|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lenny want Max to tell him?
2. When he first arrives home, what does Teddy find out about his room?
3. What do Lenny and Ruth argue about?
4. Who, instead of Max, does Lenny say he should have asked for an answer to a question that's been bothering him?
5. Who told Lenny earlier that his father is going to get a surprise in the morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conflicting information does Max give about MacGregor (his father)?
2. During the argument over the glass of water, what does Ruth dare Lenny to do?
3. When Lenny first greets his brother, why does the conversation involve a clock?
4. What does Lenny ask his father about the night he was conceived?
5. Why does Lenny say he is angry at Ruth for calling him by his full name, Leonard?
6. Who is Jessie and what do we learn about her at the beginning of the play?
7. When Teddy arrives at his family's home, what does he find unchanged?
8. Explain how Sam feels about his performance at work.
9. The first time Lenny is alone with Ruth, what kinds of personal information does he share with her?
10. When Max comes downstairs complaining of noise, what kind of an explanation does Lenny give?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The subject of prostitution comes up several times during the play. Give at least two examples and explain what larger implication this subject carries.
Essay Topic 2
When Ruth first arrives at the family home, she is nearly silent. By the end of the play, she has become the dominant figure. In what specific ways has Ruth changed and what specific reasons do you think account for her change?
Essay Topic 3
Max refers to generations of his family as being "one flow of stinking pus after another." Explain how the characters in "The Homecoming" are part of the circle of violence which has affected three different generations of Max's family. Give specific examples; include at least three characters in your answer.
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)