|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lenny give Ruth after Teddy goes upstairs?
2. When he first appears in the play, Max enters the living room and is looking for a scissor for what reason?
3. Where does Ruth tell Lenny she and Teddy live?
4. After Sam reminds Max that he took Jessie out in a limo because he was taking care of her, what does Max call Sam?
5. Shortly after his arrival at the family home, what does Teddy offer Ruth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lenny ask his father about the night he was conceived?
2. Contrast the personalities of Max and Sam.
3. What argument do Max and Joey have at the beginning of the Act 1, Scene 3?
4. What does Joey say about his experience in bed with Ruth?
5. Describe Teddy's final exit.
6. What word does Teddy used to describe the members of his family?
7. Throughout the play, Max verbally abuses his son Joey; give an example of this verbal abuse.
8. For what does Max criticize Sam when Sam is in the kitchen?
9. As Teddy prepares to leave at the end of the play, what do he and Sam talk about?
10. Describe Max's attitude toward his brother Sam.
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the ending of the play in terms of what it means for Max, for Ruth, and for the future of each of the characters in the play.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the relationship between Teddy and Ruth. Explain what evidence exists which shows care and concern on the part of either or both characters. Discuss the conflicts evident in their marriage and the consequence of those conflicts.
Essay Topic 3
In your opinion, is the ending of the play a.) satisfactory and b.) plausible? Explain by giving specific examples.
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)