|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who joins Horacio in visiting the old writer at Necker Hospital in Chapter 155?
(a) Etienne and Perico.
(b) Etienne, Ossip, and Perico.
(c) Only Etienne.
(d) Ossip and Ronald.
2. Which character offers a rambling defense of Morelli's methods in Chapter 99?
3. What task is Horacio undertaking at the beginning of Chapter 41?
(a) Washing shirts.
(b) Sanding the floor.
(d) Straightening nails.
4. Why is Horacio terrified in his dream in Chapter 132?
(a) Ossip is making love to Maga.
(b) He has been banished from the cafes of Paris.
(c) Pola has returned to him from the dead.
(d) He cannot find Maga.
5. What does Horacio do between Chapters 56 and 135?
(a) He marries Gekrepten.
(b) He gets in a fight with Traveler.
(c) He leaves Buenos Aires.
(d) He jumps from his window.
6. According to Pola in Chapter 64, what happens to everything Horacio touches?
(a) It turns evil.
(b) It feels better.
(c) It dies.
(d) It becomes dull.
7. What is interspersed with the lines of Maga's book in Chapter 34?
(a) A second novel.
(b) A poem she wrote.
(c) A series of notes made by Ossip.
(d) Horacio's thoughts.
8. Why does Talita wake up in Chapter 45?
(a) A noise outside wakes her.
(b) Her alarm goes off.
(c) She has a nightmare.
(d) Traveler wakes her.
9. What does Horacio spread on the ground to protect him from Traveler in Chapter 56?
(d) Ball bearings.
10. What is La Maga doing in Paris, according to Chapter 35?
(a) Living under a bridge.
(b) Attending to the dying Pola.
(c) Working as a prostitute.
(d) Confined in an asylum.
11. What is revolutionary about the novel Morelli is writing in Chapter 154?
(a) It can be read in any order.
(b) It contains no characters.
(c) It is over 4,000 pages long.
(d) It is written in a made-up language.
12. What sin does Ossip accuse Horacio of in Chapter 31?
13. The commentator in Chapter 147 says that what curtails human freedom?
(a) Marriage laws.
(b) Christian dialectics.
(d) Social mores.
14. What type of circus attraction does Manolo Traveler manage?
(a) A dog that talks.
(b) A tiger that dances.
(c) A cat that counts.
(d) A spider that knits.
15. What is the topic of the letter in the Observer in Chapter 146?
(c) Show horses.
(d) Modern literature.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Emanuele?
2. Which of the following is not a topic upon which Morelli expounds in Chapter 154?
3. Where is Horacio at the very end of the first book?
4. According to Morelli in Chapter 94, what is happening to his work?
5. In Chapter 87, a number by what musician is discussed?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)