|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ruth's response when Teddy asks her to go home?
(a) She shouts at him to leave her alone.
(b) She hugs him.
(c) She tries to reason with him.
(d) She is non-committal and almost non-responsive.
2. What is the relationship between the two characters who are up early at the beginning of Act I, Scene 3?
(b) Uncle and Nephew
(c) Father and Son
(d) Husband and wife
3. What does Sam do before he leaves for work after lunch?
(a) Sam shakes Ruth's hand.
(b) Sam tells Teddy a secret.
(c) Sam tries to get Max to apologize.
(d) Sam washes the breakfast dishes.
4. When Teddy comes downstairs while Ruth and Lenny are talking together, what does Lenny do?
(a) He turns on the radio.
(b) He tells Teddy not to interrupt their conversation.
(c) He picks up the newspaper and begins reading.
(d) He asks Teddy to stay for a few more days.
5. What is the nature of the family business?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lenny re-enters the room after Teddy and Ruth have had their private discussion, what kind of small talk does Ruth engage in with Lenny?
2. After Ruth falls onto the floor, what does she ask for?
3. When Teddy comes downstairs after his father and brothers have come home from the gym, what does Max ask him?
4. According to Max, when his father was dying, what did he tell Max to do?
5. In his long speech, what does Teddy say about his family's intelligence level?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of response does Teddy make to his brothers' caressing Ruth?
2. For what does Max criticize Sam when Sam is in the kitchen?
3. What is Teddy's response to Ruth's question about whether the family has read any of his works?
4. Act One, scene 3 begins the morning after Teddy and Ruth have arrived; what characters have not yet met Ruth?
5. What comparison does Ruth make when referring to the relationship between words and actions?
6. What does Joey do in his uncle's defense when Max criticizes Sam?
7. What does Teddy tell Max about his family life with Ruth?
8. What is Ruth's response to Teddy's urging her to pack up and go home with him?
9. When Teddy and Ruth come downstairs and surprise Max, what is the first thing he wants to know?
10. What kinds of demands does Ruth make on the brothers?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)