|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Over time, what does La Maga fantasize Horacio will do during sex?
(a) Tie her up.
(c) Say he loves her.
(d) Kill her.
2. Who is playing in Chapter 13?
(a) Miles Davis.
(b) John Coltrane.
(d) Bessie Coleman.
3. Between which two disciplines do Etienne and Horacio argue regarding conveyance of truth in Chapter 9?
(a) Art and literature.
(b) Music and literature.
(c) Art and philosophy.
(d) Philosophy and music.
4. According to Horacio, what is the only time that dialectical thought is useful?
(a) In times of calm.
(b) After a great cataclysm.
(c) In Socretes' time.
(d) In school.
5. What do Ossip, Maga, and Horacio drink in Chapter 28?
6. Where is Guy Monod's mistress from?
7. What type of garden does the writer in Chapter 134 recommend to beginners?
8. According to La Maga at the end of Chapter 3, how does Horacio relate to life?
(a) He ignores it like a fly.
(b) He observes it like a painting.
(c) He lives it like a mushroom.
(d) He studies it like a text.
9. Where does Chapter 143 take place?
(a) Buenos Aires.
10. What is the profession of the man who is hit by a car in Chapter 21?
11. Why does Rocamadour move in with Maga and Horacio in Chapter 19?
(a) He must attend school.
(b) He has a bad fever.
(c) The old woman in the country dies.
(d) Maga misses him.
12. How does Ossip describe himself in Chapter 24?
(a) An explorer.
(b) A voyeur.
(c) An intellect.
(d) A lover.
13. Who arrives at Maga's flat with news that Guy Monod is not dead in Chapter 28?
14. What does the old man who lives above La Maga do that annoys her?
(a) Coughs incessantly.
(b) Cooks smelly food.
(c) Listens to the radio too loud.
(d) Bangs on the floor.
15. In Chapter 141, the Club offers what complaint about Morelli as a theorist?
(a) He has never produced a full novel.
(b) He offers no new ideas to replace the old.
(c) He detests women.
(d) He dismisses all of the old canon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does one vendor in Chapter 8 warn Horacio and Maga will kill his fish?
2. How is Ossip occupied in Chapter 11?
3. In Chapter 71, Morelli argues that man can achieve nothing by looking to where?
4. According to Ossip in Chapter 26, what is Paris?
5. What political movement is Etienne working with in Chapter 90?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)