|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters has been discussed but has never appeared on stage?
2. When Teddy comes downstairs while Ruth and Lenny are talking together, what does Lenny do?
(a) He tells Teddy not to interrupt their conversation.
(b) He asks Teddy to stay for a few more days.
(c) He turns on the radio.
(d) He picks up the newspaper and begins reading.
3. After his collapse, Max talks with Ruth about her children and then asks Teddy to do what?
(a) Max asks Teddy to take Ruth out of the house.
(b) Max asks Teddy if he wants to cuddle and kiss his father.
(c) Max asks Teddy to give the family some money.
(d) Max asks Teddy to stay for a few more days.
4. After questioning Teddy , what does Max say about Ruth?
(a) She is a good cook.
(b) She is a woman of feeling.
(c) She should leave.
(d) She is lucky Teddy married her.
5. To whom does Max compare Sam?
(b) Himself (Max)
Short Answer Questions
1. While Max is questioning Teddy about when he plans to leave, how does Joey interact with Ruth?
2. What does Ruth say Teddy was nervous about before they came to the family home for this visit?
3. What does Sam do before he leaves for work after lunch?
4. What is the nature of the family business?
5. What is Sam doing in the kitchen during Max's and Joey's discussion about going out together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of demands does Ruth make on the brothers?
2. What is Teddy's response to Ruth's question about whether the family has read any of his works?
3. According to Teddy, how is Ruth different since their marriage?
4. According to Max, what did his father ask him to do when he was dying?
5. What is Ruth's response to Teddy's urging her to pack up and go home with him?
6. What comparison does Ruth make when referring to the relationship between words and actions?
7. When Teddy and Ruth come downstairs and surprise Max, what is the first thing he wants to know?
8. By the end of the first act, which characters has Max not physically or verbally abused?
9. Describe Max's initial reaction to Ruth.
10. By the end of the first act, which characters has Max abused both verbally and physically?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)