|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Horacio in Chapter 124, what generally happens to Morelli's characters?
(a) They die.
(c) They are thwarted in their attempts at love.
(d) They argue with the narrator.
2. Which philosopher does Horacio cite in his ruminations of Chapter 3?
3. By what controversial French thinker is the quote is Chapter 136?
(a) Charles de Gaulle.
(b) Jean Dubuffet.
(c) The Marquis de Sade.
(d) George Bataille.
4. What does the old man who lives above La Maga do that annoys her?
(a) Bangs on the floor.
(b) Coughs incessantly.
(c) Cooks smelly food.
(d) Listens to the radio too loud.
5. Which of the following names does not appear on Morelli's list of acknowledgments in Chapter 60?
6. Which of the following characters stays with Maga at the end of Chapter 28?
7. Over time, what does La Maga fantasize Horacio will do during sex?
(a) Say he loves her.
(b) Tie her up.
(c) Kill her.
8. In Chapter 62, Morelli says he has done away with what in his characters?
(d) Psychological reasoning.
9. How does Ossip respond to Maga's simple question in Chapter 25?
(a) He sighs.
(b) He ignores her.
(c) He laughs.
(d) He kisses her.
10. In Chapter 74, Morelli says that the true nonconformist is only concerned with what to things?
(a) Minutia and grand ideas.
(b) Freedom is self and freedom of society.
(c) Life and death.
(d) Love and hate.
11. Why is the Serpent Club often annoyed with La Maga?
(a) She does not know the texts they discuss.
(b) She is keeping Horacio away from them.
(c) Her English and French are poor.
(d) She dozes off during their debates.
12. In Chapter 7, what part of La Maga is Horacio sketching with his finger?
(a) Her mouth.
(b) Her breast.
(c) Her eyes.
(d) Her hand.
13. Who arrives with news of Guy Monod's suicide attempt in Chapter 28?
(c) Babs and Ronald.
14. What famous American litigator is quoted in Chapter 117?
(a) John Jay.
(b) William Kunzler.
(c) William Jennings Bryant.
(d) Clarence Darrow.
15. What type of garden does the writer in Chapter 134 recommend to beginners?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Horatio and La Maga meet at the beginning of Chapter 6?
2. What is Horacio's philosophical goal in Paris?
3. Between which two disciplines do Etienne and Horacio argue regarding conveyance of truth in Chapter 9?
4. What does Horacio do when Maga starts crying in Chapter 12?
5. In Chapter 137, what does Morelli exhort writers never to do in their work?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)