|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What comparison does Ruth use in her discussion with Lenny after Teddy has been mocked by Lenny?
(a) The love of a boy for his horse
(b) The relationship between the movement of her leg and the movement of her underwear
(c) The seeds in a pod and the growth of a tree
(d) the setting of the sun and the emergence of the stars
2. What does Ruth tell Lenny about her life before she married Teddy?
(a) She says she used to think she would never marry.
(b) She says she was a school teacher.
(c) She says she used to always go out in the evenings.
(d) She says she was a photographic model.
3. To whom does Max compare Sam?
(b) Himself (Max)
4. After lunch, Max abruptly turns his attention from reminiscing to Sam. Who does he compare Sam to?
(a) A famous boxer
(b) Himself (Max)
5. What is the nature of the family business?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Max collapse after he verbally abuses Ruth for the first time?
2. What happens to the person who tries to help Joey after Max has hit him in the stomach?
3. What does Max say about whether or not he followed his father's wishes?
4. How does Joey respond to Max's invitation to spend the afternoon with him?
5. After the conversation with Ruth in which he asks her to go home with him, what does Teddy do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comparison does Ruth make when referring to the relationship between words and actions?
2. Why does Max hit Joey?
3. What did Ruth say she did for a living before she was married?
4. When Teddy and Ruth come downstairs and surprise Max, what is the first thing he wants to know?
5. What similarity is there between Teddy and Ruth's family and Max and Jessie's family?
6. In what ways does Max compare his father with Sam?
7. What violent action does Max take against Sam?
8. According to Teddy, how is Ruth different since their marriage?
9. Act One, scene 3 begins the morning after Teddy and Ruth have arrived; what characters have not yet met Ruth?
10. According to Max, what did his father ask him to do when he was dying?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)