|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lenny ask Ruth to do?
2. Who told Lenny earlier that his father is going to get a surprise in the morning?
3. What does Max describe as "one flow of stinking pus after another?"
4. What does Teddy tell Ruth about the house?
5. In what sport does Joey participate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lenny say he is angry at Ruth for calling him by his full name, Leonard?
2. When Lenny first greets his brother, why does the conversation involve a clock?
3. How does Max respond to Lenny's question about his conception?
4. What does Lenny ask his father about the night he was conceived?
5. Just after they arrive at the house, what does Teddy reassure Ruth about?
6. When Teddy arrives at his family's home, what does he find unchanged?
7. What evidence do we have that Max dominates his brother Sam, as well as his own sons?
8. What is the relationship between Max and Rose and what two other characters have the same relationship?
9. Who is Jessie and what do we learn about her at the beginning of the play?
10. What does Max mean when he uses the phrase "one flow of stinking pus after another?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the shocking information Sam reveals near the end of the play and explain the implications of what he tells the family. Explain what evidence there is in the play that Max may have already known this information.
Essay Topic 2
When Ruth first arrives at the family home, she is nearly silent. By the end of the play, she has become the dominant figure. In what specific ways has Ruth changed and what specific reasons do you think account for her change?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Ruth and Jessie, particularly in respect to Max's varying attitude toward each woman.
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)