|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Max compare Sam?
(c) Himself (Max)
2. Ruth reveals to Lenny that she was born where?
(a) In America
(b) In France
(d) In Australia
3. In the conversation after lunch, what happens when Teddy can't answer the question Lenny asks him?
(a) Lenny asks Ruth to answer the question for Teddy.
(b) Lenny tells Teddy to take his time answering.
(c) Lenny pushes Teddy harder and begins to mock him.
(d) Lenny tells Teddy to forget about the question.
4. When Teddy comes downstairs while Ruth and Lenny are talking together, what does Lenny do?
(a) He turns on the radio.
(b) He asks Teddy to stay for a few more days.
(c) He tells Teddy not to interrupt their conversation.
(d) He picks up the newspaper and begins reading.
5. After he reminisces, what does Max ask Sam?
(a) Max asks Sam when he's going to work.
(b) Max asks Sam to stop whistling.
(c) Max asks Sam to give him a few bucks.
(d) Max asks Sam to wash the breakfast dishes.
Short Answer Questions
1. In reminiscing after lunch, what does Max refer to Jessie as?
2. As Lenny joins the conversation that Ruth, Lenny, and Teddy have been engaged in after lunch, what subject does Lenny ask Teddy about?
3. After Max recovers from his collapse, what does he ask Ruth?
4. What two characters are up early the next morning at the opening of Act I, Scene 3?
5. What is Ruth's response when Teddy asks her to go home?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Act Two opens, what positive and negative comments does Max make about his late wife?
2. What is Teddy's response to Ruth's question about whether the family has read any of his works?
3. What violent action does Max take against Sam?
4. What does Joey do in his uncle's defense when Max criticizes Sam?
5. Describe Max's initial reaction to Ruth.
6. When Teddy and Ruth come downstairs and surprise Max, what is the first thing he wants to know?
7. What kind of response does Teddy make to his brothers' caressing Ruth?
8. Act One, scene 3 begins the morning after Teddy and Ruth have arrived; what characters have not yet met Ruth?
9. By the end of the first act, which characters has Max abused both verbally and physically?
10. Why does Max hit Joey?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)