|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two characters have been out working when the play begins but come home before Ruth and Teddy arrive?
2. After she has gotten up off the floor, what does Ruth ask Teddy?
3. When Ruth says she was different before she and Teddy were married, what does Teddy say.?
4. Ruth reveals to Lenny that she was born where?
5. When Joey, Max, and Lenny return home from the gym on the afternoon of the second day, what does Joey do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Max's initial reaction to Ruth.
2. Why does Max hit Joey?
3. What argument do Max and Joey have at the beginning of the Act 1, Scene 3?
4. What comparison does Ruth make when referring to the relationship between words and actions?
5. By the end of the first act, which characters has Max abused both verbally and physically?
6. What does Joey do in his uncle's defense when Max criticizes Sam?
7. What did Ruth say she did for a living before she was married?
8. According to Max, what did his father ask him to do when he was dying?
9. For what does Max criticize Sam when Sam is in the kitchen?
10. In what ways does Max compare his father with Sam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Ruth first arrives at the family home, she is nearly silent. By the end of the play, she has become the dominant figure. In what specific ways has Ruth changed and what specific reasons do you think account for her change?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the ending of the play in terms of what it means for Max, for Ruth, and for the future of each of the characters in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character of Sam, giving several examples which exemplifies why, although he is a symbol of goodness in the play, he is so ineffective at trying to mediate when it comes to family squabbles.
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)