|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After lunch, Max abruptly turns his attention from reminiscing to Sam. Who does he compare Sam to?
(a) A famous boxer
(d) Himself (Max)
2. As the men compliment Ruth after lunch, what is Max reminiscing about?
(a) His days as a football player
(b) His childhood
(c) His days at the horse track
(d) His wife
3. Which two characters have been out working when the play begins but come home before Ruth and Teddy arrive?
(a) Max and Sam
(b) Lenny and Sam
(c) Joey and Max
(d) Joey and Sam
4. What is the nature of the family business?
5. The first time Max meets Ruth, what doe Teddy tell Max about her?
(a) Teddy tells Max that Ruth is his girlfriend.
(b) Teddy says that he is planning to just stay overnight.
(c) Teddy tells Max that he lives in New York.
(d) Teddy tells Max that Ruth is his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. After chastising Teddy for bringing Ruth into his house, who does Max ask to throw Ruth and Teddy out?
2. After Sam, Lenny, Max, and Teddy have finished lunch and are smoking cigars, on what are they complimenting Ruth?
3. In his long speech, what does Tedd say he won't do?
4. How does Joey respond to Max's invitation to spend the afternoon with him?
5. When Max asks Teddy if he wants to cuddle and kiss his father, what does Max tell the rest of the family about Teddy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of response does Teddy make to his brothers' caressing Ruth?
2. Describe Max's initial reaction to Ruth.
3. What is Teddy's response to Ruth's question about whether the family has read any of his works?
4. What violent action does Max take against Sam?
5. What did Ruth say she did for a living before she was married?
6. What word does Teddy used to describe the members of his family?
7. What is Ruth's response to Teddy's urging her to pack up and go home with him?
8. By the end of the first act, which characters has Max not physically or verbally abused?
9. When Teddy and Ruth come downstairs and surprise Max, what is the first thing he wants to know?
10. By the end of the first act, which characters has Max abused both verbally and physically?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)