|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lenny comes downstairs, what reason does he give for not being able to sleep?
2. What does Ruth dare Lenny to do?
3. How long does Teddy tell Lenny he will be staying?
4. In what sport does Joey participate?
5. What does Max describe as "one flow of stinking pus after another?"
Short Essay Questions
1. After Lenny tells Ruth the story about a violent act he once committed, what story does he then tell Ruth about about an old woman?
2. What does Lenny ask his father about the night he was conceived?
3. The first time Lenny is alone with Ruth, what kinds of personal information does he share with her?
4. When Lenny first greets his brother, why does the conversation involve a clock?
5. What story Lenny tells Ruth after he has asked to hold her hand?
6. When Teddy arrives at his family's home, what does he find unchanged?
7. Who is Jessie and what do we learn about her at the beginning of the play?
8. What does Max mean when he uses the phrase "one flow of stinking pus after another?"
9. Throughout the play, Max verbally abuses his son Joey; give an example of this verbal abuse.
10. When Max comes downstairs complaining of noise, what kind of an explanation does Lenny give?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is evident that Max Joey, and Lenny have little respect for women. Give several examples of how this lack of respect is demonstrated in the play, including examples of how each of the three men speak about and to Ruth disrespectfully as well as specific instances when they show disrespect through their actions.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the character of Sam, giving several examples which exemplifies why, although he is a symbol of goodness in the play, he is so ineffective at trying to mediate when it comes to family squabbles.
Essay Topic 3
In your opinion, is the ending of the play a.) satisfactory and b.) plausible? Explain by giving specific examples.
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)