|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character does Max refer to as a "maggot" and a "grub"?
2. When Max hits Joey in the stomach because Joey doesn't obey him, who moves to help Joey?
3. According to Max, when his father was dying, what did he tell Max to do?
(a) He told Max to sell the house.
(b) He told Max to take care of his brothers.
(c) He told Max where to find money he had hidden.
(d) He told Max not to let Sam get away with anything.
4. The first time Max meets Ruth, what doe Teddy tell Max about her?
(a) Teddy says that he is planning to just stay overnight.
(b) Teddy tells Max that Ruth is his girlfriend.
(c) Teddy tells Max that he lives in New York.
(d) Teddy tells Max that Ruth is his wife.
5. On the morning after Teddy and Ruth's arrival, just before Max invites Joey to go out with him for the afternoon, what does Max complain about?
(a) Max complains that he is the only one bringing in any money.
(b) Max complains about the noise last night.
(c) Max says he is not feeling well.
(d) Max says he hates every room in the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between the two characters who are up early at the beginning of Act I, Scene 3?
2. After his collapse, Max talks with Ruth about her children and then asks Teddy to do what?
3. When Max and Joey leave after the conversation between Lenny and Ruth, who goes with them?
4. In the conversation after lunch, what happens when Teddy can't answer the question Lenny asks him?
5. When Teddy comes downstairs while Ruth and Lenny are talking together, what does Lenny do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of demands does Ruth make on the brothers?
2. What violent action does Max take against Sam?
3. Act One, scene 3 begins the morning after Teddy and Ruth have arrived; what characters have not yet met Ruth?
4. What did Ruth say she did for a living before she was married?
5. According to Teddy, how is Ruth different since their marriage?
6. What kind of response does Teddy make to his brothers' caressing Ruth?
7. What does Max tell Teddy about Teddy and Ruth's wedding?
8. What word does Teddy used to describe the members of his family?
9. By the end of the first act, which characters has Max abused both verbally and physically?
10. By the end of the first act, which characters has Max not physically or verbally abused?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)