|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Max compare Sam?
2. In reminiscing after lunch, what does Max refer to Jessie as?
3. The first time Max meets Ruth, what doe Teddy tell Max about her?
4. After Sam leaves for work, what comment does Max make to Teddy about his wedding?
5. After Max recovers from his collapse, what does he ask Ruth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Teddy's response to Ruth's question about whether the family has read any of his works?
2. By the end of the first act, which characters has Max not physically or verbally abused?
3. What does Max tell Teddy about Teddy and Ruth's wedding?
4. When Teddy and Ruth come downstairs and surprise Max, what is the first thing he wants to know?
5. What word does Teddy used to describe the members of his family?
6. What argument do Max and Joey have at the beginning of the Act 1, Scene 3?
7. By the end of the first act, which characters has Max abused both verbally and physically?
8. What similarity is there between Teddy and Ruth's family and Max and Jessie's family?
9. What kinds of demands does Ruth make on the brothers?
10. Act One, scene 3 begins the morning after Teddy and Ruth have arrived; what characters have not yet met Ruth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the importance of foreshadowing in the play, giving several examples of how the technique is used effectively.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the character of Sam, giving several examples which exemplifies why, although he is a symbol of goodness in the play, he is so ineffective at trying to mediate when it comes to family squabbles.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Max and Sam, two brothers who seem to represent totally opposite values. Include specific examples of their differences and their attitudes toward each other.
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)