|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occupation does Lenny tell Ruth he's always imagined for himself?
2. What reason does Sam give for believing that he is the best at his job?
3. As the play begins, Lenny is in the living room of the house where he lives with which two other people?
4. What complaint does Max have about his sons?
5. Who has fond memories of a father who played with him and took good care of him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conflicting information does Max give about MacGregor (his father)?
2. Who is Jessie and what do we learn about her at the beginning of the play?
3. After Lenny tells Ruth the story about a violent act he once committed, what story does he then tell Ruth about about an old woman?
4. What does Lenny ask his father about the night he was conceived?
5. Lenny says he envies Teddy for what reasons?
6. How does Max respond to Lenny's question about his conception?
7. Why does Lenny say he is angry at Ruth for calling him by his full name, Leonard?
8. "The Homecoming" takes place in an old London house where four men live. Who are these men and how are they related to each other?
9. Which characters, although not seen onstage, are mentioned frequently throughout the play, and how is each related to Max?
10. When Lenny first greets his brother, why does the conversation involve a clock?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of rejection in the play. Include examples of the way at least four characters experience rejection or reject another character.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the impact of the character of MacGregor who, although never actually appearing in the play, has a profound influence on the family.
Essay Topic 3
Max refers to generations of his family as being "one flow of stinking pus after another." Explain how the characters in "The Homecoming" are part of the circle of violence which has affected three different generations of Max's family. Give specific examples; include at least three characters in your answer.
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)