|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Max sees Ruth for the first time, what does he ask Teddy?
2. What does Sam do when Max collapses after verbally abusing Ruth?
3. After he reminisces, what does Max ask Sam?
4. On the morning after Teddy and Ruth's arrival, what does Max invite Joey to do in the afternoon?
5. Which two characters have been out working when the play begins but come home before Ruth and Teddy arrive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comparison does Ruth make when referring to the relationship between words and actions?
2. By the end of the first act, which characters has Max abused both verbally and physically?
3. As Act Two opens, what positive and negative comments does Max make about his late wife?
4. What does Teddy tell Max about his family life with Ruth?
5. What word does Teddy used to describe the members of his family?
6. What kind of response does Teddy make to his brothers' caressing Ruth?
7. What is Teddy's response to Ruth's question about whether the family has read any of his works?
8. What does Max tell Teddy about Teddy and Ruth's wedding?
9. According to Teddy, how is Ruth different since their marriage?
10. Act One, scene 3 begins the morning after Teddy and Ruth have arrived; what characters have not yet met Ruth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is evident that Max Joey, and Lenny have little respect for women. Give several examples of how this lack of respect is demonstrated in the play, including examples of how each of the three men speak about and to Ruth disrespectfully as well as specific instances when they show disrespect through their actions.
Essay Topic 2
Although Max is a poor example of a father, he seems to know what a father should be. Discuss some specific examples of his fathering skills and explain what proof exists in the play that he seems to understand what makes for a good father. Why do you think Max chooses to father in the way he does? Give examples from the play back up your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of rejection in the play. Include examples of the way at least four characters experience rejection or reject another character.
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)