|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Teddy tell Lenny he will be staying?
2. Before he comes home, where has Joey been?
3. How does Sam describe Jessie?
4. When he first appears in the play, Max enters the living room and is looking for a scissor for what reason?
5. What does Lenny say Max used to always like doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Sam feels about his performance at work.
2. Who is Jessie and what do we learn about her at the beginning of the play?
3. What is the relationship between Max and Rose and what two other characters have the same relationship?
4. Describe Max's attitude toward his brother Sam.
5. What does Lenny ask his father about the night he was conceived?
6. After Lenny tells Ruth the story about a violent act he once committed, what story does he then tell Ruth about about an old woman?
7. What evidence do we have that Max dominates his brother Sam, as well as his own sons?
8. What does Max mean when he uses the phrase "one flow of stinking pus after another?"
9. Max threatens violence toward his son Lenny at different points in the play; give one example.
10. What does Max say about his understanding of female horses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Ruth first arrives at the family home, she is nearly silent. By the end of the play, she has become the dominant figure. In what specific ways has Ruth changed and what specific reasons do you think account for her change?
Essay Topic 2
In your opinion, is the ending of the play a.) satisfactory and b.) plausible? Explain by giving specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the occupations of Max, Sam, Teddy, and Joey. Explain why the playwright might have chosen those particular occupations.
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)