|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occupation does Lenny tell Ruth he's always imagined for himself?
2. After Sam reminds Max that he took Jessie out in a limo because he was taking care of her, what does Max call Sam?
3. What does Max tell Lenny to stop?
4. What does Max want Sam to do when Joey goes upstairs?
5. When he first appears in the play, Max enters the living room and is looking for a scissor for what reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lenny say he is angry at Ruth for calling him by his full name, Leonard?
2. What does Max mean when he uses the phrase "one flow of stinking pus after another?"
3. What conflicting information does Max give about MacGregor (his father)?
4. What does Max say about his understanding of female horses?
5. Throughout the play, Max verbally abuses his son Joey; give an example of this verbal abuse.
6. During the argument over the glass of water, what does Ruth dare Lenny to do?
7. What evidence do we have that Max dominates his brother Sam, as well as his own sons?
8. What story Lenny tells Ruth after he has asked to hold her hand?
9. Which characters, although not seen onstage, are mentioned frequently throughout the play, and how is each related to Max?
10. Who is Jessie and what do we learn about her at the beginning of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the occupations of Max, Sam, Teddy, and Joey. Explain why the playwright might have chosen those particular occupations.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the ending of the play in terms of what it means for Max, for Ruth, and for the future of each of the characters in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Max and Sam, two brothers who seem to represent totally opposite values. Include specific examples of their differences and their attitudes toward each other.
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)