|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before he comes home, where has Joey been?
2. What complaint does Max have about his sons?
3. After Sam reminds Max that he took Jessie out in a limo because he was taking care of her, what does Max call Sam?
4. Which character has been on stage all through the first scene of the play?
5. Why does Max say that when Sam gets married, he should bring his bride home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Max's attitude toward his brother Sam.
2. What does Max mean when he uses the phrase "one flow of stinking pus after another?"
3. How does Max respond to Lenny's question about his conception?
4. What does Lenny ask his father about the night he was conceived?
5. What conflicting information does Max give about MacGregor (his father)?
6. After Lenny tells Ruth the story about a violent act he once committed, what story does he then tell Ruth about about an old woman?
7. What evidence do we have that Max dominates his brother Sam, as well as his own sons?
8. Throughout the play, Max verbally abuses his son Joey; give an example of this verbal abuse.
9. What is the relationship between Max and Rose and what two other characters have the same relationship?
10. Why does Lenny say he is angry at Ruth for calling him by his full name, Leonard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Max shows disappointment with his sons. Discuss how Max demonstrates this disappointment, giving specific examples for Lenny, Joey, and Teddy. For what reasons do you think that Max is so clearly disappointed with each of his sons? Comment on whether you think his disappointment in any of his sons is warranted and explain why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
In your opinion, which character is in the best position to make positive changes in the family's dynamics? Explain why you have chosen this character and what specifically you think this character could possibly do to bring about some change.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Max and Sam, two brothers who seem to represent totally opposite values. Include specific examples of their differences and their attitudes toward each other.
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)