|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After chastising Teddy for bringing Ruth into his house, who does Max ask to throw Ruth and Teddy out?
(c) The neighbor
2. What does Sam do before he leaves for work after lunch?
(a) Sam tries to get Max to apologize.
(b) Sam shakes Ruth's hand.
(c) Sam tells Teddy a secret.
(d) Sam washes the breakfast dishes.
3. After Max criticizes Sam about his contributions to the family, what does Sam suggest that Max do?
(a) Sam suggests that Max get over his resentment.
(b) Sam suggests they wake everyone up.
(c) Sam suggests they all go to a football game.
(d) Sam suggests that Max finish washing the dishes.
4. When Teddy comes downstairs while Ruth and Lenny are talking together, what does Lenny do?
(a) He turns on the radio.
(b) He tells Teddy not to interrupt their conversation.
(c) He picks up the newspaper and begins reading.
(d) He asks Teddy to stay for a few more days.
5. How does Joey respond to Max's invitation to spend the afternoon with him?
(a) Joey says he has to work on his car.
(b) Joey says he has to repair the roof.
(c) Joey says he has to train.
(d) Joey says he has to do an errand for Sam.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the conversation with Ruth in which he asks her to go home with him, what does Teddy do?
2. When Sam comes in from the kitchen, what does Max accuse Sam of doing?
3. What does Ruth say Teddy was nervous about before they came to the family home for this visit?
4. What is the relationship between the two characters who are up early at the beginning of Act I, Scene 3?
5. What does Joey say when Max tells him that he will have time to do what he needs to do and still be able to go with Max?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does Max compare his father with Sam?
2. When Teddy and Ruth come downstairs and surprise Max, what is the first thing he wants to know?
3. Act One, scene 3 begins the morning after Teddy and Ruth have arrived; what characters have not yet met Ruth?
4. What did Ruth say she did for a living before she was married?
5. What violent action does Max take against Sam?
6. What does Max tell Teddy about Teddy and Ruth's wedding?
7. Describe Max's initial reaction to Ruth.
8. What word does Teddy used to describe the members of his family?
9. Why does Max hit Joey?
10. By the end of the first act, which characters has Max abused both verbally and physically?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)