|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he first arrives home, what does Teddy find out about his room?
2. In his first appearance in the play, Joey comes home and immediately asks a question about what?
3. At the end of the first scene, what does Max reveal about MacGregor?
4. What is Sam's job?
5. Who, instead of Max, does Lenny say he should have asked for an answer to a question that's been bothering him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which characters, although not seen onstage, are mentioned frequently throughout the play, and how is each related to Max?
2. Describe Max's attitude toward his brother Sam.
3. Why does Lenny say he is angry at Ruth for calling him by his full name, Leonard?
4. Max threatens violence toward his son Lenny at different points in the play; give one example.
5. What evidence do we have that Max dominates his brother Sam, as well as his own sons?
6. During the argument over the glass of water, what does Ruth dare Lenny to do?
7. Explain how Sam feels about his performance at work.
8. Who is Jessie and what do we learn about her at the beginning of the play?
9. What story Lenny tells Ruth after he has asked to hold her hand?
10. When Lenny first greets his brother, why does the conversation involve a clock?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Max shows disappointment with his sons. Discuss how Max demonstrates this disappointment, giving specific examples for Lenny, Joey, and Teddy. For what reasons do you think that Max is so clearly disappointed with each of his sons? Comment on whether you think his disappointment in any of his sons is warranted and explain why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Although Max is a poor example of a father, he seems to know what a father should be. Discuss some specific examples of his fathering skills and explain what proof exists in the play that he seems to understand what makes for a good father. Why do you think Max chooses to father in the way he does? Give examples from the play back up your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the occupations of Max, Sam, Teddy, and Joey. Explain why the playwright might have chosen those particular occupations.
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)