|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Max give for Sam having never married?
2. Who has fond memories of a father who played with him and took good care of him?
3. What complaint does Max have about his sons?
4. When he first appears in the play, Max enters the living room and is looking for a scissor for what reason?
5. When Max comes downstairs, what does he say woke him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Jessie and what do we learn about her at the beginning of the play?
2. The first time Lenny is alone with Ruth, what kinds of personal information does he share with her?
3. After Lenny tells Ruth the story about a violent act he once committed, what story does he then tell Ruth about about an old woman?
4. How does Max respond to Lenny's question about his conception?
5. "The Homecoming" takes place in an old London house where four men live. Who are these men and how are they related to each other?
6. When Teddy arrives at his family's home, what does he find unchanged?
7. What does Max mean when he uses the phrase "one flow of stinking pus after another?"
8. Lenny says he envies Teddy for what reasons?
9. When Max comes downstairs complaining of noise, what kind of an explanation does Lenny give?
10. Why does Lenny say he is angry at Ruth for calling him by his full name, Leonard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Max refers to generations of his family as being "one flow of stinking pus after another." Explain how the characters in "The Homecoming" are part of the circle of violence which has affected three different generations of Max's family. Give specific examples; include at least three characters in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Max shows disappointment with his sons. Discuss how Max demonstrates this disappointment, giving specific examples for Lenny, Joey, and Teddy. For what reasons do you think that Max is so clearly disappointed with each of his sons? Comment on whether you think his disappointment in any of his sons is warranted and explain why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the relationship between Teddy and Ruth. Explain what evidence exists which shows care and concern on the part of either or both characters. Discuss the conflicts evident in their marriage and the consequence of those conflicts.
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)