|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Max say about whether or not he followed his father's wishes?
2. When Ruth says she was different before she and Teddy were married, what does Teddy say.?
3. When Teddy and Ruth come downstairs and Max sees them for the first time, what does he want to know?
4. On the morning after Teddy and Ruth's arrival, what does Max invite Joey to do in the afternoon?
5. While Max is questioning Teddy about when he plans to leave, how does Joey interact with Ruth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Teddy tell Max about his family life with Ruth?
2. What did Ruth say she did for a living before she was married?
3. What comparison does Ruth make when referring to the relationship between words and actions?
4. What does Joey do in his uncle's defense when Max criticizes Sam?
5. By the end of the first act, which characters has Max abused both verbally and physically?
6. Why does Max hit Joey?
7. As Act Two opens, what positive and negative comments does Max make about his late wife?
8. By the end of the first act, which characters has Max not physically or verbally abused?
9. What kind of response does Teddy make to his brothers' caressing Ruth?
10. What kinds of demands does Ruth make on the brothers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Max and Sam, two brothers who seem to represent totally opposite values. Include specific examples of their differences and their attitudes toward each other.
Essay Topic 2
Although Max is a poor example of a father, he seems to know what a father should be. Discuss some specific examples of his fathering skills and explain what proof exists in the play that he seems to understand what makes for a good father. Why do you think Max chooses to father in the way he does? Give examples from the play back up your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Max shows disappointment with his sons. Discuss how Max demonstrates this disappointment, giving specific examples for Lenny, Joey, and Teddy. For what reasons do you think that Max is so clearly disappointed with each of his sons? Comment on whether you think his disappointment in any of his sons is warranted and explain why or why not.
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)