|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Horacio's philosophical goal in Paris?
(a) Disproving Hegel.
(b) Living a free existence.
(c) Discovering a unifying force in life.
(d) Showing that there is no single dialectic.
2. On what abstract idea does Horacio ruminate for most of Chapter 3?
3. At the end of Chapter 24, what does Maga say she does not want to do with Rocamadour?
(a) Send him back to the country.
(b) Take him to a hospital.
(c) Feed him.
(d) Hold him.
4. What casual act of brutality does Ireneo commit in Chapter 120?
(a) He beats up a crippled boy.
(b) He kicks a dog.
(c) He feeds a worm to a group of ants.
(d) He sets fire to a shanty in Montenegro.
5. Who is the narrator of Chapter 93?
(d) La Maga.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the point of view change in Chapter 3?
2. How does Ossip respond to Maga's simple question in Chapter 25?
3. Who does Horacio quote in Chapter 116?
4. In Chapter 2, where does Rocamadour live before coming to live with Horacio and Maga?
5. In Chapter 6, Horacio is amazed by La Maga's disdain for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Maga and Horacio view the meaning of their precarious dates differently in Chapter 6?
2. What is the Club's Principle problem with the theories of Morelli, as stated in Chapter 141?
3. Describe Ossip Gregorovius.
4. Why does Horacio become resentful of La Maga in Chapter 12?
5. Why does Horacio get slapped by Bertha Trepat in Chapter 23?
6. When does Chapter 7 appear to take place, and why?
7. How is the reader made aware of Rocamadour's death in Chapter 28?
8. How does Horacio meet Berthe Trepat?
9. Why does La Maga feel responsible for Pola's death in Chapter 27?
10. In Chapter 115, what surrogate experience does Morelli describe?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)