|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his long speech, what does Teddy call the members of his family?
2. What is Sam doing in the kitchen during Max's and Joey's discussion about going out together?
(a) Sam is chopping carrots.
(b) Sam is washing the dishes.
(c) Sam is repairing the radio.
(d) Sam is talking to Lenny.
3. After questioning Teddy , what does Max say about Ruth?
(a) She is a good cook.
(b) She is a woman of feeling.
(c) She should leave.
(d) She is lucky Teddy married her.
4. What does Ruth say Teddy was nervous about before they came to the family home for this visit?
(a) Ruth says Teddy was nervous about traveling.
(b) Ruth says Teddy was nervous that Max wouldn't like her.
(c) Ruth says Teddy was nervous about seeing his family.
(d) Ruth says Teddy was nervous about the money they spent on the trip.
5. After Lenny mocks Teddy's inability to answer his question, what subject does the conversation change to?
(a) How words and actions relate to each other
(b) The importance of the study of anantomy
(c) The high price of clothing
(d) Violence in families
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Sam say was a hard worker and a fast learner?
2. What kind of response does Max get from the family to his question about the surprising appearance of his son and a woman Max does not know, suddenly standing in his living room?
3. What does Sam do before he leaves for work after lunch?
4. After Ruth falls onto the floor, what does she ask for?
5. In his long speech, what does Teddy say about his family's intelligence level?
Short Essay Questions
1. What violent action does Max take against Sam?
2. Act One, scene 3 begins the morning after Teddy and Ruth have arrived; what characters have not yet met Ruth?
3. By the end of the first act, which characters has Max not physically or verbally abused?
4. What argument do Max and Joey have at the beginning of the Act 1, Scene 3?
5. Why does Max hit Joey?
6. What does Teddy tell Max about his family life with Ruth?
7. What does Joey do in his uncle's defense when Max criticizes Sam?
8. As Act Two opens, what positive and negative comments does Max make about his late wife?
9. What is Teddy's response to Ruth's question about whether the family has read any of his works?
10. What similarity is there between Teddy and Ruth's family and Max and Jessie's family?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)