|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Max criticizes Sam about his contributions to the family, what does Sam suggest that Max do?
(a) Sam suggests they all go to a football game.
(b) Sam suggests that Max get over his resentment.
(c) Sam suggests they wake everyone up.
(d) Sam suggests that Max finish washing the dishes.
2. In reminiscing after lunch, what does Max refer to Jessie as?
(a) A tigress
(b) A "slutbitch of a wife"
(c) A tart
(d) An angel
3. What do Sam, Teddy. Joey, and Lenny do after Max physically abuses Sam?
(a) Everyone places blame where they think it is due.
(b) Everyone looks at Ruth.
(c) Everyone is still.
(d) Everyone leaves the room.
4. In his long speech, what does Teddy say about his family's intelligence level?
(a) They don't have the capacity to understand his writing.
(b) They are unintelligent.
(c) They are bright but uneducated.
(d) They misunderstand everything.
5. According to Max, when his father was dying, what did he tell Max to do?
(a) He told Max not to let Sam get away with anything.
(b) He told Max where to find money he had hidden.
(c) He told Max to sell the house.
(d) He told Max to take care of his brothers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Sam say was a hard worker and a fast learner?
2. What does Ruth say Teddy was nervous about before they came to the family home for this visit?
3. After lunch, Max abruptly turns his attention from reminiscing to Sam. Who does he compare Sam to?
4. When trying to convince her to go home with him, what does Teddy remind Ruth of?
5. What does Sam do before he leaves for work after lunch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Max's initial reaction to Ruth.
2. What does Teddy tell Max about his family life with Ruth?
3. Act One, scene 3 begins the morning after Teddy and Ruth have arrived; what characters have not yet met Ruth?
4. What similarity is there between Teddy and Ruth's family and Max and Jessie's family?
5. What kind of response does Teddy make to his brothers' caressing Ruth?
6. What does Max tell Teddy about Teddy and Ruth's wedding?
7. According to Max, what did his father ask him to do when he was dying?
8. What argument do Max and Joey have at the beginning of the Act 1, Scene 3?
9. What does Joey do in his uncle's defense when Max criticizes Sam?
10. When Teddy and Ruth come downstairs and surprise Max, what is the first thing he wants to know?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)