|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After chastising Teddy for bringing Ruth into his house, who does Max ask to throw Ruth and Teddy out?
(d) The neighbor
2. When Lenny re-enters the room after Teddy and Ruth have had their private discussion, what kind of small talk does Ruth engage in with Lenny?
(a) She talks about an article she read in the paper.
(b) She talks about how the living room is decorated.
(c) She talks about a certain kind of shoe she is fond of.
(d) She talks about how the weather is changing.
3. What do Sam, Teddy. Joey, and Lenny do after Max physically abuses Sam?
(a) Everyone places blame where they think it is due.
(b) Everyone leaves the room.
(c) Everyone looks at Ruth.
(d) Everyone is still.
4. The first time Max meets Ruth, what doe Teddy tell Max about her?
(a) Teddy tells Max that he lives in New York.
(b) Teddy tells Max that Ruth is his wife.
(c) Teddy says that he is planning to just stay overnight.
(d) Teddy tells Max that Ruth is his girlfriend.
5. How many children does Ruth have?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nature of the family business?
2. What happens to the person who tries to help Joey after Max has hit him in the stomach?
3. What is the relationship between the two characters who are up early at the beginning of Act I, Scene 3?
4. After Ruth tells Lenny where she was born, where does Max tell Joey he needs to go?
5. According to Max, when his father was dying, what did he tell Max to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of response does Teddy make to his brothers' caressing Ruth?
2. What does Teddy tell Max about his family life with Ruth?
3. What is Teddy's response to Ruth's question about whether the family has read any of his works?
4. What kinds of demands does Ruth make on the brothers?
5. What argument do Max and Joey have at the beginning of the Act 1, Scene 3?
6. What violent action does Max take against Sam?
7. What similarity is there between Teddy and Ruth's family and Max and Jessie's family?
8. Describe Max's initial reaction to Ruth.
9. According to Max, what did his father ask him to do when he was dying?
10. For what does Max criticize Sam when Sam is in the kitchen?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)