|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is La Maga doing in Paris, according to Chapter 35?
2. In Chapter 87, a number by what musician is discussed?
3. What sin does Ossip accuse Horacio of in Chapter 31?
4. What is Chapter 47 supposed to be?
5. What does Horacio assure Maga regarding Pola in Chapter 108?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Traveler's codependency with Horacio manifest itself in this section?
2. Who is Pola, and how does she know Horacio?
3. How do Traveler and Horacio put Talita in a ridiculous position in Chapter 41?
4. How does the novel end?
5. How is Traveler affected by Horacio in this section?
6. What two meanings of the term hopscotch appear in the first book?
7. What task does Morelli give Horacio and Etienne in Chapter 154?
8. How does Horacio settle in Buenos Aires in this section?
9. What indiscretion does Horacio commit in Chapter 54?
10. What is Horacio's state of mind in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An emotional change occurs in Horacio between the death of Rocamadour and Horacio's arrival in Buenos Aires. He tells Ossip he wants anonymity and develops a plan for his relationship with the Travelers. Write an essay about this shift from sensation to observation in Horacio. What does he want from Manu and Talita, and how does he go about getting it? Whom does he have to use in the process? Discuss how this attempt at dispassion eventually pushes him into a sort of madness. What is Cortazar saying about the need to express emotion, no matter how painful?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the character of Rocamadour, La Maga's child. Begin by discussing his origins and his life after Maga comes to Europe. To what extent does Maga attempt to rid herself of the burden of raising him? What eventually brings him back to her? After analyzing Rocamadour's progress as a character, discuss his importance to the author. Does he function more as a character or a tool for driving story? How does his death affect everything that follows? Is the child mentioned after Horacio leaves Paris?
Essay Topic 3
The novel of HOPSCOTCH consists of three books: two main narrative books and one compilation of chapters sometimes called "expendable." Write an essay about these expendable chapters, what they contain, and how reading them is essential to understanding the full narrative of the novel. Focus on three components of the story that only appear in the third book. What does having this information do to inform what is told in the first two books? Which characters does it illuminate? Why do you think this only exists in expendable chapters?
Part 1) The affair with Pola.
Part 2) Morelliana
Part 3) The hospital meeting with Morelli
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)