|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ruth's response when Teddy asks her to go home?
2. How many children does Ruth have?
3. What does Joey say when Max tells him that he will have time to do what he needs to do and still be able to go with Max?
4. After chastising Teddy for bringing Ruth into his house, who does Max ask to throw Ruth and Teddy out?
5. Why does Max collapse after he verbally abuses Ruth for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the ending of the play in terms of what it means for Max, for Ruth, and for the future of each of the characters in the play.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Ruth and Jessie, particularly in respect to Max's varying attitude toward each woman.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character of Sam, giving several examples which exemplifies why, although he is a symbol of goodness in the play, he is so ineffective at trying to mediate when it comes to family squabbles.
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)