|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Teddy and Ruth related to Max?
2. How does Max taunt Joey?
3. What does Max say he could instinctively know?
4. What does Lenny give Ruth after Teddy goes upstairs?
5. What do Lenny and Ruth argue about?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Teddy arrives at his family's home, what does he find unchanged?
2. How does Max respond to Lenny's question about his conception?
3. Which characters, although not seen onstage, are mentioned frequently throughout the play, and how is each related to Max?
4. During the argument over the glass of water, what does Ruth dare Lenny to do?
5. When Lenny first greets his brother, why does the conversation involve a clock?
6. What is the relationship between Max and Rose and what two other characters have the same relationship?
7. What does Max say about his understanding of female horses?
8. What story Lenny tells Ruth after he has asked to hold her hand?
9. After Lenny tells Ruth the story about a violent act he once committed, what story does he then tell Ruth about about an old woman?
10. What does Max mean when he uses the phrase "one flow of stinking pus after another?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the occupations of Max, Sam, Teddy, and Joey. Explain why the playwright might have chosen those particular occupations.
Essay Topic 2
It is evident that Max Joey, and Lenny have little respect for women. Give several examples of how this lack of respect is demonstrated in the play, including examples of how each of the three men speak about and to Ruth disrespectfully as well as specific instances when they show disrespect through their actions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the shocking information Sam reveals near the end of the play and explain the implications of what he tells the family. Explain what evidence there is in the play that Max may have already known this information.
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)