|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After he reminisces, what does Max ask Sam?
(a) Max asks Sam to stop whistling.
(b) Max asks Sam to wash the breakfast dishes.
(c) Max asks Sam to give him a few bucks.
(d) Max asks Sam when he's going to work.
2. What happens to the person who tries to help Joey after Max has hit him in the stomach?
(a) He trips over the broken clock.
(b) Max tells him to get out
(c) Max hits him on the head with his cane.
(d) He is congratulated by the other family members.
3. In his long speech, what does Tedd say he won't do?
(a) Come back again to see the family
(b) Become lost in his family's lives
(c) Stoop to his family's level
(d) Give his family anything
4. On the morning after Teddy and Ruth's arrival, just before Max invites Joey to go out with him for the afternoon, what does Max complain about?
(a) Max says he is not feeling well.
(b) Max says he hates every room in the house.
(c) Max complains that he is the only one bringing in any money.
(d) Max complains about the noise last night.
5. After Max criticizes Sam about his contributions to the family, what does Sam suggest that Max do?
(a) Sam suggests they wake everyone up.
(b) Sam suggests that Max finish washing the dishes.
(c) Sam suggests they all go to a football game.
(d) Sam suggests that Max get over his resentment.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Sam comes in from the kitchen, what does Max accuse Sam of doing?
2. When Max hits Joey in the stomach because Joey doesn't obey him, who moves to help Joey?
3. To whom does Max compare Sam?
4. What kind of response does Max get from the family to his question about the surprising appearance of his son and a woman Max does not know, suddenly standing in his living room?
5. After questioning Teddy , what does Max say about Ruth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Teddy tell Max about his family life with Ruth?
2. What similarity is there between Teddy and Ruth's family and Max and Jessie's family?
3. What kind of response does Teddy make to his brothers' caressing Ruth?
4. What is Ruth's response to Teddy's urging her to pack up and go home with him?
5. Describe Max's initial reaction to Ruth.
6. What argument do Max and Joey have at the beginning of the Act 1, Scene 3?
7. According to Max, what did his father ask him to do when he was dying?
8. What does Max tell Teddy about Teddy and Ruth's wedding?
9. For what does Max criticize Sam when Sam is in the kitchen?
10. In what ways does Max compare his father with Sam?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)