|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of response does Max get from the family to his question about the surprising appearance of his son and a woman Max does not know, suddenly standing in his living room?
2. According to Max, what made Sam a bad son?
3. When Ruth says she was different before she and Teddy were married, what does Teddy say.?
4. After she has gotten up off the floor, what does Ruth ask Teddy?
5. Which two characters have been out working when the play begins but come home before Ruth and Teddy arrive?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Act Two opens, what positive and negative comments does Max make about his late wife?
2. For what does Max criticize Sam when Sam is in the kitchen?
3. According to Max, what did his father ask him to do when he was dying?
4. What comparison does Ruth make when referring to the relationship between words and actions?
5. What similarity is there between Teddy and Ruth's family and Max and Jessie's family?
6. Why does Max hit Joey?
7. What did Ruth say she did for a living before she was married?
8. What word does Teddy used to describe the members of his family?
9. What kinds of demands does Ruth make on the brothers?
10. Act One, scene 3 begins the morning after Teddy and Ruth have arrived; what characters have not yet met Ruth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the relationship between Teddy and Ruth. Explain what evidence exists which shows care and concern on the part of either or both characters. Discuss the conflicts evident in their marriage and the consequence of those conflicts.
Essay Topic 2
Max shows disappointment with his sons. Discuss how Max demonstrates this disappointment, giving specific examples for Lenny, Joey, and Teddy. For what reasons do you think that Max is so clearly disappointed with each of his sons? Comment on whether you think his disappointment in any of his sons is warranted and explain why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of rejection in the play. Include examples of the way at least four characters experience rejection or reject another character.
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)