|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two characters attempt to analyze Maga in Chapter 142?
2. According to Pola in Chapter 64, what happens to everything Horacio touches?
3. Where do Horacio and his sister decide to stay in the dream in Chapter 123?
4. What group of people do Horacio and Etienne watch while they wait to see Morelli in Chapter 155?
5. What does Horacio do between Chapters 56 and 135?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the prose style of Chapter 34 unusual?
2. How does the novel end?
3. In Chapter 56, how does Horacio protect himself after he kisses Talita?
4. What dream does Horacio have in Chapter 123, and what does Etienne take from it?
5. What is Horacio's state of mind in this section?
6. Describe Manolo and Talia Traveler's lives in Buenos Aires.
7. How is Traveler affected by Horacio in this section?
8. What is revealed in the tape recording of Chapter 47?
9. What task does Morelli give Horacio and Etienne in Chapter 154?
10. How does the Serpent Club's final gathering end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel of HOPSCOTCH consists of three books: two main narrative books and one compilation of chapters sometimes called "expendable." Write an essay about these expendable chapters, what they contain, and how reading them is essential to understanding the full narrative of the novel. Focus on three components of the story that only appear in the third book. What does having this information do to inform what is told in the first two books? Which characters does it illuminate? Why do you think this only exists in expendable chapters?
Part 1) The affair with Pola.
Part 2) Morelliana
Part 3) The hospital meeting with Morelli
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the Serpent Club as a collective. Begin the essay by assessing that the Club wants to achieve with its debates, texts, and listening sessions? Who among them typifies this desire? Who is often ostracized in the search for this intellectual extreme? In the second half of the essay, discuss how the Club fails in this pursuit. Describe the last meeting the Club has and analyze what causes them to turn on each other. What have they lost over the course of the first book of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
HOPSCOTCH as a symbol figures into the novel in several different ways. Write an essay about the use of hopscotch as a literary device, focusing on three different uses of it in the novel?
Part 1) How does the title of the novel indicate an unorthodox way of reading it? Write a paragraph describing the table of instructions provided the reader and how it affects the reading of the novel. To what extent is the reader hopscotching when reading the text?
Part 2) At the end of Book 1, as Horacio is losing his mind and getting arrested in Paris, he begins to ruminate on the game of hopscotch. What does the game become a metaphor for in this rumination? How is this metaphor related to the early purposes of the game of hopscotch?
Part 3) Late in the novel, any reference to hopscotch indicates a loss of sanity on the part of the narrator. Write a summation essay about such references. Who is actually playing hopscotch, and how does Horacio lose grasp of this person's identity when he sees them playing?
This section contains 1,174 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)