|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Sam, Lenny, Max, and Teddy have finished lunch and are smoking cigars, on what are they complimenting Ruth?
(a) Her figure
(b) Her clothes
(c) Her intelligence
(d) Her cooking
2. In his long speech, what does Teddy call the members of his family?
3. To whom does Max compare Sam?
(b) Himself (Max)
4. According to Max, when his father was dying, what did he tell Max to do?
(a) He told Max where to find money he had hidden.
(b) He told Max to sell the house.
(c) He told Max not to let Sam get away with anything.
(d) He told Max to take care of his brothers.
5. When Joey, Max, and Lenny return home from the gym on the afternoon of the second day, what does Joey do?
(a) Takes Ruth to the sofa and kisses her
(b) Reminds Lenny not to light fires in the fireplace
(c) Argues with Teddy
(d) Goes upstairs
Short Answer Questions
1. After Ruth falls onto the floor, what does she ask for?
2. As the men compliment Ruth after lunch, what is Max reminiscing about?
3. After questioning Teddy , what does Max say about Ruth?
4. What two characters are up early the next morning at the opening of Act I, Scene 3?
5. After the conversation with Ruth in which he asks her to go home with him, what does Teddy do?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Act Two opens, what positive and negative comments does Max make about his late wife?
2. What does Teddy tell Max about his family life with Ruth?
3. What does Max tell Teddy about Teddy and Ruth's wedding?
4. What did Ruth say she did for a living before she was married?
5. Act One, scene 3 begins the morning after Teddy and Ruth have arrived; what characters have not yet met Ruth?
6. By the end of the first act, which characters has Max not physically or verbally abused?
7. In what ways does Max compare his father with Sam?
8. What argument do Max and Joey have at the beginning of the Act 1, Scene 3?
9. By the end of the first act, which characters has Max abused both verbally and physically?
10. When Teddy and Ruth come downstairs and surprise Max, what is the first thing he wants to know?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)