|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Max is questioning Teddy about when he plans to leave, how does Lenny interact with Ruth?
2. What does Max say about whether or not he followed his father's wishes?
3. What does Teddy tell Max about his life with Ruth?
4. What happens to the person who tries to help Joey after Max has hit him in the stomach?
5. The first time Max meets Ruth, what doe Teddy tell Max about her?
Essay Topic 1
Teddy wants his family's respect, however, he fails to stand up for himself as a husband. What explanation can be given for the way he simply stands by and lets Ruth be convinced to stay with his family? What, if anything, does Teddy do to try to get Ruth to leave with him? What does this say about Teddy and Ruth's relationship? What does it say about their character?
Essay Topic 2
When Ruth first arrives at the family home, she is nearly silent. By the end of the play, she has become the dominant figure. In what specific ways has Ruth changed and what specific reasons do you think account for her change?
Essay Topic 3
Max shows disappointment with his sons. Discuss how Max demonstrates this disappointment, giving specific examples for Lenny, Joey, and Teddy. For what reasons do you think that Max is so clearly disappointed with each of his sons? Comment on whether you think his disappointment in any of his sons is warranted and explain why or why not.
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)