|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he first appears in the play, Max enters the living room and is looking for a scissor for what reason?
2. How does Sam describe Jessie?
3. What does Max tell Lenny to stop?
4. What did Lenny tell Ruth he had been asked to help an old woman with?
5. What does Max want Sam to do when Joey goes upstairs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Jessie and what do we learn about her at the beginning of the play?
2. What is the relationship between Max and Rose and what two other characters have the same relationship?
3. During the argument over the glass of water, what does Ruth dare Lenny to do?
4. Just after they arrive at the house, what does Teddy reassure Ruth about?
5. Explain how Sam feels about his performance at work.
6. What does Max say about his understanding of female horses?
7. Why does Lenny say he is angry at Ruth for calling him by his full name, Leonard?
8. What does Max mean when he uses the phrase "one flow of stinking pus after another?"
9. "The Homecoming" takes place in an old London house where four men live. Who are these men and how are they related to each other?
10. What does Lenny ask his father about the night he was conceived?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the occupations of Max, Sam, Teddy, and Joey. Explain why the playwright might have chosen those particular occupations.
Essay Topic 2
The subject of prostitution comes up several times during the play. Give at least two examples and explain what larger implication this subject carries.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the ending of the play in terms of what it means for Max, for Ruth, and for the future of each of the characters in the play.
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)