|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sam describe Jessie?
2. Where does Lenny tell Ruth he thinks Teddy has been?
3. What complaint does Max have about his sons?
4. What does Max tell Lenny to stop?
5. What does Max describe as "one flow of stinking pus after another?"
Short Essay Questions
1. "The Homecoming" takes place in an old London house where four men live. Who are these men and how are they related to each other?
2. What does Max mean when he uses the phrase "one flow of stinking pus after another?"
3. When Teddy arrives at his family's home, what does he find unchanged?
4. After Lenny tells Ruth the story about a violent act he once committed, what story does he then tell Ruth about about an old woman?
5. During the argument over the glass of water, what does Ruth dare Lenny to do?
6. Throughout the play, Max verbally abuses his son Joey; give an example of this verbal abuse.
7. Why does Lenny say he is angry at Ruth for calling him by his full name, Leonard?
8. What does Lenny ask his father about the night he was conceived?
9. What does Max say about his understanding of female horses?
10. What evidence do we have that Max dominates his brother Sam, as well as his own sons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In your opinion, is the ending of the play a.) satisfactory and b.) plausible? Explain by giving specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Max refers to generations of his family as being "one flow of stinking pus after another." Explain how the characters in "The Homecoming" are part of the circle of violence which has affected three different generations of Max's family. Give specific examples; include at least three characters in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
When Ruth first arrives at the family home, she is nearly silent. By the end of the play, she has become the dominant figure. In what specific ways has Ruth changed and what specific reasons do you think account for her change?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)