|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ruth say she and Teddy have been vacationing?
2. How are Teddy and Ruth related to Max?
3. What does Lenny say when Ruth asks how he knew the prostitute was diseased?
4. What does Max say he could instinctively know?
5. Why does Max say that when Sam gets married, he should bring his bride home?
Short Essay Questions
1. By the end of the first act, which characters has Max not physically or verbally abused?
2. Why does Max hit Joey?
3. How does Max respond to Lenny's question about his conception?
4. When Max comes downstairs complaining of noise, what kind of an explanation does Lenny give?
5. Why do Joey and Lenny tell Teddy a story about Joey bullying a girl into having sex without a condom?
6. What comparison does Ruth make when referring to the relationship between words and actions?
7. During the argument over the glass of water, what does Ruth dare Lenny to do?
8. What story Lenny tells Ruth after he has asked to hold her hand?
9. When Lenny first greets his brother, why does the conversation involve a clock?
10. What evidence do we have that Max dominates his brother Sam, as well as his own sons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In your opinion, which character is in the best position to make positive changes in the family's dynamics? Explain why you have chosen this character and what specifically you think this character could possibly do to bring about some change.
Essay Topic 2
It is evident that Max Joey, and Lenny have little respect for women. Give several examples of how this lack of respect is demonstrated in the play, including examples of how each of the three men speak about and to Ruth disrespectfully as well as specific instances when they show disrespect through their actions.
Essay Topic 3
Max shows disappointment with his sons. Discuss how Max demonstrates this disappointment, giving specific examples for Lenny, Joey, and Teddy. For what reasons do you think that Max is so clearly disappointed with each of his sons? Comment on whether you think his disappointment in any of his sons is warranted and explain why or why not.
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)