|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Just after Teddy comes downstairs on the afternoon of their second day at the house, what do Lenny and Ruth do as Teddy watches?
(a) They slow dance and kiss.
(b) They light a fire in the fireplace.
(c) They go into the kitchen together.
(d) They look at photos together.
2. When Sam comes in from the kitchen, what does Max accuse Sam of doing?
(a) Making noise out of resentment
(b) Forgetting to pick up the groceries
(c) Taking other people's sides
(d) Breaking the radio
3. When Teddy comes downstairs while Ruth and Lenny are talking together, what does Lenny do?
(a) He turns on the radio.
(b) He asks Teddy to stay for a few more days.
(c) He picks up the newspaper and begins reading.
(d) He tells Teddy not to interrupt their conversation.
4. After chastising Teddy for bringing Ruth into his house, who does Max ask to throw Ruth and Teddy out?
(c) The neighbor
5. As Lenny joins the conversation that Ruth, Lenny, and Teddy have been engaged in after lunch, what subject does Lenny ask Teddy about?
(a) Lenny asks Teddy why it's taken him so long to visit.
(b) Lenny asks if Teddy is a good father.
(c) Lenny asks a question about being a doctor of philosophy.
(d) Lenny asks if Teddy makes enough money to support his family.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ruth says she was different before she and Teddy were married, what does Teddy say.?
2. While Max is questioning Teddy about when he plans to leave, how does Lenny interact with Ruth?
3. After Sam, Lenny, Max, and Teddy have finished lunch and are smoking cigars, on what are they complimenting Ruth?
4. After the conversation with Ruth in which he asks her to go home with him, what does Teddy do?
5. How does Joey respond to Max's invitation to spend the afternoon with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ruth say she did for a living before she was married?
2. What does Teddy tell Max about his family life with Ruth?
3. What argument do Max and Joey have at the beginning of the Act 1, Scene 3?
4. What is Teddy's response to Ruth's question about whether the family has read any of his works?
5. What similarity is there between Teddy and Ruth's family and Max and Jessie's family?
6. By the end of the first act, which characters has Max abused both verbally and physically?
7. What comparison does Ruth make when referring to the relationship between words and actions?
8. Why does Max hit Joey?
9. When Teddy and Ruth come downstairs and surprise Max, what is the first thing he wants to know?
10. What word does Teddy used to describe the members of his family?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)