|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Just after Teddy comes downstairs on the afternoon of their second day at the house, what do Lenny and Ruth do as Teddy watches?
2. What does Max do to Sam when Sam tries to help Max after he collapses?
3. As Lenny joins the conversation that Ruth, Lenny, and Teddy have been engaged in after lunch, what subject does Lenny ask Teddy about?
4. After the conversation with Ruth in which he asks her to go home with him, what does Teddy do?
5. After Max recovers from his collapse, what does he ask Ruth?
Essay Topic 1
Although Max is a poor example of a father, he seems to know what a father should be. Discuss some specific examples of his fathering skills and explain what proof exists in the play that he seems to understand what makes for a good father. Why do you think Max chooses to father in the way he does? Give examples from the play back up your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the relationship between Teddy and Ruth. Explain what evidence exists which shows care and concern on the part of either or both characters. Discuss the conflicts evident in their marriage and the consequence of those conflicts.
Essay Topic 3
When Ruth first arrives at the family home, she is nearly silent. By the end of the play, she has become the dominant figure. In what specific ways has Ruth changed and what specific reasons do you think account for her change?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)