|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Max sees Ruth for the first time, what does he ask Teddy?
(a) Max asks where Teddy is living.
(b) Max asks if Teddy has a job.
(c) Max asks who gave him permission to bring a tart into the house.
(d) Max asks how long he is planning to stay.
2. After Max criticizes Sam about his contributions to the family, what does Sam suggest that Max do?
(a) Sam suggests they wake everyone up.
(b) Sam suggests they all go to a football game.
(c) Sam suggests that Max finish washing the dishes.
(d) Sam suggests that Max get over his resentment.
3. What does Sam do before he leaves for work after lunch?
(a) Sam washes the breakfast dishes.
(b) Sam shakes Ruth's hand.
(c) Sam tells Teddy a secret.
(d) Sam tries to get Max to apologize.
4. After Sam leaves for work, what comment does Max make to Teddy about his wedding?
(a) Max says he is disappointed that he wasn't invited.
(b) Max said he would have paid for it had he known it was a proper white wedding.
(c) Max says that they should have gotten married at his home.
(d) Max says that Teddy was too young to be married.
5. Which two characters have been out working when the play begins but come home before Ruth and Teddy arrive?
(a) Joey and Max
(b) Max and Sam
(c) Lenny and Sam
(d) Joey and Sam
Short Answer Questions
1. In the conversation after lunch, what happens when Teddy can't answer the question Lenny asks him?
2. Why does Max collapse after he verbally abuses Ruth for the first time?
3. According to Max, when his father was dying, what did he tell Max to do?
4. In reminiscing after lunch, what does Max refer to Jessie as?
5. Which of the following characters has been discussed but has never appeared on stage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ruth's response to Teddy's urging her to pack up and go home with him?
2. For what does Max criticize Sam when Sam is in the kitchen?
3. What is Teddy's response to Ruth's question about whether the family has read any of his works?
4. What does Joey do in his uncle's defense when Max criticizes Sam?
5. By the end of the first act, which characters has Max not physically or verbally abused?
6. When Teddy and Ruth come downstairs and surprise Max, what is the first thing he wants to know?
7. According to Max, what did his father ask him to do when he was dying?
8. According to Teddy, how is Ruth different since their marriage?
9. What kind of response does Teddy make to his brothers' caressing Ruth?
10. Describe Max's initial reaction to Ruth.
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)