2. Why is Hornblower unable to have fresh eggs, and why is this so frustrating to him?
3. What is Hornblower supposed to use any extra money for when he gets to France?
4. What does Hornblower have the Hotspur do after firing on the Loire?
5. How is Hornblower able to be attentive to his wife even though he is to sail away the next day?
6. Why is Grimes so afraid of Hornblower?
7. What does Hornblower try to teach Grimes, and how is this lesson taken?
8. What is Bush disappointed about after the ship-to-shore action?
9. What is Hornblower called to do shortly after his wedding celebration begins?
10. What does Hornblower find when he goes to punish Grimes?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)