|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hornblower talk to Cotard?
(a) He has a place on the next mail ship.
(b) He is close to Cornwallis.
(c) He has worked with Pellew in the past.
(d) He speaks perfect French.
2. With what country was the Peace of Amiens made?
3. What gift does Hornblower get from his wife before he sets sail?
(a) A revolver.
(b) A sword.
(c) A scarf.
(d) Some gloves.
4. Who leads the group of men to the semaphore?
5. What is Hornblower's wife's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lays the priming charge and fuse?
2. What office does Hornblower hold at the beginning of this book?
3. How does Hornblower feel about the man who was too fearful to go with Cotard?
4. How long is Hornblower on the Hotspur before he steps off it for the first time?
5. What is Pellew's first name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hornblower feel about prize money, and how does he communicate this?
2. How is Hornblower as the most junior leader is treated when he dines with the other leaders?
3. What was the damage caused by the ship-to-shore action?
4. What is the semaphore?
5. What does Hornblower do before opening his commands from Cornwallis?
6. What does Hornblower do during the ship-to-shore action?
7. How does Bush feel when a French merchant vessel sails by, and why?
8. What does Hornblower do when he sees a French fisherman?
9. What is Bush disappointed about after the ship-to-shore action?
10. How does Bush feel when Hornblower knows all about the Loire in the Brest harbor?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)