|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between the two characters who are up early at the beginning of Act I, Scene 3?
2. What kind of response does Max get from the family to his question about the surprising appearance of his son and a woman Max does not know, suddenly standing in his living room?
3. When Max asks Teddy if he wants to cuddle and kiss his father, what does Max tell the rest of the family about Teddy?
4. What is Ruth's response when Teddy asks her to go home?
5. When Ruth says she was different before she and Teddy were married, what does Teddy say.?
Short Essay Questions
1. What argument do Max and Joey have at the beginning of the Act 1, Scene 3?
2. By the end of the first act, which characters has Max abused both verbally and physically?
3. What similarity is there between Teddy and Ruth's family and Max and Jessie's family?
4. Describe Max's initial reaction to Ruth.
5. What does Max tell Teddy about Teddy and Ruth's wedding?
6. What violent action does Max take against Sam?
7. What kinds of demands does Ruth make on the brothers?
8. What does Joey do in his uncle's defense when Max criticizes Sam?
9. What kind of response does Teddy make to his brothers' caressing Ruth?
10. What word does Teddy used to describe the members of his family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the ending of the play in terms of what it means for Max, for Ruth, and for the future of each of the characters in the play.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Ruth and Jessie, particularly in respect to Max's varying attitude toward each woman.
Essay Topic 3
The subject of prostitution comes up several times during the play. Give at least two examples and explain what larger implication this subject carries.
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)