|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Sam comes in from the kitchen, what emotion of Sam's does Max say he doesn't understand?
2. When Teddy comes downstairs after his father and brothers have come home from the gym, what does Max ask him?
3. How many women appear onstage in the play?
4. After Ruth falls onto the floor, what does she ask for?
5. Ruth reveals to Lenny that she was born where?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character of Sam, giving several examples which exemplifies why, although he is a symbol of goodness in the play, he is so ineffective at trying to mediate when it comes to family squabbles.
Essay Topic 2
Max shows disappointment with his sons. Discuss how Max demonstrates this disappointment, giving specific examples for Lenny, Joey, and Teddy. For what reasons do you think that Max is so clearly disappointed with each of his sons? Comment on whether you think his disappointment in any of his sons is warranted and explain why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the ending of the play in terms of what it means for Max, for Ruth, and for the future of each of the characters in the play.
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)