|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two characters are up early the next morning at the opening of Act I, Scene 3?
2. In reminiscing after lunch, what does Max refer to Jessie as?
3. What comparison does Ruth use in her discussion with Lenny after Teddy has been mocked by Lenny?
4. While Max is questioning Teddy about when he plans to leave, how does Lenny interact with Ruth?
5. Which two characters have been out working when the play begins but come home before Ruth and Teddy arrive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ruth say she did for a living before she was married?
2. What does Joey do in his uncle's defense when Max criticizes Sam?
3. What comparison does Ruth make when referring to the relationship between words and actions?
4. What does Max tell Teddy about Teddy and Ruth's wedding?
5. What word does Teddy used to describe the members of his family?
6. For what does Max criticize Sam when Sam is in the kitchen?
7. What kind of response does Teddy make to his brothers' caressing Ruth?
8. When Teddy and Ruth come downstairs and surprise Max, what is the first thing he wants to know?
9. What does Teddy tell Max about his family life with Ruth?
10. As Act Two opens, what positive and negative comments does Max make about his late wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The subject of prostitution comes up several times during the play. Give at least two examples and explain what larger implication this subject carries.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of rejection in the play. Include examples of the way at least four characters experience rejection or reject another character.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Max and Sam, two brothers who seem to represent totally opposite values. Include specific examples of their differences and their attitudes toward each other.
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)