|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The first time Max meets Ruth, what doe Teddy tell Max about her?
(a) Teddy tells Max that Ruth is his wife.
(b) Teddy tells Max that Ruth is his girlfriend.
(c) Teddy tells Max that he lives in New York.
(d) Teddy says that he is planning to just stay overnight.
2. In his long speech, what does Teddy say about his family's intelligence level?
(a) They are bright but uneducated.
(b) They are unintelligent.
(c) They don't have the capacity to understand his writing.
(d) They misunderstand everything.
3. What does Sam do before he leaves for work after lunch?
(a) Sam tells Teddy a secret.
(b) Sam washes the breakfast dishes.
(c) Sam tries to get Max to apologize.
(d) Sam shakes Ruth's hand.
4. After Max criticizes Sam about his contributions to the family, what does Sam suggest that Max do?
(a) Sam suggests they all go to a football game.
(b) Sam suggests that Max get over his resentment.
(c) Sam suggests that Max finish washing the dishes.
(d) Sam suggests they wake everyone up.
5. How does Joey respond to Max's invitation to spend the afternoon with him?
(a) Joey says he has to train.
(b) Joey says he has to work on his car.
(c) Joey says he has to repair the roof.
(d) Joey says he has to do an errand for Sam.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two characters have been out working when the play begins but come home before Ruth and Teddy arrive?
2. After chastising Teddy for bringing Ruth into his house, who does Max ask to throw Ruth and Teddy out?
3. Ruth reveals to Lenny that she was born where?
4. When Max realizes that Teddy and Ruth are not going to be thrown out of his house, what does Max do?
5. Which of the following characters has been discussed but has never appeared on stage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Max hit Joey?
2. According to Max, what did his father ask him to do when he was dying?
3. What kind of response does Teddy make to his brothers' caressing Ruth?
4. When Teddy and Ruth come downstairs and surprise Max, what is the first thing he wants to know?
5. According to Teddy, how is Ruth different since their marriage?
6. What kinds of demands does Ruth make on the brothers?
7. What similarity is there between Teddy and Ruth's family and Max and Jessie's family?
8. As Act Two opens, what positive and negative comments does Max make about his late wife?
9. In what ways does Max compare his father with Sam?
10. By the end of the first act, which characters has Max abused both verbally and physically?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)