|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After chastising Teddy for bringing Ruth into his house, who does Max ask to throw Ruth and Teddy out?
(a) The neighbor
2. What does Max do to Sam when Sam tries to help Max after he collapses?
(a) Max throws a dish at Sam.
(b) Max hits Sam with his cane.
(c) Max punches Sam in the stomach.
(d) Max yells out Sam's secret.
3. In reminiscing after lunch, what does Max refer to Jessie as?
(a) A tigress
(b) A "slutbitch of a wife"
(c) A tart
(d) An angel
4. What do Sam, Teddy. Joey, and Lenny do after Max physically abuses Sam?
(a) Everyone is still.
(b) Everyone leaves the room.
(c) Everyone places blame where they think it is due.
(d) Everyone looks at Ruth.
5. After Max criticizes Sam about his contributions to the family, what does Sam suggest that Max do?
(a) Sam suggests that Max get over his resentment.
(b) Sam suggests they all go to a football game.
(c) Sam suggests they wake everyone up.
(d) Sam suggests that Max finish washing the dishes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joey say when Max tells him that he will have time to do what he needs to do and still be able to go with Max?
2. The first time Max meets Ruth, what doe Teddy tell Max about her?
3. What comparison does Ruth use in her discussion with Lenny after Teddy has been mocked by Lenny?
4. After Ruth tells Lenny where she was born, where does Max tell Joey he needs to go?
5. After he reminisces, what does Max ask Sam?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Max, what did his father ask him to do when he was dying?
2. Act One, scene 3 begins the morning after Teddy and Ruth have arrived; what characters have not yet met Ruth?
3. What violent action does Max take against Sam?
4. What argument do Max and Joey have at the beginning of the Act 1, Scene 3?
5. What kinds of demands does Ruth make on the brothers?
6. What does Joey do in his uncle's defense when Max criticizes Sam?
7. Describe Max's initial reaction to Ruth.
8. For what does Max criticize Sam when Sam is in the kitchen?
9. In what ways does Max compare his father with Sam?
10. What is Teddy's response to Ruth's question about whether the family has read any of his works?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)