|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Max give for Sam having never married?
2. What does Max say he could instinctively know?
3. After Sam reminds Max that he took Jessie out in a limo because he was taking care of her, what does Max call Sam?
4. Where does Lenny tell Ruth he thinks Teddy has been?
5. How does Max respond to Lenny's question right after Max wakes up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lenny ask his father about the night he was conceived?
2. What does Lenny propose as a way for Ruth to earn her own money?
3. Describe what happens immediately after Teddy leaves.
4. Lenny says he envies Teddy for what reasons?
5. What violent action does Max take against Sam?
6. According to Teddy, how is Ruth different since their marriage?
7. During the argument over the glass of water, what does Ruth dare Lenny to do?
8. After Lenny tells Ruth the story about a violent act he once committed, what story does he then tell Ruth about about an old woman?
9. What kinds of demands does Ruth make on the brothers?
10. Over what missing object does Lenny pick an argument with Teddy?
Essay Topic 1
Max refers to generations of his family as being "one flow of stinking pus after another." Explain how the characters in "The Homecoming" are part of the circle of violence which has affected three different generations of Max's family. Give specific examples; include at least three characters in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In your opinion, which character is in the best position to make positive changes in the family's dynamics? Explain why you have chosen this character and what specifically you think this character could possibly do to bring about some change.
Essay Topic 3
When Ruth first arrives at the family home, she is nearly silent. By the end of the play, she has become the dominant figure. In what specific ways has Ruth changed and what specific reasons do you think account for her change?
This section contains 1,222 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)