|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After questioning Teddy , what does Max say about Ruth?
2. What is Sam doing in the kitchen during Max's and Joey's discussion about going out together?
3. When Max asks Teddy if he wants to cuddle and kiss his father, what does Max tell the rest of the family about Teddy?
4. After Ruth falls onto the floor, what does she ask for?
5. Why does Max collapse after he verbally abuses Ruth for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of demands does Ruth make on the brothers?
2. Why does Max hit Joey?
3. As Act Two opens, what positive and negative comments does Max make about his late wife?
4. What violent action does Max take against Sam?
5. What argument do Max and Joey have at the beginning of the Act 1, Scene 3?
6. According to Max, what did his father ask him to do when he was dying?
7. What word does Teddy used to describe the members of his family?
8. What kind of response does Teddy make to his brothers' caressing Ruth?
9. What is Ruth's response to Teddy's urging her to pack up and go home with him?
10. What did Ruth say she did for a living before she was married?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Max and Sam, two brothers who seem to represent totally opposite values. Include specific examples of their differences and their attitudes toward each other.
Essay Topic 2
When Ruth first arrives at the family home, she is nearly silent. By the end of the play, she has become the dominant figure. In what specific ways has Ruth changed and what specific reasons do you think account for her change?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Ruth and Jessie, particularly in respect to Max's varying attitude toward each woman.
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)