|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Max give for Sam having never married?
2. How does Max taunt Joey?
3. On what subject does Lenny ask Max for advice?
4. What does Lenny tell Ruth about a diseased prostitute?
5. When he first appears in the play, Max enters the living room and is looking for a scissor for what reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Max and Rose and what two other characters have the same relationship?
2. Explain how Sam feels about his performance at work.
3. When Lenny first greets his brother, why does the conversation involve a clock?
4. Describe Max's attitude toward his brother Sam.
5. What does Max say about his understanding of female horses?
6. Why does Lenny say he is angry at Ruth for calling him by his full name, Leonard?
7. The first time Lenny is alone with Ruth, what kinds of personal information does he share with her?
8. Who is Jessie and what do we learn about her at the beginning of the play?
9. "The Homecoming" takes place in an old London house where four men live. Who are these men and how are they related to each other?
10. What conflicting information does Max give about MacGregor (his father)?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Max shows disappointment with his sons. Discuss how Max demonstrates this disappointment, giving specific examples for Lenny, Joey, and Teddy. For what reasons do you think that Max is so clearly disappointed with each of his sons? Comment on whether you think his disappointment in any of his sons is warranted and explain why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Max refers to generations of his family as being "one flow of stinking pus after another." Explain how the characters in "The Homecoming" are part of the circle of violence which has affected three different generations of Max's family. Give specific examples; include at least three characters in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The subject of prostitution comes up several times during the play. Give at least two examples and explain what larger implication this subject carries.
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)