|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 122, what does Etienne suggest is at the heart of his recent vivid dreams?
2. Against whom is the polemic of Chapter 89?
3. Why does Horacio decide to move in with Gekrepten in Chapter 78?
4. In Chapter 56, what does Traveler say he is surprised Horacio has not done?
5. In Chapter 78, what is Horacio convinced about the Travelers' marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the argument that Ossip and Horacio have in this section.
2. What indiscretion does Horacio commit in Chapter 54?
3. What do Ronald and Etienne discuss in Chapter 142?
4. Describe Manolo and Talia Traveler's lives in Buenos Aires.
5. How does the novel end?
6. What cold comfort does Horacio offer La Maga in Chapter 108?
7. How does Horacio get arrested at the Ponts des Arts in Chapter 36?
8. What is revolutionary about Morelli's forthcoming book?
9. Who is Pola, and how does she know Horacio?
10. What is revealed in the tape recording of Chapter 47?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fictional guru of Cortazar's Hopscotch is the iconoclast writer Morelli. Morelli at once represents a lofty literary ideal and stands in for Cortazar himself. Write an essay about the character of Morelli, focusing on three parts:
Part 1) Most of Morelli's texts have to do with destroying old literary conventions rather than creating new ones. What conventions does he most pointedly insist be destroyed? Why does he dislike them so intently? How does he think they mar literature?
Part 2) Morelli speaks often in the novel about literature being a surrogate experience. What does this mean? How does Morelli want the reader to relate to the novel? What particularly provocative ideas does Morelli have for achieving this?
Part 3) How is Morelli a fictional stand-in for Julio Cortazar? How are Cortazar's ideas similar to Morelli's? To what extent is Morelli, when the reader meets him in the expendable chapters, writing the novel HOPSCOTCH?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about Manolo Traveler. What does he want out of life, and how does his position at the circus and in the community make this impossible? What does he fear regarding his marriage with Talita? Write an analysis of the delicate connection to happiness Manu has in his life and how how the destructive arrival of Horacio seems the imperil his very life. In the end, Talita thinks the madness brought by Horacio makes the marriage stronger. Why is this?
Essay Topic 3
An emotional change occurs in Horacio between the death of Rocamadour and Horacio's arrival in Buenos Aires. He tells Ossip he wants anonymity and develops a plan for his relationship with the Travelers. Write an essay about this shift from sensation to observation in Horacio. What does he want from Manu and Talita, and how does he go about getting it? Whom does he have to use in the process? Discuss how this attempt at dispassion eventually pushes him into a sort of madness. What is Cortazar saying about the need to express emotion, no matter how painful?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)